Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 PM

While the Kanye West meme is getting old, I couldn't resist the urge to post THIS.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Oh, c'mon, Shodan, can't you at least mention that... somebody...got a... something?

This has been a disappointing thread so far, and it'd mean a lot to us all.
Sorry, dude, can't help you.

I am ashamed to say it took me a bit to recognize what my line should be.

Sorry. My daughter got a academic award this morning, and I am in town for my mom and dad's 80th birthday, and I am drinking my dad's bourbon and working on the poem I wrote, so I am just kind of - mellow.

Rush said something stupid. Well, there you go. Can't even work up the desire for a tu qouque.

Maybe when I get back home. Until then, it's all flowers and happy thoughts.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
While the Kanye West meme is getting old, I couldn't resist the urge to post THIS.
Yeah but that's the funniest one I've ever seen. So....randomish
Old 01-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
Check out The Marching Morons by Cyril M. Kornbluth, 1951.
Tried, but gave up after a few pages. There's only so much affected "gangsta" dialect I can stand.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Sorry. My daughter got a academic award this morning, and I am in town for my mom and dad's 80th birthday, and I am drinking my dad's bourbon and working on the poem I wrote, so I am just kind of - mellow.
Well, congratulations to your daughter! Go, proud papa!

And best wishes to your mom and dad. And happy birthday to him.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 AM

There's a scene in In the Line of Fire where the insane John Malkovich character is ranting some depressing, abusive line of hatred into the phone at Clint, and Clint just hangs up on him.

That's kind of my attitude toward Rush. I get in my car at lunchtime, listen to him spewing his depressing, abusive line of hatred for a minute or two, then hit the OFF button. Click. Feels great.

If only more folks would do the same.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 01-16-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Malkkkkkkovich
Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
..Rush said something stupid. ...
But its not just the stupid, we're used to the stupid. This was stupid, vicious, and nauseating, all at the same time, like a pit bull with leprosy.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Senile dementia must be settling in for the old Rush. Does he think that any president would behave differently with the Haiti crisis? Wouldn't McCain have done exactly the same? Wouldn't George W. Bush have done exactly the same? That's just what leaders of first-world countries do as a matter of course for their third-world neighbours following natural disasters. It's not something peculiar to Obama.
You are absolutely correct. And all presidents pander at every opportunity. It's just irritating when the man in the office is at ideological odds with your own views.

I agree with Limbaugh that Haiti is a money pit. The country has problems that earthquake relief will not fix. But you can't seriously suggest that aid not be forthcoming.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Rush said something stupid. Well, there you go. Can't even work up the desire for a tu qouque.

Regards,
Shodan
hijack

Fuckin' a, dude! How awesome!

/hijack

You namby pamby neocon jackeroffer of nastiness.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM

I just hope they don't send Michael J. Fox to Massachusetts this weekend to bait him.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Well, congratulations. That's all good. No worries - I can cover for you this once.

Clinton got a blowjob. Where were all the people who hate Limbaugh for saying helping Haiti is scoring political points then?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother View Post
Not with GWB's zombified dick.
Not even with Ann Coulter's.

If the analogy has already been posted, I withdraw it. The analogy, I mean, not Ms. Coulter's wang.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Quit. giving. him. pub.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

"then hit the OFF button. Click. Feels great.

If only more folks would do the same."

This is the solution to all your problems, grasshopper.

I simply refuse to listen to, or look at, anything by; Glen Beck, Rush, Cheney. Don't care if it's on CNN or BBC. Their nonsense, obvious lies, intentional misinterpretations pushed me over the edge - done. No more. If these are your go to experts, I don't want to hear it, whatever it is. They are just shockjocks looking to stir up controversy/ratings. The world could stand less of that, in my opinion. America a lot less.

I will listen to the position of the right, but not from these boobs. Put them on the tv? CLICK!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Shodan, the poetry writing flower child. Surely, the End Times are upon us....
Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
Do any of you listen to Rush, or do you just read news reports about the show? He specifically said not to try to donate to the White House relief effort. The conversation was based on Obama's desire to eliminate the tax deduction for charitable giving
For the record, this is a right wing lie. Obama proposed no such thing. Limbaugh asserted that we've "already donated" to Haiti via income tax, told people not to give anymore, then denied having said it when called on it.

I think his repeated, inanely race obsessed (typical for Limbaugh -- everything is about race for this moron) comments about Obama only responding to Haiti to pander to minorities are even more offensive and asinine.

Limbaugh:
Quote:
“Everything this president sees is a political opportunity, including Haiti, and he will use it to burnish his credentials with minorities in this country and around the world, and to accuse Republicans of having no compassion,”
The assertions about minorities are so stupid (and revealing about Limbaugh's prism) that they refute themselves, but when has Obama accused Republicans of "having no compassion?" Cite?

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 01-16-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
"then hit the OFF button. Click. Feels great.

If only more folks would do the same."

This is the solution to all your problems, grasshopper.

I simply refuse to listen to, or look at, anything by; Glen Beck, Rush, Cheney. Don't care if it's on CNN or BBC. Their nonsense, obvious lies, intentional misinterpretations pushed me over the edge - done. No more. If these are your go to experts, I don't want to hear it, whatever it is. They are just shockjocks looking to stir up controversy/ratings. The world could stand less of that, in my opinion. America a lot less.

I will listen to the position of the right, but not from these boobs. Put them on the tv? CLICK!
Generally true, but this is a case where he could actually hamper relief efforts in Haiti if his legions of fans are convinced that it's somehow wrong to donate to it.

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 01-16-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:53 PM

I imagine Rush's head would assplode if Obama pledged to match citizens' donations.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:19 PM

I truly hope that reincarnation is a fact and that Limbaugh and Robertson come back together as an everlasting roll of the Devil's toilet paper.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

If they sell all their possessions and devote the rest of thier lives to good works, they may gain enough good karma to come back as intestinal worms.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
If they sell all their possessions and devote the rest of thier lives to good works, they may gain enough good karma to come back as intestinal worms.
When you think about it, being an intestinal worm is a pretty cozy existence. No predators, central heating, no work to do, just gorge yourself on food appearing at regular intervals... Of course, you have to swim in shit all day long, but both Pat and Rush have copious experience with that sort of thing.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
Quit. giving. him. pub.
Maybe if you stop giving us pub, we'd stop talking about him. How's that workin' out for ya?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I would be curious to hear Mr. Limbaugh describe exactly the response from Obama that would be the correct one.

I believe there's a significant risk his head would explode, which (given its mass, density, and the unsavory nature of its contents) I would not care to be near when it happened.

Last edited by Vinyl Turnip; 01-16-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
Quit. giving. him. pub.
Who -- Rush or Shodan?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 AM

My stance on Limbaugh?

1.) His stupid stance on smoking not being bad for your health (or bad for others forced to inhale your nasty putrid smoke).

2.) His mean-spirited name-calling and insults

3.) His annoying habits of pronouncing some words the British way (shhedYule Isssssuuuuus).

4.) The lack of any diplomacy when speaking of things with which he disagrees.

(and much more I can't think of right now).

It all adds up to (as I've said about others like him) ....

YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
Generally true, but this is a case where he could actually hamper relief efforts in Haiti if his legions of fans are convinced that it's somehow wrong to donate to it.
To offer a bit of optimism:

They're probably the type that were looking for an excuse not to donate, anyways. And it's not going to affect most of the richest people: as those that lean conservative likely own a business and would have to help for PR purposes.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
All you conservatives on this board, Shodan, Starving Artist, you know who you are, come in here and defend this pompous sack of shit. Come on I dare you. Go ahead and stand up for this fat bastard.
I'd imagine Shodan and Starving Artist will base a decision on whether to defend Rush Limbaugh in this instance on whether they happen to agree with his comments, not on whether Rush Limbaugh is a fellow conservative.

But where would the idea even come from that you would defend somebody's comments simply because they happen to sit somewhere near you on the political spectrum?

Oh, a liberal.

Last edited by KellyCriterion; 01-17-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanvasShoes View Post
My stance on Limbaugh?

1.) His stupid stance on smoking not being bad for your health (or bad for others forced to inhale your nasty putrid smoke).

2.) His mean-spirited name-calling and insults

3.) His annoying habits of pronouncing some words the British way (shhedYule Isssssuuuuus).

4.) The lack of any diplomacy when speaking of things with which he disagrees.

(and much more I can't think of right now).

It all adds up to (as I've said about others like him) ....

YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!
You forgot the effeminate, "gay" lisping he uses when describing something he thinks is not "manly".
Old 01-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
You forgot the effeminate, "gay" lisping he uses when describing something he thinks is not "manly".
My favorite is the black guy who is authorized to criticize black sacred cows.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 AM

You know Limbaugh was pretty loathsome when GWB has to come out as a voice of reason against him:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_426248.html
Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
But where would the idea even come from that you would defend somebody's comments simply because they happen to sit somewhere near you on the political spectrum?

Oh, a liberal.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! You can't be serious, can you? As much as I feel this comment doesn't even need to be addressed due to its laughability, I'll just point out that the number of liberals on this board who will defend others comment just because of their political stance is about equal to the number of conservatives who will do the same. Which, for a liberal leaning board relative to the rest of America, translates to an immense propensity for conservatives of the board to do this versus liberals. "liberal idea" indeed.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'd imagine Shodan and Starving Artist will base a decision on whether to defend Rush Limbaugh in this instance on whether they happen to agree with his comments, not on whether Rush Limbaugh is a fellow conservative.

Oh, a liberal.
"Never speak ill of another Republican."
-Ronald Reagan
Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know Limbaugh was pretty loathsome when GWB has to come out as a voice of reason against him:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_426248.html
Give it two days; our 43rd President will make a quavering public apology expressing regret that due to liberal media spin, his comments have been taken out of context as criticism of Rush—a great man and leading voice of the Republican party and America, for whom he has nothing but the highest respect. His hands will grip the podium with bone-white knuckles, and small beads of sweat will be visible at his hairline and temples. He will be rushed offstage afterward without taking questions, herded into a nondescript black van, and never seen or heard from again.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
His hands will grip the podium with bone-white knuckles, and small beads of sweat will be visible at his hairline and temples.
Which will in part explain the buzzing noise from the bulging object visible under the back of his suit jacket.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
... He will be rushed offstage afterward without taking questions, herded into a nondescript black van, and never seen or heard from again.
From your lips to the Ears......
Old 01-17-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Where indeed would this idea come from? Why I've never heard of anyone, especially a Republican, defending someone's comments just because they are fellow Republicans. It's never happened in the history of politics. Indeed, it would be SHOCKING, if a Republican did this!

Seriously, it comes down to the "sportification" of politics. You've been taught through sporting events to cheer for your team no matter what. Red Team vs. Blue Team. Media personalities like Rush are simply cheerleaders that let you know what cheers to chant. The vast, vast majority of the population do not know or care about nuanced political positions; they just know which team they are cheering for, and that's all they want to know.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM
BANNED

Rush is the voice and the face of the Republican party. He helps determine policy. When a repub says something bad about Rush, he follows up with a visit and a public apology. The Republican party are cheerleaders for Rush.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
To offer a bit of optimism:

They're probably the type that were looking for an excuse not to donate, anyways.
That fills me with optimism.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
I didn't like his Michael J. Fox comments, either.
What did he say about Michael J. Fox? I hadn't heard anything about this.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
What did he say about Michael J. Fox? I hadn't heard anything about this.
He basically accused Michael J. Fox of faking his Parkinsons.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
He basically accused Michael J. Fox of faking his Parkinsons.
Well, maybe not faking it exactly, but exaggerating its physical effects when speaking publicly. Same difference.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 AM

Gotta give Bush credit where credit is due there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Well, maybe not faking it exactly, but exaggerating its physical effects when speaking publicly. Same difference.
He also mimicked him moving around jerking his limbs, making fun of the way the disease affects Fox. Real nice guy, eh?

Kelly, you must not be all that familiar with Shodan and Starving Artist. But then, what do I know, I'm one of the "Usual Suspects", I believe.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 AM

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I'm gonna respond to this absolute BS that I said don't donate. But, you know, I do not make this program about me. I try very hard not to make this program about me. So if I have time to deal with that, I will. I'm confident everybody in this audience knows what I said and what I didn't say. Even the Washington Post says without the context, "What Limbaugh said is horrible." All I said was, if you paid your income taxes, that's how you donate to government for aid, and sure enough, here comes Obama announcing $100 million from the government for aid to Haiti, fine and dandy. But, you paid for it, it's your taxes. All I said was if you're going to donate do it outside the government, pure and simple. I was attacked, folks, because I am the leading voice of mainstream conservative views, not for any other reason. And this outrage is totally feigned, just as Tony Blankley said, all this outrage at me is totally faked up. They know exactly what I said, and they know for a fact that I would never tell people not to donate to any charitable cause like this, so it is what it is.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: David Brooks today in the New York Times is basically saying what I said yesterday and was attacked for, that giving aid money to countries does not help them grow. Here it is right here in the New York Times, and nobody's mad at them. Do I need to read it? Yeah, let me. "On Oct. 17, 1989, a major earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck the Bay Area in Northern California. Sixty-three people were killed. This week, a major earthquake, also measuring a magnitude of 7.0, struck near Port-au-Prince, Haiti. The Red Cross estimates that between 45,000 and 50,000 people have died. This is not a natural disaster story. This is a poverty story. It's a story about poorly constructed buildings, bad infrastructure and terrible public services. On Thursday, President Obama told the people of Haiti: 'You will not be forsaken; you will not be forgotten.'

If he is going to remain faithful to that vow then he is going to have to use this tragedy as an occasion to rethink our approach to global poverty. He's going to have to acknowledge a few difficult truths. The first of those truths is that we don't know how to use aid to reduce poverty. Over the past few decades, the world has spent trillions of dollars to generate growth in the developing world. The countries that have not received much aid, like China, have seen tremendous growth and tremendous poverty reductions. The countries that have received aid, like Haiti, have not." Oh, my gosh, this is deja vu, except I'm the one that said it. Using our own war on poverty, how much money have we given to the poor in this country, and we still have the same percentages of poor people -- and we're never supposed to examine the results, right? Only the good intentions of the givers!

And, of course, the givers are us. Our back pockets are looted by our own government, and the money is redistributed -- and as Mr. Brooks is saying here, there is no upside to this. "In the recent anthology 'What Works in Development?,' a group of economists try to sort out what we've learned. The picture is grim. There are no policy levers that consistently correlate to increased growth. There is nearly zero correlation between how a developing economy does one decade and how it does the next. There is no consistently proven way to reduce corruption. Even improving governing institutions doesn't seem to produce the expected results. ... . More than 10,000 organizations perform missions of this sort in Haiti. ...

"The second hard truth is that micro-aid is vital but insufficient. Given the failures of macrodevelopment, aid organizations often focus on microprojects. So we have "more than 10,000 organizations performing missions of this sort in Haiti." It's exactly what I said: We've got charities on the ground 24/7, 365 in Haiti. By some estimates, Haiti has more nongovernmental organizations per capita than any other place on earth. They are doing the Lord's work, especially these days, but even a blizzard of these efforts does not seem to add up to comprehensive change. Third, it is time to put the thorny issue of culture at the center of efforts to tackle global poverty. Why is Haiti so poor? Well, it has a history of oppression, slavery and colonialism." Yeeeees, all the things we pointed out this week: Dictatorships! "But so does Barbados, and Barbados is doing pretty well.

"Haiti has endured ruthless dictators, corruption and foreign invasions. But so has the Dominican Republic, and the D.R. is in much better shape. Haiti and the Dominican Republic share the same island and the same basic environment, yet the border between the two societies offers one of the starkest contrasts on earth -- with trees and progress on one side, and deforestation and poverty and early death on the other. "As Lawrence E. Harrison explained in his book 'The Central Liberal Truth,' Haiti, like most of the world's poorest nations, suffers from a complex web of progress-resistant cultural influences. There is the influence of the voodoo religion, which spreads the message that life is capricious and planning futile. There are high levels of social mistrust. Responsibility is often not internalized."

"Child-rearing practices often involve neglect in the early years and harsh retribution when kids hit 9 or 10. ... In this country, we first tried to tackle poverty by throwing money at it, just as we did abroad. Then we tried microcommunity efforts, just as we did abroad. But the programs that really work involve intrusive paternalism. These programs, like the Harlem Children's Zone and the No Excuses schools, are led by people who figure they don't understand all the factors that have contributed to poverty, but they don't care. They are going to replace parts of the local culture with a highly demanding, highly intensive culture of achievement -- involving everything from new child-rearing practices to stricter schools to better job performance," and none of these programs are sponsored by government and certainly not by liberal government.

So the things that end poverty are cultural, and they start bottom-up, and they're done by citizens and real people who can't take it anymore. Throwing money at it accomplishes nothing! It's been demonstrated all across the world, but most near to us it's been demonstrated in Haiti. I mention all this as a rebuttal to all of the feigned outrage at me, the lying note that I urged people not to give to charity for Haiti. Nobody in their right mind would ever believe that about me or anybody else, for that matter. However, I did say find some way to do it other than giving it to Obama, 'cause I know he's going to eliminate the charitable deduction. He wants to wipe out individual charitable giving. He wants the government to be the go-to person for all charities. That's the only reason you wipe out the deduction for charitable contributions.

END TRANSCRIPT
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM

BTW, when our bills are paid this week, we are emptying our checking account to give. I expect Rush has probably given 6 figures or more and will not make it public.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM

I bet it was 7 figures. Maybe 8. He is just that much of a hell of a guy.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
For the record, this is a right wing lie. Obama proposed no such thing.
Yes he did.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032503103.html
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Your own citation says "Under Obama's proposal, the tax deduction for those with incomes over $250,000 -- which is now 35 cents for each dollar donated -- would be limited to 28 percent. That would return the rate to where it was during President Ronald Reagan's administration."

That's not eliminating it. Limbaugh's quoted as saying Obama would eliminate it. Limbaugh's either deliberately lying or speaking in ignorance.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Maybe I ought to clarify that. Rush's statements are to be read with the understanding that he frequently discussed the incrementalist approach of progressives into various facets of society. So, while it's true that Obama has yet to propose the total elimination of charitable contribution tax deductions, this should be predicated with the assumption that this first proposal is merely the first step toward the final goal.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
Maybe I ought to clarify that. Rush's statements are to be read with the understanding that he frequently discussed the incrementalist approach of progressives into various facets of society. So, while it's true that Obama has yet to propose the total elimination of charitable contribution tax deductions, this should be predicated with the assumption that this first proposal is merely the first step toward the final goal.
There's a name for that.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM

When I think of Rush Limbaugh these days, (and Glenn Beck), he doesn't even take 'human form' in my mind's eye. I literally see a cartoon/caricature of him when someone brings him up. Some of these people I think are truly mental. Howard Beale sick.

Either they are 'mental', or they just know that saying stupid shit gets them attention, and thus, makes them more successful