Old 02-09-2020, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

My Sipping Dilemma (What To Drink All Day).

Interesting discussion I had with one of my doctors not to long ago. You see I have this problem, call it a nervous condition. I have to be sipping something all day long. I eat on and off too. But sipping some liquid is more commonplace for me.

A little background. I have ulcerative colitis, well under control. But my doctor says I should avoid highly caffeinated drinks like coffee and tea (my favorites). Also on another thread on the SDMB someone brought up that mint tea is a laxative.

So what should I drink all day? I am looking for something harmless that I can just sip all day long. I should also tell you I like something that is satisfying too (which is probably why I love caffeinated beverages).

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. And thank you in advance for your help and kindly remarks.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:42 AM

What about herbal tea? I like the tannic taste of rooibos. I have no idea if drinking a lot of it is harmful, though. I also like elderberry tea.

Would munching on crushed ice satisfy your nervous needs?
Old 02-09-2020, 12:51 AM

Beer works for me.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 02-09-2020 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Before I get Modded, this is a serious answer. Explains most of my posts after 7pm
Old 02-09-2020, 12:56 AM

Ice water with some fruit or herbs for flavoring. Water with a slice of lemon, lime, or orange. Some people like mint and cucumber as flavoring. I've seem melons and berries used as well.

I know I should drink more water, but I find it much easier when it has a flavor.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:16 AM

For me, it's diet soda in a variety of flavors.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:18 AM

Decaf coffee or tea. Hot or iced.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Water with a slice of lemon...
That's my mom's drink of choice.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:52 AM

There are so many delicious herbal teas. Tazo Wild Sweet Orange is a favorite of mine. Lemon Zinger is good. No sweetener needed.

Sparkling water is nice too. I don’t like the ones with sweeteners, watch out for that. But there are many good ones. Bubly, La Croix, Arrowhead and Talking Rain are brands I buy a lot. I have heard that there are many good store brands too.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:56 AM

Rooibos tea (a herbal tea) has been shown to be anti-inflammatory and to help with colitis.

Studies of anti-inflammatory effects of Rooibos tea in rats

Quote:
BACKGROUND:

Rooibos tea is known to be caffeine free with abundant flavonoids. Aspalathin and nothofagin, the main flavonoids contained in Rooibos tea, have stronger anti-oxidative activity than other flavonoids. As oxidative stress can induce inflammation, the anti-inflammatory effects of Rooibos tea were investigated using a rat colitis model.

CONCLUSION:

Rooibos tea may prevent DNA damage and inflammation by its anti-oxidative activity in vivo. As Rooibos tea is free from caffeine, routine intake may be safe and useful in reducing oxidative stress in children.

Last edited by GreenWyvern; 02-09-2020 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:10 AM

Whatever flavor you decide on- would it help to carbonate it with a soda stream?

Ok, so you aren't replacing soda, just the caffeinated beverages, but it may help.

Last edited by raventhief; 02-09-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:19 AM

I think with anything other than water you are pretty much just soaking your teeth in disgusting harmful stuff. Other things are made to be enjoyed with food or perhaps not but at least consumed in a brief period, not sipped all day.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 02-09-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
What about herbal tea?
There is such a wide range of herbal tea that one can definitely find something to enjoy. I have Indian friends and whenever they offer me tea I find it astonishing how tasty and pleasurable their tea is.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:34 AM

I like to sip on water with a little bit of lemonade or limeade added, usually at about an 8 to 1 ratio.

Sometimes in the summer I go with really cold water with just a little bit ( a drop, really) of peppermint extract added. If you get the ratio right, the water doesn’t even taste minty, just really crisp and refreshing.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 02-09-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Tonic with lime works for me.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:54 AM

I've never really been into bourbon, but this xmas two friends gave me bottles of Makers Mark (different varieties). I cracked open a bottle the other day and it was actually very good.

Also consider getting a sodastream. I modded mine to take paintball CO2 canisters, which works way better economically.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:10 AM

Water. Water-water-water-water, and more water. I am a polluting snob, I prefer bottled water, but my favorite drink of all is...water. We do recycle the bottles.

Lately I've been drinkling a lot of sparkling waters. Perrier, Bubly, San Pellegrino. I cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners, so I have to be careful when shopping for the flavored bubblies.

But the very very best of all is WATER!

~VOW
Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 AM

Piping hot water out of a coffee mug. It's surprisingly satisfying.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Sparkling water is nice too. I donít like the ones with sweeteners, watch out for that. But there are many good ones. Bubly, La Croix, Arrowhead and Talking Rain are brands I buy a lot. I have heard that there are many good store brands too.
I like the Aldi one: Belle Vie. It's about $3/12 pack.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Arnold Palmer: half iced tea, half lemonade. I make mine by combining one package each of Crystal Light powdered drink mixes. Makes a gallon. Inexpensive, much less weight to carry from the store and much less plastic to recycle than buying gallon jugs of Arizona-brand AP, and zero calories.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 AM

I swear to buddha I read the title as my slipping dementia.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:00 AM

What is wrong w/ just plain water? How is the water out of your tap? Unless you are on a well or something, just keep pouring. Here in Chicago, we get great water out of the tap. I simply cannot comprehend why a bunch of my officemates contribute to a fund to pay for a water cooler.

I drink 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning, and then switch to water, which I swill all day long. RARELY if I am out somewhere, I'll have a lemonade or iced tea or something, but the majority of time, my beverage of choice is water. Tepid tap water - yum!
Old 02-11-2020, 02:09 PM

Drinking carbonated anything all day long will destroy your teeth in short order.

Stick with water.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Drinking carbonated anything all day long will destroy your teeth in short order.
From what I can find, sparkling water seems to be fine.

Quote:
So, is sparkling water bad for your teeth? It's much less erosive than other beverages. Perhaps most importantly, as the ADA points out, it has a similar effect on your teeth's enamel as regular, non-carbonated water. To keep your teeth as healthy as possible, the ADA recommends swapping sugary beverages for sparkling water, but not replacing regular, fluoridated water with sparkling water.
Bolding mine.

I went years drinking sparkling water almost every day without any teeth issues. I don't drink it as much now, but I drink other things that are probably more acidic (like sugar-free lemonade and carbonated diet soda) regularly, and still no issues. Granted, an anecdote doesn't make a study, but see above.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 PM

Anything that is going to be in your mouth ALL DAY should be water. Just water.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
From what I can find, sparkling water seems to be fine.

Bolding mine.

I went years drinking sparkling water almost every day without any teeth issues. I don't drink it as much now, but I drink other things that are probably more acidic (like sugar-free lemonade and carbonated diet soda) regularly, and still no issues. Granted, an anecdote doesn't make a study, but see above.
Drinking sparkling water is not a problem; the OP said sipping all day long.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:36 PM

I'm going to guess that if water, just water, were a fulfilling option for you, Jim B., you wouldn't have posted here because it's such an obvious choice. And you didn't ask about the healthiest beverage; you asked for a good replacement for the coffee/tea you're so used to. I find that when I keep water, just water near me, I forget to sip it. If it's something with a little flavor, I sip it automatically.

Since you're used to coffee and tea, a hot beverage seems to me a better replacement. I drink herbal tea (usually apple spice) with a splash of fruit juice to replace sweetener or a dollop of cashew milk if I want a creamier drink. When I want something cold, I have flavored sparkling water (no sugar). Lime is a favorite.

Hope you find a satisfying replacement!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Drinking sparkling water is not a problem; the OP said sipping all day long.
If he had been sipping coffee and/or tea all day long before, surely carbonated water or any of its substitutes would be better on his teeth, anyway, no? Yes, still water is almost certainly best, but even sparkling water, as noted by the ADA, has "a similar effect on your teeth's enamel as regular, non-carbonated water."

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-11-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Ice. Ice ice ice ice. It annoys my coworkers, but not that much, so they say. I try to be quiet.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
Rooibos tea (a herbal tea) has been shown to be anti-inflammatory and to help with colitis.
You forgot to mention how it tastes. It hits the midpoint between shit and sawdust, IMHO. Some people must like it though - it would be great if the OP is one. (Note to Jim B.: if you decide to try rooibos, don't spend a fortune on a large quantity until you've tried it. Get the smallest possible package to see if you find it palatable or not first.)

The "zing" in various Celestial Seasoning zinger teas is rosella (aka "hibiscus," although it is NOT the same as the bush most Americans think of when they think of a hibiscus flower). It's caffeine-free and utterly delicious, though some people find it too sour to drink without added sugar. Bonus, it has been found to have a mild blood-pressure lowering effect.

Because rosella is a bit sour, you might want to purchase a small quantity first, as with the rooibos. (And be sure to buy PURE rosella - I got some from Thailand a while ago that was just a pekoe (which has caffeine) with rosella bits added. I left a disgruntled review on Amazon so if you shop there you can be warned away from it.)

Last edited by CairoCarol; 02-11-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
You forgot to mention how it tastes. It hits the midpoint between shit and sawdust, IMHO. Some people must like it though - it would be great if the OP is one. (Note to Jim B.: if you decide to try rooibos, don't spend a fortune on a large quantity until you've tried it. Get the smallest possible package to see if you find it palatable or not first.)
Most of the rooibos teas I have seen are combined with something else - I have one in my pantry that's orange spice-flavored.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 PM

As someone who has to work at staying hydrated, I applaud anyone who sips all day.

Most of my habits are annoying, I'd love to have a constructive one like this!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Iced tea for me (unsweetened).

Iced coffee, if I'm feeling like something with a little more kick (but also unsweetened).
Old 02-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Another vote for water. Cold, ice cubes, room temperature, put lemon in it, whatever it takes. I can now drink room temperature water and that quenches my thirst just fine.