Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #43501  
Old 02-09-2020, 08:24 PM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 18,179
Also tapirs, a tropical mammal resembling a hog.
__________________
Uke
  #43502  
Old 02-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,632
...and probably shouldn't ignore the Rupert Pupkin-y type of taping as well the other kind of taping , which then of course gets really steamy .
  #43503  
Old 02-09-2020, 09:54 PM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Is it not Cue-Anon?
It's "Blithering Idiot".
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #43504  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
A "Q" level clearance isn't such a big thing anyway, if it's the same as the "Q" clearance I once had. I worked at a secure government facility in the 1970's, with a thousand-or-so employees and we all had to have a security clearance to work there. The "Q" clearance seemed to be the standard basic level of clearance for the masses, that everyone there had. I think there were higher levels of clearance for some of the really sensitive stuff.
Not even that. Q clearance is issued by the DOE and deals with atomic stuff, both the kind that goes bang and the kind that generates electricity. While a person with Q clearance also has also Top Secret Compartmented information clearance -- the level I had in the Navy -- he or she would have no more access to the stuff I knew than I would to the innards of the latest hydrogen bomb. Clearance does not confer access carte blanche to everything. As always that is on a need to know basis.
  #43505  
Old 02-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,526
Saying the quiet part out loud:

Quote:
CPAC chairman says he would fear for Mitt Romney’s 'physical safety' at conference

...On Sunday, one influential conservative went so far as to say he could not be sure of Romney's safety at a major right-wing gathering, alarming some of the Utah senator's defenders and -- in some critics' eyes -- crossing a line from outrage to threat.

Matt Schlapp, chairman of the Conservative Political Action Conference, made the controversial comments Sunday as he explained why Romney would be excluded from this year’s four-day event....
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #43506  
Old 02-10-2020, 03:32 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,919
Brit Hume from Fox News: The idea that rich people are running the country is a conspiracy theory.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ne...g-the-country?
  #43507  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 18,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
It's "Blithering Idiot".
Yeah, I’m with this. Don’t even bother to pronounce it correctly. Screw ‘em.
__________________
Uke
  #43508  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Brit Hume from Fox News: The idea that rich people are running the country is a conspiracy theory.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ne...g-the-country?
Yeaaaah, it's the gardeners and dishwashers who are running the country?
__________________
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
- C. Darwin
  #43509  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Brit Hume from Fox News: The idea that rich people are running the country is a conspiracy theory.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ne...g-the-country?
Well of course. Rich people are leaders and innovators and job creators and are therefore responsible when things go well, but not when things go wrong. That's just common sense.
  #43510  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:01 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Saying the quiet part out loud:
Things Romney needs to watch out for:

- Workmen setting up a pike outside RNC headquarters
- Any event where one of the guests flies in from Saudi Arabia and brings his own bone saw
- Seeing Trump approach him while they are both walking down Fifth Avenue
  #43511  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 17,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Things Romney needs to watch out for:

- Workmen setting up a pike outside RNC headquarters
- Any event where one of the guests flies in from Saudi Arabia and brings his own bone saw
- Seeing Trump approach him while they are both walking down Fifth Avenue
The gift of an umbrella.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 02-11-2020 at 05:56 AM.
  #43512  
Old 02-11-2020, 06:28 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Things Romney needs to watch out for:

- Workmen setting up a pike outside RNC headquarters
- Any event where one of the guests flies in from Saudi Arabia and brings his own bone saw
- Seeing Trump approach him while they are both walking down Fifth Avenue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The gift of an umbrella.
- An all-expenses-paid trip to see Salisbury Cathedral and a free lunch voucher for Itsu, Piccadilly.
  #43513  
Old 02-12-2020, 01:28 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,579
It isn't exactly a stupid Republican idea, more like stupid conservative media idea, but I couldn't be bothered to start a new thread. Back in 2017, the right wing got all wound up when Antifa threatened a small group of Civil War reenactors in Virginia. The reenactment group received letters saying Antifa opposed them for celebrating slavery. At one point, a crude pipe bomb was found during a reenactment. Conservative media took all this as evidence that the left was anti-history and middle aged men couldn't get their jollies running around in wool overcoats and shooting off muskets anymore.

Only...probably not. The FBI now believes the letters and pipe bomb were the creation of a former member of the reenactment group who was pissed off at having been pushed out. They were all apparently an elaborate revenge plot. Antifa, shockingly, has little interest in how a dozen or so cosplayers spend their weekends.

https://qz.com/1800988/antifa-falsel...vil-war-group/
  #43514  
Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,169
I knew a woman who was a CW reenactor, being a horsewoman, some Virginia cavalry regiment. When Glory premiered the group attended enmasse. They debated whether they should show up in costume or not, and decided it was a bad idea.

Last edited by DesertDog; 02-12-2020 at 09:26 AM.
  #43515  
Old 02-12-2020, 06:46 PM
GreysonCarlisle's Avatar
GreysonCarlisle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,509
Republicans in Tennessee are worried that women will abuse the privilege of buying pads and tampons tax-free during the upcoming tax holiday.
  #43516  
Old 02-12-2020, 11:47 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,919
Jim Bakker is selling something on his broadcasts called Silver Solution, which he claims will cure coronavirus.
https://www.newsweek.com/televangeli...avirus-1487069
  #43517  
Old 02-13-2020, 12:08 AM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Things Romney needs to watch out for:

- Workmen setting up a pike outside RNC headquarters
- Any event where one of the guests flies in from Saudi Arabia and brings his own bone saw
- Seeing Trump approach him while they are both walking down Fifth Avenue
An invitation to tea in London.
  #43518  
Old 02-13-2020, 04:11 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Things Romney needs to watch out for:

- Workmen setting up a pike outside RNC headquarters
- Any event where one of the guests flies in from Saudi Arabia and brings his own bone saw
- Seeing Trump approach him while they are both walking down Fifth Avenue

- Trump coming up behind him.
  #43519  
Old 02-13-2020, 05:46 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,379

x hol


Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Republicans in Tennessee are worried that women will abuse the privilege of buying pads and tampons tax-free during the upcoming tax holiday.
"Why, I hear some women have got themselves two or three extra vaginas just so they could take advantage of the cheaper products!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Jim Bakker is selling something on his broadcasts called Silver Solution, which he claims will cure coronavirus.
https://www.newsweek.com/televangeli...avirus-1487069
I'd feel bad about this but the suckers who fall for this are the same suckers who support Trump.
  #43520  
Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,169
Assuming it's colloidal silver, the fact it turns your skin blue is overlooked. At least it's not black.

If my conscience ever let me sell snake oil, the first thing I'd get is a mailing list of Trump campaign donors.

Last edited by DesertDog; 02-13-2020 at 10:25 AM.
  #43521  
Old 02-13-2020, 03:57 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 86,779
Because of course Republicans love taxes, as long as they only fall on women.
  #43522  
Old 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 17,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Because of course Republicans love taxes, as long as they only fall on women.
And poor people.
  #43523  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:47 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Republicans in Tennessee are worried that women will abuse the privilege of buying pads and tampons tax-free during the upcoming tax holiday.
Damn straight! ParTAY! We're going to dip tampons in glitter and spin them around by the strings like a stripper whipping her bra off at a bachelor party.

Oh, wait, that was a secret??
  #43524  
Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Assuming it's colloidal silver, the fact it turns your skin blue is overlooked.
From the above link,

Quote:
… It currently sells on Bakker's website in a variety of packages with a 16-ounce bottle costing 40, but shoppers can purchase bundles of the product that cost up to $300. The label states that the solution contains deionized water, but no other ingredients.… Newsweek could not verify the claim that Silver Solution supports the immune system or kills the coronavirus, nor confirm that colloidal silver is used in Bakker's solution.
You can call a thing "Silver Solution", but that is just a name, like a "Bronze Plan" health insurance policy, which has no actual bronze in it. Or it could be one of those homeopathic-like "treatments", where the water once came briefly in contact with some silver.

Last edited by eschereal; 02-14-2020 at 08:17 PM.
  #43525  
Old 02-14-2020, 09:52 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
From the above link,



You can call a thing "Silver Solution", but that is just a name, like a "Bronze Plan" health insurance policy, which has no actual bronze in it. Or it could be one of those homeopathic-like "treatments", where the water once came briefly in contact with some silver.

Silver Solution is the perfect name for that trash he's selling. It's his solution to get your silver.
  #43526  
Old 02-15-2020, 03:37 AM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Silver Solution is the perfect name for that trash he's selling. It's his solution to get your silver.
Forty pieces of because, inflation.

CMC fnord!
  #43527  
Old 02-15-2020, 10:30 AM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Assuming it's colloidal silver, the fact it turns your skin blue is overlooked. At least it's not black.

If my conscience ever let me sell snake oil, the first thing I'd get is a mailing list of Trump campaign donors.

I always thought the Smurfs were evil. I hope this shit catches on so then we can see the bastards coming.
  #43528  
Old 02-15-2020, 01:38 PM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,734
Stupid Republican asshole Nicholas Meriwether is a professor at a public university. Because he is a evangelical Christian and that fact (for reasons I still cannot fathom) requires him to be a complete asshole to people he thinks are sinners, he refused to treat a transgendered woman in his class with common respect. While using the requested form of gender identity (Mr., Mrs. or Ms.) for all his students, he singled out the transgendered one and just called her by her last name.

After numerous back and forth between the "I have a religious right to be an asshole" teacher and school administration (which had a specific Nondiscrimination policy), he was issued a written warning for creating a hostile work environment for the student. He appealed to the school, lost, and then, of course, sued in federal court. He claimed he has a right to be a dick, both for free speech and for religious reasons. He lost, appealed again, and just a few days ago, lost again. I hope, but do not necessarily expect, this is the end of it. And, putting aside the legal issues, a hearty fuck you to a guy who refuses to treat all people with respect and hides his assholishness behind religion. And a fuck you to all the people and corporations that think their religious beliefs requires them to be dicks to others. I like to think Jesus would be very, very sad at them.

Last edited by Hamlet; 02-15-2020 at 01:40 PM.
  #43529  
Old 02-15-2020, 02:03 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Stupid Republican asshole Nicholas Meriwether is a professor at a public university. Because he is a evangelical Christian and that fact (for reasons I still cannot fathom) requires him to be a complete asshole to people he thinks are sinners, he refused to treat a transgendered woman in his class with common respect. While using the requested form of gender identity (Mr., Mrs. or Ms.) for all his students, he singled out the transgendered one and just called her by her last name.

After numerous back and forth between the "I have a religious right to be an asshole" teacher and school administration (which had a specific Nondiscrimination policy), he was issued a written warning for creating a hostile work environment for the student. He appealed to the school, lost, and then, of course, sued in federal court. He claimed he has a right to be a dick, both for free speech and for religious reasons. He lost, appealed again, and just a few days ago, lost again. I hope, but do not necessarily expect, this is the end of it. And, putting aside the legal issues, a hearty fuck you to a guy who refuses to treat all people with respect and hides his assholishness behind religion. And a fuck you to all the people and corporations that think their religious beliefs requires them to be dicks to others. I like to think Jesus would be very, very sad at them.

How come their religion requires them to be assholes? Jesus specifically said not to be an asshole, but these guys always seem to dabble in Jesus' works as a cover for really devoting themselves to sphincterhood.
  #43530  
Old 02-15-2020, 03:19 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,893
Unless she was changing money in the classroom, in which case feel free to kick her desk over.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #43531  
Old 02-15-2020, 03:32 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,893
An afterthought occurs - what if a religious person considers certain words/phrases to be taboo, i.e. has an aversion to saying "yahweh" out loud, and has a student from a country where neither English nor Hebrew is spoken and happens to have a name that, when transliterated, sounds like "yahweh" but has no connection to the religious concept in the student's language? Could the professor mumble the name? Refer to that student (possibly only that student) by an alternate name? Does the student have grounds to object? The professor's beliefs aren't being challenged - he's free to believe whatever he wants about the meaning of the student's name - but if he's referring to all his students by their names and makes an exception for this student, is that unreasonable?

I'd say "yes", myself - leave that stuff at home, Prof. Do your job. If a student comes along later and insists their name is something deliberately offensive, i.e. "My name is John Franklin Jesus-Sucked, please respect the hyphen", I think reasonable people can judge who is being the aggressor.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #43532  
Old 02-16-2020, 12:20 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
An afterthought occurs - what if a religious person considers certain words/phrases to be taboo, i.e. has an aversion to saying "yahweh" out loud, and has a student from a country where neither English nor Hebrew is spoken and happens to have a name that, when transliterated, sounds like "yahweh" but has no connection to the religious concept in the student's language? Could the professor mumble the name? Refer to that student (possibly only that student) by an alternate name? Does the student have grounds to object? The professor's beliefs aren't being challenged - he's free to believe whatever he wants about the meaning of the student's name - but if he's referring to all his students by their names and makes an exception for this student, is that unreasonable?

I'd say "yes", myself - leave that stuff at home, Prof. Do your job. If a student comes along later and insists their name is something deliberately offensive, i.e. "My name is John Franklin Jesus-Sucked, please respect the hyphen", I think reasonable people can judge who is being the aggressor.

If the student explained it's just the sound not the meaning.....it's a proper name, it's not like it's a word that can be swapped out.
  #43533  
Old 02-16-2020, 12:27 PM
GreysonCarlisle's Avatar
GreysonCarlisle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
An afterthought occurs - what if a religious person considers certain words/phrases to be taboo, i.e. has an aversion to saying "yahweh" out loud, and has a student from a country where neither English nor Hebrew is spoken and happens to have a name that, when transliterated, sounds like "yahweh" but has no connection to the religious concept in the student's language? Could the professor mumble the name? Refer to that student (possibly only that student) by an alternate name? Does the student have grounds to object? The professor's beliefs aren't being challenged - he's free to believe whatever he wants about the meaning of the student's name - but if he's referring to all his students by their names and makes an exception for this student, is that unreasonable?
I had a professor who was also a preacher. One student, Jesus, got a nickname because the prof couldn't bring himself to call the guy Jesus or even Hey Seuss. Yes, it was unreasonable and I doubt it'd be tolerated today any more than was the judge who declared that a child cannot be named Messiah.
  #43534  
Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 PM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,526
When idolatry gets out of hand:

Quote:
Nelson Gibson says his family isn’t allowed to stay for his multi-hour dialysis treatments.

So he found another familiar face to sit beside him: President Trump.

First, the 59-year-old Floridian brought an 8-by-10-inch picture. Then his son Photoshopped a small cardboard cutout of Gibson with his political hero grinning beside him, giving a thumbs-up. It stood on a ledge as Gibson reclined in his shirt embroidered with Trump’s name and his custom shoes bearing the president’s face.

The collection was just a fascination for staff until Tuesday, the family says, when Gibson showed up to his regular appointment in Port St. Lucie with another Trump likeness. This one was life-size.

A social worker told him in the lobby that it had to go, Gibson says....
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #43535  
Old 02-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 28,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
The headline at that link is: His dialysis center won’t allow his life-size Trump cutout, so this man refuses to go.

That'll show 'em! Keep up the good work, Florida Man!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-16-2020 at 10:55 PM.
  #43536  
Old 02-17-2020, 02:45 PM
Mr. Miskatonic's Avatar
Mr. Miskatonic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Under a pile of books
Posts: 6,809
Sen. Tom Cotton is now spreading coronavirus conspiracies.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...eak-tom-cotton

“This virus did not originate in the Wuhan animal market," Cotton said. "Epidemiologists who are widely respected from China who published a study … have demonstrated that several of the original cases did not have any contact with that food market. The virus went into that food market before it came out."
__________________
"When you kill the Morlocks, the Eloi tend to die too"
  #43537  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Steve McQwark is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 388
This isn't a current stupid Republican idea, but it illustrates how far the Republicans have fallen.

I noticed that Clayton Williams died on Friday. For those outside of Texas, or maybe just don't remember, Clayton Williams was a good ol' boy who ran for governor against Ann Richards back in 1990. Williams was leading the polls when a tasteless joke cost him the election. He had invited a bunch of political reporters to his ranch. The weather was cold and rainy and he compared the weather to rape: "If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it."

Think about that for a minute. Thirty years ago a rape joke cost a Republican man an election against a Democratic woman. Now an actual admission of sexual assault doesn't even budge the needle. My how times have changed.
  #43538  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:35 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,919
Fox News cut off one of their contributors when she started talking about Individual 1's and Rush Limbaugh's multiple marriages.
https://politicaltribune.org/fox-new...ated-adultery/
  #43539  
Old 02-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 28,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Smith
Let’s not bring in personal relationships.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-17-2020 at 05:54 PM.
  #43540  
Old 02-17-2020, 07:13 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
This isn't a current stupid Republican idea, but it illustrates how far the Republicans have fallen.

I noticed that Clayton Williams died on Friday. For those outside of Texas, or maybe just don't remember, Clayton Williams was a good ol' boy who ran for governor against Ann Richards back in 1990. Williams was leading the polls when a tasteless joke cost him the election. He had invited a bunch of political reporters to his ranch. The weather was cold and rainy and he compared the weather to rape: "If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it."

Think about that for a minute. Thirty years ago a rape joke cost a Republican man an election against a Democratic woman. Now an actual admission of sexual assault doesn't even budge the needle. My how times have changed.
As nutty as the conspiracy theory might be, I am reluctant to rule that possibility out entirely. To be absolutely clear, I'm still in the camp that believes it's the result of human/animal contact, but I wouldn't put anything past China's government.

It's wrong for Cotton to be talking about it is if the possibility is north of 50% or certain, but it's not wrong to suggest that the possibility needs to be considered until health experts can identify the virus' origins with certainty.
  #43541  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 15,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's wrong for Cotton to be talking about it is if the possibility is north of 50% or certain, but it's not wrong to suggest that the possibility needs to be considered until health experts can identify the virus' origins with certainty.
They've genetically sequenced it -- that's a fairly routine and quick thing to do these days. If it's been manufactured in a bio lab, they could tell from that.

Baseless Conspiracy Theories Claim New Coronavirus Was Bioengineered

No, the coronavirus was not genetically engineered in a Wuhan lab, expert says
  #43542  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 86,779
OK, so it didn't jump the species barrier at that market. So what? That probably just means that it happened at some other market or farm or whatever.
  #43543  
Old 02-18-2020, 12:27 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
...If it's been manufactured in a bio lab, they could tell from that.
Find a chunk of DNA got an "®" on it?
  #43544  
Old 02-18-2020, 01:48 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Find a chunk of DNA got an "®" on it?
Yes, and if you try to sequence it, you get a cease & desist from Disney.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #43545  
Old 02-18-2020, 04:10 AM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,057
I recall someone once tried to trademark a virus – I think it was called "Windows".
  #43546  
Old 02-18-2020, 04:15 AM
Nobody is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I recall someone once tried to trademark a virus – I think it was called "Windows".
Is this you?
__________________
End of Line.
  #43547  
Old 02-18-2020, 09:13 AM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
it's not wrong to suggest that the possibility needs to be considered until health experts can identify the virus' origins with certainty.
I have things in my refrigerator that I can't identify with certainty. That doesn't make it reasonable to suggest that they might have spontaneously materialized out of thin air or been placed there by space aliens.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #43548  
Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
I have things in my refrigerator that I can't identify with certainty. That doesn't make it reasonable to suggest that they might have spontaneously materialized out of thin air or been placed there by space aliens.
Nobody said anything about viruses being created out of thin air or by space aliens; it's possible to bio-engineer viruses, whether it's for "research" purposes or something else.

I hadn't previously read that they had already sequenced it, which would indeed seem to torpedo the manmade hypothesis.
  #43549  
Old 02-18-2020, 11:09 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 15,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I hadn't previously read that they had already sequenced it, which would indeed seem to torpedo the manmade hypothesis.
Thing is, even after the fact was published that it had been sequenced, some conspiracy theorists were saying that the sequence showed proof it had been bio-engineered. They cited that some snippets of the genome had some resemblance to the HIV virus -- overlooking the fact that some snippets of lots of viruses have some resemblance to some snippets of lots of other viruses.
  #43550  
Old 02-19-2020, 01:12 AM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Is this you?
Not gonna say, but the sequence of the chompers is ...
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017