Old 12-22-2002, 01:01 AM

Reading In Your Sleep??

I once watched a Batman cartoon that had Batman facing the Scarecrow. Well in the cartoon, Batman was put to sleep or something like that and couldn't get out of it and couldn't figure out what was going on until he grabbed a newspaper and tried to read it. When it was all jumbled jimberish, he knew he was in a dream because he said you can't read in your dreams because it is a different part of the brain that controls the reading that controls the dreams. I am sorry to say, but I am almost positive that I have been able to read in my dreams a lot. Was this just something made up for the cartoon for entertainment or is this suppose to be some sort of scientific statment and I'm just an exception??
Old 12-22-2002, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

I would say you are an exception.
Dreams, dream control, and lucid dreaming are a hobby of mine.
(the neat thing about this hobby is, if you fail at it one night, you have the rest of your life to try again)

Anyway, a lucid dream exercise pertains to trying to read. While in a dream state you look at something, turn away, then look at it again (a good object for this task is a clock) if the object changes on the second look, you know you are dreaming. (there is much, much, much more to it than that. This is just a summary).

I've found during my experiments that it is almost impossible to read something while dreaming. HOWEVER.....If reading something is an important part of the dream, part of the "plot" if you will, then I'm sure you remember reading in your dream. The rememberance of dreams has a lot to do with what actually happened in them, though it may not be the same as what actually DID happen. (clear as mud, isn't it?)

Dreams fascinate me. I like this thread.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:58 AM

HighSoci, this is fucking tooo funny. i read the thread title, and thought to myself, "This is about Batman the Animated Series, i'll bet".

anyway, i think it's bullshit. Bruce Wayne's theory seemed to be that the reading part of the brain shuts down, or something, while dreaming. but i know for a fact that i and friend i've talked to have read in dreams.

i suppose i only know for a fact that i have read, but anyway. it's bullshit.

jb
Old 12-22-2002, 02:01 AM
Charter Member

Actually, I've heard the 'reading is controlled in a different part of the brain' thing before, so I remember vividly in one dream where I could read stuff written in Spanish. I've never recalled reading anything in English (my native language).

Maybe the part of your brain that handles foreign languages is closer to the dream center?
Old 12-22-2002, 02:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Previous thread from a couple of years ago: can you read in your dreams? That thread inspired me to read in a dream for the first time.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:00 AM

I was going to ask this exact question after I heard that on Batman. However things cameup and it slipped my mind. How very odd. But it seems to be untrue. I've read things in my dreams.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:27 AM

I've read things in my dreams. Usually comic strips -- the words themselves aren't confused, but the strips are rarely funny in any normal way. Just kinda disconnected, like the dream itself. Also, sometimes I'll be dreaming a story, and I'll see it on the page as if it were typed. Sometimes the only memory I'll have of the name of someone in my dream is the shape of the word on the page.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:57 AM

I sometimes remember reading in my sleep, but it's possible that I just *knew* what I was supposed to read rather than actually reading it.

By the way, my first thought on reading the thread title was "Are they talking about that Batman episode?" I think the villain was the Mad Hatter rather than Scarecrow though.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:27 AM

I read in my dreams occasionally. Sometimes I'll go to sleep reading a book and then dream I'm still reading the book. Only it's my subconcious controlling what's happening in the book. Made for some really weird moments where I've woken up and discovered that the last 4 chapters of the book I've got were made up.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:37 AM

You can't read in your dreams? Oops, no one told my subconscious that.

I heard you can't die in your dreams, but my subconscious put an end to that idea.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:59 AM

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have a buttload of trouble trying to make sense of the time display on my clock radio if I half awaken in the middle of the night.

± : 49 am

no wait...

1 : H9 am

Naah, can't be...

1:49 am

Right. Got it. Oh shit, it'll be five o'clock in another minute, and I've gotta go to work.

I really have to wake up completely to be able to make sense of that damn thing.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:25 AM

I am glad to know that I'm not the only one that has been able to read in their dreams. I have done so many things in my dreams that I was told couldn't happen and was beginning to think maybe my dreams are just all weird anyway. I too have died many times in my dreams and could see people all around me at my funeral but couldn't do anything about it. My wife on the other hand says that she hardly ever dreams, but I find this almost hard to believe because I dream every single time I go to sleep. I think she just can't remember her dreams so therefore doesn't believe she had one.

Another quick question..... Anyone have that dream where you couldn't really see anything or open your eyes all the way up because the sun was too bright?
Old 12-22-2002, 12:21 PM

I've read like signs adn stuff in my dreams. I only remember once as to being so aware it was a dream, I asked someone in my dream if it were a dream, and when she said yes, let's just say I took full advantage of my imagination...
Old 12-22-2002, 12:37 PM

I read short things in dreams all the time. I can't recall reading a book in a dream, but I dream about bookstores and libraries frequently, and the titles on the book spines are all readable. More rarely, I write in my dreams.

I'm not sure why I haven't remember reading books, but that might be because I tend to only remember dreams about ordinary things for a few minutes after I wake up. I read book all the time, so if I read one in a dream it wouldn't be likely to stick out. Come to think of it, the longest thing I can recall reading in a dream is a flyer announcing a contest. I probably wouldn't remember it at all except it was a band that wanted to see and I was later very surprised that what I read was accurate....more than six months before it was announced that very band was going to be playing at our college.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:18 PM

Right before I woke up I dreamt that I was reading something and I made out the first part of the sentence before I woke up.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:27 PM

Heck, I have whole dreams about reading Latin where I wake up periodically to look up a word from the text in my dream in the dictionary!
Old 12-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

heck - am I weird? I read in dreams very very often, and it is sort of annoying becauss if I wake up in the middle of this (dream)story or book that I am really enjoying, then I can't get back to it. I end up feeling as I would if seomone took away a real book from me when I was engrossed in it and nowhere near finished. A sort of "Person from Porlock" problem, I suppose.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:33 PM

I remember reading in my dreams, but when I get really interested in what I'm reading, I can no longer focus where I'm looking, just my peripheral vision works. I think I read somewhere ( while awake ) that thoses parts of your eyes are involved in dreaming.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:53 PM

I had a dream where I was at in an outdoor market in Europe reading from a book at a used book stall. It was a complicated and surreal short story, and I really wish I had written it down the minute I woke up. It was about a surgeon who replaced people's internal organs with animals. So, like, there was a woman who said her heart was heavy, and he replaced her heart with a bird. But I can't remember enough of the details to actually write the story down.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:11 PM

YMMV - but I have difficulty reading anything longer than about a sentence when dreaming. The letters and words are fine, it's just that the sentences don't make sense. I remember reading in general, but when I try to concentrate on the printed word, it changes.

I also cannot dial a phone correctly in my dreams - I keep dialing a wrong number or forget the number halfway through - it's a good indicator for lucid dreaming.

I guess for me, my brain can't concentrate on the dream along with content "outside" the dream.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:40 PM

Another lucid dreamer here, another that dies frequently (and gruesomely sometimes) in dreams, reads in dreams, etc. I dream of typing to my pals in IRC or AIM frequently, generally from my eyes being slightly open and pointed at my alarm clock - seems the numbers confuse my brain into thinking I'm at a computer and typing. I'll actually be making the proper typing motions on my bedsheets, and wake up when the Enter key stops functioning (and I jab it really hard and jab myself in the ribs and the fibromyalgia tells me I just broke a rib or something else). Eheh. Other dreams have basically been similar to me, a book and a chair being the entire existence of ...everything. There is nothing else. Not even a concept of empty space. And I read. What other things are humans not supposed to be able to dream about? The closest "you cannot do this" thing I can have is that I can't disobey the laws of physics. Even when I know it's a dream. No flying dreams thus.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Oh I had forgotten about the "typing in your sleep" dreams - I have had entire internet chat conversations in my dreams - usually a sign to give the PC a rest for a few days, I feel!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:16 PM

There is a "bandwidth" issue. The part of your mind that is "painting" the dream scenery in front of you is slower than the part of your mind that can read.

If I try to read a book, in a dream, at a normal reading speed, I get only gibberish.

But if I *slow down* and give the "picture" some time to "develop," then I get semi-meaningful text.

I've also had the same experience as Dragonblink with comics pages in my dreams. But, again, the mind can "paint" a picture of, say, Popeye and Olive faster than it can "paint" the text in their word-balloons. The bandwidth of information is different, especially since Popeye and Olive can be "iconic" and hinted at from only a few "dream pixels," whereas the dreaming mind doesn't have any algorithm for compressing text.

(I once dreamed a comic strip where Olive was mad at Popeye and Bluto for looking at the girls in a "Men's Magazine." She complained, "What has Miss April got that I haven't got?" Then she opened the fold-out, and said, "Contours!")

Trinopus
Old 12-23-2002, 06:13 PM

That's a good way to put it I guess.

So how about my other question? Has anyone ever had that dream to where they couldn't see very well because the sun was too bright?
Old 12-23-2002, 06:48 PM

I've had several dreams where I was reading from one or more books, mostly nonfiction and on a variety of subjects, in libraries and elsewhere. Every time, the text was not only syntactically and grammatically correct, but was stylistically and content-wise perfectly o.k. or better -- certainly publishable, or so it seemed in my dreams. Some of these books were histories or dealt with other such fields, and were apparently well-researched, footnotes and all. I've never been able to remember the supposed titles or authors, but none of these books seemed to be something I'd encountered in real life. Most of my dream-reading seems to be post-graduate or extracurricular (not many dreams about being back in school and preparing for tests or papers, thank goodness). One of my dreams was of being in a library and perusing about a half-dozen non-fiction books, and feeling a bit guilty that there were still a couple on the bottom of the pile that I just didn't feel I had the time or energy to get into. (And then I woke up.)

I've also dreamed of composing music while sitting at a piano (piano lessons as a kid, but no piano for 20 years now) that was similarly good but unrecognizable as the work of any actual composer. What struck me about my dream music was that my left hand was balancing the right in vigor and tempo with perfect grace and ease, something that I always had to struggle with as a typically resentful (and right-handed) piano student.

I don't believe I meet the definition of "lucid dreamer," though. According to my rough understanding of that term, you're a lucid d'er if you realize you're dreaming in your dream and manage to continue dreaming anyway. Usually when I make that realization, I wake up.

And IRL, I haven't written or composed a thing!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Scrivener
I don't believe I meet the definition of "lucid dreamer," though. According to my rough understanding of that term, you're a lucid d'er if you realize you're dreaming in your dream and manage to continue dreaming anyway.

I have had many dreams like that. One in particular that I can remember is that I was being chased and stalked by a killer. When I was finally trapped by him, I looked at him and said,"This is really just a dream and you can't hurt me so you may as well as leave." He left in my dream and I kept on dreaming the same thing, but now I was like this hero of the dream.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've dreamed in Spanish and had to look up words after I woke up that I don't consciously remember the meaning of.

I also sometimes fall asleep while reading aloud or telling stories to my kids. And I keep going and they don't even know it.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:38 AM

I too have had dreams to where I was speaking in another language that I have no idea how to speak. Of course I never could remember any of the words enough to know if it was actually a real language or just one made up in my dream.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Wow, over 17 years later and I still haven't had a night sleep without dreaming. Since then, I have had dreams where I was laughing so hard that I ended up waking myself laughing and continued to laugh while awake not even knowing what I was laughing about. Also, the same thing with crying. I think a person who studies dreams and sleep would have a field day with me.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Moved to IMHO from General Questions, 18 years later.

Please note this thread is old enough to vote.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 02-10-2020, 03:27 PM

I read in my dreams and I'm a regular lucid dreamer. I had one dream where I couldn't read and it freaked me out so hard that I woke up in a panic. Reading is fundamental to self-identity. Ever since then, I've always noticed when I'm able to read in a dream and I point it out to myself, all smug about it.

Even if reading is in a different part of the brain - it's still all one brain. Your subconscious sees everything, even the stuff it doesn't tell you about.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:05 PM

I can read a paragraph or so in a dream. They rarely make much sense. (They may seem to at the time but once I wake up I realize they are not coherent.) But the odd thing is, while dreaming of reading, as soon as I look away from the page and then look back, the page is totally different; the paragraph I read is something else now. Sometimes words change WHILE I'm reading them - I'm on the next word or phrase and I notice the previous one(s) mutating .
I'm a lucid dreamer generally.

Last edited by misling; 02-10-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:11 PM

Not sure if this is better asked in General Questions ... but I'm not sure there is a firm scientific answer for this either. And there are a lot of people in the thread who dream at night, so I'll go ahead and ask for opinions:

What does the dreaming community say it means if someone never, ever recalls their dreams? Is there a firm scientific explanation? Or is it something that may not even need explaining -- meaning that perhaps it's just an idiosyncratic thing and nothing to be concerned about?

Last edited by bordelond; 02-10-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:21 PM

I know someone who never knows their dreams. She was a chronic opiate user for several years. She thinks that did it. She remembers dreaming as a child.
I dream lucid dreams about books all the time. Sometimes there are understandable sentences sometimes blank pages that I know should say things.
My weirdest one was, My long deceased Mother pointing out something in a book I should see. I never could read it. Kinda freaked me out alittle.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podkayne View Post
I had a dream where I was at in an outdoor market in Europe reading from a book at a used book stall. It was a complicated and surreal short story, and I really wish I had written it down the minute I woke up. It was about a surgeon who replaced people's internal organs with animals. So, like, there was a woman who said her heart was heavy, and he replaced her heart with a bird. But I can't remember enough of the details to actually write the story down.
It wouldn't exist even if it weren't a zombie (at least, unless at some time during the past 18 years Podkayne's written it); but now I want to read that story.

Not in my dreams, though. I don't think I can read in my dreams; and it does indeed feel to me as if the part of me that's dreaming can't read. That part knows that reading is important to me, and I've had dreams in which I've been lucky enough to find rare things that I really want to read -- but something, in the dream, always keeps interfering so that I never quite get the chance to actually read them.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:49 PM

I started lucid dreaming about 5 years ago, I could freeze-frame dreams of art objects and analyze their detail, and be amazed that the best I can create in real life is stick figures. If I would doze off in the daytime, it would fascinate me for maybe 15 seconds for real objects in the room to gradually replace those in the dream scene.

I'm blind, with very narrow field of view, and I also dream without peripheral vision, I have to scan right or left to see peripheral dream details.

Dream lucidity has become better after having a stroke. I once awoke partially and described about a minute of a dream to my wife as I was watching it play.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misling View Post
I can read a paragraph or so in a dream. They rarely make much sense. (They may seem to at the time but once I wake up I realize they are not coherent.) But the odd thing is, while dreaming of reading, as soon as I look away from the page and then look back, the page is totally different; the paragraph I read is something else now. Sometimes words change WHILE I'm reading them - I'm on the next word or phrase and I notice the previous one(s) mutating .
I've experienced the same thing. I've always assumed that it's not so much that the reading centers of our brains aren't active while dreaming, but that reading requires pre-written content.

Think about it, how can you read something that hasn't been written yet? So, when you're trying to read in your dream, your brain is simultaneously trying to come up with the content, causing ever-shifting words and phrases with minimal coherence (if any at all).

Last edited by cmyk; 02-11-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM

My recent experience with reading in my dreams.

But Batman was wrong. I know, he's supposed to be this genius.

Still, I couldn't defeat the Scarecrow, let alone Ra's al Ghul, so I'll shut up now.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I have no idea where this "can't read in dreams" thing comes from. I can read in my dreams. However, the brakes on my cars in my dreams never seem to quite properly work.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I have no idea where this "can't read in dreams" thing comes from.
Probably from those of us who can't, mistakenly thinking that our own experience applies to everybody.

People's minds vary a whole lot more than many people seem to realize.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:34 PM

When Iím reading and doze off, I often dream Iím still reading. Although the plot gets increasingly crazy. When I wake up and continue it is nothing like what I dreamt up.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberdale View Post
When Iím reading and doze off, I often dream Iím still reading. Although the plot gets increasingly crazy. When I wake up and continue it is nothing like what I dreamt up.
Wow! I've been having this sort of thing to happen often in recent times. Usually if I've been up well past my "usual bedtime" (which is getting to be pretty often these days) I will begin to "nod off" without actually falling fully asleep in the middle of something that I would normally be paying full attention to. TV usually, but even reading things on the web, I'll catch myself just before going into real sleep and startle myself back to "awake" just long enough to begin dozing again. Lather, rinse, repeat!

It's weird and messes with what passes for my mind!
Old 02-11-2020, 04:45 PM

Definitely read in my dreams. But after a while it becomes more like attempting to write in my dreams--an active thing--and it fades away or turns to gibberish, or often wakes me up.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Probably from those of us who can't, mistakenly thinking that our own experience applies to everybody.

People's minds vary a whole lot more than many people seem to realize.
Yeah, my father surprised me a few weeks ago asking me if I see color in my dreams. Apparently, he doesn't. Meanwhile, as a male, this may be TMI I've never had the common and what seems to be almost universal experience of "nocturnal emissions." I do very occasional dream about sex, but it never gets that far.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 PM

I once read that most men dream in BW, but nearly all women dream in color. Nowadays, I sometimes watch a TV movie, and can't tell you afterward if it was in color. Sometimes, I can't tell while I'm watching it.

Someone once told me that you never dream about money, and I couldn't then remember having done so. But then I went to sleep that night and dreamed about money, so there. I've done that several times, having contrarian dreams..
Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 PM

Last night I dreamed I had a library book to look something up, about the Falklands War. I could read a whole paragraph with no problem and good comprehension, but the reference sucked. It read like it was written by the society page editor in a small town weekly newspaper.

But heretofore, I never successfully read, the words kept changing. I was inspired last night by this thread, I guess, but did not go to bed thinking about it..

Last edited by jtur88; 02-13-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

This happened once or twice while I was reading aloud to my girlfriend. My mouth didn't notice when my brain suddenly fell asleep, so it kept going on autopilot. But without my eyes being able to read the book, my mouth improvised nonsense without my conscious awareness. Something like

"Ńntonia laughed and squeezed my hand as if to tell me how glad she was I had come. We raced off toward Squaw Creek and did not stop until... way the what them for and..."

This has also happened when I was typing; it was hilarious for my hands to keep going, suddenly veering off the subject into unrelated nonsense. I remember translating a medical report late at night when I suddenly fell asleep and started typing something about a guitar.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misling View Post
The movie "Waking Life" pointed out that you can use this phenomenon (looking at a word or a clock and seeing different results every time) to tell that you're in a dream. Shortly after I watched that movie, I had a dream where I was playing Scrabble (I was playing a lot of Scrabble at the time) and the words kept changing every time I looked at them. And just as the movie said, I was able to turn that into a lucid dream.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

I had a dream recently of that sort. I held a newspaper and realized I could read it and (this is very rare for me) knew that I was dreaming. The way it worked was this: I could read one word in the middle of the page at a time; the rest were blurred and moving. One at a time would form and become legible, and they kept changing as I read. It was pretty amazing.

It happened shortly before I was going to wake up. I was sleeping lighter then and my mind felt more active than usual in dreams... because in reality it was. The trick was keeping the dream going while raising my mind's windowshades. It must have helped that I had a specific focus of attention within the dream. A rapidly shifting series of them.