Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 AM

My fears for my country

I'm old now, 80 in a couple of years. I lived in villnius, Lithuania less than two years after the Soviets left. I saw that haunted, hollow look in the eyes of the people. I am so afraid of Trump and his sick ideas. He has been diagnosed by a prominent psychiatrist as a person who is exclusively inward, and with the added characteristic of sadism. That is why he goes after you if you cross him. He has a public reason to ruin your life but down deep he finds joy in it. He also has charm (listen to how he uses his voice) to pull people in. He is of course a liar, whatever brings him what he covets. Hitler was a sicko, but even without instagram he managed to mesmerize millions of Germans and to convince them to allow 6 million people to die in concentration camps because they were mostly Jewish.
there were also homosexuals, and various others he disapproved of. I'm sure he had a name for them just like trump. He has a small vocabulary but uses those words over and over like that revolving turnstile that ruined Dukasis's bid for the white house.

This person says perfectly what happened in Germany and what can happen overnight in the united States. Even if we vote trump out he will start his own White House and try to form his own party. He has already started the takeover. I hope I will be dead, but I fear for my children and grandchildren. He is a vicious, cruel, sick human being without a conscience; he doesn't even know what he is doing is wrong, so you can't talk him out of it. He has already moved the lines to define who can vote where in a large number of states. Did you agree to that? His wife and son don't even live with him. Melenia is trapped, tied to her son.

I was stupid like everyone else. Who in the world ever thought in a million years that the entire senate (minus one) would not convict him of the heinous crimes he has committed? If all those old white men are that afraid of him something is very wrong with what I thought was a safe and controlled government. It turns out it depends on people being honest, ethical and moral. None of which was present.

Please don't reelect him. It is the road to hell and the loss of our dear country. And he will never go away until he dies. His children as we speak are being groomed to take over.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/i...=pocket-newtab
Old 02-10-2020, 05:15 AM

There was a problem with the link.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:50 AM

'Bernie or Bust 2.0!'

[/SARCASM OR SOMETHING]

CMC fnord!
Old 02-11-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contradancer View Post
I'm old now, 80 in a couple of years. I lived in villnius, Lithuania less than two years after the Soviets left. I saw that haunted, hollow look in the eyes of the people. I am so afraid of Trump and his sick ideas. He has been diagnosed by a prominent psychiatrist as a person who is exclusively inward, and with the added characteristic of sadism. That is why he goes after you if you cross him. He has a public reason to ruin your life but down deep he finds joy in it. He also has charm (listen to how he uses his voice) to pull people in. He is of course a liar, whatever brings him what he covets. Hitler was a sicko, but even without instagram he managed to mesmerize millions of Germans and to convince them to allow 6 million people to die in concentration camps because they were mostly Jewish.
there were also homosexuals, and various others he disapproved of. I'm sure he had a name for them just like trump. He has a small vocabulary but uses those words over and over like that revolving turnstile that ruined Dukasis's bid for the white house.

This person says perfectly what happened in Germany and what can happen overnight in the united States. Even if we vote trump out he will start his own White House and try to form his own party. He has already started the takeover. I hope I will be dead, but I fear for my children and grandchildren. He is a vicious, cruel, sick human being without a conscience; he doesn't even know what he is doing is wrong, so you can't talk him out of it. He has already moved the lines to define who can vote where in a large number of states. Did you agree to that? His wife and son don't even live with him. Melenia is trapped, tied to her son.

I was stupid like everyone else. Who in the world ever thought in a million years that the entire senate (minus one) would not convict him of the heinous crimes he has committed? If all those old white men are that afraid of him something is very wrong with what I thought was a safe and controlled government. It turns out it depends on people being honest, ethical and moral. None of which was present.

Please don't reelect him. It is the road to hell and the loss of our dear country. And he will never go away until he dies. His children as we speak are being groomed to take over.

The entire senate did not acquit him: all the GOP senators minus one did, and they're the majority, but keep in mind that 46 senators didn't vote to acquit. And remember that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, so many Americans don't like him.

I agree that Donald Trump has some mental/emotional issues. He's a terrible president. But of bigger concern to me is Mitch McConnell and the Senate GOP's. And an even bigger concern is voters who are, apparently, uninformed and gullible and whose prejudices and hatred mirror the president's.

I hope Trump is not re-elected. If he is, we're screwed in so many ways.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 AM

On a related note, I just saw a video someone posted somewhere where a guy was ranting vehemently about Freedom of Speech and how no one should be arrested for saying words, because blah blah blah. At first I was reluctant to watch the video, because who wants to be subjected to several minutes of a guy shouting (other than, maybe, Lewis Black)? But the poster put forth the impression that I was missing something, so I thought, maybe I can just watch it muted, with captions. The video offered me caption options of “Off” or “Russian (Auto-Generated)”. (The video was in English.)

And so it begins.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 AM

Americans who don't see what is happening to their country remind us of the apocryphal frog who didn't note the water's gradual rise in temperature. Or of the Germans who saw Hitler as a charismatic pro-Christian anti-communist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
'Bernie or Bust 2.0!'

[/SARCASM OR SOMETHING]

CMC fnord!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:30 AM

Old 02-11-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Americans who don't see what is happening to their country remind us of the apocryphal frog who didn't note the water's gradual rise in temperature. Or of the Germans who saw Hitler as a charismatic pro-Christian anti-communist. {...}
But, to torture the example, you don't run Stalin Sanders against Hitler Trump when the electorate really wants Churchill a conservative Republican but will settle for Roosevelt a moderate, liberal, Democrat.

CMC fnord!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:47 AM

Ignorance will kill us.

:: promising never again to pithy-post ::
Old 02-11-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Ignorance will kill us.

:: promising never again to pithy-post ::
Fear not, we all wear our pithy helmets when we read your posts.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
On a related note, I just saw a video someone posted somewhere where a guy was ranting vehemently about Freedom of Speech and how no one should be arrested for saying words, because blah blah blah. At first I was reluctant to watch the video, because who wants to be subjected to several minutes of a guy shouting (other than, maybe, Lewis Black)? But the poster put forth the impression that I was missing something, so I thought, maybe I can just watch it muted, with captions. The video offered me caption options of “Off” or “Russian (Auto-Generated)”. (The video was in English.)

And so it begins.
Sharing.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But, to torture the example, you don't run Stalin Sanders against Hitler Trump when the electorate really wants Churchill a conservative Republican but will settle for Roosevelt a moderate, liberal, Democrat.

CMC fnord!
Your analogy is wrong. Sanders is Roosevelt, not Stalin.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Argumentum ad Nazium always works great when it comes to mobilizing public opinion, as do assertions by shrinks who've never examined the patient*.

*a practice recognized as unethical.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Unethical, perhaps (well, not perhaps. Definitely). But is it accurate?
Old 02-11-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I agree, to normal sane people.

The people that would never pull the lever for Trump on the other hand?
The people that coined the word Hitlery?

To those people, in a race between Stalin and Sanders, Stalin is the lesser of the two, very, evils.

CMC fnord!
Old 02-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Given that the Republiopaths have been systematically trying to dismantle, diminish and/or destroy everything FDR ever did, clearly the man must have been consummate evil. I mean, they have proven that his New Deal prolonged the Great Depression.

Last edited by eschereal; 02-11-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Fear not, we all wear our pithy helmets when we read your posts.
Safari's I can tell - that was meh, to throw some shade on that.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Given that the Republiopaths have been systematically trying to dismantle, diminish and/or destroy everything FDR ever did, clearly the man must have been consummate evil. I mean, they have proven that his New Deal prolonged the Great Depression.
I'm feeling like the anti Rip Van Winkle. (Almost) Everyone has slept for the last forty years and I'm the only one that's been awake and remembers it all.

CMC fnord!
Old 02-13-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Trump worships Putin and Bernie worships Noriega and Castro.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'm feeling like the anti Rip Van Winkle. (Almost) Everyone has slept for the last forty years and I'm the only one that's been awake and remembers it all.

CMC fnord!
Remember that a bunch of everyone else were not even born in the past fifty years. Back in '88, during the election period, an 18~something young woman at work said to me, “Wouldn't it be funny if the First Lady (prospectively Kitty Dukakis at the time) had a drug problem, since, you know, the First Lady's thing is ‘just say no’”. I may have mentioned the Betty Ford Clinic.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:52 PM
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Cite, please. On second thought, you had better provide a cite or I will be pitting you.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 PM

I would suggest everyone here watch this Frontline documentary: America's Great Divide: From Obama to Trump on PBS/Frontline. It rationally explains how we got here, placing blame on both parties' actions, and sadly shows us how history can repeat itself.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Duality View Post
Cite, please. On second thought, you had better provide a cite or I will be pitting you.
margin, the countdown clock is running. In 11 hours I will roast you to a stinking ugly crisp.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Ignorance will kill us.
That too will take longer than you think.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 PM

What we're talking about isn't just an American problem; we're living in an age in which individuals can have disproportionate influence, and an age in which non-living "bots" can have influence just the same.

Democracy requires that people agree on a common "truth," or at minimum, it requires that people accept that if they can't agree right now on what 'the truth' is, that they make an effort cooperate and get there, even if it requires agreeing to disagree.

Modern technology tilts the advantage away from consensus-building and toward clan-building. My fear is that people will experiment away from societies predicated on consensus, cooperation, and sharing, and toward societies governed by tribalism, competition, and removing perceived threats to scarcity.

All of the precursors to the mass slaughter of the early 20th Century are present. What's more, the weaponry we have now makes mass murder even more efficient.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Argumentum ad Nazium always works great when it comes to mobilizing public opinion, as do assertions by shrinks who've never examined the patient*.

*a practice recognized as unethical.
Sometimes logic and facts fail to mobilize public opinion, even when said facts are staring the public in the face. Look at who the current president is. It should not be surprising that analogies with Hitler and the Nazis are not persuasive among many when for many years Hitler himself and the actual Nazis were not perceived as anything out of the ordinary and even admired. One of the fascinating takeaways from this book about William E. Dodd, the first American ambassador to Hitler's Germany, is that it only dawned on him gradually that Hitler's regime was a major threat. Many American politicians at the time were either indifferent to Hitler or openly supportive. Many were also anti-Semitic. And even as Dodd was becoming aware of the Nazi threat, his own daughter, infatuated with the Nazis, was having an affair with Rudolf Diels, the first director of the Gestapo.

As for the ethics of psychoanalysis at a distance, some things are just pretty damn obvious, even if the APA happens to have enacted a rule against commenting on it. Many APA members strongly disagree with the rule and consider such commentary to be a public responsibility. Here are a few things from your own cite that you forgot to mention:
On occasion psychiatrists are asked for an opinion about an individual who is in the light of public attention or who has disclosed information about himself/herself through public media. In such circumstances, a psychiatrist may share with the public his or her expertise about psychiatric issues in general.

The American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA), a different organization from the APA, sent a letter on June 6, 2017, that highlighted differences between the APA and APsaA ethical guidelines, stating that "The American Psychiatric Association's ethical stance on the Goldwater Rule applies to its members only. APsaA does not consider political commentary by its individual members an ethical matter."

Since April 2017, [Yale Medical School professor Bandy X. Lee] has been stating that while she has been an adherent to the Goldwater Rule "for over 20 years," the APA was "violating its own rule" by modifiying it so that it would not be possible to meet its "affirmative obligation." She formed an organization with thousands of other mental health professionals "in opposition to the American Psychiatric Association, which, with the Trump presidency, not only failed to meet the psychiatric profession’s societal responsibility but inhibited individual professionals from doing so."
Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I would suggest everyone here watch this Frontline documentary: America's Great Divide: From Obama to Trump on PBS/Frontline. It rationally explains how we got here, placing blame on both parties' actions, and sadly shows us how history can repeat itself.
I clicked, but didn't then know where to click again. I was presented with the opportunity to click and listen to Steve Bannon, or KellyAnn Conway or Anne Coulter, etc. If that's where I'm supposed to click to learn why "both parties' actions are to blame" then include me out.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:10 AM

I wasn't interested in any "both parties are to blame" bullshit. One party has kept its integrity and still plays by the rules and the spirit of the law. The other has abandoned all principles in its lust for total power.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Duality View Post
margin, the countdown clock is running. In 11 hours I will roast you to a stinking ugly crisp.
Tick-tock?
Old 02-14-2020, 09:02 AM

What people have to realize is that Republics can morph into empires and people can lose their freedom. Rome was a Republic as was Germany. We are not immune. The 2020 elections are a tipping point and will speak volumes about what kind of people we really are.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:26 AM

I used to believe Fukuyama that all nations were moving towards liberal democracy, but now I realize that whenever you introduce the smallest stress into society, people start demanding dictatorship instead.

America has always had to deal with dictatorship in a lot of ways. Jim Crow in the south was a dictatorship for black people.

I suppose the best we can do is create enough checks and balances to make sure that when the inevitable dictators come to power that they can be restricted and voted out of power.

Also there was an argument that once a nation obtains a per capita income of maybe $10,000, that it has a very low chance of transitioning from democracy to dictatorship. But with what has happened in Poland and Venezuela recently I don't think thats true anymore.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 02-14-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I wasn't interested in any "both parties are to blame" bullshit. One party has kept its integrity and still plays by the rules and the spirit of the law. The other has abandoned all principles in its lust for total power.
This is a better, more honest book that doesn't dip into enlightened centrism or 'both parties are the same' BS.

https://www.amazon.com/Authoritarian.../dp/052171124X

Whites who score high in authoritarianism have almost all become republicans, shaping the party into an authoritarian party. In 2016, around 86% of whites who scored high on authoritarianism voted Trump.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:10 AM

The American right has a 250-year history of championing authoritarianism and oligarchy.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I used to believe Fukuyama that all nations were moving towards liberal democracy, but now I realize that whenever you introduce the smallest stress into society, people start demanding dictatorship instead.
You had every reason to believe that as recently as 10-15 years ago. But sweeping changes have caused dislocation, and the elites - people whom we might have regarded as "good", "moderate" conservatives - were not moderate enough when it came down to sharing the fruits of capitalism's successes, which is why we're at where we are now. Even if you're making fairly good bank, a lot of people still realize that costs of living are increasing, and the job market is uncertain. And in some places, capitalism has completely squandered opportunities. People have every right to be angry, to want to hold someone accountable. But they're badly misinformed and blaming the wrong targets.

Quote:
America has always had to deal with dictatorship in a lot of ways. Jim Crow in the south was a dictatorship for black people.
Jim Crow in the South, just like the industrialists power grab in the North, was rooted in a deep love of economic and social inequality. The difference was that Southern society's class differences were defined greatly by the issue of race, which isn't to suggest that racism didn't exist in the North - it clearly did and it had horrific race riots to show for it. The problem with America isn't just the GOP or Trump or Fox News; it's this naive belief that there's equal opportunity under the law, and that our results (our outcomes) are indicative of merit. People with money are increasingly putting their thumbs on the scales so that the average person who's born into poverty will have far less of a chance of gaining entry into the middle class than someone in the same position a generation or two before. America needs to embrace a new set of values.

We need to embrace not just "equal opportunity" under the law but real equal opportunity, and to provide opportunities for those who manage to fall on hard times, as opposed to falling into a virtual state of indentured servitude to America's creditors and financial institutions. And for that reason, I don't know if our constitution, our society can survive, or that it even should in its current form. On the flip side, I honestly don't know how in God's name we could ever assemble a group of people partial enough, intellectual sophisticated enough to produce an enduring framework of principles such as the kind we've had since 1787, flaws aside.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
The American right has a 250-year history of championing authoritarianism and oligarchy.
Agreed, but don't believe that an ascendant left couldn't also flirt with authoritarianism. This is one serious problem I have with Bernie Sanders - maybe not so much the individual but some of those who embrace him. Sanders would never have been taken seriously even 10 years ago, but he's a credible now in the same way Trump is because everyone's angry. People, whether we're individuals or a group, don't generally make constructive decisions when we're angry. Anger is necessary for self-defense and survival. We need to have our empty stomachs and bloated bladders when dealing with the likes of a Trump and his ilk, but once it comes to putting it all back together again, I don't want Bernie Sanders, who basically promises to impose his will on markets, leading that effort. I want someone who governs through consensus and coalition building, not just vowing to shove a radical new system down corporate America's throats.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I clicked, but didn't then know where to click again. I was presented with the opportunity to click and listen to Steve Bannon, or KellyAnn Conway or Anne Coulter, etc. If that's where I'm supposed to click to learn why "both parties' actions are to blame" then include me out.
The two-part series can be found on youtube (search on "Frontline"). It does not necessarily blame anyone (that was a poor phrase choice on my part). It just explains what was going on in the country during Obama's presidency, and how the Republicans oriented around the Tea Party (or got thrown out of government) and collectively stymied Obama's every attempt at compromising. As well as how Donald Trump emerged on the political scene and rode a populist wave to the presidency.

True, it does present characters on both sides of the aisle, including the likes of David Axelrod, Steve Bannon, and Anne Coulter, (and yes, I had to stifle the gag reflex, too) but their interviews are selectively more informational than political (surprisingly). Basically, the show just tries to explain how we got here (without pointing fingers).

Of course, depending on your world view, you can ascribe "blame" in any direction you are inclined. I learned more about the conservative fear fervor to oppose Obama at any cost and what the thinking was there (as misguided as I believe it is). It also highlights the changing dynamics of social media and it's influence. I would really recommend you reconsider and try to watch.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contradancer View Post
...Who in the world ever thought in a million years that the entire senate (minus one) would not convict him of the heinous crimes he has committed? If all those old white men are that afraid of him something is very wrong with what I thought was a safe and controlled government...
The senate and GOP are not afraid of him. This is a party-driven power play using Trump as the means to an end. They are most afraid of losing the money/power gravy train to riches that full absolution from accountability of a fascist state can bring them.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
and how the Republicans oriented around the Tea Party (or got thrown out of government) and collectively stymied Obama's every attempt at compromising. As well as how Donald Trump emerged on the political scene and rode a populist wave to the presidency.
The Republicans have exposed the dangers of political obstruction as a political tactic. Gradually, the Republicans have managed to erode confidence in our institutions, in the government itself, through the use of misinformation and obstruction.

"Nothing ever gets done."

"We keep voting for change, and change never happens."

"They say they're gonna produce a healthcare bill, but all we got was Obamacare."

"All they do is fight and argue."

These are exactly the conclusions that pro-oligarch, pro-kleptocrat Republicans want checked-out voters to come to, and they want more voters to check out so that only the ones who are most motivated, the ones who make direct and explicit connections between their votes and their self-interest, will show up to vote.

Quote:
True, it does present characters on both sides of the aisle, including the likes of David Axelrod, Steve Bannon, and Anne Coulter, (and yes, I had to stifle the gag reflex, too) but their interviews are selectively more informational than political (surprisingly). Basically, the show just tries to explain how we got here (without pointing fingers).

Of course, depending on your world view, you can ascribe "blame" in any direction you are inclined. I learned more about the conservative fear fervor to oppose Obama at any cost and what the thinking was there (as misguided as I believe it is). It also highlights the changing dynamics of social media and it's influence. I would really recommend you reconsider and try to watch.
For far too long, there was a tendency among mainstream media to try to report neutrally, regardless of what the Republican party did. We even see it now, even as Republicans are gas lighting us. There are times to report just the facts, but there are times to interpret facts without reservation and even editorialize, and a lot of the mainstream media missed out on that opportunity as the storm clouds were gathering. Once Trump entered power, the outrageous became the typical. Our senses have been overwhelmed.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:03 PM

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 02-14-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
You don't say.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
and Bernie worships Noriega and Castro.
Granted, this is The Pit... but my I have a cite for this please?
And, if I'm getting, my wish, the cherry on top would be for me to insist that it be from a reputable source and not some fat sweaty ranting maniac who sells clay for pregnant mothers to eat on the side for healthier 'farmer-babies' or is dying a slow and deservedly painful death from lung cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
They are most afraid of losing the money/power gravy train to riches that full absolution from accountability of a fascist state can bring them.
Money just keeps them fat, lazy, and stupid. Money doesn't create loyalty, however. Mobsters knew that; it's why new krew members were required to 'make their bones' so the Fear of prison would keep them in line.
Fear. Fear is the single and only selling point of the GOP.
Why do you need to to look cool by smoking? Fear.
Why do you need more money than 4 generations could spend? Fear.
Why do you need a gun? Fear.

Now what is it that over-rides fear...? What is it that the GOP derides most? Courage and Ethics. (Romney's vote is my cite)
What will make a GOP Mob turn on you faster than saying 'Oy Vey' at a Nuremburg rally? A public display of Courage and Ethics.

I choose the Democratic Party... and I choose it because I have courage and ethics. Also, their product is Hope for the future. Personally, I prefer a life with Hope over a life with Fear, but maybe that's just me.
I prefer to work for candidates who want to make differences in America which both unify us as a people and add hope for us as a country. I'm not afraid of losing my personal time to march in the rain for causes I believe in and candidates who offer America hope. I find that it beats the Hell out of anything thats on TV anyway.
Maybe its how I want to be remembered: working for change instead of wearing out a couch.

YMMV

PS- The OP showed pictures of the ghetto uprising... and we've seen pictures on the news of brave masked men with their AR15s dressed up in their 4XL sized tactical uniforms.
I may not have a degree in history, but may I point something out?

When you were a kid playing RISK, and everyone had 'cards'... did the first person who used them ever win?
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: In the end, who won...?
Shay's Rebellion: In the end, who won...?
Whiskey Rebellion: In the end, who won...?
Nat Turner's slave rebellion: In the end, who won...?
The Taos Revolt: In the end, who won...?
John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry: In the end, who won...?
The Civil War: In the end, who won...?
New York City draft riots ( aka 'Gangs of NY') In the end, who won...?

Just a subtle reminder to the 'Oh Ma Guns, Oh Ma Guns!' crowd that armed insurrection virtually never wins in America.
Oh, and since this is The Pit: Fuck You Trump.
Also, Fuck You Putin (and the horse you rode in on).
Old 02-14-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Granted, this is The Pit... but my I have a cite for this please?
And, if I'm getting, my wish, the cherry on top would be for me to insist that it be from a reputable source and not some fat sweaty ranting maniac who sells clay for pregnant mothers to eat on the side for healthier 'farmer-babies' or is dying a slow and deservedly painful death from lung cancer.

Money just keeps them fat, lazy, and stupid. Money doesn't create loyalty, however. Mobsters knew that; it's why new krew members were required to 'make their bones' so the Fear of prison would keep them in line.
Fear. Fear is the single and only selling point of the GOP.
Why do you need to to look cool by smoking? Fear.
Why do you need more money than 4 generations could spend? Fear.
Why do you need a gun? Fear.

Now what is it that over-rides fear...? What is it that the GOP derides most? Courage and Ethics. (Romney's vote is my cite)
What will make a GOP Mob turn on you faster than saying 'Oy Vey' at a Nuremburg rally? A public display of Courage and Ethics.

I choose the Democratic Party... and I choose it because I have courage and ethics. Also, their product is Hope for the future. Personally, I prefer a life with Hope over a life with Fear, but maybe that's just me.
I prefer to work for candidates who want to make differences in America which both unify us as a people and add hope for us as a country. I'm not afraid of losing my personal time to march in the rain for causes I believe in and candidates who offer America hope. I find that it beats the Hell out of anything thats on TV anyway.
Maybe its how I want to be remembered: working for change instead of wearing out a couch.

YMMV

PS- The OP showed pictures of the ghetto uprising... and we've seen pictures on the news of brave masked men with their AR15s dressed up in their 4XL sized tactical uniforms.
I may not have a degree in history, but may I point something out?

When you were a kid playing RISK, and everyone had 'cards'... did the first person who used them ever win?
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: In the end, who won...?
Shay's Rebellion: In the end, who won...?
Whiskey Rebellion: In the end, who won...?
Nat Turner's slave rebellion: In the end, who won...?
The Taos Revolt: In the end, who won...?
The Civil War: In the end, who won...?
New York City draft riots ( aka 'Gangs of NY') In the end, who won...?

Just a subtle reminder to the 'Oh Ma Guns, Oh Ma Guns!' crowd that armed insurrection virtually never wins in America.
Oh, and since this is The Pit: Fuck You Trump.
Also, Fuck You Putin (and the horse you rode in on).

It's called sarcasm, dude, if you were hoping for a signed mash note that read, "Dear Manuel, I really like you. Do you like me? xxxxxxxxx Bernie."

Still, changing three planes, flying fourteen hours, and listening while a crowd chants they want to kill your countrymen pretty much requires sarcasm.

Sorry for the source; it's some shitty little rag.

Then again, I have somebody pitting me because I said Trump is a hatemonger, which is like objecting to calling whorehouse employees enthusiastically affectionate.

Last edited by margin; 02-14-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Then again, I have somebody pitting me because I said Trump is a hatemonger, which is like objecting to calling whorehouse employees enthusiastically affectionate.
Actually you were pitted for saying that Bernie worships Noriega and Castro, but sure, lie about it. It makes you look good.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Actually you were pitted for saying that Bernie worships Noriega and Castro, but sure, lie about it. It makes you look good.
Yeah, because hyperbole = lies. Because Saint Bernie's incredible gaffes must be judged only according to his fanboy's standards.

You bros really are proving me right. That asshole called me Trump but you little shitstains don't have a problem with that. OH NO A BAD WORD.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bullshit.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Bullshit.
Oh, dear, did someone say something about Bernie that the savior did not endorse first?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Still, changing three planes, flying fourteen hours, and listening while a crowd chants they want to kill your countrymen pretty much requires sarcasm.

Sorry for the source; it's some shitty little rag.

So... 35 Years Ago? Think about that... 35 years... what were You writing 35 years ago and would it pass muster here?

"Dear Mrs. Jones,

On my summer vacation I learned that I like girls who wear shoulder pads and Flock of Seagulls. And I wanna 10mm like Sonny Crockett so I can shoot those funny-speaking Brown people.
They're all drug dealers anyway..."
Old 02-15-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:

I prefer to work for candidates who want to make differences in America which both unify us as a people and add hope for us as a country. I'm not afraid of losing my personal time to march in the rain for causes I believe in and candidates who offer America hope.
I admire and applaud your efforts. If I were still in my 40's or 50's and lived in the U.S. I'd likely be out marching with you.

But I'm less hopeful than you. The Left is too disorganized; it fights among itself, and selects the wrong issues to emphasize. Look at the utter collapse of OWS several years ago.

Quote:
... However let me defend the man I am proud to call my 1st cousin 6x removed! The Civil War became a horrid bloody war, and many in the North thought it should be ended. But Brown's martyrdom inspired many Northerners with a Cause that they pursued with almost religious fervor. It might well be that Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry led to the Emancipation of America's slaves.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
So... 35 Years Ago? Think about that... 35 years... what were You writing 35 years ago and would it pass muster here?

"Dear Mrs. Jones,

On my summer vacation I learned that I like girls who wear shoulder pads and Flock of Seagulls. And I wanna 10mm like Sonny Crockett so I can shoot those funny-speaking Brown people.
They're all drug dealers anyway..."

Pick one standard and stick with it. If his little adventure with Noriega is off limits, then he has to shut up about that one march fifty some years ago.

Which is it?

Bernie Bros call Hillary a Goldwater Girl but neglect to mention she was a sixteen-year-old schoolgirl living with her parents and a private citizen. Bernie's skeezy essays about "Old Bitches" and thirteen-year-olds having sex and babies because "nature" decided that was the right time for it is off limits. He was in his thirties at the time and a deadbeat dad, but again, something thirty five years ago is irrelevant while something fifty odd years ago must be brought up and burnished at every opportunity.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The 2020 elections are a tipping point and will speak volumes about what kind of people we really are.
Or half your country anyway. For me the tipping point was the Senate voting to acquit President Sit On My Yammering, Festering Piehole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
That too will take longer than you think.
ba-dum-dum

Quote:
Also there was an argument that once a nation obtains a per capita income of maybe $10,000, that it has a very low chance of transitioning from democracy to dictatorship. But with what has happened in Poland and Venezuela recently I don't think thats true anymore.
I'm sure we can say the same about a lot more countries than just Poland and Venezuela.

Quote:
I'm not afraid of losing my personal time to march in the rain for causes I believe in and candidates who offer America hope. I find that it beats the Hell out of anything thats on TV anyway.

YMMV.
Uh, yeah: this.

If I lived down there, I would too. More people will need to galvanize themselves into a waaaaaaaaaaay more activist mindset, without question. (Hey - it's your democracy, or what will soon be left of it.)

Quote:
Bernie's skeezy essays about "Old Bitches" and thirteen-year-olds having sex and babies because "nature" decided that was the right time for it is off limits. He was in his thirties at the time and a deadbeat dad...
Woah.
With clothespinned nose I'll look into this.