Old 02-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I discovered that one of my favorite episodes of Nova is now available on the Internet Archive, so now when I'm telling people the story, I can just link to the episode.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:52 AM

I figured out why one of the timers that control my showcase lights had been acting wonky ever since we had a momentary power outage a few days ago. Turns out one of the settings got altered, and instead of turning on every day at 3:00, it was set to turn on on Mondays at 3:00. Baffled me for quite a while, it did, but today I sat down with the timer and figured out the problem in about two minutes..
Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 AM

Shhh.
Don't tell anyone. I opened a zombie thread.
It's appropriate for the holiday.
()
Old 02-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Tasked by Mrs Trep with buying six free range eggs in a local Sainsbury's, I succeeded. Eventually.

(Note to Messrs Sainsbury - it would be better if you didn't hire compilers of cryptic crosswords to help design your store layout. Where to locate eggs? Next to the batteries, of course. You can't make this stuff up.)

j
Old 02-15-2020, 11:26 AM

Successfully changed cable and internet providers. The installer is here now. Yay for internet I can actually access!

ETA: Also BarkBox came and the dogs are very, very happy. They're going to end up with too many toys, but it's really great to get new things into the rotation. It keeps them playing for days.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 02-15-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
Not really. I mean, it's not bad or anything, it's just normal. Mine's a diesel so it sounds a bit like a truck when it idles, it also gets pretty good fuel economy for a big car (35 mpg). It has fairly high suspension for a wagon so I have no problems with driving off piste. It hasn't been perfect, it had an issue with a turbo hose, and the airbags were subject to a recall, but even with the benefit of hindsight, it was the right car for us.

The outback is a bigger car than the CX-5. Cargo capacity is 1800 litres vs 1355 with the seats folded down. With the seats up the capacity is 512 vs 455 litres which suggests to me that there is a lot more leg room for the rear passengers in the Outback.
Yes the rear seats in Mazda look a bit tight, Iím not transporting Little kids anymore but I was hoping to bribe one or both Young adults to take a road trip south with me to see Gparents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
For "fun to drive" from those makes, your choices are BRZ or MX-5.
Yes a two seater is what I should really hold out for fun driving. Dang this muddies the waters further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
We just bought a CX-5. Mrs R loves it; it's quiet and powerful and roomy and that beautiful candy-apple red color. If I were to describe the driving experience in one word, that word would be "serene". However, we're still figuring out all the electronics.
I know! And whatís with all the music streaming options? Aha, etc etc never heard of em. And no CD playerís in new cars anymore? My 2011 has 6 cd changer!
Old 02-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Not 15 minutes ago, I hung that colored glass thingy I bought last July, in my bedroom window where it will catch the light. Finally, something off the to-do list!
Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I just updated my to-do list. Does that count as a mundane victory?
Old 02-17-2020, 02:05 AM

I got one of my neighbors to admit that he’s a slob. I won’t go into too many details, mostly because he’s a nice guy, but he’s got the habit of decorating the street with trash: mostly bags and wrappers but also the uneaten food they contain. Again, an otherwise nice guy, but it’s like every day and night he’s got to throw trash from the window of his parked car: half-eaten sandwiches, Cheetos, banana peels, fast food containers, beverage cans, the remains of a family-sized pizza and the box it came in, etc. It all goes from his hands straight to the ground. So, the other day, he was sitting in his car with a pile of trash on the driver’s side, I asked if it was his, he said it was, and he hung his head in shame and admitted to being a slob. He found a paper bag in his car and actually got out and started cleaning it up! So I helped him, which made him feel worse, and then I insisted on carrying the bag to the dumpster at the end of the street, which made him feel even worse! Sometimes you have to be kind to be cruel. Too soon to call it a victory, but we didn’t get in a fistfight (he’s got a nasty temper) and our friendship is intact, and that’s enough of a victory for me.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I just updated my to-do list. Does that count as a mundane victory?
You're damn right it does. Every to-do list should start with the item "create or update to-do list," just to get things rolling.

My current one is that I've finally, after all the arcane and borderline useless explanations I've read online, figured out how to make rsync do what I want it to do, and I'm making good progress in retroactively applying it to some backups that I have, which were done in the "just zip everything up and we'll deal with all the duplicate files later" method.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:55 PM

Signed up a long time ago for NoMoRobo. But for some time it never seemed to do anything. I chalked it up to spammers using local prefixes not on their list. But people have posted here about how great it works.

Got two (presumably) spam calls earlier. Checked the numbers online and found that they were in NoMoRobo's DB. So I did their test, I wasn't protected. Went thru the set up instructions. Everything was kosher ... until the very last step. Apparently I did a forwarding thing while on a trip and when I reset it, didn't put it back the way it was. Did the test, protected!

Already have had one call blocked. Yippee!

(The local prefix issue has died down quite a bit since the latest law went into effect.)