Old 02-03-2020, 06:01 PM

I can't believe he has a pit thread only three pages long.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Well it has been 10 years since it was last active. More pressing idiots to be concerned with in the intervening years.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:18 PM

So unfortunate...

that I don't have him in my list for the 2020 SDMB Celebrity Death Poll.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I have disliked this shithead since he first started broadcasting nationally and I will not be sorry to see him go. This world will be a slightly better place without him in it. Fuck him and his stupid, stupid supporters.
I hated Limbaugh before it was cool to hate Limbaugh. My dad listened to him on KFBK (Sacramento) for literally as long as I can remember. Even when I was 6 I somehow knew something was wrong with the man--it didn't make sense for someone to be that angry and hateful all the time. I also didn't understand why anyone would want to listen to an angry man on the radio all the time. He was also incredibly repetitious. I would have been bored of the content no matter what but aside from that I could tell he was just saying the same exact things day after day. Even today my parents repeat the same stupid, mean-spirited jokes he was making back then about Rio Linda (Sac suburb).

I assumed then that it was just one of those weird things that adults do. But as an adult I realized that 6-year-old me had the right idea all along; that he was an intellectually deficient piece of shit and there's something wrong with wanting to even listen to that all the time.

I don't know if he poisoned my dad with his rantings or if poisoned people are just attracted to that stuff, but I don't much care at this point.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:37 PM

I was going to bump one of the pit threads about Shodan. What a fucking troll. Of course he knows that people hate Rush so he makes a thread where he hopes people will get warnings for writing their honest reactions to the news.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:39 PM

I hope that he survives the trump administration so that he doesn't get a state funeral or something. Also, while not a Bernie fan it would be kind of sweet if he lived to see Bernie elected president.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:39 PM

I think I first encountered Limbaugh in 88, 89. My dad and I were taking a road trip across Iowa. My dad was scanning stations on the radio and landed on Limbaugh. My dad was a pretty typical blue collar guy: 8th grade education, years of working a union job, socially pretty conservative, devout Catholic. We listened a while. My dad said, "This guy's a radical" and changed the station.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:43 PM

I wouldn't cross the road to piss on him if he was on fire.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
I would, but only to have an excuse to piss on him. I wouldn't piss on him quite enough to put the fire out.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I hope that he survives the trump administration so that he doesn't get a state funeral or something. Also, while not a Bernie fan it would be kind of sweet if he lived to see Bernie elected president.
Better yet, Elizabeth Warren and either Booker or Castro as VP.

Maybe we can get him with an aneurysm, first.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
As I said in the other thread, I wish him just as much sympathy as he showed others who were suffering.

I don't wish harm or pain on him. I just refuse to act sympathetic for someone who spewed such hate.The world will be ever so slightly better without him in it.
Here, allow me. Suffer, you insufferable motherfucker. Die a prolonged and agonizing death. One down; so many to go.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Well it has been 10 years since it was last active.
Where is that JoeBuck20?!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:26 PM

I hope the thoughts and prayers work exactly as well in curing his cancer as they are in preventing mass shootings.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I think I first encountered Limbaugh in 88, 89. My dad and I were taking a road trip across Iowa. My dad was scanning stations on the radio and landed on Limbaugh. My dad was a pretty typical blue collar guy: 8th grade education, years of working a union job, socially pretty conservative, devout Catholic. We listened a while. My dad said, "This guy's a radical" and changed the station.
Must be nice.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
I was going to bump one of the pit threads about Shodan. What a fucking troll. Of course he knows that people hate Rush so he makes a thread where he hopes people will get warnings for writing their honest reactions to the news.
Fuck Rush Limbaugh, and fuck Shodan. And even though cancer took my father, just this once: Hooray, cancer! Fuckin A! You're like the blind fucking squirrel! Make it fucking hurt, OK cancer? (You kind of owe me one after my Dad and everything.)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:49 PM

I will be magnanimous and quote the words of John Donne that.. "Any man's death diminishes me". However:

(1). The diminishment in this case will me tiny; minute; Lilliputian; miniscule; indeed, electron-microscopic in scope.

(2) John Donne never met Rush Limbaugh.

Press on.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm reminded of an old (as in, a version was probably told in the Spartan military) joke:

Drill Sergeant: I bet you hate my guts. I bet you're waiting for me to die so you can piss on my grave.
Recruit: No, sir.
Drill Sergeant: No? Why not?
Recruit: Because after I get out of the army, I never want to stand in line again.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
I hope the thoughts and prayers work exactly as well in curing his cancer as they are in preventing mass shootings.
they will
Old 02-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
I would, but only to have an excuse to piss on him. I wouldn't piss on him quite enough to put the fire out.
At last! My lousy aim can be put to use.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
I will be magnanimous and quote the words of John Donne that.. "Any man's death diminishes me". However:

(1). The diminishment in this case will me tiny; minute; Lilliputian; miniscule; indeed, electron-microscopic in scope.

(2) John Donne never met Rush Limbaugh.

Press on.
I never liked that pablum quote. Subtracting a negative is the same as adding to the human race. That's the opposite of diminishment.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

I always look if the one suffering or dying had a hand or supported efforts that ended causing the death of other human beings. As an example I found recently that Rush also praised Trump a lot for his asinine "remain in Mexico" policy.

https://www.lawg.org/remaininmx/
Quote:
Why is everything about the “Migration Protection Protocols” (MPP) aka “Remain in Mexico” illegal?

Remain in Mexico breaks U.S. law by ignoring legislation passed by Congress on the process asylum seekers must undergo at the border, violating asylum seekers’ rights to due process. And it goes against individual’s rights not to be returned to danger, or what is called “the right to non-refoulement,” under international law.

Why is it so dangerous and illogical to return asylum seekers to Mexico?

Two young Hondurans traveling with the migrant exodus were killed in Tijuana last year. And their deaths were just two of over 2,500 in 2018—the highest homicide rate ever registered in the city. Across Mexico’s northern border states, the very areas asylum seekers would be returned to, migrants face high rates of kidnapping, disappearances, extortion, and sexual and gender-based violence at the hands of organized crime and Mexican migration and law enforcement, often acting in collusion. Yet cases lodged for these crimes against migrants are almost never investigated or prosecuted, at 99 percent impunity. Forcing migrants to wait in Mexico would likely increase their exposure to even more of these risks and human rights violations.
Ah, Rush, be fruitful and multiply yourself...
Old 02-03-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Oh, I would. He doesn't even need to be on fire.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
At last! My lousy aim can be put to use.
With my prostate, I could dribble on him, but I'd have to get too close.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:43 AM

Having just seen this thread for the first time now, I reviewed some of the earlier posts from Page 1. In light of what we know now... How sadly erroneous some were. How sadly prophetic some others were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
. . . If Limbaugh continues putting his foot in his mouth I think he will finally jump the shark amongst the republican base just like he already has with rational people. There's only so much idiocy the medium-right can take after all.
How sadly erroneous that prediction has turned out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
His modus operandi is to say something totally outrageous, and then when called on it, deny, deny, obfuscate, and lie. Then he blames the "left-leaning media", and accuses them of trying to smear him, and plays the "pity me" card. And his audience laps it up and repeats his lies.
How sadly prescient that has proved to be. Now the Repubs are ALL doing it -- the Repub-in-Chief most of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Senile dementia must be settling in for the old Rush. Does he think that any president would behave differently with the Haiti crisis? Wouldn't McCain have done exactly the same? Wouldn't George W. Bush have done exactly the same? That's just what leaders of first-world countries do as a matter of course for their third-world neighbours following natural disasters. It's not something peculiar to Obama.
How sadly erroneous this prophecy has proved to be. Would ANY president have treated Haiti differently? Why, yes, one would.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:32 AM

Rush ended up getting Michael J Fox briefly trending on Twitter.

After he announced his diagnosis, people dug up an old video where he mocked Fox's Parkinson's and accused him of exaggerating, and basically suggested giving him a taste of his own medicine.

So...basically, screw Limbaugh thrice - once for his general right-wing blowhardism, once for being a shitbag back in 2006, and once for making people think Fox had died (or gone Milkshake Duck).
Old 02-04-2020, 05:34 AM

Limbaugh’s 69. With modern treatments, there’s a good chance he’ll hang on another year or two. If you make it to 70 you can’t really complain too much, IMO. Especially if you spent half those years as a multi-multi-multi millionaire (did you know he’s worth half a billion dollars?).

He can die knowing he’s had a much, much better run than 99.999% of all humanity, despite the fact that, unlike him, the rest of us aren’t walking hefty bags of subhuman bilge. If he’s not satisfied with that, fuck him.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 02-04-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
. . . If Limbaugh continues putting his foot in his mouth I think he will finally jump the shark amongst the republican base just like he already has with rational people. There's only so much idiocy the medium-right can take after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
How sadly erroneous that prediction has turned out to be.
The sad part was indeed the erroneous part. He was eclipsed by more extreme people.

Last edited by Ludovic; 02-04-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:40 AM

He’s finally going to lose that weight and keep it off.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Fuck Rush Limbaugh

I could never get drunk enough.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
With the announcement that Rush Limbaugh has lung cancer, I am bumping this thread in case anyone wants to say anything negative about him--instead of doing so in the breaking news thread.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=889501
He should have stayed away from windmills.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:38 AM

In the eighties, I worked in a printing dept that had a radio that played his show. I thought it was the right-wing equivalent of SNL at the time. It was actually funny and educational. I got the right's reasons and perspectives for why they did the things they did, and I embraced Reagan's platform of the balanced budget, personal accountability, and distrust of the Russians.

In the Trump era, Rush completely abandoned those principles, saying the right only spin doctored them to win elections. His drug-shaming hypocrisy leading to rehab was one thing. I had already despised the right for supporting Trump, and hearing about him becoming Trump's golfing buddy and walking around with his tongue up Trump's ass made me ashamed of supporting such a fucking liar. I thought I had gotten to the point where I could see through everybody's lies, but Rush turned out to have pulled my puppet strings all along.

I'm not going to say he got what he deserved, because I pay the wages of sin myself. There's others whom I considered teachers to my development who turned out to be wrong themselves, and I was able to learn from their mistakes. In this case, I feel like I stunted my own growth by listening to his words, while he profited immensely off the fear and dissemination he spread, practicing every bit the manipulative and corrosive conspiracies he said the liberals were doing. I learned how easy it is to spread fear and uncertainty, and if I lacked any morals or ethics, I would love the power of being able to sway gullible listeners to do my bidding, so the devil's advocate in me understands his reason for being.

It's a sad realization that demagogues win public opinion and elections, and facts and truth don't appeal to the common man. I just hope I don't have to suffer the indignity of watching my skin shrivel from the effects of the climate change hoax before I die.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

This FemiNazi has no sympathy for people who do things that cold kill them.

Rush, ain't karma one feminist BITCH?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
This FemiNazi has no sympathy for people who do things that cold kill them.

Rush, ain't karma one feminist BITCH?
To be fair, he has now contributed something to human knowledge. We now know that it is possible for a cancer to get cancer.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
To be fair, he has now contributed something to human knowledge. We now know that it is possible for a cancer to get cancer.
winner
Old 02-04-2020, 11:52 AM

Limbaugh and Hannity have been putting thoughts into Trumps empty shell for some time now. AM radio still has a lot of listeners out there though.
Its like free WIFI

Last edited by Section Maker:Jupe; 02-04-2020 at 11:55 AM. Reason: erp
Old 02-04-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
As I said in the other thread, I wish him just as much sympathy as he showed others who were suffering.
To aid in this endeavor, I want raise the question of whether it that might be possible that he is faking his diagnosis so that he can get access to opioids to feed his addiction. Now I have no evidence that this is true, I'm just asking questions, but that doesn't mean that such a question shouldn't be spread virally accross interwebs.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:22 PM

https://potatriotsunite.com/emotiona...to-trump-2020/
Old 02-04-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
To aid in this endeavor, I want raise the question of whether it that might be possible that he is faking his diagnosis so that he can get access to opioids to feed his addiction. Now I have no evidence that this is true, I'm just asking questions, but that doesn't mean that such a question shouldn't be spread virally accross interwebs.
Nah, he can get Rx drugs easy enough.

When we found out that Rush was going deaf 15 years ago, it was linked to opioid use Rush stated was to treat pain. It's very possible that he exaggerated to get the drugs, or just used that as an excuse.

Rush was also busted on Rx drug charges but IIRC he lawyered up and beat the charges.

The only reason I can see if he is faking it is some sympathy to help revitalize his ailing ratings.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:38 PM

Strangely, it was the tumor that asked for Rush to be excised.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Hmmm. Could be. But I think my money is on him faking his illness for sympathy, just like he accused Michael J. Fox of doing. We all know that a distinguishing characteristic of today's conservatives is that they accuse the other side of that which they have done or would do in a heartbeat. So, until it's proven otherwise, I may just have to go on the assumption that he's faking it for ratings.

If this were almost anyone else, I might hold out hope that he would see the error of his ways. Hell, even notorious ratfucker Lee Atwater begged for forgiveness at the end of his life. But Limbaugh? He'll go to his grave thinking he was the good guy all along.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 02-04-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:

I don't wish harm or pain on him. I just refuse to act sympathetic for someone who spewed such hate.The world will be ever so slightly better without him in it.
“I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”

We even had a thread on the source of this some years ago:

What is the source for the recently popular Mark Twain quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:58 PM

Trump says he will award Rush Limbaugh with Medal of Freedom
Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Well the guy raised/gave millions of dollars to charity among them for cancer so he has done some good things, now maybe it's not that much considering his massive net worth, but maybe he'll donate some more of his fortune to worthy causes before he dies.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Of course he will. It's just a Republican participation trophy now.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:37 PM

It would be nice if when Limbaugh goes to get his medal, he's in a lot of pain and is having trouble breathing.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:50 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It would be nice if when Limbaugh goes to get his medal, he's in a lot of pain and is having trouble breathing.
Any chance of getting Weezer to perform at the ceremony?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:55 PM

Old 02-04-2020, 08:43 PM

Fuck Rush Limbaugh and the lungs he rode in on.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Well the guy raised/gave millions of dollars to charity among them for cancer so he has done some good things, now maybe it's not that much considering his massive net worth, but maybe he'll donate some more of his fortune to worthy causes before he dies.
He talked about that, considered it and think's its a good thing to do, but also decided it would do more good to donate 10 million to the Trump reelection effort instead.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
He talked about that, considered it and think's its a good thing to do, but also decided it would do more good to donate 10 million to the Trump reelection effort instead.
Talked about it? No he actually did it, I'd wager he's committed more to philanthropy than anyone on this board combined and counting, so if you are going to say something bad about someone you have to bring up the good as well. Most people are not fully good or bad, Rush Limbaugh did some good in this world as well, you have to look at the whole picture.