Old 01-31-2020, 11:34 PM

NHL 103 - February 2020

Opening new thread for February.

Still quite a few "bubble teams."
Old 01-31-2020, 11:41 PM

Pffft. What is that? Please fix mods.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I kinda like that title. Februaryary: the month is short so you gave it a longer name!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:05 AM

One hell of an echo in here.

I predict the Blue Jackets will keep on winning, as long as they keep the regulars out of the lineup and continue to rely on call-ups from the Cleveland Monsters.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I predict the Stars will win every game that Jamie Benn stays awake for.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I continue to believe that Holtby will regain form and that Samsonov will cool down, but it is February now. And, that’ll really make the decision about keeping Holtby to be difficult
Old 02-01-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I kinda like that title. Februaryary: the month is short so you gave it a longer name!
And tonight is the battle of Ontariario
Old 02-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Lousy Smarch weather!
Old 02-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Lol, it reminds me of that Garth Brooks song.

‘We’ll put some country music on the radio ay oh’
Old 02-01-2020, 11:49 PM

Cut it out Alberta, you redneck fucks.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I fixed the title.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:31 AM

Not sure if the Canucks are being a cruel tease by going 12-3-0 in their last 15 and sitting strangely on the top of the Pacific division. What - they're intimating that they actually might qualify for a wild card?! BAH! Do not toy with me like this!!!!!
Really pleased on how wrong my specualtion was that JT Miller would doubtfully live up to being traded for a first rounder. In many ways he's become their gritty team leader, already only three goals shy of his season's best, pushing teammates to play more of a 200-foot game, and a perfect linemate for young superstar Elias Pettersson, who's playing kinda lukewarm presently. And speaking of young superstars - defenseman Quinn Hughes is currently leading all rookies in scoring, and continuously coming up with fancy deking and shooting plays like this. oooooo high glove! That would be so rad to see Van get two Calders in a row.
In their win against the Islanders yesterday (in that very strange-looking Brooklyn rink they have) I was pleased to be able to watch NYI's Mathew Barzal again. He must have had at least 30 possessions - not once an errant pass or mistake of any kind - quite mesmerizing to watch. Barring injuries, he should have an absolutely fanstastic career. His speed, puck-handling, passing, shooting - every single aspect of his game - {{{SCARY.}}}
Old 02-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I fixed the title.
Thank you.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:50 PM

Fun to see Joel Kiviranta score his first NHL goal last night! I've been watching him down in Cedar Park this year, the kid can play.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoog View Post
Fun to see Joel Kiviranta score his first NHL goal last night! I've been watching him down in Cedar Park this year, the kid can play.
Ditto. But whenever they say his name I keep thinking they're saying Ante Ranta and get confused. Duh. Anyway the Stars proved they can win a game even when Jamie Benn keeps on sleepskating. Kind of.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
In their win against the Islanders yesterday (in that very strange-looking Brooklyn rink they have) I was pleased to be able to watch NYI's Mathew Barzal again. He must have had at least 30 possessions - not once an errant pass or mistake of any kind - quite mesmerizing to watch. Barring injuries, he should have an absolutely fanstastic career. His speed, puck-handling, passing, shooting - every single aspect of his game - {{{SCARY.}}}
Yeah, I just wish he'd shoot more (and score more).

Regarding the rink, if you look at it from the outside, you can see where a road goes by and cuts off any chance of expanding in that one direction. The result is that the seating goes straight up and a chunk of the ice is obstructed from those seats. The arena was designed for basketball, I guess.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:13 PM

Looks like the Battle of Alberta is a thing again.

Took 30 years, but what the hey.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I remember the Blackhawks.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 PM

Ovechkin had another hat trick, this one in just under five minutes of game play. He now has 698 career goals. Maybe I should go to his next game - Saturday versus the Flyers.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:49 PM

Can I take a moment to complain about the Metro division? It's so freakin' tight that one game gets you from top three to second wild card. The Caps are running away with first place, and the Penguins are fairly far ahead. Then, in third place, there's Blue Jackets at 67, then Isles at 66, the Flyers at 65. If the Jackets lose and the Flyers win (depending on tie breakers, I guess), the Jackets could be almost out of the playoffs.

Right behind the Flyers are the 'Canes and Leafs at 63. There's no room for error and the Isles do make some error from time to time.

At least the Isles play the lowly Kings tonight -- kinds of a should win/must win, I guess.

How about those Blue Jackets? They traded away all of their talent and are still contenders.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Can I take a moment to complain about the Metro division?
Why? Outside of seeding in the first round of the playoffs, the playoff teams are on a conference basis. In fact, whenever I check the standings, I immediately change the view to "Conference" instead of the default "Divisional" view without even a glance at it.

In all honesty, I don't even know why they have divisions in the first place. I guess that, by clustering the teams in smaller groups (divisions), they make the hopeless teams look less hopeless and out of it than they actually are.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Why? Outside of seeding in the first round of the playoffs, the playoff teams are on a conference basis. In fact, whenever I check the standings, I immediately change the view to "Conference" instead of the default "Divisional" view without even a glance at it.

In all honesty, I don't even know why they have divisions in the first place. I guess that, by clustering the teams in smaller groups (divisions), they make the hopeless teams look less hopeless and out of it than they actually are.
Divisions still matter the way it's currently set up. Top three teams of each division, regardless of points, make the playoffs. So, it's the tight Metro division that has teams bouncing around from top three to out of the playoffs., while the Atlantic division's fourth place team is behind Also, the teams in each division play each other four times, as opposed to only three or two for the other division/conference.

The Islanders pulled out a win tonight against the Kings after starting out down by two. Then, the Devils did the Isles a favor by smoking the Flyers 5-0. So, NY is back in the top three and ahead of the Wild Card for now. Whew.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post

That was true before the most recent changes. Divisions are very much a factor for the first two rounds. There is no longer a reseeding between rounds. The top three in each division go into a playoff bracket with a wildcard team.

I agree that the focus on divisions creates some weird results like the top two teams in the league possibly playing in the second round.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM

Scary: Jay Moumeester collapses on bench. .
Good to hear latest update is that he's conscious and alert.
General manager stated it was a cardiac epidosde.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Bouwmeester thing sounds very much like the Rich Peverley incident. Peverley had known heart issues but never played again.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:06 PM

A few years ago, the Thrashers goalie collapsed on the ice, was carried off and play continued. How do they decide?
Old 02-13-2020, 06:00 PM

Well, the attending doctors and medical staff assess each situation, obviously. In the case of Pavelec, he fainted. I assume his heart rate and other vital signs were fine.

Bouwmeester needed defibrillation!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 PM

Surprised to learn that Detroit's Jeff Blashil is the third most tenured coach right now.

Heh - and Torts is fourth.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:14 PM

I guess my question wasn’t clear. Once the player is assessed and removed for further treatment, the on ice situation is no different than any other in-game injury. Teams play a man down all the time.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM

Being down a man is no big deal. Players get injured all the time, as you mentioned. But in Bouwmeester's case his teammates and opposition almost saw him die, and for all they knew he possibly still COULD die.

No one wants to concentrate on a stupid hockey game knowing your teammate could be fighting for his life.

I'm sure Berube told the refs his team couldn't continue, and I'm sure Eakins, Anaheim's coach, said "No problem. Let's reschedule."

From there the refs would have contacted NHL HQ in Toronto who would have had no issues with a rescheduled game.

By the way, when the game is rescheduled it will be a full 60 minute game, but will start as a 1-1 tie. I assume that is to allow the stats, goals, assists, etc. to remain.

Last edited by Leaffan; 02-13-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:57 PM

I should have googled. This was from the St. Louis paper, Armstrong is the Blues GM.

Quote:
Armstrong said he and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, NHL executive vice president Colin Campbell, and Anaheim general manager Bob Murray moved quickly to postpone Tuesday’s game after Bouwmeester collapsed.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
I should have googled. This was from the St. Louis paper, Armstrong is the Blues GM.
Ah. Thank you. I didn't see that.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:09 PM

Also adding that a few of the required "medical personnel" accompanied Boumeester to the hospital, thus leaving the game understaffed per NHL requirements...

On a side note Jay successfully underwent an ICU (implantable cardioverter defibrillator) procedure...Bouwmeester is my favorite Blues player. Two years ago when everyone here was trashing him i held fast and believed he would return to his IronMan form, which he did! He was the first person Petro handed the cup to after winning the Cup in '19.

I, sadly, doubt he will return to the game.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
... I, sadly, doubt he will return to the game.
My thoughts too when I read about the medical procedure. Hey, he's in his 19th season and is only signed for this year. I'd say he's had an exceptional career.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Zackass got lucky with only a 7 game suspension.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:31 PM

Imagine if that skate blade had slid along the jersey and went upwards.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:41 PM

Great game tonight, huh Leaffan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Imagine if that skate blade had slid along the jersey and went upwards.
Good lord, that's happened twice before -- we don't need another.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Great game tonight, huh Leaffan? .
I'm really glad I didn't watch it.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:25 PM

The Senators celebrated Chris Phillips' jersey retirement with a 7-4 win over Buffalo -- exactly the type of game Phillips preferred to play in .
Old 02-20-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I'm really glad I didn't watch it.
Well, I assume you're watching tonight. Oh well, maybe this'll keep us on our toes, if you know what I mean?

I really, really hope Kahun isn't seriously injured. This is NOT good.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Well, I assume you're watching tonight. Oh well, maybe this'll keep us on our toes, if you know what I mean?

I really, really hope Kahun isn't seriously injured. This is NOT good.
Good game tonight.
That's more like it!