Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Farewell Cory Booker

Poor guy.

He stood a chance. He really might have. But he never got traction.

Was it too many players? What?

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...sidential-race
Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 AM

IMO, he focused too hard on appealing to African-American voters and poverty issues. This hurt him with both black and white voters. He was a black candidate focusing on black voters, which doesn't help him with white voters, and for black voters, it doesn't show that he can win with white voters, so they never got behind him. Dem candidates need to win with both black and white voters, so focusing too much on one over the other hurts. This is what happened with Cory I think.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:18 AM

On the bright side, I think Mayor Pete just got himself a running mate.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:37 AM

I am sad about this as I think he was a very good presence on the debate stage. I do think what doomed both the Harris and Booker campaigns is that they anticipated African-American support, but did not think that Biden would suck ALL that air out of the room (it's still very surprising to me).
Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
On the bright side, I think Mayor Pete just got himself a running mate.
I'd be okay with that. And Harris as Attorney General.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

that was just my thought.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Erastz Obama.
Unsurprising. Obama was a once in a generation politician. Copying him is a fools errand.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM

Made a mistake as Harris did by trying to sell themselves to the "progressive" wing of the party. Those people were entrenched with Sanders and a lesser extent to Warren. Those people were never going to support them. The moderate/center-left of the party was the place to be and take voters away from Biden. I think Booker realised that and started calling for more unity and less purity tests but it was too late.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:14 PM

I'm from New Jersey and really don't get the love for Booker. His record is nothing special. His speaking ability is not particularly motivating. I am glad he ended his campaign. It was the right time.

If Mayor Pete gets the nom, would Booker bring in enough extra African American vote to be worth more than lets say Warren for Progressive and Women votes? I believe if a non-Prog gets the nom they really need Warren or Sanders to shore up the party support and widen appeal to independents.

Disclaimer: part of my apathy for Booker, is he got the Senate seat as a party leader favorite over long term (green) congressman Frank Pallone who should have got the Senate seat.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
I think Booker realised that and started calling for more unity and less purity tests but it was too late.
That has always been Booker's deal though. He was talking about unity before he became a Senator. And when he announced for President.

Booker's voting record is very progressive as well, so running as a moderate may have been difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I'm from New Jersey and really don't get the love for Booker. His record is nothing special. His speaking ability is not particularly motivating. I am glad he ended his campaign. It was the right time.
I get not liking Booker, but dinging his speaking ability is baffling to me. He's arguably the best speaker and most charismatic politician in the Democratic race. His "We Will Rise" speech at the 2016 DNC was a major highlight of the convention. Even among the people who didn't like him, I heard acknowledgments that he was a very talented speaker.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That has always been Booker's deal though. He was talking about unity before he became a Senator. And when he announced for President.

Booker's voting record is very progressive as well, so running as a moderate may have been difficult.

I get not liking Booker, but dinging his speaking ability is baffling to me. He's arguably the best speaker and most charismatic politician in the Democratic race. His "We Will Rise" speech at the 2016 DNC was a major highlight of the convention. Even among the people who didn't like him, I heard acknowledgments that he was a very talented speaker.
Booker's record didn't see him gain any support or acknowledgement from progressive media or activists. They make up a lesser percentage of the party base, but are a vocal bunch.

Biden's support at least six months ago might have been a mile wide and an inch long. He had the numbers but not the enthusiasm it seemed. Sanders is the opposite. A low ceiling but high enthusiasm. Booker wasn't going to out-flank Sanders on the left, but he could have broken Biden's electability aura by appealing to a broader tent of voters in the middle, the black voter demographic (older and younger), unite the generational gap existing between Biden's wing and Sanders wing, and be the unity candidate.

Instead I don't think anyone knew who he was pitching himself to.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Please let me re=phrase it more specifically then.

I don't find Booker's speaking to be special. Obama was a great speaking, a motivating speaker, a "special" speaker. Booker is better than many but not special. Reagan was another example of a "special" speaker.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 PM

Biden-Booker. With Harris as AG. Hillary as Special Prosecutor to investigate previous admin.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Biden-Booker. With Harris as AG.
Worth the price of admission.

Quote:
Hillary as Special Prosecutor to investigate previous admin.
Priceless!
Old 01-13-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm listening to Ezra Klein's interview with Booker, which dropped today, ironically. I've heard him interviewed before, and I've always thought he had a great story, was a thoughtful guy, and had policies that made a decent amount of sense.

I'd love to see him as VP, but since the high probability is that the Dems will nominate a (likely old) man, he's got no chance. Harris or Abrams seem more plausible.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

So Cory's booking it right out of the race, right after we saw our Marianne walking away.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
So Cory's booking it right out of the race, right after we saw our Marianne walking away.
They're not saying "Booooo," they're saying...wait, yep, they're saying "Boooo."
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Don't make me call security.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM
BANNED

Booker like Harris had no real chance of winning the nomination and to me they weren't that serious about running.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM

Favorite Cory Booker piece of trivia is that in his mayoral re-election campaign he appeared in a commercial shaking hands with the man who killed Malcolm X.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I am sad about this as I think he was a very good presence on the debate stage. I do think what doomed both the Harris and Booker campaigns is that they anticipated African-American support, but did not think that Biden would suck ALL that air out of the room (it's still very surprising to me).
Well I think that African Americans realized that getting rid of Trump was the number one priority, and may have been concerned that Booker and Williams were not the rock stars that Obama was, and so may fall victim to racism in the general election, so thought that Biden was probably the safest bet.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

He should have had a real chance of winning the nomination. Any senator or governor should, I think, be taken seriously as running for President. Yes, I know it's a crowded field, but the likes of Yang and Buttigieg should have been crowded out long before Booker or Inslee.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
He should have had a real chance of winning the nomination. Any senator or governor should, I think, be taken seriously as running for President. Yes, I know it's a crowded field, but the likes of Yang and Buttigieg should have been crowded out long before Booker or Inslee.
I agree. Booker seems to me to be far more serious than either Yang or Buttigieg. For that matter, so does Harris. We've still got some guys who don't belong- Yang, Buttigieg, Bloomberg, Steyer.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
They're not saying "Booooo," they're saying...wait, yep, they're saying "Boooo."
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Don't make me call security.

Quote:
We've still got some guys who don't belong- Yang, Buttigieg, Bloomberg, Steyer.
And of course the 'forgotten but not gone' trio: Michael Bennet, John Delaney, and Deval Patrick.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Yes. This is a very strange year. In past primaries, someone like Inslee would be a top candidate. The lack of Governors running is a bit striking.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

He was definitely crowded out in a large field. I also think focusing on poverty issues wasn’t a great strategy. I know I’m painting with a wide brush, but I don’t think those voters are watching 20 person debates in the middle of summer on cable news channels.

He was doomed with the ‘true progressives’ who would never accept him. Blah Blah Wall Street blah Big Pharma.

Pete probably took his lane by running a better campaign. And no one saw Biden absolutely nailing down and keeping black support all through 2019.

I like Booker and he’d be a great VP and should be a main contender in 2024 if the worst happens.

Oh, and FYI his book is excellent and I doubt it was all ghostwritten.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Blah Blah Wall Street blah Big Pharma.
No wonder you're a Buttigieg fan.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM

I liked Booker and I wish he did better. Along with Klobuchar, Warren, and Sanders, he's one of the 4 candidates that I'd be very happy with as the nominee (all for very different reasons). So now I'm down to 3 that I'd be happy with.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 01-13-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No wonder you're a Buttigieg fan.
Iím a Buttigieg supporter because heís the best candidate in this race. Booker was my second choice after Harris dropped out.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

That someone with such a pro-Wall Street, pro-Big Pharma attitude believes that Buttigieg is the best Democratic candidate is hardly a surprise.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I'd be okay with that. And Harris as Attorney General.
She can't sleep her way into that job.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:20 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
She can't sleep her way into that job.
Thatís exactly enough of that. Anything more like that and itíll be a warning.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:32 PM

I think Booker had no particular glaring weakness except that, in a field of dozens of contenders, there's no way you're going to stand out unless you're some politician truly special or already highly popular to begin with. And he wasn't.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyPhil View Post
Booker like Harris had no real chance of winning the nomination and to me they weren't that serious about running.
If you think Kamala Harris wasn't serious, you just weren't paying attention. Harris was REALLY serious, and it's easy to forget she was a frontrunner until her campaign derailed. It was mismanaged (in part because she trusted her sister too much) but an error is not the same as not being serious.

I don't think Kamala Harris has ever been unserious about anything. She looks like she takes going to the movies seriously.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:15 PM

I think all of them are being hurt by their pledge to restrict which donations they'll accept. At this point, with two billionaires in the race, there's zero reason to continue it. They need money to survive.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
If you think Kamala Harris wasn't serious, you just weren't paying attention. Harris was REALLY serious, and it's easy to forget she was a frontrunner until her campaign derailed. It was mismanaged (in part because she trusted her sister too much) but an error is not the same as not being serious.

I don't think Kamala Harris has ever been unserious about anything. She looks like she takes going to the movies seriously.
Harris was dead serious about winning and came into 2019 on the winds of a wonderful performance and news coverage from the Kavanaugh hearings. I think she made a serious blunder by putting too much money and time into SC. I canít judge an entire state by my ten days there but it seems that SC just isnít a state thatís chomping at the bit for Democratic Party politics and trying to reach those voters in the summer of 2019 was the same as trying to sell them Christmas trees on the 4th of July.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:42 AM

Of all the candidates I think Booker had the best shot at uniting the different parts of the Democratic party so it's a bit disappointing that he had to drop out so early. It's difficult to identify the reasons for his failure since for the most part he ran a solid campaign. Possibly he edged too far to the left and focused too much on race but it's hard to see those as decisive blunders. I think his failure just shows that political success in a tough primary is often a matter of chance; how the quirks of your personality mesh with a fleeting public mood.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:25 AM

one good thing for Booker is that he goes home to Rosario Dawson
Old 01-31-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And of course the 'forgotten but not gone' trio: Michael Bennet, John Delaney, and Deval Patrick.
OK, now John Delaney's both forgotten and gone.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now that monthly reporting is a thing. I think we will see the rest of the fringe drop.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now that monthly reporting is a thing. I think we will see the rest of the fringe drop.
Monthly reporting?! We've got a primary or caucus every week in February, and then the floodgates open on March 3.

Having to report their financials isn't gonna be the straw that breaks any campaign's back. Having to read the results from Iowa, NH, NV, SC, and Super Tuesday, though...
Old 01-31-2020, 02:55 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Please let me re=phrase it more specifically then.

I don't find Booker's speaking to be special. Obama was a great speaking, a motivating speaker, a "special" speaker. Booker is better than many but not special. Reagan was another example of a "special" speaker.
I just saw this so Iím late to the party.

You are dead wrong about Booker in that regard. Obama was a great speaker with a prepared speech. Thatís a skill no doubt and one not everyone possesses but letís not overstate it. Off the cuff Obama is a good but hardly great speaker.

I saw Booker in person speak twice. Three times really but the third was just brief remarks. The two long speeches I saw were given without notes. No TelePrompTer. Just off the top of his head. He was the definition of charismatic. The best speaker I have been in the presence of. He was truly impressive.

Personally I think he made a mistake when he went against his strengths. In the senate post-Trump and when he decided to run he tried to be more forceful. Quite frankly more angry and Trumplike. I didnít get it. Charismatic Cory gets votes. Angry Cory does not.

As for Pallone being senator, Iíve heard things I canít verify that make me glad he isnít.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Monthly reporting?! We've got a primary or caucus every week in February, and then the floodgates open on March 3.

Having to report their financials isn't gonna be the straw that breaks any campaign's back. Having to read the results from Iowa, NH, NV, SC, and Super Tuesday, though...
Yeah, but filing out all those damn reports is expensive and no shoestring ego campaign can afford it. Who wants to get a fine? Yang will stick around but at least he has a cult, an agenda, and books to sell and speaking engagements to get.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I just saw this so Iím late to the party.

You are dead wrong about Booker in that regard. Obama was a great speaker with a prepared speech. Thatís a skill no doubt and one not everyone possesses but letís not overstate it. Off the cuff Obama is a good but hardly great speaker.

I saw Booker in person speak twice. Three times really but the third was just brief remarks. The two long speeches I saw were given without notes. No TelePrompTer. Just off the top of his head. He was the definition of charismatic. The best speaker I have been in the presence of. He was truly impressive.

Personally I think he made a mistake when he went against his strengths. In the senate post-Trump and when he decided to run he tried to be more forceful. Quite frankly more angry and Trumplike. I didnít get it. Charismatic Cory gets votes. Angry Cory does not.

As for Pallone being senator, Iíve heard things I canít verify that make me glad he isnít.
I think we will be seeing more of Booker and Harris in the future. I think they were both victims of their campaign strategies and Iím sure they and their staff wish that Biden and Bernie would have sat this one out.

If there is a President Biden, Iím sure Booker along with many others, will be keeping a sharp eye open for 2024 in case itís a one term Biden. Booker, with a big state senate seat, will be in an excellent position especially given his love of getting on the cable news shows.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Favorite Cory Booker piece of trivia is that in his mayoral re-election campaign he appeared in a commercial shaking hands with the man who killed Malcolm X.
One of the men convicted of murding Malcolm X? Nope.

One of the men charged with murdering Malcom X? Nope.

Someone who shares the name of someone that a single convicted killer has since named as a gunman? Yep, he was in a commercial with Cory Booker. Might have killed Malcolm X; might not have any involvement whatsoever; we certainly don't know either way.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Michael Bennet dropped out last night, leaving Deval Patrick as the last of the 'forgotten but not gone' trio still in the race. Apparently getting 0.4% of the NH vote wasn't enough of a hint for Patrick.
Quote:
Yang will stick around but at least he has a cult, an agenda, and books to sell and speaking engagements to get.
Yang dropped out last night too.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Just took a few more hours for it to sink in maybe, but Deval Patrick has pulled the plug on his campaign.

Too bad, I was looking forward to the slogan "Better the Deval you know..."
Old 02-12-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Just took a few more hours for it to sink in maybe, but Deval Patrick has pulled the plug on his campaign.

Too bad, I was looking forward to the slogan "Better the Deval you know..."
He says, on his website: "Having delivered health care to 99% of Massachusetts residents . . . I believed and still believe we had a strong case to make for being able to deliver better outcomes."

It must be painful (should I say deceitful?) to have to stoop so low that you try to steal the glory from someone like Mitt Romney.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:57 AM
SDSAB

I was a Booker fan after meeting him two years ago at a fundraiser in Ohio - friendly, very charismatic, and gave a great speech. I liked most of what I read about his work as mayor and U.S. senator. Sorry he got out when he did - I would have liked him to at least get to Iowa and New Hampshire - but I don't fault him for it. Hope he'll be the Dems' VP pick this year, or run again for the top job sometime down the road.