Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 PM
Saint Cad Saint Cad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N of Denver & S of Sanity
Posts: 12,581
2nd unpopular opinion:
We should have a merit-based system for immigration comparable to many other countries. People who complain about Trump's idea should check out what it takes to emigrate to the UK.
__________________
If all else fails, try S.C.E. to Aux.
  #252  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Lamoral Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I've not seen a Sambo's in years.
Something tells me that Sambo's has undergone a rebranding if it still exists.
  #253  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Tamerlane Tamerlane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 13,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
Something tells me that Sambo's has undergone a rebranding if it still exists.
There is one( the original )in Santa Barbara. The rest have been gone since 1982.
  #254  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,566
I hate when people go to family oriented restaurants, or just casual places, and then whine that there are KIDS there -- not kids misbehaving, or screaming, just that kids happen to be present. My aunt and uncle do this all the time.

(Of course, they always find something to complain about whenever they go to a restaurant period)
__________________
Itís not you, itís your sports team.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 01-15-2018 at 10:12 PM.
  #255  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 22,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I hate when people bring kids to restaurants, other than Denny's, because it's kind of a shitty restaurant and having kids there is kind of expected. After all, they have high chairs and booster seats, and normal restaurants don't have this.

I'm expecting in March, and I refuse to be a hypocrite, so I guess I'm going to have to start appreciating Denny's. Hey! I liked it when I was a kid, especially when they started letting me order off of the adult menu.

In order to spare myself the constant repetition of Denny's, are there any other similar restaurants that have high chairs and booster seats and where a poor dining experience (whether due to kids or bad service) is to be expected? I've not seen a Sambo's in years. Are all of these local, non-chain "family style" restaurants this kind of restaurant? I think I remember going to a couple as a kid.

At some point I'm going to have to introduce the little wonder(/brat?) to good restaurants, but not until I can figure out how she behaves in the bad ones.
I have so got the perfect song for you.
  #256  
Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 AM
Urbanredneck Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I hate when people bring kids to restaurants, other than Denny's, because it's kind of a shitty restaurant and having kids there is kind of expected. After all, they have high chairs and booster seats, and normal restaurants don't have this.

I'm expecting in March, and I refuse to be a hypocrite, so I guess I'm going to have to start appreciating Denny's. Hey! I liked it when I was a kid, especially when they started letting me order off of the adult menu.

In order to spare myself the constant repetition of Denny's, are there any other similar restaurants that have high chairs and booster seats and where a poor dining experience (whether due to kids or bad service) is to be expected? I've not seen a Sambo's in years. Are all of these local, non-chain "family style" restaurants this kind of restaurant? I think I remember going to a couple as a kid.

At some point I'm going to have to introduce the little wonder(/brat?) to good restaurants, but not until I can figure out how she behaves in the bad ones.
Most "chain" restaurants like Applebees and Red Robin are pretty family friendly. But they also have alcoholic beverages.
  #257  
Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 AM
Urbanredneck Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,328
I fail to see the point of being a major fan of our local sports franchises. That is pro and college teams.

I'm from Kansas City and yes, I can see some benefit from it like the civic pride when the Royals won the WS a few years ago and I do see how that can bring in some economic benefits but down deep, I know the chiefs and royals are just businesses and their owners could up and leave whenever they want.

Same with college teams. Yes, I went to KU. But I see no benefit following their sports or even buying Jayhawk gear. Frankly I think the college screwed me over. I dont see why my neighbors get all riled up over KU vs MU games and such.
  #258  
Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 38,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Teachers enable and in some cases, encourage bullying.
Quite a few of them are the biggest bully in the class. It's easy when you're head and shoulders taller than every other person present.

But that's not a particularly unpopular opžnion among my cohort. When my former classmates started joining the PTA they got "Frankenstein" and "The Bitch" on probation as soon as they had the votes for it. As one of them put it: "not everybody is good at teaching, but there's a huge difference between being inadequate and being evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
If you chose burial or even cremation instead of full body donation, why?
Because in Spain full body donation had become so common it was actually causing problems. Use the usable parts, then put the rest to rot in my family grave; it's already paid for and worms need to eat too.
__________________
Life ain't peaches and cream, but sometimes it's laughing your ass off when you have no ass. - WhyNot

Last edited by Nava; 01-16-2018 at 07:34 AM.
  #259  
Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 38,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
"Slept together" is simply a figure of speech, like "screwed," "sucked," or "hand pleasured." None should be taken literally, but only one offends you?
It offends me because when I share a bed or a hotel room with someone without having sex with them I need to come up with some convoluted way to describe it, instead of just saying that we slept together, or that we shared a bed, or that we shared the room.

But I feel that way about a lot of euphemisms. Big and morbidly obese are not the same thing, damnit.
__________________
Life ain't peaches and cream, but sometimes it's laughing your ass off when you have no ass. - WhyNot
  #260  
Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 28,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
It offends me because when I share a bed or a hotel room with someone without having sex with them I need to come up with some convoluted way to describe it, instead of just saying that we slept together, or that we shared a bed, or that we shared the room.

But I feel that way about a lot of euphemisms. Big and morbidly obese are not the same thing, damnit.
And then take it to the level above it, where people (at least in America) talk about their "roommates" they are living with even if they don't share a room.

Hmmm, thinking on your situation, you could say "roomed with" but I think "shared a room" is also as close to neutral a description as possible. I think it's the actual sharing a room thing that causes eyebrows to raise, not the words used to describe it, so people who already have that mindset are going to think whatever they are going to think whatever words you use (barring completely entrenched euphemisms like "slept with".) "Shared a bed with" verges on TMI even if it was true so you could just say "shared a room with" unless the fact that there was just one bed was somehow pertinent.
  #261  
Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 AM
jonpluc jonpluc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 413
I have no interest in thanking Troops for their service. I tend to view them as gullible rubes for allowing someone to talk them into deadly indentured servitude for any reason, regardless of how noble they make the brainwashing sound. If we need an Army badly enough for a critical defense event, then we should draft for it and if its a good enough reason, then Parents will allow their children to go without causing a revolution. So to me, volunteering for the "all ready just add water" Military isnt noble, its enabling asshole behavior by our Government that would not be tolerated if we had to draft for the same fights. So i dont really want to thank well intentioned but misguided brainwashed enablers.
__________________
I was born wet naked and
hungry..and it just got worse from
the
  #262  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 AM
jonpluc jonpluc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 413
There is an inverse relationship to the number of tattoos you have and your IQ.
__________________
I was born wet naked and
hungry..and it just got worse from
the
  #263  
Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 PM
slightly askew slightly askew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 672
Girl Scout cookies are disgusting.
  #264  
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Lamoral Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpluc View Post
I have no interest in thanking Troops for their service. I tend to view them as gullible rubes for allowing someone to talk them into deadly indentured servitude for any reason, regardless of how noble they make the brainwashing sound.
The majority of jobs in the military aren't deadly, and you don't know what "indentured servitude" actually means.
  #265  
Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10,244
While I respect the military, I don't get warm fuzzy feelings when I see troops coming home, especially if they're surprising their kids for the TV cameras. I know a little too much about what their families will face in the years to come. Sorry.
  #266  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Enola Straight Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 5,895
You know those those big bullies who value the Second Amendment above all other items in the constitution combined, professes contempt and hatred...biblically justified, of course...for everything that doesn't conform to their macho/bigoted/etc worldview despite not being regular churchgoers, and expects everyone to get in line with their way of thinking?

Well they should be watched, and branded FAILURES when things don't go their way.

You know how they say the top 10% controls the top 90%+ of wealth? Well, how much does the BOTTOM 10% waste?



Tom Waits has an absolutely SHITTY voice.
__________________
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
  #267  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM
AI Proofreader AI Proofreader is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpluc View Post
I have no interest in thanking Troops for their service. I tend to view them as gullible rubes for allowing someone to talk them into deadly indentured servitude for any reason, regardless of how noble they make the brainwashing sound. If we need an Army badly enough for a critical defense event, then we should draft for it and if its a good enough reason, then Parents will allow their children to go without causing a revolution. So to me, volunteering for the "all ready just add water" Military isnt noble, its enabling asshole behavior by our Government that would not be tolerated if we had to draft for the same fights. So i dont really want to thank well intentioned but misguided brainwashed enablers.
I agree with most of the above, except for the "gullible and brainwashed" part. Are there some like that? Sure. But the main recruiting force comes from abject poverty in the U.S. The kind the U.N. recently compared to third world conditions.

It's actually a rational decision for many as the only likely route out of poverty; years of guaranteed employment, paid college and medical coverage for them and their family, and possibly a pension when they're out.

I 100% wish we would shutter most of our 800 military bases and shrink our military, and actually only use it for defense instead of endless offense. But while I don't buy into the "heroes" narrative, I don't blame soldiers either for grabbing a lifeline in our shitty war-based economy so they have a chance of surviving the oligarch-induced poverty that 50% of people have to deal with.
__________________
- Born after "computer" was a synonym for "woman" but before "worker" becomes a synonym for "robot."

Last edited by AI Proofreader; 01-16-2018 at 10:04 PM.
  #268  
Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 AM
UY Scuti UY Scuti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
People who complain about Trump's idea should check out what it takes to emigrate to the UK.
Should people who complain about Trump in general check out the UK Head of State too?
  #269  
Old 01-17-2018, 01:46 AM
Martini Enfield Martini Enfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by UY Scuti View Post
Should people who complain about Trump in general check out the UK Head of State too?
The Queen is highly regarded all around the world and recognised as an experienced and extremely good diplomat, so I'm really not sure what your point is here.
__________________
Note: Please consider yourself and/or your acquaintances excluded from any of the author's sweeping generalisations which you happen to disagree with or have different experiences of.
  #270  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 AM
Mangetout Mangetout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 57,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by UY Scuti View Post
Should people who complain about Trump in general check out the UK Head of State too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
The Queen is highly regarded all around the world and recognised as an experienced and extremely good diplomat, so I'm really not sure what your point is here.
I wonder if UY Scuti meant the UK PM. Our Prime Ministers usually seem to decline in popularity, honesty, competence and integrity as their time in office increases.
  #271  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 AM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 22,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
I wonder if UY Scuti meant the UK PM.
As I understand it, the Queen is considered Head of State in the U.K., while the Prime Minister is Head of Government. The U.S. seems to be in the minority of countries (although it's not exactly rare, either) where the two positions are held by the same person/office.
  #272  
Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 AM
UY Scuti UY Scuti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
The Queen is highly regarded all around the world and recognised as an experienced and extremely good diplomat, so I'm really not sure what your point is here.
If Trump and the Queen are utterly different, so are the USA and UK, in my opinion, due to their history, geography, culture, etc.
  #273  
Old 01-17-2018, 05:48 AM
monstro monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 19,499
"Mommy juice" is stupid, and so are the women who use their motherhood as a pass to be alcoholics.
  #274  
Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Jennshark Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 3,239
There's a TLC "documentary" about a family with six profoundly autistic kids. One kid with neuro issues just happens. The second child with same issues - eh, bad roll of the dice.

Then third kid: maybe it's time to call it stops. Going on to have a fourth, fifth, and sixth autistic child? Wow, could this be a genetic issue? Maybe it's time to call it quits? These kids don't have Aspberger's, they are at the extremes of the autistic scale.

Mind you, many families provide loving, wonderful homes for autistic kids. But not these parents. Conditions were appalling: filthy house, furniture in shreds, walls and doors punched in and smeared with shit no bed linens, and so on. The poor kids sit in corners rocking back and forth, screaming,, and self-injuring; the conditions are basically those of a horrifying state hospital.

The family is impoverished, the kids don't receive any learning or social services. The parent's solution is locking screaming kids. Into bedrooms.

Mom and dad called the kids "gifts from Heaven" sent by God (surprise! They're fundy Evangelicals). Pure Bulllshit. I complained to TLC then contacted CPS in these diot breeders live in and requested a wellness check.

I suppose my opinion may be unpopular because I don't think it's ethical to purposefully bring kids Into a family that can't/won't take care of offspring -- it's abuse of the very worst kind.
  #275  
Old 01-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 21,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
"Mommy juice" is stupid, and so are the women who use their motherhood as a pass to be alcoholics.
Wait, "don't be an alcoholic" is an unpopular opinion nowadays?
  #276  
Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 AM
DKW DKW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,764
Hillary Clinton was an absolutely terrible choice for the Democrats and easily worse than Bernie Sanders (although he had his own problems); the novelty of electing the first woman President was pretty much the only reason to vote for her. However, she would've been a far better president than Donald Trump precisely because she's a woman, and therefore wouldn't be able to get away with the same crap. She would've faced ferocious opposition at every turn, hence be unable to enact her most harmful policies and be forced to negotiate and make compromises. We wouldn't have war with Russia, and we definitely wouldn't have rampant xenophobia and an obsession with coal mining and thousands and thousands of stupid tweets.

YouTube is fantastic. Tons and tons of on-demand entertainment that no other website can come close to matching, with plenty of great people with witty, informative, or thought-provoking comments. Sure it attracts its share of cretins, but it doesn't allow them to run wild, and if you don't start anything most of them will have the good sense to leave you alone. In fact, the only thing I'd change would be to make blocking someone prevent that user's comments from appearing anywhere, not just my personal page (I don't understand the logic behind this at all). I know that are serious issues with things like demonetization and overzealous copyright enforcement, but these are fixable problems, and there's no reason to believe good sense won't eventually prevail.

"No sex until you all cut the crap" is one of the best ways of combating stupid, harmful policies or social injustice. In fact, I'd go a step further: No sex or children. And if this means the human race goes extinct, it'll be exactly what we deserve.

Any attempt to solve problems of homelessness or poverty that doesn't put birth control front and center is in the realm of cockamamie crackpot fantasy. Furthermore, there are many, many, many instances where mandatory sterilization is absolutely justified.

Rape culture, and reprehensible worldviews in general (Nazis, MRAs, PUAs, white supremacists, etc.), will not end until evil men start paying for their crimes with their lives, and then keep dying until society wises the hell up or there are none left to die. Until this happens, we will never see anything more than token, fleeting change.

The argument over the designated hitter is a stupid colossal waste of time, and both leagues should just go with an 8-man batting order. If avenging an HBP is so goddam important, throw a pie in his face or something.

Japan is a pretty damn miserable place overall. Most Americans who took a vacation there would at best be bored as hell, and you'd have to be out of your mind to want to live there.

The PS3 is the best 7th generation console by every metric, and it not even close.
  #277  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:03 AM
AI Proofreader AI Proofreader is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
As I understand it, the Queen is considered Head of State in the U.K., while the Prime Minister is Head of Government. The U.S. seems to be in the minority of countries (although it's not exactly rare, either) where the two positions are held by the same person/office.
Maybe we should consider bringing monarchy back to the U.S.

As a President Trump is unbelievably awful; he'd be way more suited to being a mostly powerless, purely symbolic King though. Excessive opulent wealth, pomp and circumstance, attending ceremonies and celebrations all the time - it would all be right up Trump's alley. And meanwhile we could have a Prime Minister doing the actual governing with Trump just a sideshow. He gets to be King, we get our country back - everybody wins.
__________________
- Born after "computer" was a synonym for "woman" but before "worker" becomes a synonym for "robot."
  #278  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:35 AM
UY Scuti UY Scuti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Proofreader View Post
Maybe we should consider bringing monarchy back to the U.S.
Has the U.S. ever been a monarchy?
  #279  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 AM
Martini Enfield Martini Enfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by UY Scuti View Post
Has the U.S. ever been a monarchy?
Only up until 1783.
__________________
Note: Please consider yourself and/or your acquaintances excluded from any of the author's sweeping generalisations which you happen to disagree with or have different experiences of.
  #280  
Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM
orcenio orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I disagree, with one exception and that country is Somalia. Thankfully, there are very few Somalis in my area, but I understand that every place they're settled, they basically take over and all rules, etc. must be changed to accommodate them, and criticism of them is not allowed. I have never heard one good thing about that community; they've never had to follow laws and often don't comprehend that they have to do that here.

People from Congo, Myanmar, Venezuela (yep, we'll see them in time), Syria, etc.? As long as they're vetted and arrive legally, they are welcome. But not Somalis.

You'll find that, yes Somalis too, can be judged on their merit. Canada's Minister of Immigration, Ahmed Hussen, is a Somali man born and raised in Mogadishu. He's quite accomplished and we're lucky for having him.

Last edited by orcenio; 01-18-2018 at 07:27 AM.
  #281  
Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 AM
Martini Enfield Martini Enfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,407
I've got a doozy: Advocating to change the date of Australia Day so the SJWs and virtue-signallers can feel good about themselves should be treated as sedition.
__________________
Note: Please consider yourself and/or your acquaintances excluded from any of the author's sweeping generalisations which you happen to disagree with or have different experiences of.
  #282  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Melbourne Melbourne is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,849
nm

Last edited by Melbourne; 01-19-2018 at 06:29 PM.
  #283  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Spectre of Pithecanthropus Spectre of Pithecanthropus is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not here. There.
Posts: 18,974
I was going to say I don't think much of Bruce Springsteen, but having recently watched a concert of his on TV I have to say he puts on a great show.
__________________
Refusing to choose the lesser of two evils may be tantamount to choosing the greater.
  #284  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Spectre of Pithecanthropus Spectre of Pithecanthropus is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not here. There.
Posts: 18,974
nm...couldn't quote a spoiler.
__________________
Refusing to choose the lesser of two evils may be tantamount to choosing the greater.

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 01-21-2018 at 04:30 PM.
  #285  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Surreal Surreal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,146
This site is not about fighting ignorance.
  #286  
Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 AM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
This site is not about fighting ignorance.
Yes it is.



  #287  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:25 AM
mbh mbh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,014
Religious zealots tend to have larger families than secularists. Religious zealots can corrupt the secularists' children just as fast as the secularists can corrupt the zealots' children. Secular societies tend to have birthrates below replacement level.

This increases the probability that, when we get old, we will end up in nursing homes operated by the religious people's children. Won't that be fun?

If secularists want the future to be secular, we need to start breeding faster.

==========================

Rotoscoping is one tool in an animator's toolkit.
It can be done well, or it can be done poorly, depending on what the artist chooses to do with it.
"This particular rotoscoped film was done badly," is a display of taste.
"This film is bad because it was rotoscoped," is a display of snobbery.

==============================

The tea bag is a perfectly valid method to brew a small quantity of tea. I know that the better brands don't come in bags, but that is the manufacturers' fault, not the technology's.

=================================

Any deity who would create Quantum Mechanics must be a trickster, like Coyote or the Monkey King. It is certainly not the cranky old curmudgeon of the Abramic religions.
  #288  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 AM
phantom lamb phantom lamb is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 394
Beer tastes terrible and many people probably lie about liking it.

Unwanted compliments or unwanted patting are not even in the same ball park as forcible rape.

In a few centuries eating animal flesh in the developed world will be viewed as unethical as slavery is today.

As a het woman, I find the current trend of bearded guys hideously unattractive.

Last edited by phantom lamb; 01-22-2018 at 06:33 AM.
  #289  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 AM
phantom lamb phantom lamb is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post

If you chose burial or even cremation instead of full body donation, why?

Apart from religious reasons, lots of people have difficulty to comprehend the transition from life into death and all that it entails - in terms of your physical body. This is in my opinion completely understandable because your physical body is all that anyone has during their existence. In fact, I find people who are able to overcome this hurdle more strange (albeit very admirable, of course).
  #290  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:03 AM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 77,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Hillary Clinton was an absolutely terrible choice for the Democrats and easily worse than Bernie Sanders (although he had his own problems); the novelty of electing the first woman President was pretty much the only reason to vote for her.
That's not an unpopular opinion. That's a delusion.

Hillary Clinton is not Oprah Winfrey. She had been a Senator and a Secretary of State. Those are real objective qualifications.
  #291  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 AM
bmasters1 bmasters1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 376
One about television: that a British version of Supermarket Sweep w/Dale Winton is much better than the one we had here in America w/David Ruprecht.
  #292  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Deepest South London
Posts: 21,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
Drugs, casual sex, and fantasy escapism are so prevalent because our society is sick, atomized, and alienated. These are coping mechanisms.
It's true that these are coping mechanisms but they are not new ones; in fact they're as old as human civilization (and probably older). The only thing that has changed is the number of people and the ease with which we can access drugs, casual sex and fantasy escapism and view others' consumption of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Beer tastes like shit, and coffee tastes worse than beer.
I'm not a particular fan of either coffee or beer but weirdly have developed a taste for coffee porter. No, I don't understand it either.

Another opinion: I don' t like Les Mis the musical. I mean, the book was fine and the film was well done (and all power to Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, etc) but the whole thing is just a noisy, shouty, maudlin mess.

And one of my best friends is Somali-born and an amazing, selfless woman.
__________________
"Don't delude yourself into thinking we're interested in you. We're just here for the trainwreck, man." - DooWahDiddy
  #293  
Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Spectre of Pithecanthropus Spectre of Pithecanthropus is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not here. There.
Posts: 18,974
I didn't think the Chrysler PT Cruiser was such a horrible looking car.

I might have already said this...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Refusing to choose the lesser of two evils may be tantamount to choosing the greater.

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 01-22-2018 at 12:19 PM.
  #294  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,870
Pressuring yourself to think positively is bad for your mental health.

There's nothing wrong with complaining, however trivial the complaint.

People cannot control their thoughts or emotions (though these can be shaped over the long term.)
  #295  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Kiber Kiber is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 491
I don't like the movie Raising Arizona.
I do like watching curling.
I think Nixon was one of the 5 best presidents.
  #296  
Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 PM
smithsb smithsb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mid-Pacific
Posts: 2,756
The sexy models posing in swimsuits while coated with sand is NOT a turn-on. Based on my sensitive man-parts and ladies I've known sensitive girl-parts; Adding sand, thousands of microscopic critters looking for a meal, and salt is not my definition of a "good time."
  #297  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Spectre of Pithecanthropus Spectre of Pithecanthropus is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not here. There.
Posts: 18,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
I didn't think the Chrysler PT Cruiser was such a horrible looking car.

I might have already said this...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ETA: I also liked the convertible!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Refusing to choose the lesser of two evils may be tantamount to choosing the greater.
  #298  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM
Helena330 Helena330 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,355
Bacon is gross. I know, I know, I've already heard how crazy I am a thousand times!
  #299  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:35 PM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Bacon is gross. I know, I know, I've already heard how crazy I am a thousand times!
That's okay, it just leaves more for the rest of us!
  #300  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 PM
betterlifethroughchemistry betterlifethroughchemistry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cap District NY
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Prince was way overrated.
To me, he projected himself to be so cool and musically advanced that the sycophants just fell all over themselves to tell him how wonderful he was...he jumped the shark when he changed his name to a symbol...whenever I would point out that, while he had some good songs and certainly was prolific, I would generally get the 'GASP' and, "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND" response...yeah, I understand narcissism just fine...

But to me, the King of the Overrated is Bruce Springsteen, every song I hear is, "Oh, gee, Bruce is playing all three chords he knows"...to the same monotone beat...and screaming in tortured hamster voice that makes me want to jab my eardrums with chop sticks...
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017