Old 02-19-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I like zombie threads. They let me see how my views have changed because I often find posts I made that I have no memory of (sometimes on issues I have no memory of... I've posted rather a lot here.)
I always get a kick out of that. I'll have the perfect comment to make in the thread, and I read through it to see if anyone else has already said it, only to discover that I already said it.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
I always get a kick out of that. I'll have the perfect comment to make in the thread, and I read through it to see if anyone else has already said it, only to discover that I already said it.
I do too. It is funny when you hit it just right and manage to hide the user name past the top of your screen realizing it. You start to comment that this is one of the most poignant things you have ever read, hit "Quote" and then find out you are about to reply to your past self.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:39 PM

I saw this thread while searching for something completely unrelated. It has been now been taunting me all day, like a big red button with a huge sign saying "DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON."

I'm pushing the button. I am unleashing my inner necromancer to make the dead live again! All stand in awe! Or you can just point and laugh at the idiot. I'm expecting more of the latter, actually .. but I don't care, because it feels good to finally push that big red button.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrander View Post
All stand in awe! Or you can just point and laugh at the idiot.
Can't we do both?
Old 02-11-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I saw this thread while searching for something completely unrelated. It has been now been taunting me all day, like a big red button with a huge sign saying "DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON."

I'm pushing the button. I am unleashing my inner necromancer to make the dead live again! All stand in awe! Or you can just point and laugh at the idiot. I'm expecting more of the latter, actually .. but I don't care, because it feels good to finally push that big red button.
5 kittens just starved to death. It's your fault.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
You couldn't have waited three days for the anniversary?
Old 02-11-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It has been now been taunting me all day, like a big red button with a huge sign saying "DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON."
Waiting all day... you have exceptional self control.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
All by masturbation.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm pushing the button.
Motherfucker...you're that guy aren't you? Couldn't even have the decency to wait until Monday. Damn you.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Can't we do both?
Of course. In the past, there have been posters whose stupidity has moved me to awe, and I am happy to pay that one forward.

Quote:
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how satisfied I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
You couldn't have waited three days for the anniversary?
That was my first thought when I read over the thread .. but I couldn't make it. Six hours is apparently my limit.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but they would have been declawed anyway.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 PM

I was going to post that I've read hundreds of posts' worth of a zombie thread...only to come across one that I laugh at. Then I notice that it was my comment, a decade before.

But I decided to save that for next year, when we resurrect this again.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:02 AM

Kinda funny reading all the promises ... "We'll be back every six months to resurrect this thread" ... they lasted FIVE days ... whimps
Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 AM

The worst part of zombie threads is the poster who has to announce to the other posters who got suckered in that its a zombie thread.

Many posters zip through the topics, and rarely go to the very first post to check when it was started before replying, so its no fun being "zombie-shamed".
Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 AM

I think having your brain eaten is a bit worse than shame.

I'm picturing myself in a bad horror movie with Russkie Heel, and we're running as fast as we can away from a pack of zombies. But he keeps turning around and saying "Don't shame me, bro..."
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
whimps
Whuss + chimp ???
Old 02-12-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I think having your brain eaten is a bit worse than shame.

I'm picturing myself in a bad horror movie with Russkie Heel, and we're running as fast as we can away from a pack of zombies. But he keeps turning around and saying "Don't shame me, bro..."
Zombies always chase the one with the most brains, so you're screwed and they probably won't even give him a second look.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Ok. Be honest...how many have marked their calendars to revive this to-be-zombie same time next year??
Old 02-12-2016, 10:43 AM

This thread won't be complete until it gets rezzed a few more times.

Also, the OP gets banned.

You're gonna have to take one for the team, Gato.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
This thread won't be complete until it gets rezzed a few more times.

Also, the OP gets banned...
Followed by a half dozen people wondering why he was banned, and a half dozen other posters saying "PM a mod, man..." And then ATMB is filled with "Why did Gato get banned? Was it the 'Do Not Zombie' thread?!?" And then that thread gets resurrected a year later...

And then it all moves to that other board, and gets zombified every year or so there, too.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
The worst part of zombie threads is the poster who has to announce to the other posters who got suckered in that its a zombie thread.

Many posters zip through the topics, and rarely go to the very first post to check when it was started before replying, so its no fun being "zombie-shamed".
Which is just one more reason why threads should be displayed most-recent-post first.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM

Oh, Goddammit!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
I don't understand the vitriol over zombie threads. Who cares if it's 10 years old if it's interesting. Maybe I missed it the first time around. Maybe there's new info I'd like to contribute because I've learned a few things since 10 years ago. Maybe I enjoy reading the posts of some of my favorite old-timers. Serious question...why do you even care?
I agree. I especially get a kick out of the zombie threads I'd initially replied on because I have no memory of initially replying to them.

But yeah, zombie threads are useful in their own right, especially if you go into the search function for something specific. I've searched for different things and always come upon threads which are over a decade old...which tells me that nobody's posted about that particular thing I'm looking for in a very long time.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM

People, for the love of Dog, next year this CANNOT be resurrected before Valentines Day!! THAT is the day for the resurrection of this, and no earlier. Anyone giving in to their urges on the 13th or earlier should suffer the complete and total devastation of their SDMB reputation.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 AM

Happy Birthday zombie-thread ... calendar marked for next year.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:

That was my first thought when I read over the thread .. but I couldn't make it. Six hours is apparently my limit.
You might want to try a twelve step program before next year.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
There are a lot of suggestions for "improvements" to SDMB function. Most are for the convenience or annoyance-reduction of a single user or small group. Some are just to make forum format like all the other squee social media formats. Some are objections to how posts are categorized.

But I think a board that never prunes or archives its content and is coming up on its 20th year of operation really, really, really needs a zombie thread marker system - something that warns the first poster the thread is old, something that alerts new posters to the revived status for a few hours or even the first 24 hours, and a special flag (like "New Posts" or "Closed") that makes the thread stand out as a zombie.

It would deter search-spammers, or at least help compartment their trolling. It would keep users new and old from making stupid posts when they don't realize the question is ten years old. It would keep mods from having to run around putting out little fires because of all the pointless friction. And - not least - it would alert long-time users that an old and possibly useful or interesting thread has been extended.

It can't be that hard, or cost that much even if turned over to a pro coder. I can't help but think that some plugin, extension or hack already exists for this venerable boardware.

Please. And thank you. And see you every Feb. 14 to roam these halls moaning about it.
The solution is simple. Incredibly simple. I've suggested it to TPTB at the Derp many times.

Without knowing the exact structure of their database, I'm willing to bet that they have something along this line: there is a "parent" record for each thread that has the thread id, title, date created, status, etc. There is a "child" record for each post in the thread with the date, post id, content, etc., etc.

It is child's play to create a procedure that runs nightly, weekly, whenever desired, that goes through all the open threads and looks at the posting date of the last record in the thread. If that date is 6 months or 9 months or a year or whatever was chosen old, that means the thread has been dormant for that length of the time and the procedure changes the parent record status to Closed.

Piece of cake. Giraffe, you should be doing this on this board as well.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
The solution is simple. Incredibly simple. I've suggested it to TPTB at the Derp many times.

Without knowing the exact structure of their database, I'm willing to bet that they have something along this line: there is a "parent" record for each thread that has the thread id, title, date created, status, etc. There is a "child" record for each post in the thread with the date, post id, content, etc., etc.

It is child's play to create a procedure that runs nightly, weekly, whenever desired, that goes through all the open threads and looks at the posting date of the last record in the thread. If that date is 6 months or 9 months or a year or whatever was chosen old, that means the thread has been dormant for that length of the time and the procedure changes the parent record status to Closed.

Piece of cake. Giraffe, you should be doing this on this board as well.
Except that's a horrible idea, because then you would never be able to revisit an old topic. Sometimes there's a new, interesting update to an old thread. And even though a lot of times yes, zombies are revived by new users who found the thread/board through search and don't necessarily notice or appreciate the time that has elapsed, it's still bringing new users to the board. Something which the SDMB is desperately in need of, since traffic and active members have been dropping off precipitously for years. Taking steps to actively discourage new users signing up would be pretty dumb.

It's not a matter of any technical limitation. It's a matter of determining appropriate policy.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
You might want to try a twelve step program before next year.
I make no promises.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:09 PM

Yah know, a lot of shit has gone down since I had the stupid idea to make this thread, and it seems like folks are going to be determined to resurrect this on a yearly basis, so What The Fuck!

To paraphrase Von Luger from The Great Escape, "It seems like this thread will see Berlin before I do"....

I'm gonna "leave my mark", so to speak.

My contribution to future generations: Don't take no shortcuts and hurry along as best you can*, and never bet against the guy with a key to the pinball machine.

Greek Roots Suck!

Considering the date, Happy Birthday, Jane! If not now, this too, in time will become irrelevant.

See You at The Rock Show!

*Stolen from Virginia, more or less

Last edited by Gatopescado; 02-17-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: This should ruin it for everybody! Bwah-ha-ha!
Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 AM

bump
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Charlie Brown Voice: I CAN'T STAND IT.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

You couldn't wait one more day?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

So... what happened in 2017? No revival then, guys. Tsk tsk.

Meanwhile, I think we should have a celebration for ancient closed threads that were Doper classics -- like this one.

Which I had to find via Google since the Dope's own search function choked to death trying to find.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Guavas. Land mines. Ice sculpture.

You'll be amazed at how prescient this was when somebody restarts the thread in 2019.

Or possibly 2020.

SPOILER:
Put there for someone to make the inevitable 20-20 hindsight joke.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM

What did you do, Gato?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Buttons you can't help but push. Anniversaries you don't have the self-control to wait for.

I hope nobody ever shows you something like THIS

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=1&ajaxhist=0

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5826&FORM=VIRE
Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
What did you do, Gato?
I refuse to acknowledge this bastard thread!

D'Oh!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I try to remember to check the starting dates of threads, but what often alerts me to a zombie is the number of posters to the thread who have been banned. So far the only banned poster to this thread is drewtwo99, joined Aug 2011, 8757 posts, banned March 2015. I don't remember him.

Happy Valentine Day's Eve, everyone.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Jesus Christ! It died a dignified death the first time around
I'm not entirely sure even that death was entirely dignified, and I do recall something about rising from the dead too.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:50 PM

Awww! Zombie love.♡♡♡♡!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-14-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I forgot to blow a kiss (smooch)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM

The really odd thing here is that if you look at the first post, it says it was created on 2/15/15, not 2/14. So, there's that.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
The really odd thing here is that if you look at the first post, it says it was created on 2/15/15, not 2/14. So, there's that.
That's a time zone issue. It was started at 10:06 pm West Coast USA time on 2/14. You are East of me or at least your settings are set to an area East of me.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post

Yeah, West Coast thing.

This was a better day than that. Went skiing. It was cold as fuck, and snowing, but that's better than sitting around the house. Had a great drive in the '02, blowing away some guy in a Dinan wagon. Took the dogs out in the Jeep and they loved it. Got home to discover some high-dollar sheep had been born, and not dead frozen to the ground. Up and healthy, mother in attendance.

Got a big ol' steak to cook and the dogs are all still with me. Olympics on the DVR and lots of beer in the fridge.

Fuck it. Let's go another year!

Happy 14th to all The Dope!
Old 02-15-2018, 06:18 PM

Time for predictions:

The Donald will still be making an ass out of himself this time next year ...

Dems take control of the US House and gain one seat in the Senate ...

Argentina wins the Wold Cup, 49ers win a playoff game but lose the next, LFL gets a TV contract ...

California elects a Republican governor who's actually a liberal, then promptly resigns after several sexual harassment claims ...

Corn harvest is slightly above average in the American Midwest ...

If any one of these comes true ... I will be boasting of it until everyone's sick ...

ETA: Welcome back zombie thread ... we missed ya ...

Last edited by watchwolf49; 02-15-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda View Post
You're calling on the world's most famous zombie for help ensuring that dead things stay dead? Good luck with that.
This guy is really scary. I know a lot of his victim that have obviously lost their brains. And after that they have all been trying to get me next. And seriously you really just can't kill them...
Old 02-16-2018, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

'In your head, in your head...."

(RIP Dolores)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
(RIP Dolores)
Seconded. I'm a fan of youtuber Janet Devlin, and I've had her amazing cover of Zombie stuck in my head for at least a week now.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 PM

Bumped with a few hours to spare.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 PM