Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM

The Dodgers were predicted to be a 100+ win team this season without Betts before this trade they would have been a 100+ win team in 2021 too. If he walks and they can't find someone as good as Joc they could be less than a 100 win team in 2021. I don't believe that Betts makes them more likely to win the WS since the playoffs are a crapshoot at best he increases them from 23% to 26%. This was already a team built to win now.

The playoffs are too random to build for you are better off building a team that can win the division every year then trying to design the perfect post season team. I think the Dodgers have proven they were built to win the division every year and if anything this trade put that at risk if Betts is just a one and done.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
MLB free agency should have an age limit. Six years in the bigs or, say, age 29, whichever comes first.
It would certainly do away with the shenanigans and one of the bigger arguments for the need for people like Boras.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The idea of the Cubs trading Bryant is just insane to me, but what do I know. I cannot really understand why the Red Sox traded Mookie; yeah yeah, luxury tax. I'd find other ways to save money rather than just basically giving up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't sometimes trade away guys for prospects, but we aren't talking about some 31-year-old yet being traded away from a shit team; we're talking about contenders trading away elite stars in their 20s.
Mookie is getting traded because he would have left them in free agency next year. He doesn't like it there and he hasn't been treated very well.

Probably the same with Bryant. These teams might as well get some good cheap talent for the next 5-10 years.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, sure, that may be why, but it's a why Boston is wholly responsible for. Why would you treat such a wonderful player badly?
Old 02-06-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
The Dodgers were predicted to be a 100+ win team this season without Betts before this trade they would have been a 100+ win team in 2021 too.
And the argument could be made that the Red Sox are capable of finishing 19 games back of N.Y. in their division without Betts just as well as they could with him in the lineup.

I'm sorry to see the Red Sox lose such a good player in his prime. On the other hand, paying him $430 million over 12 years (what he was reportedly asking) might not have been such a great investment if it prevented the team from getting/holding onto other talent.

It's hard to feel sorry for ownership, but the sentiment that they're so rich that they should pay whatever's demanded of them seems misplaced. Yes, the team is worth a ton of money, but you only get to tap that when the team is sold.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
... I like the move the way I liked the Yanks trading Miller and Chapman midseason a couple years back.
The Yankees got Gleyber Torres, Adam Warren, Billy McKinney and Rashad Crawford in the Chapman deal. For Miller they received Clint Frazier, Ben Heller, Justus Sheffield and J.P. Feyereisen. In giving up Mookie and Price, the Red Sox got Alex Verdugo and Brusdar Graterol. Anyone have any strong opinions about those two, beyond the b-ref stats? Since the the Sox ate half of Price's salary, it seems to me they should have gotten much more. Getting Price for 16 million per for three years is basically the same deal the Yanks gave JA Happ. In other words, not a huge risk for a wealthy club.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Mookie is getting traded because he would have left them in free agency next year. He doesn't like it there and he hasn't been treated very well.
I haven't seen anything to imply that is correct. The Red Sox wanted him to take a hometown discount and he wanted to be paid market rate/test free agency. This doesn't me he wouldn't have resigned with Boston if they made the best offer, and certainly doesn't imply that he was mistreated.

Quote:
And the argument could be made that the Red Sox are capable of finishing 19 games back of N.Y. in their division without Betts just as well as they could with him in the lineup.

I'm sorry to see the Red Sox lose such a good player in his prime. On the other hand, paying him $430 million over 12 years (what he was reportedly asking) might not have been such a great investment if it prevented the team from getting/holding onto other talent.

It's hard to feel sorry for ownership, but the sentiment that they're so rich that they should pay whatever's demanded of them seems misplaced. Yes, the team is worth a ton of money, but you only get to tap that when the team is sold
They also won a World Series with Betts the year before, which Betts was an integral part of. They are actually likely at the part of the win curve where small changes make big differences in playoff odds.

I won't believe any team is losing money until they open up their books. Clearly, every team, even terribly managed ones, sell for massive profits, implying they are great investments. I imagine if the Red Sox signed Betts they might make a slightly lower yearly profit. And if they really want short-term windfalls they could borrow against the team or sell partial ownership.

It doesn't mean you have to sign everyone, but if you aren't going all out to resign a future Hall of Famer in their prime, what are you doing?
Old 02-06-2020, 02:00 PM

I love that the Nats and the Astros share a spring training facility and that the Astros hired former Nats skipper Dusty Baker. Just layers of awkwardness. Maybe when the jeweler drops off the Nats WS rings he can offer to add an asterisk to the Astros'.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The idea of the Cubs trading Bryant is just insane to me, but what do I know. I cannot really understand why the Red Sox traded Mookie; yeah yeah, luxury tax. I'd find other ways to save money rather than just basically giving up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't sometimes trade away guys for prospects, but we aren't talking about some 31-year-old yet being traded away from a shit team; we're talking about contenders trading away elite stars in their 20s.
And, of course, none of us really know what’s going on behind the scenes. Is Bryant really upset or is he just playing along with the game and realizes business is business?

But, the Cubs are definitely set up to milk the cash cow. Most of the new development in my neighborhood is done or close. They’ve got the new TV network. And, I noticed Wrigley has a very heavy concert schedule this summer. The Ricketts (Ameritrade) are merging with Charles Schwab later this year. So, I don’t think ownership will be panhandling on the Red Line even if Bryant gets traded and the Cubs are out of it by the All Star Break.

And, it’s always weird wondering what goes through the mind of pro athletes. They’re young men who have lived very different lives than anyone. Some like the spotlight and attention that they’d get playing baseball for the Cubs rather than the Reds or Royals. Some don’t care even if it might mean a bit less attention and potential endorsement money. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to do a poll in the Los Angeles area and see how many people would answer a question about who is the best player in baseball? I bet only 25% would say Mike Trout.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Probably the same with Bryant. These teams might as well get some good cheap talent for the next 5-10 years.
They might as well....instead they got a guy with a bad back and worse baggage....and a guy who can't even pass a medical.

...for a former MVP and CY Young winner...and 48 million.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:07 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Dodgers sign Muncy to a 3 year extension worth $26 million, with a $13M option for 2023 and a $1.5M buyout option. Avoids arbitration and extends control for a year. Handy for a guy that can play any base.

I'm really liking the lineup for this season. Betts, Bellinger, Turner, Muncy, Seager, Taylor, Lux, Smith and whoever strikes out in the 9 slot.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Going into the season it's the strongest team I've ever seen.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:58 AM

speaking of the Yankees

https://sports.theonion.com/yankees-...ght-1826328296
Old 02-07-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Go to Hell. Besides that article is 2 years old.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:54 PM

Hey, we're the Yankees. We are always in their heads. And we never think of them...at all. They are as meaningless as their sad little franchises.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyeop View Post
I haven't seen anything to imply that is correct. The Red Sox wanted him to take a hometown discount and he wanted to be paid market rate/test free agency. This doesn't me he wouldn't have resigned with Boston if they made the best offer, and certainly doesn't imply that he was mistreated.
I think it started with his first arb year when it went all the way to arbitration and Betts won. Everyone was getting sweet contracts but the sox seemed to be cheaping out on Betts.

When the Sox opened an extension bid with a $300MM offer, Betts countered with a $420MM offer. If that's not telling them to go pound sand then I don't know what is.

Quote:
They also won a World Series with Betts the year before, which Betts was an integral part of. They are actually likely at the part of the win curve where small changes make big differences in playoff odds.
I think the bad blood (if it actually exists) started before then. The rumor is that the arbitration hearing was bloody.

Quote:
I won't believe any team is losing money until they open up their books. Clearly, every team, even terribly managed ones, sell for massive profits, implying they are great investments. I imagine if the Red Sox signed Betts they might make a slightly lower yearly profit. And if they really want short-term windfalls they could borrow against the team or sell partial ownership.

It doesn't mean you have to sign everyone, but if you aren't going all out to resign a future Hall of Famer in their prime, what are you doing?
They are trading some "win now" for "win later" Maybe I'm off base and Betts would love to stay in Boston but there are a lot of rumors that Betts doesn't feel all warm and fuzzy about the sox.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Dodgers sign Muncy to a 3 year extension worth $26 million, with a $13M option for 2023 and a $1.5M buyout option. Avoids arbitration and extends control for a year. Handy for a guy that can play any base.

I'm really liking the lineup for this season. Betts, Bellinger, Turner, Muncy, Seager, Taylor, Lux, Smith and whoever strikes out in the 9 slot.
The only thing a dodgers fan could ask for is an ace starting pitcher to replace Ryu.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
They are trading some "win now" for "win later" Maybe I'm off base and Betts would love to stay in Boston but there are a lot of rumors that Betts doesn't feel all warm and fuzzy about the sox.
Well, not NOW. It's likely this error wasn't made this past week, it was made over the course of years as they inexplicably pissed off opne of the greatest players in team history.

I'd give Betts $400 million. The only reason he isn't the single most valuable property in baseball is because Mike Trout exists, and that's fine. If he's Mickey Mantle to Trout's Willie Mays, he's super great.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:20 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Go to Hell. Besides that article is 2 years old.
Hey, I'm a Yankee fan, and am proud to be an asshole. Embrace your heritage as part of the Evil Empire!

One of my favorite jokes:

How many New Yorkers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

SPOILER:
FUCK YOU!

Last edited by Colibri; 02-07-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Hey, I'm a Yankee fan, and am proud to be an asshole. Embrace your heritage as part of the Evil Empire!

One of my favorite jokes:

How many New Yorkers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

SPOILER:
FUCK YOU!

That's about right.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:43 AM

No update on the Red Sox potential cheating. Maybe for them no news is good news.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, apparently the Red Sox get to renege on trades and demand new terms, so that's consistent.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Well, apparently the Red Sox get to renege on trades and demand new terms, so that's consistent.
Can you please elaborate, I can't determine what this is in reference too?
Old 02-10-2020, 12:22 PM

They had to change some of the players after an apparently-troubling medical report.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...e-dodgers-done
Old 02-10-2020, 12:29 PM

trades are changed due to medical reports , that's not unusual. Otherwise why bother with a medical report?
Old 02-10-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Dumbest thing ever, we really need pitchers and catchers and get some real baseball.

‘Pick your opponent’ for the playoffs? This sounds like some college freshman’s Intro to Marketing final project.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-conside...tseason-format
Old 02-10-2020, 06:56 PM

if you live near a college BB team they start play this weekend except in some cold weather areas. The teams from cold areas will head to warm areas to play the next few weeks. For example Michigan is on the road in warm areas until their home opener March 13th.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 PM

Former MLB pitcher suing over the Astros cheating, he says it ended his career.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/us/ml...spt/index.html
Old 02-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I feel bad for Mike Bolsinger but he has about as much of a chance of winning this lawsuit as he does of winning the Tour de France. There is no way he can prove he was cut only because of the Astros cheating, because he was already a marginal pitcher of the sort that gets cut pretty quickly anyway. If he had clearly been a major league pitcher, the Blue Jays would not have cut him for one bad game.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 PM

I'm guessing that the Dodgers have to be the faves to win it all this year. The one thing the Dodgers have missed the last few years was a guy like Betts who could consistently make contact or get on base somehow and motor around the base paths. Betts to the Dodgers is like Kevin Durant to the Warriors in NBA - he adds a new dimension.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'm guessing that the Dodgers have to be the faves to win it all this year. The one thing the Dodgers have missed the last few years was a guy like Betts who could consistently make contact or get on base somehow and motor around the base paths. Betts to the Dodgers is like Kevin Durant to the Warriors in NBA - he adds a new dimension.
Yanks are slightly favored over the Dodgers. Astros next. That is the two Fantasy Baseball gambling things & a Vegas one all agreeing.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess they didn't have anyone who could "consistently make contact or get on base somehow and motor around the base paths."

Unless you count Cody Bellinger, who had both a higher batting average and a higher OBP than Betts last season. Not to mention the other guys in their batting lineup who also make contact or get on base and score runs. This is a team that scored the most runs in the NL last year and had the second-highest OBP.

What is it about baseball that causes some commentators to feel the need to overcomplicate their "analysis" and manufacture meaningless phrases like "adds a new dimension"? Why can't you just say "Wow, the best hitting team in the National League just added another another awesome player. The Dodgers are going to be really hard to beat this season"? You're just talking baseball here, not auditioning to take over from Stephen A. Smith.

Last edited by mhendo; 02-10-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:46 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Yeah, I'm not sure about the idea the Dodgers weren't good at getting on base. Last year they had the second highest OBP in the NL. They were second the year before, third the year before that. That's in a park not conducive to OBP.

I know it's frustrating to Dodger fans to lose the World Series twice and then have a disappointing NLDS last year, but they are not missing anything. The team is awesome. Betts makes them better, but they already had an awesome team.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Yeah, I guess they didn't have anyone who could "consistently make contact or get on base somehow and motor around the base paths."

Unless you count Cody Bellinger, who had both a higher batting average and a higher OBP than Betts last season. Not to mention the other guys in their batting lineup who also make contact or get on base and score runs. This is a team that scored the most runs in the NL last year and had the second-highest OBP.

What is it about baseball that causes some commentators to feel the need to overcomplicate their "analysis" and manufacture meaningless phrases like "adds a new dimension"? Why can't you just say "Wow, the best hitting team in the National League just added another another awesome player. The Dodgers are going to be really hard to beat this season"? You're just talking baseball here, not auditioning to take over from Stephen A. Smith.
I'm just going based on what I've seen the last few years.

How many championships have the Dodgers won with their great run-scoring (swing up at the ball) lineups?

Thought so.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think the Dodgers didn't win it all because of a lack of talent. It was mostly the playoff RNG... and some banging trash cans.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:

How many championships have the Dodgers won with their great run-scoring (swing up at the ball) lineups?

Thought so.
7 division championships in a row and two of the last 3 NL championships.

Seriously, I love the Dodgers and watch 100-120 games a year with close to 10 in person each season. This is crazy analysis that is close the the dodgers fans wanting to fire Roberts this off season.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:08 AM

expanded playoffs will happen but probably not pick your opponent. Too many baseball fans think it's 1960 rather than 2020. change can be good.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
expanded playoffs will happen but probably not pick your opponent. Too many baseball fans think it's 1960 rather than 2020. change can be good.
I suspect most managers would hate the pick your opponent option though GMs will probably be fine with it.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I kind of like the pick your opponent idea. Forget the whole "Vegas thinks we're underdogs" and "We don't get respect" story lines, now your opponent actually chose to play you. THEY think you're the easiest team to beat. It's a juicy story.

I do not like expanded playoffs, though. It ends too late as it is.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I kind of like the pick your opponent idea. Forget the whole "Vegas thinks we're underdogs" and "We don't get respect" story lines, now your opponent actually chose to play you. THEY think you're the easiest team to beat. It's a juicy story.

I do not like expanded playoffs, though. It ends too late as it is.
I don't like the idea of further devaluing the regular season, but at least this format doesn't really extend the season much. It takes the wildcard round makes it 6 series of 3 games games instead of 2 elimination games. #1 seed in each league gets a bye.
  • So best in league gets to rest a few days. No 3 game elimination.
  • The other 2 division winners pick their opponent among the bottom 3 wildcards.
  • The top wildcard gets the leftover wildcard team.
  • Added playoff time is 2-3 days.
  • MLB new playoff system = Profit$
Old 02-11-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Thought so.
Mariners fans really wish we had your poor fortunes.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Thought so.
My God, what a stupid argument.

Just out of interest, what other criterion would you use to measure the quality of a ballclub's offense, apart from the number of runs they score? Is there a better measure of team offensive ability than runs scored that I have somehow been unaware of all these years?
Old 02-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

Thought so.
But that's dumb. The Dodgers have won more playoff games than they've lost, and won more playoff games than they've lost. They are indisputably a good team. Not everyone can win the World Series.

Your evidence of their failing is basically that they lost Game Seven in 2017; no one would think them disappointing if that hadn't happened. Claiming they're a failure based on one game is just nuts. The Dodgers scored about as many runs per game in that series as they did in the regular season. Their failure was in pitching, possibly assisted by cheating.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I don't like the idea of further devaluing the regular season, but at least this format doesn't really extend the season much. It takes the wildcard round makes it 6 series of 3 games games instead of 2 elimination games. #1 seed in each league gets a bye.
  • So best in league gets to rest a few days. No 3 game elimination.
  • The other 2 division winners pick their opponent among the bottom 3 wildcards.
  • The top wildcard gets the leftover wildcard team.
  • Added playoff time is 2-3 days.
  • MLB new playoff system = Profit$
Yeah, but dragging it out means playing chicken with the weather even more. And seriously, we’ve had 162 games to figure it out. You lose the wild card, you go home. And I never want to see a November World Series game again
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Yeah, but dragging it out means playing chicken with the weather even more. And seriously, we’ve had 162 games to figure it out. You lose the wild card, you go home. And I never want to see a November World Series game again
The most obvious thing to get more playoff games would be to shorten the season, that will not happen though. So they'll play all kinds of stupid games to try and make more money off the postseason. Eventually Baseball will add 2 more teams and go to 8 total divisions. I guess this playoff system helps set that up.
Change is going to happen, this isn't the worst idea they've had.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
The Dodgers have won more playoff games than they've lost, and won more playoff games than they've lost.
Can you parse this statement for me, please?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Can you parse this statement for me, please?
I suspect that RickJay made a change what he wrote, and unintentionally repeated himself.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I suspect that RickJay made a change what he wrote, and unintentionally repeated himself.
I mean one of the words "games" to be "series."
Old 02-12-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I mean one of the words "games" to be "series."
OK, thanks. Makes sense.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I really should know this, but if Ohtani is in the game as DH, can be ever enter the game to pitch? I assume the Angels would lose the DH for the remainder of the game, but if they’re willing to do that, could they?

How about if the Cubs are playing in an AL park and Schwarber is the DH. Can he enter the game as emergency catcher? Remember, he came up as a catcher so I’m sure he’s still the emergency catcher.