Old 01-25-2020, 12:41 AM

If Rick Lazio had beaten Hillary in '00, would he have been President Lazio?

Remember him? Former Long Island, NY congressman Rick Lazio, who was drafted to enter the 2000 Senate race in New York against Hillary Clinton after Rudy Giuliani withdrew due to health and personal issues?

The Republicans had wanted that race, they have Hillary hate.

If he had beaten her, would he have been a GOP star?
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Not at all. He and Scott Brown would be sending texts to each other.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Playing the alternate universe game - I think that it would have been more likely that if Giuliani had not dropped out he would have won, and then would have had a path to the White House.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:23 PM

And had Giuliani beaten Clinton, the Public Advocate would have finished out his mayoral term. Since Giuliani's resignation would have taken place in his fourth year, there wouldn't be a special election. Therefore, Mark Green would have been mayor on 9/11.

I can't see a path to the presidency for Rudy, though. Without 9/11, he would be a nobody to most of America. Even as a U.S. Senator.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
And had Giuliani beaten Clinton, the Public Advocate would have finished out his mayoral term. Since Giuliani's resignation would have taken place in his fourth year, there wouldn't be a special election. Therefore, Mark Green would have been mayor on 9/11.

I can't see a path to the presidency for Rudy, though. Without 9/11, he would be a nobody to most of America. Even as a U.S. Senator.
Good information! I hadn't considered the details and timeline you lay out. I was seeing Giuliani as the riding the 9/11 wave in my scenario.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post

True. And Mark J. Green and Giuliani never got along. The Public Advocate of NYC is first in line to the mayoralty.

It was probably meant that way that Giuliani was never to be elected to the Senate or even run full-term.