Old 07-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
FWIW a 17 year old son was also along for the trip in some capacity.
His job was to steal the Amazon packages while little brother decoyed with the papers.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:17 PM

The thread about the Netflix exec fired for uttering the N-word twice under ambiguous circumstances was closed in GD with moderators inviting people to take it to the Pit if they wanted. I am doing so, not out of a desire to continue the name-calling that derailed the thread, but because I didn’t see anyone who defended his firing answer the question of whether they would consider the firing justified if the facts were as described in the first scenario here:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=166

To me, firing him in that scenario would be really fucked up; firing him if it was more like the second would be totally justified.

And, I mean: is Netflix never going to air programming in which white characters (in period pieces, or who are nasty pieces of work from the present day) use this word without euphemizing it? If they do, will white producers, directors, etc., not be allowed to say what’s in the script verbatim? I understand this is a frought issue, and I’m not sure if I have ever said this word out loud in my life, but I don’t work in those kinds of circumstances.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 07-13-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Didn't read that thread. So what scenario was the scenario that actually happened?

Last edited by bobot; 07-13-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: So what
Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 PM
BANNED

<sigh> More pain today.

Two 26 year old white twins
attacked Carlos Ruiz and his family. Two young women started screaming “racist things” across the street, questioning how it was possible that Mexicans could have enough money to afford a home in that neighborhood as well as the cars that Ruiz and his family own. When his mother started walking back to her home, Ruiz says the two women ran across the street and began physically attacking her by punching her and pulling her hair. His sister saw what was happening and came outside to help her mother. That is when the two women began attacking his sister as well. His sister was actually able to physically defend herself, so of course, the two seemingly drunk and/or drugged out white girls began playing the victim. They informed Ruiz’s family that they are going to call the police and taunt them by saying “Who do you think they are going to believe?” You can see Carlos Ruiz's posts here and the Youtube video here.

Black man, Kevin Brooks, denied entry to Martha's Vineyard "because you're black". The driver was fired but we know how white folks act. He'll be rewarded with a better paying job in the next district over.

White man, Glenn Halfin, hangs noose outside black neighbors house.

White male thot screams at minorities that "White men built these streets".

White woman in airforce says she is "hunting niggers" while on a hunting trip

Honorable Mention:

White folk decide to re-open the Emmett Till case. Given these hoes actually thought Frederick Douglass is alive, I suspect rape charges against his corpse will be filed next week.

Last edited by Huey Freeman; 07-13-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
<sigh> More pain today.

Two 26 year old white twins
attacked Carlos Ruiz and his family. Two young women started screaming “racist things” across the street, questioning how it was possible that Mexicans could have enough money to afford a home in that neighborhood as well as the cars that Ruiz and his family own. When his mother started walking back to her home, Ruiz says the two women ran across the street and began physically attacking her by punching her and pulling her hair. His sister saw what was happening and came outside to help her mother. That is when the two women began attacking his sister as well. His sister was actually able to physically defend herself, so of course, the two seemingly drunk and/or drugged out white girls began playing the victim. They informed Ruiz’s family that they are going to call the police and taunt them by saying “Who do you think they are going to believe?” You can see Carlos Ruiz's posts here and the Youtube video here.
Happily the cops arrested the 2 racist women for the May 7th incident; the 2 racist women are now under a restraining order. NowThis compiled footage: https://twitter.com/TheRickyDavila/s...54091063595008

Article: https://www.theroot.com/2-white-wome...e-p-1827559735

https://www.bet.com/news/national/20...x-neighbo.html
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Sure. Multiple doorsteps. Not the case here.
The story I read said multiple doorsteps.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPG Zealot View Post
Please keep in mind some people would call the cops on any kid black, white, or brownish selling something just because they are misanthropic curmudgeons.
Yes, I'm aware of that. These things happen, as almost all the incidents cited in this thread amply demonstrate. In just about every link I've clicked on, it's pretty damn clear that there was no good reason for the cops to be called, other than the race of the person they were calling the cops about.

I just happen to think that in this one instance, that's not necessarily the case. The fact that white people call the cops on blacks all too often simply because they're black in a public space that whites apparently think is a 'white' space, doesn't mean that's what's going on every time a white person calls the cops on a black person.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Selling candy without your business license prominently displayed is suspicious. She was right to call the cops. Just like selling lemonade or loose cigarettes. If black people want to sell things, they need to follow the established business rules. If not, they deserved the cops called on them.

I have started being vigilant in my neighborhood and calling the cops whenever a black person looks suspicious, like being black or selling lemonade. Of course, since I'm the only white person in my neighborhood, I make a lot of phone calls. But hey, we whiteys have to stick together lest black children steal my doorbell button or whatever.
On the whole, I think you're a pretty intelligent poster. But here, rather than attempting to deal with the distinction I've been drawing in a rational way, you're just throwing shit at the wall.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
On the whole, I think you're a pretty intelligent poster
Really? Well, that makes one of us

Quote:
But here, rather than attempting to deal with the distinction I've been drawing in a rational way, you're just throwing shit at the wall.
Yeah, stuff seems more cogent sometimes when one has been drinking. My bad.

I am, however, the only white person in my neighborhood. And I admit to looking suspiciously at strange white people I see walking around. Not sure what that means.

Last edited by manson1972; 07-13-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Didn't read that thread. So what scenario was the scenario that actually happened?
It’s unclear, which is frustrating. But nothing has been revealed that is inconsistent with it being the milder one.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Really? Well, that makes one of us
Hell, we've been in a bunch of the same threads in recent months, and you definitely add to the quality of the discussion.
Quote:
Yeah, stuff seems more cogent sometimes when one has been drinking. My bad.
Apology accepted. We all have moments like that.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I didn’t see anyone who defended his firing answer the question of whether they would consider the firing justified if the facts were as described in the first scenario here:
If it wasn't clear in that thread - yes, I would consider the firing justified. Not the first offense, but repeating it for the second.

Of course, the real-life scenario includes the missing information that he was confronted immediately after the first incident, and apologized then. So by incident 2, he already knew and seemingly acknowledged his use of the word was offensive. Or his apology after incident 2 wasn't sincere. Which may explain why he didn't bring up either incident later when addressing a meeting of Black Netflix staff who all clearly knew about incident 1, at least, given their reported reaction after that meeting.

Either way, that's the scenario under which he was he was actually fired, bobot.
Quote:
And, I mean: is Netflix never going to air programming in which white characters (in period pieces, or who are nasty pieces of work from the present day) use this word without euphemizing it? If they do, will white producers, directors, etc., not be allowed to say what’s in the script verbatim?
That's exactly what they're going to do, yes, if we believe the head of the studio.

I don't see how it's fraught, any more than we allow people to assault others, expose themselves, and generally do other things in fiction, in front of cameras, that we don't let them get away with outside that - even on a movie set.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
But nothing has been revealed that is inconsistent with it being the milder one.
Like fuck it is. It's absolutely clear it's NOT just scenario one as given there.

Unless you're saying the head of Netflix is lying, which not even Friedland has claimed.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
If it wasn't clear in that thread - yes, I would consider the firing justified. Not the first offense, but repeating it for the second.

Of course, the real-life scenario includes the missing information that he was confronted immediately after the first incident, and apologized then. So by incident 2, he already knew and seemingly acknowledged his use of the word was offensive. Or his apology after incident 2 wasn't sincere. Which may explain why he didn't bring up either incident later when addressing a meeting of Black Netflix staff who all clearly knew about incident 1, at least, given their reported reaction after that meeting.

Either way, that's the scenario under which he was he was actually fired, bobot.

That's exactly what they're going to do, yes, if we believe the head of the studio.

I don't see how it's fraught, any more than we allow people to assault others, expose themselves, and generally do other things in fiction, in front of cameras, that we don't let them get away with outside that - even on a movie set.
In the tradition of Django Unchanged, if a white person is required to say racist slurs by the script, they must do it while Samuel Jackson glares at them.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Like fuck it is. It's absolutely clear it's NOT just scenario one as given there.

Unless you're saying the head of Netflix is lying, which not even Friedland has claimed.
Cite? I’m not claiming to have read every article about this, but I did read four or five—and none of them contradicted that first scenario. Nor did anyone in that thread subsequently claim (as you are here) that it was contradicted by the undisputed facts of the case.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Cite? I’m not claiming to have read every article about this, but I did read four or five—and none of them contradicted that first scenario. Nor did anyone in that thread subsequently claim (as you are here) that it was contradicted by the undisputed facts of the case.
...why the fuck have you chosen to hijack this thread with this nonsense? Go start your own thread you racist prick.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest going back and reading the thread that got locked. Everything he is saying was shown in that thread. He's really just repeating himself. Also, maybe reread the memo, as his description fits the memo, while yours leaves out parts.

And, yeah, I agree--this thread isn't about litigating the details of that other thread. Start a new one about that topic if you want.

Last edited by BigT; 07-14-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Has the incident where Florida cops were told to blame unsolved crimes on random black people shown up in this thread yet? I did see it the cops thread, but didn't see it while skimming this thread.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...why the fuck have you chosen to hijack this thread with this nonsense? Go start your own thread you racist prick.
Suck it, Jesus!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:19 AM

White guy screams at black woman minding her own business on the road, calling her a monkey, using the N word, and telling her to go back to Africa. When the video of the incident was posted on Facebook, Facebook took it down.
https://twitter.com/Lynn_TG/status/1018164529266610176

Muslim kids asked to leave a public pool for violating a nonexistent rule.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...n-crosspost-fb
Old 07-15-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Cite?
"Cite?" Look at the racist motherfucker, thinking this is GD and all. Fuck off back to your troll-hole, fuckstick.

I'm only going to continue this hijack in a new thread, if it's in the Pit - if you have the balls to make one, that is, snowflake.

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-15-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
White guy screams at black woman minding her own business on the road, calling her a monkey, using the N word, and telling her to go back to Africa. When the video of the incident was posted on Facebook, Facebook took it down.
https://twitter.com/Lynn_TG/status/1018164529266610176
Trump's White Trash Nation - emboldened.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Has the incident where Florida cops were told to blame unsolved crimes on random black people shown up in this thread yet? I did see it the cops thread, but didn't see it while skimming this thread.
I posted it upthread. But I don't know if anyone noticed it.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
"Cite?" Look at the racist motherfucker, thinking this is GD and all. Fuck off back to your troll-hole, fuckstick.

I'm only going to continue this hijack in a new thread, if it's in the Pit - if you have the balls to make one, that is, snowflake.
Eat me. I already took the suggestion to read carefully through all of that thread, so unless you have something new (which you obviously don’t), it’s pretty clear you’re just going with the same bluster you had there, cranked up for the Pit—even though a close read of Reed Hastings’ memo gleans nothing that contradicts either version of events.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Eat me.
No thanks. Racists give me gas.
Quote:
a close read of Reed Hastings’ memo gleans nothing that contradicts either version of events.
Illiterate as well as cowardly it is, then.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 AM

If you have light to shed, start the thread and link here, and I will be there with bells on. Otherwise this is my last comment—hijack over.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
if you have the balls to make one, that is, snowflake.
Quote:
If you have light to shed, start the thread and link here, and I will be there with bells on.
What are you going to tie the bells to, given that you have no balls?

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-15-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Anyone else feel that MrDibble and SlackerInc are about to start making out?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:28 PM

A Donald Trump delegate to the RNC convention, a manger at a CVS store, calls cops on a black woman for trying to use a coupon.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/15...n-report.html?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Bus driver tells would-be passenger he didn't pick him up because he's black.
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/07...use-hes-black/
Old 07-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
A Donald Trump delegate to the RNC convention, a manger at a CVS store, calls cops on a black woman for trying to use a coupon.
Just because it took me a minute to find it, and it did not appear to be in the story you linked to, here you go.

Quote:
The coupon turned out to be legitimate.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
In the tradition of Django Unchanged, if a white person is required to say racist slurs by the script, they must do it while Samuel Jackson glares at them.
Does it have to be SLJ, or can he use alternates? Fishburne is pretty good at glaring.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
A coupon for some incontinence products, at that.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Police falsely accuse black students of dining-and-dashing from IHOP.

Quote:
According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the students were stopped by Clayton police earlier this month while walking to a MetroLink stop after their late-night dinner. That was when the students were told that they were being accused of leaving the IHOP restaurant without paying.

This is where it gets better (and by better, I mean invariably unconscionable). Some of the students presented their receipts to show that they had indeed paid for their meals, nonetheless, the police made them walk all the way back to the restaurant, following them with six squad cars. However, when they reached the restaurant, the manager informed officers that they had the wrong people, and they were not the ones who had left without paying.

The officers then dismissed them without apology.

Last edited by Fear Itself; 07-17-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:42 PM

6 squad cars seems like overkill.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
6 squad cars seems like overkill.
You should see how many 8x10 color glossy photos with pictures and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was they took.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Woo Hoo, my hometown Clayton in the national news! In your face, Ladue!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM

Circles and arrows.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

No I don't want to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Happily the cops arrested the 2 racist women for the May 7th incident; the 2 racist women are now under a restraining order. NowThis compiled footage: https://twitter.com/TheRickyDavila/s...54091063595008

Article: https://www.theroot.com/2-white-wome...e-p-1827559735

https://www.bet.com/news/national/20...x-neighbo.html
Heavy.com dug a little deeper. The perps spent 5 days in jail. They have a court date on Aug 2. The son and brother of the 2 victims praised the police for their handling of the situation.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/07/natasha-and-shala-fross/
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Woo Hoo, my hometown Clayton in the national news! In your face, Ladue!
Oof. My family stayed at the Sheraton in Clayton not too long ago. I can’t believe after the negative attention on West County in recent years, they haven’t cleaned up their act, at least as far as doing some basic PR damage control of apologizing. SMH
Old 07-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
You should see how many 8x10 color glossy photos with pictures and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was they took.
The glamour shots of the pancakes and bacon were pretty well done, I heard.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Pickup basketball game ends when white guy calls the cops on a black guy because of a hard foul.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oof. My family stayed at the Sheraton in Clayton not too long ago. I can’t believe after the negative attention on West County in recent years, they haven’t cleaned up their act, at least as far as doing some basic PR damage control of apologizing. SMH
Hah - as you may know, every suburb is its own little world in St. Louis. City of Clayton (how pretentious is that btw) wouldn’t give two shits about West County PR. I left in ‘88, but from the sound of things it doesn’t appear as though much has changed.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 AM

This is ridiculous. There is no law that prohibits calling the police for something stupid?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Jays Fan

From the article:

"... the exasperated deputy explains that he’d heard there had been a fight, and that this was the first time he had been called to address a basketball foul."

That night:

"How was your day, honey? Catch any bad guys?"

"No, but I T'd a guy for a flagrant and ran him."

"Huh?"

"I just need a beer."

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972
This is ridiculous. There is no law that prohibits calling the police for something stupid?
Of course there are laws, but getting a conviction would be nearly impossible. How do you prove someone called 911 purely out of spite, or fraudulently?

911 dispatchers get calls from white people complaining about black people doing common things literally every single day. There are several columns about this phenomenon floating around now, but it's stuff like - I really am not joking here, this is totally what they get calls about - "Black people are parking in front of my house," or "Black people are jogging on our street," or "Black people are having a garage sale." I am completely serious.

The 911 dispatch operator HAS TO SEND SOMEONE. 99.999% of the time they must send cops; it's just not an option not to because if something does happen and someone gets hurt and you didn't send anyone it's deep shit. Every jurisdiction has a way of prioritizing calls, of course; "I don't like the black people playing cards in the park" will get a cop car sent whenever the cops can get around to it, whereas "Someone is shooting" gets cop cars sent at high speed. But they have to come. In the case of BBQ Becky, 911 was called twice; the first time for "Black people are having a barbeque," the operator assigned it lowest priority and actually the cops never got there for that call. The cop who showed up was responding to the SECOND call, made by someone else over an hour later when BBQ Becky got into a physical confrontation with the campers.

The 911 operator just doesn't have the option of saying "Dude, grow a fucking sack and get back out there, fouls happen." They have to send the cops, however embarrassing that might be.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Yeah, I get that 911 has to send the police. But once they get there, and the guy says "He fouled me too hard!", it seems like that would be something to prosecute.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I can understand that they have to send someone for every call claiming some crime. But why do they have to send someone even when there's no crime claimed? "Some black people are having a barbecue" shouldn't require any response at all.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I can understand that they have to send someone for every call claiming some crime. But why do they have to send someone even when there's no crime claimed? "Some black people are having a barbecue" shouldn't require any response at all.
BBQ Betty's complaint was that black people were using a charcoal grill in an area where park rules prohibited charcoal grills.

Permit Patty's official complaint was that the black kid selling water didn't have a permit (although it sounds like the root cause was that this kid and her mom were being obnoxiously loud, which isn't exactly a crime).

Asshole Adam insisted that a black woman show her ID to prove she was authorized to use the pool, and called the cops when she refused to do so and refused to leave.

Starbucks: the two black guys were asked to leave because they weren't ordering anything, and the cops were called when they refused to leave.

-CVS: the black woman was asked to leave because the clerk suspected her coupon was fake, and the called the cops because she refused to leave.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
911 dispatchers get calls from white people complaining about black people doing common things literally every single day.
Cite: https://www.vox.com/first-person/201...ly-bbq-oakland

Expert discussion: https://www.vox.com/first-person/201...ale-airbnb-911

ACLU: https://www.aclu.org/blog/racial-jus...bias-motivated

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 07-18-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
BBQ Betty's complaint was that black people were using a charcoal grill in an area where park rules prohibited charcoal grills.
According to the article, there is a map that says that that area is off limits to charcoal, but, not only do (white) people use charcoal in that area all the time, there are permanent charcoal grills installed by the park services in those areas.
Quote:
Permit Patty's official complaint was that the black kid selling water didn't have a permit (although it sounds like the root cause was that this kid and her mom were being obnoxiously loud, which isn't exactly a crime).
True, they didn't have a permit. Does your (white) neighbor's kid get a permit before he bangs on your door selling candy for his school fundraiser?
Quote:
Asshole Adam insisted that a black woman show her ID to prove she was authorized to use the pool, and called the cops when she refused to do so and refused to leave.
If he was asking everyone to show their ID, and she refused, that would be a point. She was singled out for needing to be ID'd, while other (white) people around her were not.
Quote:
Starbucks: the two black guys were asked to leave because they weren't ordering anything, and the cops were called when they refused to leave.
They were waiting for the rest of their party to arrive, something that (white) people do all the time.
Quote:
-CVS: the black woman was asked to leave because the clerk suspected her coupon was fake, and the called the cops because she refused to leave.
The coupon was real. The clerk did not call the police on other (white) people who use real coupons.