Old 01-29-2020, 11:09 AM

Trump friends handing out cash to black voters

I have to wonder if this is legal but I guess it is.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...veaways-108072
Old 01-29-2020, 11:54 AM

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/597

Oh, I'm quite certain that whatever they are doing is perfectly legal. But the intention is transparent, yah?

And you can bet that if someone does determine that it is illegal, then they will go after the black voters who accepted the money, instead of the ones giving out the money.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Street money aka Walking Around money is a common thing for elections in most big cities. This is just a headstart on it.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Trump friends handing out cash to black voters
Odd. I've been told over and over again that his supporters are racists and white supremacists.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:21 PM

And I've been told over and over that it's the Democrats that give free stuff to black people in exchange for votes? Strange...
Old 01-29-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
Odd. I've been told over and over again that his supporters are racists and white supremacists.
And this proves it.
They donít have to buy the racist vote.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Indeed. This seems to be hella racist - thinking the way to get blacks to vote for you is just to hand them some money and they'll be grateful and vote for you.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Do you see a contradiction here?

This scheme seems racist. Openly so.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Scale of 1 to 10, how much do you wish you could still edit this post to "n/m"?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:42 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
And this proves it.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
And this proves it.
Quote:
Do you see a contradiction here?

This scheme seems racist. Openly so.
Quote:
Indeed. This seems to be hella racist - thinking the way to get blacks to vote for you is just to hand them some money and they'll be grateful and vote for you.
By basic logic, it is not racist. If a person or group of people has prejudice against blacks, obviously that person or group would say nasty things about blacks and do nasty things to blacks and would not say generous things about or do generous things to blacks. If Trump friends are handing out cash to blacks, they are obvious not motivated by anti-black prejudice. Also, the article linked in the OP mentioned that many of the people involved in this effort are themselves black.

As for the notion that it's racist because it's an attempt to buy votes, does the same apply to all programs and schemes that direct money to minorities? There are countless examples of such. For example, there are programs that preferentially give government contracts to minority-owned businesses. I don't hear anyone describing those as "openly racist" or "hella racist".
Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Thats because they are.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/servi...iments-div.pdf

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/18/...e-class-trump/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...y-2018-midterm

https://psmag.com/news/new-study-con...crats-to-trump
Old 01-30-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
By basic logic, it is not racist.
Super basic logic.

I love the idea that if Elizabeth Warren started holding campaign events for black voters and handing out envelopes stuffed with cash, you'd be like, "Oh, cool, that's just how campaigning works." Because that's how you roll.

Come the fuck on. If this is legal, it's only barely legal, because they're passing out money exactly below the threshold that requires a report on charitable expenditures. They know what they're doing. It's corrupt as shit.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
As for the notion that it's racist because it's an attempt to buy votes, does the same apply to all programs and schemes that direct money to minorities? There are countless examples of such. For example, there are programs that preferentially give government contracts to minority-owned businesses. I don't hear anyone describing those as "openly racist" or "hella racist".
You realize that the intent of those programs is to help minority businesses as a redress for past racism and denial of equal opportunity?

OTOH just handing out cash to black people and thinking that's all that's needed to win votes just smacks of racism in the we don't need to actually promote programs that lead to long term benefit, we just need to give you cash.

In fact, I'd say it's the same racist mentality that says government programs to help minorities are attempts to buy votes.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
By basic logic, it is not racist.
Hilarious.

It's straightforwardly and openly racist.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
By basic logic, it is not racist. If a person or group of people has prejudice against blacks, obviously that person or group would say nasty things about blacks and do nasty things to blacks and would not say generous things about or do generous things to blacks.
Right, especially if said person or group is up for re-election in approximately nine months.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:53 PM

"How could they be racist when they do generous things to blacks?" is magnificently clueless.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:08 PM

Who knew the GOP was such an avid proponent of universal basic income?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
"How could they be racist when they do generous things to blacks?" is magnificently clueless.
"My good sir, how could the right Reverend Colonel James P. Effefferson possibly be considered to have ill will towards the blacks? Why, just last week he called in a hog doctor to check on a hand who collapsed in the cotton field! He even gave the fellow Sunday morning off to recover, with an extra ration of pig innards! Surely someone who didn't favor with kindness the black race would never be so warm and generous towards his blacks?"

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 01-30-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

If I'm understanding the Wikipedia article correctly, "street money" is given out to low-level workers for the election campaigns as incentive/expense money, not to the random public.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
And I've been told over and over that it's the Democrats that give free stuff to black people in exchange for votes? Strange...
Thread Winner. We can all pack it up and go home now.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
"My good sir, how could the right Reverend Colonel James P. Effefferson possibly be considered to have ill will towards the blacks? Why, just last week he called in a hog doctor to check on a hand who collapsed in the cotton field! He even gave the fellow Sunday morning off to recover, with an extra ration of pig innards! Surely someone who didn't favor with kindness the black race would never be so warm and generous towards his blacks?"
ďAnd a century later, they proved how not-racist they were when the Reverend Colonelís progeny paid that black woman to cook and clean for them, with real money. Why, they even let the kids call her Mammy!Ē
Old 01-30-2020, 05:10 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
Thread Winner. We can all pack it up and go home now.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Give it to us scruffy counter-cultural types, we'll take yer money and buy some weed so we can get high after we vote against you.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:00 PM

Hasn't Andrew Yang already started his $1,000 UBI to 10 randomly selected people?
Old 02-01-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You realize that the intent of those programs is to help minority businesses as a redress for past racism and denial of equal opportunity?

OTOH just handing out cash to black people and thinking that's all that's needed to win votes just smacks of racism in the we don't need to actually promote programs that lead to long term benefit, we just need to give you cash.

In fact, I'd say it's the same racist mentality that says government programs to help minorities are attempts to buy votes.
Trump's political platform is mostly stuff that would have been mainstream in one or both major political parties for much of the past 30 years. Nonetheless, the pundits have just known since the moment that he rode the escalator that the motivations driving Trump and his supporters are racist, while not concluding that other politicians with the same ideas are racist. For example, the border wall. Almost every long-serving member of Congress has supported funding for some sort of wall or fence on the Mexican border at some point, but never mind that, the smart people just know that Trump's border wall is racist while everyone else's border walls were not.

Same deal with this issue. Some Trump supporters, including some who are themselves black, hold a raffle where they fork some of their own cash to a winner in black communities. Mainstream politicians also hand out money in black communities, though they prefer handing out taxpayer money. Obviously to do so, they have to present it as a redress of previous injustices and attempt to help the underprivileged. The Constitution guarantees equal protection under the laws, so you can't just give money to certain racial groups for no reason, but phrase the justification in a certain way and the courts will allow it. It's absurd to suppose that mainstream politicians write the law on federal programs without having one eye increasing voter support and turnout. Obviously not true just for programs that have a racial angle. Bernie wants the government to cover all college tuition. Many people suppose this will make him popular among college students. Nobody concludes from this that Bernie must hate college students.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Trump's political platform is mostly stuff that would have been mainstream in one or both major political parties for much of the past 30 years. Nonetheless, the pundits have just known since the moment that he rode the escalator that the motivations driving Trump and his supporters are racist, while not concluding that other politicians with the same ideas are racist. For example, the border wall. Almost every long-serving member of Congress has supported funding for some sort of wall or fence on the Mexican border at some point, but never mind that, the smart people just know that Trump's border wall is racist while everyone else's border walls were not.

Same deal with this issue. Some Trump supporters, including some who are themselves black, hold a raffle where they fork some of their own cash to a winner in black communities. Mainstream politicians also hand out money in black communities, though they prefer handing out taxpayer money. Obviously to do so, they have to present it as a redress of previous injustices and attempt to help the underprivileged. The Constitution guarantees equal protection under the laws, so you can't just give money to certain racial groups for no reason, but phrase the justification in a certain way and the courts will allow it. It's absurd to suppose that mainstream politicians write the law on federal programs without having one eye increasing voter support and turnout. Obviously not true just for programs that have a racial angle. Bernie wants the government to cover all college tuition. Many people suppose this will make him popular among college students. Nobody concludes from this that Bernie must hate college students.
It's data that suggests Trump support is significantly driven by racism as much as his own rhetoric. Nate Silver said the single best statistical predictor for a locality's support for Trump was Google searches with racial slurs in them. Not one of the best, but the single best predictor.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It's data that suggests Trump support is significantly driven by racism as much as his own rhetoric. Nate Silver said the single best statistical predictor for a locality's support for Trump was Google searches with racial slurs in them. Not one of the best, but the single best predictor.
I'll bet that most racists supported Romney, McCain, Bush II, Dole, and Bush I as well. In short, you got nothing.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I'll bet that most racists supported Romney, McCain, Bush II, Dole, and Bush I as well. In short, you got nothing.
If your point is that your side has most of the racists, that's not exactly something I'd want to crow about (though at least you recognize it!). But if I understand the data correctly, Trump was far more so than the others. David Duke only endorsed one of these Republicans.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 02-01-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
If your point is that your side has most of the racists, that's not exactly something I'd want to crow about (though at least you recognize it!). But if I understand the data correctly, Trump was far more so than the others. David Duke only endorsed one of these Republicans.
There are only two real candidates for president that have a chance of winning. Those on the far right will support the Republican and those on the far left will support the Democrat. That doesn't provide evidence that Republicans are far right, nor that the Democrats are far left.

You are saying this like it is some revelation or worse trying to imply the logical fallacy of the reverse that because racists support Republicans, that means Republicans are racists.

It doesn't speak well for our country that political disagreements resort to name calling. Trump was in the public eye for 35 years but not until he ran as a Republican for political office was this smear raised. I think it would improve the discourse of the board if you would actually make legitimate arguments as to why you believe Trump is a racist other than these absurd logical fallacies.

As this thread is about blacks, please provide one single piece of evidence that Trump hates blacks. Is this another "you just know it" sort of arguments?
Old 02-01-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
It doesn't speak well for our country that political disagreements resort to name calling.
You're the one supporting the President who rose to prominence by spreading a racist conspiracy theory and has been "name calling" in truly disgusting and dishonest ways for many years.

Quote:
Trump was in the public eye for 35 years but not until he ran as a Republican for political office was this smear raised.
This is false -- he's been called a racist for many years (with good reason!).

Quote:
I think it would improve the discourse of the board if you would actually make legitimate arguments as to why you believe Trump is a racist other than these absurd logical fallacies.
I've done so many, many times, in many, many threads.

Here's one example -- he spent many years spreading a racist, evidence-free conspiracy theory about the first black president, and even after he stopped spreading it, never apologized to him or his family. There are many, many more.

Quote:
As this thread is about blacks, please provide one single piece of evidence that Trump hates blacks. Is this another "you just know it" sort of arguments?
I've never said "Trump hates blacks". I have no reason to believe he does. I believe he's a racist (and in case you're unaware, racism has never required hatred), due to many racist things he's said about black people, Mexicans, and Jews, and a misogynist, based on many misogynistic things he's said, and an anti-Muslim bigot, and probably a rapist and certainly a sexual assaulter, based on his own words.

I'd be happy to run down all the things he's said that leads me to believe this, if you really want to -- but it's been done over and over on this board... I thought you'd be sick of it.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:55 PM

The first ever time Donald Trump was mentioned in the New York Times was an October 16, 1973 article with the title Major Landlord Accused of Antiblack Bias in City. Link

He was accused of being racist from go.