Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 AM

If he ended up quitting he would certainly say his doctors told him to quit and Melania agreed he should quit to avoid stress. He is not going to quit any other way.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Are we talking about the Davis speech? He sounded very bad on the radio.

Are the words “profit” and “prophet” pronounced the same? I swear it sounded like he was saying the former and not the latter.
They come up with the same phonetic spelling in the dictionary.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Are the words “profit” and “prophet” pronounced the same? I swear it sounded like he was saying the former and not the latter.
If a foreigner asked me and I was trying to be very careful, I'd save "profit" ended just like "it" while prophet ended like the beginning of "etc." But were I just speaking, it would be hard to tell the difference absent context.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:04 AM

I have given this a bit of thought. Maybe I simply got it in my head he was saying the wrong word and then I could not unhear it.

That being said, if seems to "Prophet" has more of an "o" sound while "profit" has more of an "a" sound. If there is any difference at all it is very subtle.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 01-24-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
*[hijack]BTW, that's the reason for LBJ's quickie swearing-in on the plane, before JFK's body was cold, and Jackie Kennedy was photographed at his side in the famous photo of it. Since it wasn't clear that he should take over, he was sworn in by a Federal District Judge as soon as she could get there. And Mrs. Kennedy was prominent in the photo to show that she supported the inauguration, and held no Edith Wilson aspirations. It was painted as such a Normal Rockwell moment-- Jackie taking time to care about the country, even at the worst hour of her life, and LBJ being sworn in by a Texan and family friend, but it was very cold-blooded and calculated.[/hijack]
How was it not clear that Johnson should take over?

That said, yes, of course the famous photo of Johnson being sworn in with Mrs. Kennedy by his side was staged -- it was intended to show the nation and the entire world that the government would continue, that the transition to a new president was smooth and uncontroversial, and that there should be no worries about the stability of the United States.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
How was it not clear that Johnson should take over?

That said, yes, of course the famous photo of Johnson being sworn in with Mrs. Kennedy by his side was staged -- it was intended to show the nation and the entire world that the government would continue, that the transition to a new president was smooth and uncontroversial, and that there should be no worries about the stability of the United States.
I didn't know that the picture was staged.

That having been said, I doubt it makes any difference, for the reasons you mention. Reassuring the public that the transition was in place, we have a President, and everyone, including the widow, was on board, is a perfectly valid message, and one that needed to be communicated.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-24-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I didn't know that the picture was staged.

That having been said, I doubt it makes any difference, for the reasons you mention. Reassuring the public that the transition was in place, we have a President, and everyone, including the widow, was on board, is a perfectly valid message, and one that needed to be communicated.

Regards,
Shodan
"Staged" was my word. That picture was taken at Johnson's actual swearing in. That was real. But I've read, in more than one source, that Johnson insisted that Mrs. Kennedy be included in the picture, for the purpose of reassuring the American people, and the world, that everything was transitioning as smoothly as possible.