Old 02-13-2020, 03:26 PM
Suspended

The more I think about I think this is true:

The owners just don't care about the problem as long as the users stay here and the ad money flows in. I don't see any evidence to disprove that.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

We haven't heard anything from the owners, and without that, we can only speculate about their efforts and intentions from the meager clues we have. And speculation is what we're doing. It's like Kremlinology or reading tea leaves.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Well the only thing that matters is after 2 months we don't have a fix. That's not speculation, it's a fact.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:40 PM

Getting the sixty second warning again. Also, what's with the odd, "You have---something-something a post that is not part of the discussion. Please (words to the effect of removing it) and continue." Something like that. This is afyer you hit the quote function.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
... Also, what's with the odd, "You have---something-something a post that is not part of the discussion. Please (words to the effect of removing it) and continue." Something like that. This is afyer you hit the quote function.
That's probably normal. It indicates that you had selected a post to quote, in some thread, maybe some time ago, that is still being referenced. You can include or exclude it when you make your post. If you don't delete it, you will be reminded again the next time you create a post.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 PM

This is the first time I've managed to get here in a while. Constant long waits and time-out errors. I really hope this is not a harbinger of things to come. The SDMB may be a shadow of its former self but I still find it a valuable resource.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
That's probably normal. It indicates that you had selected a post to quote, in some thread, maybe some time ago, that is still being referenced. You can include or exclude it when you make your post. If you don't delete it, you will be reminded again the next time you create a post.

Er....I think you're saying I might have touched on an ancient post that will unleash the locusts should anyone try and use the quote function? But none of the posts have been more than a day or so old, I don't think.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Er....I think you're saying I might have touched on an ancient post that will unleash the locusts should anyone try and use the quote function? But none of the posts have been more than a day or so old, I don't think.
I clicked multiquote on a post from the MSG thread. When I clicked quote on your thread, I get

"You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post. " at the bottom of the post box. If I ignore that note, nothing happens.

(eta, confirmed - nothing happened)

Last edited by Andy L; 02-14-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I clicked multiquote on a post from the MSG thread. When I clicked quote on your thread, I get

"You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post. " at the bottom of the post box. If I ignore that note, nothing happens.

(eta, confirmed - nothing happened)
But when I quote this thread, I still have the note - which will repeat until I either deliberately use the quote from the MSG thread, or deselect it
Old 02-15-2020, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's entirely possible you have run into a vB error, but what you describe sounds like a normal function to me.

When you click on the multi-quote button ("+), the current post is stored for future use. You can repeat this action for more posts. Nothing happens until...

...you initiate a reply, when the saved posts will pop into the edit window.

Now what happens if you store some post(s), then forget about it? Sometime (hours, days -- there is no time limit) in the future, you may begin a reply sequence, perhaps from a different thread. You will be reminded of the posts you forgot about, and given a choice to (1) include them in your new edit, (2) continue to store them, or (3) discard them forever.

Does that describe your situation?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It's entirely possible you have run into a vB error, but what you describe sounds like a normal function to me.

When you click on the multi-quote button ("+), the current post is stored for future use. You can repeat this action for more posts. Nothing happens until...

...you initiate a reply, when the saved posts will pop into the edit window.

Now what happens if you store some post(s), then forget about it? Sometime (hours, days -- there is no time limit) in the future, you may begin a reply sequence, perhaps from a different thread. You will be reminded of the posts you forgot about, and given a choice to (1) include them in your new edit, (2) continue to store them, or (3) discard them forever.

Does that describe your situation?
No, not at all. Perhaps it helps to know that I do almost ALL my websurfing on an Android phone. (Don't judge.) This phenomenon is intermittent. I don't have any posts saved. After how years on the Dope (with absences) I finally got my time zone changed.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:36 PM

You don't have to have deliberately saved them; you just have to have clicked either on multiquote in a post, or on reply to post, and then for whatever reason not to have posted any reply. And it's possible to click like that by accident.

I trigger that message fairly often, as I sometimes start to reply to something and then either think better of it, or decide not to bother; or just get distracted and go do something else and forget about the previous possible reply.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:52 PM

Just to put this out there...
I've been hesitant to update my Firefox, because once when I did that I lost all of my favorites. I bit the bullet and updated it today for the first time in a looong time, and so far the SDMB is loading pages quickly and without error. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Just to put this out there...
I've been hesitant to update my Firefox, because once when I did that I lost all of my favorites. I bit the bullet and updated it today for the first time in a looong time, and so far the SDMB is loading pages quickly and without error. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.
It's been long established that the board has intermittent performance problems, and it has nothing to do with the browser or the client OS. Updating Firefox was probably the right thing to do but it has nothing to do with the problem. The board was actually performing well most of today but I did have some delays and I just got a 504 Gateway Timeout a few seconds ago. This is a long-term ongoing problem.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
It's been long established that the board has intermittent performance problems, and it has nothing to do with the browser or the client OS. Updating Firefox was probably the right thing to do but it has nothing to do with the problem. The board was actually performing well most of today but I did have some delays and I just got a 504 Gateway Timeout a few seconds ago. This is a long-term ongoing problem.
If all this is true, how come I almost never have any of these problems? I have had one ONE 504 in the past five months. And I am here a lot. Am I just lucky or what?
Old 02-16-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
If all this is true, how come I almost never have any of these problems? I have had one ONE 504 in the past five months. And I am here a lot. Am I just lucky or what?
I'll go with "just lucky" and "not on here as much as some of us". The problem is very intermittent and sometimes doesn't show up for days at a time; other times, the site is practically unusable. It often just manifests as a delay in response and only in extreme cases do you get server or gateway timeout errors. There may be a geographic or time of day dependency but as far as anyone has been able to tell it's completely random.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
From what we (most of us) have determined, there are multiple factors involved. If you happen to have one of them minimized, you might not see problems as often. That doesn't mean the system is working perfectly.

I don't seem to get as many errors as others have reported, and while I often observe slowdowns (like ~30 seconds to post), the slowdowns rarely escalate to timeouts. If I'm not watching carefully, I might not spot the slowdowns at all.

It's possible the timeout clock is different for different locations, connections, users, computers, and browsers, so one person may be less affected than another.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
From what we (most of us) have determined, there are multiple factors involved. If you happen to have one of them minimized, you might not see problems as often. That doesn't mean the system is working perfectly.

I don't seem to get as many errors as others have reported, and while I often observe slowdowns (like ~30 seconds to post), the slowdowns rarely escalate to timeouts. If I'm not watching carefully, I might not spot the slowdowns at all.

It's possible the timeout clock is different for different locations, connections, users, computers, and browsers, so one person may be less affected than another.

Thank you for this, this is an extremely useful observation.

Bolding mine.

Last edited by margin; 02-16-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:30 PM

504 Gateway Timeout about 2 minutes ago. And so it goes on.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 PM

I have been experiencing them all along. I just posted to CS, got a Gateway Timeout message but the post went through. Seems to be intermittent. Sometimes I think the problem has been fixed and then it does it again.
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Was able to post, then just sat there twiddling my thumbs....again.....
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

I, too, had some issues today.
Old Today, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
To me I see only 2 possibilities :

They found the problem but don't have the money to fix it.

They are too cheap to hire an expert to find the problem and fix it.
I have read that this message board is running on an ancient vBulletin software with lots of custom hacks. And, you know, the machine is running on hamsters. Maybe there's a shortage of rodentologists in the Chicago area?

Or maybe it's not a money problem at all, but a time and focus problem. As in, "hey guys can you please give this technician root access to the SDMB servers, it's been eight weeks" "sorry haven't had time, I'll grant access as soon as I have the chance"

~Max
Old Today, 05:14 PM

Brand new user here, but I have already seen some random timeouts. Just saying.
Old Today, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram4dell View Post
Brand new user here, but I have already seen some random timeouts. Just saying.
Just got another timeout. Mentioning this just in case the timestamp helps.
Old Today, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram4dell View Post
Just got another timeout. Mentioning this just in case the timestamp helps.
Yeah, I won't post again here. But the timeouts are happening quite often. At least once for every 30 min of browsing. Hopefully this gets fixed.