Old 01-06-2020, 08:37 PM

Pompeo says he won't run for Senate

Mike Pompeo has reportedly told Mitch McConnell that he will not seek the open Kansas senate seat. The seat is open due to the retirement of Pat Roberts, who held the seat since 1997.

link

Although Kansas hasn't elected a Democratic senator since 1932, Pompeo's announcement means that the senate seat may be in play. There are several declared GOP candidates, none of which have a huge statewide following. Kris Kobach has the most name recognition, but the state GOP party doesn't want him, because he lost the governor's election in 2018.

The current frontrunner for the Democrats appears to be state senator Barbara Bollier, who switched parties after her election in 2018.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:07 PM

Woo-hoo! I know that Pompeo gave every appearance of seriously considering a run. Given his decision not to do it, I take it as a sign that Republicans are losing favor in Kansas. This makes me happy.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Woo-hoo! I know that Pompeo gave every appearance of seriously considering a run. Given his decision not to do it, I take it as a sign that Republicans are losing favor in Kansas. This makes me happy.
Maybe. Or perhaps he wants to do something different and more profitable than rubber stamping judges or just doing a quorum call should the Dems win.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:22 PM

a guy like him can make way more money lobbying or doing some other job. Went to Harvard law so he can work pretty much anywhere he wants . He's only 56 so he could run later.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
a guy like him can make way more money lobbying or doing some other job. Went to Harvard law so he can work pretty much anywhere he wants . He's only 56 so he could run later.
True enough, but he's not going to run against Kansas' other senator, Jerry Moran, in 2022. I figured he'd run (and win) the Senate seat in 2020, and then position himself for a presidential run in 2024.

Now, who knows?
Old 01-07-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Maybe. Or perhaps he wants to do something different and more profitable than rubber stamping judges or just doing a quorum call should the Dems win.
... or running for a Senate seat through November he could very well lose.

He can do a lot more damage staying put and manipulating Trump to carry out his End Times plans (New York Times).
Old 01-07-2020, 06:41 PM

So this puts Kobach into the Senate, huh?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
So this puts Kobach into the Senate, huh?
Not necessarily. Kobach is facing a surprisingly fierce Democratic challenge. (WSJ)

Quote:
Former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach trails Democrat Barry Grissom by 10 percentage points in a head-to-head matchup for Kansas' open Senate seat in 2020, according to internal GOP polling data reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.
Other Dem challengers to Kobach are also doing decently well.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Grissom dropped out and endorsed state Sen Barbabra Bollier last Thursday. She was a moderate Republican before announcing her party change in mid December.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Grissom dropped out and endorsed state Sen Barbabra Bollier last Thursday. She was a moderate Republican before announcing her party change in mid December.
Ahh, thanks. I don't keep close track of Kansas politics, but I remembered hearing that the seat is no longer assured to go Republican. How do you assess Bollier's chances?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Ahh, thanks. I don't keep close track of Kansas politics, but I remembered hearing that the seat is no longer assured to go Republican. How do you assess Bollier's chances?
Native Kansan here. Bollier isn't really well-known outside of the KC metro area, but she made headlines in late 2018 when she switched from Republican to Democrat. She will have a tough fight no matter who the GOP nominates, but I think she has a chance.

I doubt if Kobach will get the nomination. I think it will be Roger Marshall, the current congressman from Kansas' First District, which encompasses about 2/3 of the state's area. If he's the nominee, he wins, IMO. But if one of the other GOP challengers gets the nomination, Bollier has a shot.

ETA: Bollier was a state senator when she switched parties right after the 2018 election.

Last edited by Railer13; 01-07-2020 at 10:23 PM.