Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
Maybe I ought to clarify that.
No need. I can see what Limbaugh said, and I can see that your own citation contradicts his statement.

Quote:
Rush's statements are to be read with the understanding that he frequently discussed the incrementalist approach of progressives into various facets of society. So, while it's true that Obama has yet to propose the total elimination of charitable contribution tax deductions, this should be predicated with the assumption that this first proposal is merely the first step toward the final goal.
Because one of Rush Limbaugh's defenders says so? Not a chance.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Read your own cite, dipshit. Obama proposed capping deductions for the top bracket, not eliminating anything.

Also Limbaugh is a liar. He did say not to donate, and no one is being asked to donate "through the government" anyway. All the Whitehouse did was put a link to Red Cross site on its website. Obama is not collecting money or information, so that whole objection is smoke.

I think it's also pretty funny how in your quoted transcript, Limbaugh (falsely) denies having told people not to donate to Haiti, then goes off on a long diatribe about why people should not donate to Haiti.

Has this pig ever expressed one ounce of empathy or compassion for the people of Haiti? Probably not, since they're black.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe I ought to clarify that. Rush's statements are to be read with the understanding that he frequently discussed the incrementalist approach of progressives into various facets of society. So, while it's true that Obama has yet to propose the total elimination of charitable contribution tax deductions, this should be predicated with the assumption that this first proposal is merely the first step toward the final goal.
This is called "making things up."
Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: We're going to start in Raleigh, North Carolina. Justin you're first today. Great to have you with us.

CALLER: Mega Rush Baby dittos. My question is, why did Obama in the sound bite you played earlier, when he's talking about if you wanted to donate some money, you can go to WhiteHouse.gov --

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: -- to direct you how to do so. If I want to donate money to the Red Cross, why do I need to go to the WhiteHouse.gov page and --

RUSH: Exactly. Would you trust that the money is going to go to Haiti?

CALLER: No.

RUSH: Would you trust that your name is going to end up on a mailing list for the Obama people to start asking you for campaign donations for him and other causes.

CALLER: Absolutely.

RUSH: Absolutely right.
The page at whitehouse.gov had a link to the Red Cross site (I checked). There was no attempt to divert any funds to the government, or collect any names at the White House site. Just a link*. Limbaugh is an idiot.

* The link has since been changed from the Red Cross to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. Still just a link.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 AM

From Rafe's own quoted transcript:
Quote:
But, you know, I do not make this program about me. I try very hard not to make this program about me

I was attacked, folks, because I am the leading voice of mainstream conservative views, not for any other reason.

I mention all this as a rebuttal to all of the feigned outrage at me,...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
Read your own cite, dipshit. Obama proposed capping deductions for the top bracket, not eliminating anything.
I did address this.

Quote:

Also Limbaugh is a liar. He did say not to donate, and no one is being asked to donate "through the government" anyway. All the Whitehouse did was put a link to Red Cross site on its website. Obama is not collecting money or information, so that whole objection is smoke.
We are all donating "through the government" in the aid being sent there.

Quote:
I think it's also pretty funny how in your quoted transcript, Limbaugh (falsely) denies having told people not to donate to Haiti, then goes off on a long diatribe about why people should not donate to Haiti.
That long diatribe was from David Brooks. Rush was reading it to demonstrate how he was ripped open for saying similar things, but nary a word was spoken about Brooks saying it.

Quote:
Has this pig ever expressed one ounce of empathy or compassion for the people of Haiti? Probably not, since they're black.
You obviously don't listen to Rush. Obviously.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I did address this.
Yes, and we addressed your addressing it. The ball is still in your court.

Quote:
That long diatribe was from David Brooks. Rush was reading it to demonstrate how he was ripped open for saying similar things, but nary a word was spoken about Brooks saying it.
So the content of the diatribe was beside the point; it was just an illustration of how Rush is singled out for scorn.

That's a strange topic for a guy who tries so hard not to make the show about himself, but who are we to question his wisdom.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Oh, c'mon, Shodan, can't you at least mention that... somebody...got a... something?

This has been a disappointing thread so far, and it'd mean a lot to us all.
I'm not Shodan, but perhaps I can help.

George H.W. Bush got a blowjob from Barbara Bush.

Queue jokes about GWB being the load she should've swallowed.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe I ought to clarify that. Rush's statements are to be read with the understanding that he frequently discussed the incrementalist approach of progressives into various facets of society. So, while it's true that Obama has yet to propose the total elimination of charitable contribution tax deductions, this should be predicated with the assumption that this first proposal is merely the first step toward the final goal.
"Obama has proposed a policy which may lead to X" =/= "Obama proposed X".

Rush was lying - even if one accepts your desperate flailing about incrementalism.
Quote:
I notice you didn't bother to link to or quote the transcript of Rush's original commentary; just to his reinterpretation of it.
Quote:
Quote:
Meaning that if he had, he could read between the lines. 'Cause, you know, everything Rush says should be taken in light of his oft-mentioned deep abiding love for black people, right?

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 01-18-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Take that bone out of your nose and answer again.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM

First of all, I'm getting a little tired of hearing who my leader is. Apparently it isn't President Bush in this case - since he is leading fundraising efforts for Haiti. Can't be my church - they are ahead of this as well.

In the future, when my church or President Bush can be usefully linked to something unpopular, I'm sure I will be accused of being in lockstep with both.

By the way, President Clinton is the UN Special Envoy for Haiti - and took some time in the last few days to campaign for Martha Coakley. He was confronted about this by a National Review reporter, and responded that "It’s your problem if you can’t see how these things aren’t mutually exclusive." He went on to explain that a Coakley victory could help the rebuilding effort - how this could happen wasn't explained.

Link.

No criticism here - just the same observation noted above. Politicians and commentators will spin any event. This is what they do. And whether you buy into it is your deal. Personally I'm happy Bush is raising money for Haiti (and Clinton as well) and I am unconvinced by Limbaugh.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Let's wait for our crackpot apologists to speak for themselves.

.....[chirp]...........
What you've clearly demonstrated is that there are no crackpot apologists here.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Meager View Post
What you've clearly demonstrated is that there are no crackpot apologists here.
There are...just not among the "Usual Suspects", for a change, which I must admit to being pleasantly surprised it.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Anyone who doesn't agree with them is a "crackpot apologist".
Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't think his apologists are crackpots. I think they're sane and vile.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Flattery will get you nowhere.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 PM

I wasn't making a funny or trying to flatter you.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 PM

Yep. I know.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Can we wrap this all up with a hug, then?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Sure thing, Jack. As long as we can all agree to the blanket assertion that people who listen to Rush are Republican idiots who sympathize with his heartless, racist, idiotic tendencies.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM

I'm good with that. Wrap your meat-hooks around me, big-guy.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM

I knew we could find some common ground.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Every now and then someone will throw you a bone. Unfortunately, from Limbaugh listeners the bones tend to be mucus-coated.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I believe the pattern is, ignore it and say nothing when he says something offensive and/or stupid, and quote him when you agree with him. Using this plan conservatives won't ever have to dump him, no matter what he says or does.
Harry Reid.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Harry Reid.
Is what Harry Reid said wrong? Did he in fact say anything offensive? Or is this just a stupid deflection?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Harry Reid.
What did Harry Reid say that offended you?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
What did Harry Reid say that offended you?
I'll bet he doesn't even know what Harry Reid said. I bet he just heard on FOX that he said something racist and it's not fair because Trent Lott got kicked out for the same thing.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Anybody who talks for a living eventually says something stupid. Rush said something stupid. It isn't the first time; it won't be the last.

Rush Limbaugh doesn't speak for me, even when I agree with him. I don't agree with him this time, but that doesn't matter either.

People say stupid shit sometimes. I do it, Rush does it, certainly the other side is not exempt. It happens. I don't care to defend anyone unless I think they're right.
I agree with Shodan. (Wow, I can type that. Who knew?)

It's no more the responsibility of SDMB conservatives to spontaneously condemn rush than it is the responsibility of liberals to be vocally and publically outraged and repentant whenever a liberal public figure says something stupid, which certainly happens with some regularity. As far as I know, there is no SDMB conservative who is a vocal supporter of Rush Limbaugh. If there were, it might be interesting to get that person's perspective, but even so, it's entirely reasonable for that person to continue to support Rush without considering him infallible. (Well, obviously it's not reasonable to support Rush in the first place, but if it WERE... )

I do have one comment to offer, though, which is that you can learn something by looking at the KIND of stupid things people say, and the context. People don't just say totally random stuff out of nowhere... they usually say things that run along the lines of what they're thinking, but phrase them poorly so that the implications aren't what they intended. For instance, back when the Henry Louis Gates thing happened and Obama's initial response was that the cop had acted stupidly, I'm pretty sure that Obama, deep down, was pretty sure that the cop had acted stupidly, but would normally not have come right out and said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Moto
By the way, President Clinton is the UN Special Envoy for Haiti - and took some time in the last few days to campaign for Martha Coakley. He was confronted about this by a National Review reporter, and responded that "It’s your problem if you can’t see how these things aren’t mutually exclusive." He went on to explain that a Coakley victory could help the rebuilding effort - how this could happen wasn't explained.

Link.
This is really quite slimey. Bad Bill Clinton!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
BANNED

It could help the rebuilding effort because the Republicans are likely to reflexively oppose anything and everything Obama wants to do there just because he's Obama. The urgency of the matter means nothing. Rush Limbaugh calls the shots in that party, and if Rush Limbaugh doesn't want to help the Haitians, then the Republicans will vigorously filibuster any attempt to help the Haitians, and any Republican who falters or shows compassion will eventually be forced to lie prostrate before the Fat Lord and beg his forgiveness.

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 01-20-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
It could help the rebuilding effort because the Republicans are likely to reflexively oppose anything and everything Obama wants to do there just because he's Obama. The urgency of the matter means nothing. Rush Limbaugh calls the shots in that party, and if Rush Limbaugh doesn't want to help the Haitians, then the Republicans will vigorously filibuster any attempt to help the Haitians, and any Republican who falters or shows compassion will eventually be forced to lie prostrate before the Fat Lord and beg his forgiveness.
You really think the Republicans will fillibuster relief for Haiti? Really?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
BANNED

If Rush Limbaugh wants them to do it, they will do it.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Republicans will filibuster a bill that will lower the deficit and address 45,000 needless American deaths every year.

They would try to spin it as something about targeting aid, but make no mistake, destroying Obama is job one. Job 2 is helping America.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I could see them do that, if they thought it would somehow make Obama look bad.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
Republicans will filibuster a bill that will lower the deficit and address 45,000 needless American deaths every year.

They would try to spin it as something about targeting aid, but make no mistake, destroying Obama is job one. Job 2 is helping America.
Bullshit. Job 2 is helping people & corporations who will donate big bucks for election campaigns.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otternell View Post
It would be so wonderful if there was a way to imprison Rush and Pat Robertson together - kinda like in the Superman movie with that plate of glass rotating through space forever.

Or in 1984 "boot stamping on the face of humanity forever" - if it was my boot and either of their faces, it would be a grape stomping festival!
I'd be up for that

Faces filled with joy and cheer
What a magical time of year
Howdy ho, it's Weasel Stomping Day

Put your viking helmet on
Spread that mayonnaise on the lawn
Don't you know it's Weasel Stomping Day
(Weasel Stomping Day)

All the little girls and boys
Love that wonderful crunching noise
You'll know what this day's about
When you stomp a weasel's guts right out

So come along and have a laugh
Snap their weaselly spines in half
Grab your boots and stomp your cares away
Hip hip hooray, it's Weasel Stomping Day
Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
BANNED

The article says:

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh is not backing down from his claim that President Barack Obama is trying to score political points off the earthquake in Haiti.

Challenged by a caller during his show Thursday, Limbaugh said: “If I said it, I meant to say it, and I do believe that everything is political to this president.”

“Everything this president sees is a political opportunity, including Haiti, and he will use it to burnish his credentials with minorities in this country and around the world, and to accuse Republicans of having no compassion,” Limbaugh said in comments flagged by the liberal blog Think Progress.

Limbaugh has come under fire from both the right and the left for saying that the earthquake played directly into Obama’s hands, allowing him to look “compassionate.”
Limbaugh is exactly on target with this. Obama is playing it for political points.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 PM

Sounds like drivel to me. Perhaps you're mistaken.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
The article says:

Limbaugh is exactly on target with this. Obama is playing it for political points.
Uh what would you have had him do differently?
Old 01-22-2010, 02:35 PM

Apparently the window as per Republicans for appropriate reactions to anything is two days. One day, he's currying (there's that foreign influence again, tsk tsk) favour; three days, he doesn't care about the American people.

Or maybe, and mind you this is just a thought, Limbaugh will whine and cry about Obama no matter what he does because Obama's a Democrat and Limbaugh's job is to poison the public discourse by catapulting propaganda for Republicans.

Weird, I know.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The article says:
Whereas a Republican leader would never do that? Or would you simply say that all politicians must by necessity keep politics in mind at all times?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's hardly a surprise that you're squarely in the crosshairs of Limbaugh's knucklehead demographic, but your eagerness to admit it just makes me sad for you. I don't want to be sad for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Can we get a cite from Obama accusing Republicans of lacking compassion please ?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The article says:

Perhaps you could explain how you came ti such an unsupportable position? Is he doing something new and different?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
“Everything this president sees is a political opportunity, including Haiti, and he will use it to burnish his credentials with minorities in this country and around the world, and to accuse Republicans of having no compassion,” Limbaugh said in comments flagged by the liberal blog Think Progress.
Quote:
If there are political points to be made from this, why didn't Rush beat the president to the punch? The quake was on a Tuesday evening. Rush could have been on his show the very next day calling for donations and assistance. He could have burnished his credentials with minorities in this country. He could have deflected accusations that Republicans have no compassion by calling on them to show their compassion.

Instead of competing to have a better idea, he attacks the person.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Rushbo likes to pitch himself to that breed of conservative that most prides themselves on being hard-headed and realistic. They scorn the soft, emotional liberal as an effete do-gooder at best, or as the cynical manipulator who preys upon such weaklings.

Hes much more about a mindset than an agenda.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:01 PM

With the announcement that Rush Limbaugh has lung cancer, I am bumping this thread in case anyone wants to say anything negative about him--instead of doing so in the breaking news thread.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=889501

Last edited by PastTense; 02-03-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:08 PM

I have disliked this shithead since he first started broadcasting nationally and I will not be sorry to see him go. This world will be a slightly better place without him in it. Fuck him and his stupid, stupid supporters.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:12 PM

As I said in the other thread, I wish him just as much sympathy as he showed others who were suffering.

I don't wish harm or pain on him. I just refuse to act sympathetic for someone who spewed such hate.The world will be ever so slightly better without him in it.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I have disliked this shithead since he first started broadcasting nationally and I will not be sorry to see him go. This world will be a slightly better place without him in it. Fuck him and his stupid, stupid supporters.
I can't disagree with you more. The world will be a substantially better place without him in it.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:49 PM

Last spring, one of my uncles died. In June, my mother died. In December, one of my aunts and my mother's stepfather died. And as a little grace note, a few weeks ago Neal Peart died!

So fuck Rush Limbaugh. It's about time bad things started happening to bad people.