Old 02-01-2020, 08:26 PM

Does it really annoy anyone else the way "ban" is being used now?

It always grated on my ears when the Brits used "ban" for a short suspension, but I could ignore it for as much as I listened to European sports. And until about 10 years ago it never seemed to be used for American sports. Now it is all over the place, particularly ESPN and the usage just blisters my ballsack.

There is no such thing a 1 or 2 game ban. That is a suspension. A ban is permanent, or at least absolute and open ended until major development. Shoeless Joe is banned. Pete Rose is banned. Jimmy JointToke is suspended for 2 games, not banned. This dude was not "banned"

Does anyone hear somebody say "I've been banned from Applebees" and assume he means only a day or two?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:29 PM

I agree that 'suspension' is more accurate than 'ban' for a short period, but it doesn't bother me much.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:52 AM

A three letter word social medias better than a ten letter word, maybe?
Old 02-02-2020, 04:02 AM

Calling that a ban is like suspending a student from school for a week then declaring he is temporarily expelled. It’s the wrong term.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:11 AM

We'll change our use of "ban" when you change your use of "I could care less"
Old 02-02-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
...the usage just blisters my ballsack...
Far more than the usage, I think the more interesting phenomenon is why such a minor and seemingly innocuous semantic drift can cause such annoyance. (Not meant as any kind of specific commentary about you - this kind of reaction is common.)

Last edited by Riemann; 02-02-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
We'll change our use of "ban" when you change your use of "I could care less"
Who is “you”? That’s not an American thing, that’s a stupid person thing.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Who is “you”? That’s not an American thing, that’s a stupid person thing.
I dunno, seems pretty much exclusively a USA thing to me. I've never heard it from any other nationality.

As for "ban" there's nothing in the word's definition that means it must apply in perpetuity.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I dunno, seems pretty much exclusively a USA thing to me. I've never heard it from any other nationality.
In America we make fun of those who say it. Like “all intensive purposes”, or “mute point”. It’s considered a form of malapropism.

Quote:
As for "ban" there's nothing in the word's definition that means it must apply in perpetuity.
That is how it is always properly used. The term “banishment” comes from the same place. The original use of the term is the Old English “banna”, which meant an official prohibition on something (as in codified by law).
Old 02-03-2020, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
That is how it is always properly used. The term “banishment” comes from the same place. The original use of the term is the Old English “banna”, which meant an official prohibition on something (as in codified by law).
You might want to steer clear of making such sweeping generalisations. In the UK it is also properly used when referring to a prohibition of a set period of time. There is nothing in any definition I've ever seen that suggests this is wrong and in any case the words we speak don't have official definitions to be obeyed, they have usage.

The most common useage in the UK would be to say that "he was banned from driving for 18 months". Perfectly accurate, correct and understood. No-one in the UK is left scratching their head wondering "how can it be a ban for both 18 months and forever, that makes no sense"

This just comes down to someone being tediously annoyed that people don't use words in exactly the same way that they do. Welcome to the english language. Introduce such pendants to the word "fanny" and watch their head explode.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:38 PM

I remember chuckling over how cheating Halo players would whine about being 'banned' for a week or two. I said the same thing: That's a suspension, you egg-headed Neanderthal.

Bungie's (not sure if 343 does this, now) response to anyone who contested a suspension but was shown proof of their cheating was legendary. They'd simply double the suspension.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Introduce such pendants
*pedants*
Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
*pedants*
I assumed it was a reference to people hanging around the forum.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
*pedants*
I like the fact it autocorrected "pedants" but not "fanny", it clearly has its priorities right.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've always read and interpreted it as an elided form of "(like/as if) I could care less." At any rate, I use it just to piss off the pedants. It's just an idiom, but that's a subject for another thread that has been literally been done a million times here before.

And, yes, it is an American idiom that showed up in the US in the 60s.

I've never noticed the "ban" thing, but I do see how that could be a little confusing, as I am more used to hearing it as a permanent ban here in the US in regards to sports. That said, there's nothing about "bans" that requires it to be permanent. You can have temporary bans, of course.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-03-2020 at 07:09 PM.