Old 07-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Oh, good, a "racial realist".

Let me ask you, why do you think this situation exists? Do you feel that black people have some inherent trait that makes them more likely to break the law than white people? Or do you feel that the situation is the effect of black people being more likely to have grown up in an unfavorable environment that encourages crime than white people?

If it's the former and you believe that black people have something like a "crime gene" (along with a poverty gene, a poor education gene, an illegitimacy gene, and an unemployment gene) that white people don't have, then you're a racist.

If it's the latter and you believe that black people and white people basically start out the same and are products of the environment they grew up in, then explain why we should accept that black people are growing up in a significantly worse environment than white people are? Shouldn't we be working on improving that environment?
A fine post, but I suspect it will fall on deaf ears.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 PM

I think your suspicion has a very high degree of probability.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Apparently being a black valedictorian is now problematic.
I see zero evidence in the article that he wasn't allowed to give a speech because he was Black. In fact, it is mentioned that he had issues with the principal, that he led a student strike at the school, and that he refused to give in advance the text of his speech. Might or might not be good reasons to prevent him from giving the speech, but there isn't any hint that it has anything to do with racism. In fact, there isn't even an accusation of racism in the article.

And even though the title of the article is likely to make readers think it's a racism issue, I realized that it doesn't even hint at it. Clever. Everybody is going to think "racism" upon reading this title, but the paper can point at the actual wording and say that he never stated or even implied that the principal was motivated by racism.

I really dislike this manipulation. It's extremely dishonest.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
What about if they just hop around a little?
I'd direct them to the nearest restroom.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
So it's racist to point out historical fact?

You liberals are getting stupider by the day.
No it's not racist by itself, but the implied justification for the behaviour sure is.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Oh we assign race according to last name?

Which race is Michael Jordan?
I don't know, what race is whataboutism, you racist blood fart?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 PM

Random white lady demands to see black kid's sales permit for selling candy.
https://twitter.com/MuslimIQ/status/1016861003257139200

Random white guy blocks the gate to a gated community where a black doctor has lived for eight years, until she provides him with proof that she lives there.
https://twitter.com/TalbertSwan/stat...69244918456320
Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 PM

Papa John has resigned from being the company's chairman after the outcry following his use of the n word in a corporate board phone call.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/10/papa...pany-boar.html
Old 07-12-2018, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

And now there's swimming in your own pool while black.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Papa John has resigned from being the company's chairman after the outcry following his use of the n word in a corporate board phone call.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/10/papa...pany-boar.html
Yup. None of the local franchises are based in Nigg.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:44 AM

Woman who beat the 92 year old hispanic man with a brick, told others to help her beat him, and then told him to "Go back to Mexico" not charged with a hate crime.

Uh, while hate crimes laws are very subjective even if the initial crime wasn't motivated by bigotry, saying a racial slur or any other bias statement in the commission of a crime can lead to a hate crime charge as seen in other cases. I mean the entire reason why that story became national news was because of her statement of "Go back to Mexico". Why else is it even in this topic since it pretty much is a hate crime?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 AM

But on a positive note, at least...um

On the bright side, it definitely seems...hmmm

Oh poops, this thread sucks.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

"This young black entrepreneur was selling candy when he was harassed by this woman who demanded to see his business license. An ally stood up for the kid & bought ALL the candy. Let’s find him & give this hero the praise & recognition he deserves."

https://t.co/kcCfoCtuk7

Another feckless old white cunt filled with privilege.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
"This young black entrepreneur was selling candy when he was harassed by this woman who demanded to see his business license. An ally stood up for the kid & bought ALL the candy. Letís find him & give this hero the praise & recognition he deserves."

Are we sure it was someone sticking up for the kid or was it just someone who really likes candy?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM
BANNED

<sigh> White folks.

Black man
, Shane Holland, asked to leave his own pool by police officer. Un-fucking-believable.

Last edited by Huey Freeman; 07-12-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
"This young black entrepreneur was selling candy when he was harassed by this woman who demanded to see his business license. An ally stood up for the kid & bought ALL the candy. Letís find him & give this hero the praise & recognition he deserves."

Wow
Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
I would prefer they USE THEIR WORDS.

"Hey guys, sorry to bother you, but it looked like y'all were taking something from my neighbor's house. I just want to make sure everything's ok."

"[Explanation ensues]"

"Gotcha, cool, and thank you! I figured it wasn't anything sketch. Good luck with your paper route, kiddo--I promise it'll get easier!"

I mean, I totally get that calling the cops on randos is easier. But jesus.
The flip side is, if they're stealing something, now they know they've been noticed, and they can split while you're calling the cops. If some white kid went up to multiple doorsteps and came back with stuff each time, you bet I'm calling the cops.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
The flip side is, if they're stealing something, now they know they've been noticed, and they can split while you're calling the cops. If some white kid went up to multiple doorsteps and came back with stuff each time, you bet I'm calling the cops.
That's why the lady was right when she wanted to see the business license of the kid selling candy. If you see kids, especially black kids, doing stuff in the middle of the day, the most likely scenario is that they are committing some crime.

Remain Vigilant!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
The Cook County Forest Preserve officer is under investigation now, which is nice.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...487776211.html

I didn't realize that this was in Chicago at first and Caldwell Woods is just a short hop from my house. It distresses me to see this where I live, and I know this area isn't immune to racism, of course. I have a cop that's very close to my family who's racist.
It looks like this cop now resigned. All I have see on this though is a post from reporter David Begnaud.

https://www.facebook.com/10867951365...568655/?type=3
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
<sigh> White folks.

Black man
, Shane Holland, asked to leave his own pool by police officer. Un-fucking-believable.
That is both infuriating and crazy. The property manager told the cop the guy was a resident, but still made him leave. And apparently has barred him and his family from ever using the pool.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
As for the Yale dorm, I've been in that dorm. Totally normal for people to fall asleep wherever. Although I don't believe I ever slept in that one.
This thread made me curious about what happened with that Yale student. It turns out she's feeling all sorry for herself on Twitter now --

Quote:
I mean, I was going to save the world, but what's that compared to an uptick in readership or clicks?

Yay!!! Everyone made money off of the destruction of my life!!! Good for you, assholes!!!

Of course, no one cares if they drive an innocent #humanandcivilrightsactivist to #suicide, as long as they #profit off of it. But, that's just the way the world works, right?

Especially one who had devoted her life to #socialjustice work. Great job!

I'm so happy that millions of people were able to #profit off of the #destruction of an #innocent #humanrights and #civilrights #activist's life.

I won't hold my breath waiting for anyone to apologize to me.

So, the moral of the story is -- don't bother trying to be a good person. The world will condemn and destroy your life anyway.

I chose to move to #France and sit for days in offices with #African #women #immigrants and their #children to make sure that they wouldn't be discriminated against during the #visa process. And, now, I'm condemned as some kind of #PolPot figure. That's what being good gets you

I could have done anything with my life. I could have been an #ElonMusk figure and started an engineering company. I could have made millions. I could have been a hot shot #attorney at a big NYC law firm. But, what did I choose to do with my life? I chose to . . .
Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 PM

Trashing a Federal Refuge, burning down Federal land or pointing guns at Feds is perfectly OK if you are White. You might even get a Presidential Pardon and released from prison if you do actually get sentenced for your crime.

If you are Native look forward to being brutalized by rent-a-cops, cops and National Guardsmen and then bend over because you will be prosecuted: http://thecirclenews.org/cover-story...er-protectors/

And don't try to better yourself while being Red because you look different and are quiet: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/04/us/co...rnd/index.html
Old 07-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Random white guy blocks the gate to a gated community where a black doctor has lived for eight years, until she provides him with proof that she lives there.
https://twitter.com/TalbertSwan/stat...69244918456320
This is infuriating. Also infuriating is that she didn't get a better shot of his face, to make it easier to identify him. She should also have taken a clear shot of his license plate. Then let the millions of people on the internet figure out and circulate his identity.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing ó from Pittsburgh to Parkland ó had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 07-12-2018, 04:16 PM

A bus rider tells a woman in a head scarf 'ICE should take her kids away'

Article includes a 30-second video recorded during the incident.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
It looks like this cop now resigned. All I have see on this though is a post from reporter David Begnaud.

https://www.facebook.com/10867951365...568655/?type=3
Felony hate crime for the motherfucker, well the abusive motherfucker, not the do-nothing cop motherfucker.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...712-story.html
Old 07-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Felony hate crime for the motherfucker, well the abusive motherfucker, not the do-nothing cop motherfucker.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...712-story.html
I was a little surprised to see that. Not disappointed but surprised nonetheless. I wonder if they're looking to have him plead out to something less.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
This is infuriating. Also infuriating is that she didn't get a better shot of his face, to make it easier to identify him. She should also have taken a clear shot of his license plate. Then let the millions of people on the internet figure out and circulate his identity.
(emphasis added)
She did, but it was blurred in the linked video.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:10 PM

Biscayne Park, Fl police told to pin crimes on black people, probe found
Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Cop pulls gun on black kids after 911 caller falsely reports they are armed.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
That's why the lady was right when she wanted to see the business license of the kid selling candy. If you see kids, especially black kids, doing stuff in the middle of the day, the most likely scenario is that they are committing some crime.

Remain Vigilant!
Say what the fuck?!

Look, a person going up to houses empty-handed and walking away with stuff - that's inherently suspicious. Selling candy isn't. That's why calling the cops on a black kid doing the former isn't necessarily racist, but calling the cops on a black kid selling candy IS.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Say what the fuck?!

Look, a person going up to houses empty-handed and walking away with stuff - that's inherently suspicious. Selling candy isn't. That's why calling the cops on a black kid doing the former isn't necessarily racist, but calling the cops on a black kid selling candy IS.
Selling candy without your business license prominently displayed is suspicious. She was right to call the cops. Just like selling lemonade or loose cigarettes. If black people want to sell things, they need to follow the established business rules. If not, they deserved the cops called on them.

I have started being vigilant in my neighborhood and calling the cops whenever a black person looks suspicious, like being black or selling lemonade. Of course, since I'm the only white person in my neighborhood, I make a lot of phone calls. But hey, we whiteys have to stick together lest black children steal my doorbell button or whatever.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 PM

I realize people want to be clever and ironic and all that cool stuff, but you, manson1972, seem to have reached a point where your satirical style is... counterproductively obtuse. IMO
Old 07-12-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Sure. Multiple doorsteps. Not the case here.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
I realize people want to be clever and ironic and all that cool stuff, but you, manson1972, seem to have reached a point where your satirical style is... counterproductively obtuse. IMO
I don't think so, but thanks for your opinion. Perhaps you can offer an example of what someone could steal from a doorstep in the middle of the day? And perhaps you can explain why someone wouldn't default to "I'm sure they are doing something legal" when they see such a thing?

Last edited by manson1972; 07-12-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think so, but thanks for your opinion.
You're quite welcome. I'll just contrast your post here with your previous post. There's a major difference that I see, can you see it too? (It has to do with the presence in one of overly heavy irony, and the blessed absence of that in the other.)

Quote:
Perhaps you can offer an example of what someone could steal from a doorstep in the middle of the day?
There's this new business called Amazon. Only been around a few minutes, you probably never heard of it, but they leave merchandise that people order from them on doorsteps all the time. It's a year round activity, but particularly attractive for thieves around Christmas time to go and collect other people's packages.

Quote:
And perhaps you can explain why someone wouldn't default to "I'm sure they are doing something legal" when they see such a thing?
Nah. I'd like to help, but my contract says I'm only allowed to explain one situation to any given poster per week without applying an exorbitant "clue fee." (There's a lot of consumption of explanations lately.) You've reached your quota already.

Now, if you'd like to ask why they would default to "I'd better call the cops" when they see such a thing, that's a fair and more complex question. One I can't answer actually, because it kind of depends on some contextual elements that I don't know. It would be reasonable in some neighborhoods at some times, and unreasonable in other places and times.

Last edited by xenophon41; 07-12-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: clarity ?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
You're quite welcome. I'll just contrast your post here with your previous post. There's a major difference that I see, can you see it too? (It has to do with the presence in one of overly heavy irony, and the blessed absence of that in the other.)
You didn't quote the posts to which you are referring so I don't know.

Quote:
There's this new business called Amazon. Only been around a few minutes, you probably never heard of it, but they leave merchandise that people order from them on doorsteps all the time. It's a year round activity, but particularly attractive for thieves around Christmas time to go and collect other people's packages
I might have heard of that. What I haven't heard of is thieves driving around a neighborhood dropping their kid off to walk up to a house in broad daylight, stealing a package, and then getting back in their car to go to the very next house. Perhaps you can link to some news stories where that has happened?

Quote:
Nah. I'd like to help, but my contract says I'm only allowed to explain one situation to any given poster per week without applying an exorbitant "clue fee." (There's a lot of consumption of explanations lately.) You've reached your quota already
Damn. I'll check back on Sunday then.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

People are remarkably ignorant concerning their country. I'm referring to the guy who didn't know that residents of Puerto Rico are US citizens.

But I can go one better. I had a friend go to the Texas DMV to get a new license, as she and her husband had just been transferred from Fairbanks, Alaska. The clerk at the DMV wouldn't honor her Alaskan license, saying they didn't take licenses from foreign countries.

A guy I know who used to be a travel agent said folks asked him about changing their money when they wanted to take a vacation in Hawaii.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
People are remarkably ignorant concerning their country. I'm referring to the guy who didn't know that residents of Puerto Rico are US citizens.

But I can go one better. I had a friend go to the Texas DMV to get a new license, as she and her husband had just been transferred from Fairbanks, Alaska. The clerk at the DMV wouldn't honor her Alaskan license, saying they didn't take licenses from foreign countries.

A guy I know who used to be a travel agent said folks asked him about changing their money when they wanted to take a vacation in Hawaii.
...jeebus.

I mean, I used to get that after moving from New Mexico to Norf Cackalacky, but Alaska? Hawaii??
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post

I don't think this is exactly ignorance. Ignorance is when you just don't know something. If you showed me something written in Sanskrit, I couldn't read a word of it; I am completely ignorant of that language. But it's because I never learned how to read Sanskrit. I don't feel like that makes me particularly stupid.

Stupidity is when you do know something but you just can't apply your knowledge. If you had asked these people "What country owns Hawaii?" I bet most of them probably could have told you "America".

But somehow, when it came to actually using a piece of knowledge that was there inside their brain, they couldn't do it. That's stupidity not ignorance.

If you have somebody who's ignorant, you can teach them. But there's no cure for stupidity.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

And then there are people who would have said that Hawaii is part of the US, if you had led off with that, but if you asked them after they'd just made that mistake, they'd insist it was Japan, because it's impossible that they could have been wrong.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I might have heard of that. What I haven't heard of is thieves driving around a neighborhood dropping their kid off to walk up to a house in broad daylight, stealing a package, and then getting back in their car to go to the very next house. Perhaps you can link to some news stories where that has happened?
Take your child to crime day:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wgntv.c...ty-camera/amp/

Not that you can necessarily tell that a twelve year old is a child from a distance.

Driving house to house: https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2018/0...package-thefts

Not necessarily the very next house, but your story doesn't say anything about going to the very next house.

Package theft is a very common crime: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...wer/874554001/

Driving around in a personal vehicle and legally removing items from multiple doorsteps, not so much.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure. Multiple doorsteps. Not the case here.
"We had delivered to the wrong houses," his mom said. "So he went to go grab the newspapers to make sure everything was okay."

Houses. The s makes it plural.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Take your child to crime day:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wgntv.c...ty-camera/amp/

Not that you can necessarily tell that a twelve year old is a child from a distance.

Driving house to house: https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2018/0...package-thefts

Not necessarily the very next house, but your story doesn't say anything about going to the very next house.

Package theft is a very common crime: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...wer/874554001/

Driving around in a personal vehicle and legally removing items from multiple doorsteps, not so much.
Ok, fair enough. But damn, making a child go with you to steal stuff? That's low.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
"We had delivered to the wrong houses," his mom said. "So he went to go grab the newspapers to make sure everything was okay."

Houses. The s makes it plural.
Thank you! I misread.

(I stand by my original gripe, however, re words and the using thereof.)

Last edited by andros; 07-13-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Say what the fuck?!

Please keep in mind some people would call the cops on any kid black, white, or brownish selling something just because they are misanthropic curmudgeons.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I misread.

(I stand by my original gripe, however, re words and the using thereof.)
Wait. No. The person who called reported seeing the kid at one house only: "the caller reported seeing someone going up to a porch empty-handed and leaving the porch with something in their hand."

Retraction retracted.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Woman who beat the 92 year old hispanic man with a brick, told others to help her beat him, and then told him to "Go back to Mexico" not charged with a hate crime.

Uh, while hate crimes laws are very subjective even if the initial crime wasn't motivated by bigotry, saying a racial slur or any other bias statement in the commission of a crime can lead to a hate crime charge as seen in other cases. I mean the entire reason why that story became national news was because of her statement of "Go back to Mexico". Why else is it even in this topic since it pretty much is a hate crime?
Don't know why it's not a hate crime, but the lead perp has now been charged with attempted murder.

The victim's GoFundMe campaign has surpassed $300,000. Hopefully once he heals he can live very comfortably for the rest of his life.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wait. No. The person who called reported seeing the kid at one house only: "the caller reported seeing someone going up to a porch empty-handed and leaving the porch with something in their hand."

Retraction retracted.
From the original WSYX-TV report: "I noticed they were walking up to the houses"
Old 07-13-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
From the original WSYX-TV report: "I noticed they were walking up to the houses"
Who is "they"? I thought it was just the kid, and the mother was in the car.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Who is "they"? I thought it was just the kid, and the mother was in the car.
I can only read the same words you can read.

FWIW a 17 year old son was also along for the trip in some capacity.