Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
First of all, there are plenty of quotes from Biden discussing running in 2020 before he announced his official candidacy. Including from these links:

"Biden is considered to be a leading 2020 Democratic hopeful. The former vice president has played coy about his future political prospects and said he plans to make a 2020 decision by January. "

"As a growing wave of Democrats declared their candidacy to retake the White House, Biden has reportedly mulled a 2020 campaign in recent weeks. Senior campaign positions have reportedly been hashed out and donors have been targeted, according to The Atlantic."

Second of all, this is entirely irrelevant because the OP hinges on the absolutely ludicrous assertion that Trump didn't have any idea before the very moment that Biden announced his candidacy that Biden might be his opponent. I mean, I can't actually believe that I'm arguing about this because this is so transparently ridiculous.
We are in agreement here, as I too have mentioned. I just didn't think your links supported your assertion, that's all.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 01-17-2020 at 01:09 PM.
  #52  
Old 01-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,788
How do we know that Ukraine is corrupt? The same way we know that North Korea is corrupt. If Donald Trump informed Kim Jong Un that Otto Warmbier had stolen something while he was visiting North Korea and suggested that North Korea needed to investigate him, would you think that was A-OK as long as Otto hadnít announced his intention to run against Trump for President ? Would you think Ottoís actual guilt or innocence had any bearing on the discussion.?

Would you trust Trumpís gut over years of solid evidence if he said he felt North Korea was not corrupt and that they would treat Warmbier fairly?

Would decades of hard evidence of people in North Korea being treated unfairly pull any weight with you , or is the opinion of Donald J Trump all that matters to you?

We know Ukraine is corrupt because, much like North Korea, they have a decades long record of jailing and torturing people because they support the wrong political party or because someone thatís in favor with the current ruling party wants to steal their stuff.

A lot of Americans do business in Ukraine and Russia and the US recognizes that there may be a need to investigate the wrongdoing of an American citizen. That is why we have a mutual legal assistance treaty (MLAT) with Ukraine. This assures that their is a mechanism for bringing American citizens to justice while protecting their legal and civil rights.

Investigations of an American citizen that donít go through MLAT compromise the legal and civil rights of the person under investigation. Now, Iíve come to accept the fact that many Republicans delight in the idea of their political opponents being tortured and murdered. But it disgusts me to see them actually try to carry out a plot to railroad and torture an American citizen.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 01-17-2020 at 01:14 PM.
  #53  
Old 01-17-2020, 01:17 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
I don't think the relevant law even mentions "political opponent". Nor do i think it describes a "legitimate" procedure. And I don't think it lays out a way of classifying a country as corrupt. But go ahead, quote it if it does.
Relevant law? Do you think that if Trump manages to obey one law he can ignore the rest of them? That’s not how it works.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 01-17-2020 at 01:17 PM.
  #54  
Old 01-17-2020, 01:29 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Your link mentions legitimate political tactics, despite the use of the word "radioactive." There is no hint of smearing at that link.
Smearing is what Trump does. "Crazy Nancy", "Do-Nothing Democrats", "Shifty Adam Smith", "everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad", mocking the disabled, birtherism, etc.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-17-2020 at 01:30 PM.
  #55  
Old 01-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
I don't think the relevant law even mentions "political opponent". Nor do i think it describes a "legitimate" procedure. And I don't think it lays out a way of classifying a country as corrupt. But go ahead, quote it if it does.
I notice your argument involves a lot of not thinking.
  #57  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:04 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 23,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
It's a Rudy text, presumable to Parnas. So it doesn't matter if Parnas is a liar. Rudy has tweeted the "before Biden announced" argument:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RudyGiuli...49665293520902 ...
Ah. I thought you meant the Parnas napkin note, not the corroborative texting. Okay so it is not an original crazy thought from you, it's a Rudy sourced crazy thought. Still holds that even Fox's sycophants recognize that this one is too silly. Of course they do consider the rogue Rudy rap relegating Rudy under the rear axle as righteous reporting.
  #58  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Smearing is what Trump does. "Crazy Nancy", "Do-Nothing Democrats", "Shifty Adam Smith", "everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad", mocking the disabled, birtherism, etc.
Without quibbling over the term "smear", which to me is more than just childish name-calling, yes, he most certainly does and says those things. But I asked for evidence of smear planning against other opponents in the context of the Biden conspiracy, and you didn't give me any in that link.
  #59  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Jim Peebles is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 573
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Ah. I thought you meant the Parnas napkin note, not the corroborative texting. Okay so it is not an original crazy thought from you, it's a Rudy sourced crazy thought. Still holds that even Fox's sycophants recognize that this one is too silly. Of course they do consider the rogue Rudy rap relegating Rudy under the rear axle as righteous reporting.
You seem to be missing 2 key points:
1.Rudy sent the text 3/12/19. Biden's campaign started 4/25/19.
2. Rudy's request for them to go "on the record" applies to both Biden and the Ambassador. And the Ambassador is a definite non-"political opponent".

And you seem to be doubting the authenticity of the "napkin note". How dare you! It is written on genuine Ritz Carlton stationary! That entitles the writer, and any subsequent presenter who happened to come into possession of it, 100 percent belief in all contextual/temporal/authenticity claims they make about it, and all inferences they suggest should be drawn from it. Tsk, tsk. (Although it is the Ritz Carlton Vienna, a note written on Ritz Carlton Dusseldorf stationary would trump all claims made thereonto (no pun intended).)

Last edited by Jim Peebles; 01-17-2020 at 02:22 PM.
  #60  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:40 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,788
I’m saying that when you are conspiring to have someone imprisoned and tortured, it doesn’t matter if they are a political opponent or not. It’s despicable in any case.

And pushing for Ukraine to criminally investigate someone without an MLAT is, in effect, conspiring to have them imprisoned and tortured.
  #61  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:45 PM
Jonathan Chance is online now
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,396

The Moderator Speaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
Well my psychic told me that back in January 2019, Biden was thinking "Trump might investigate me, I better start talking about running for President". So now Trump is exonerated again.
Ok, thatís enough.

Jim Peebles, itís become clear over the last few days that you have no intention of debating and are instead motivated by provocation.

You are trolling.

Iím giving you a warning. Also, per the new rules, you are prevented from posting in either Great Debates or Politics & Elections for one month. You may return February 16, 2020.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017