Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I dunno, the SEC title game will be interesting. Georgia's defense is stout, and it'll definitely be the toughest test for Burrow. Georgia's focus will probably be on neutralizing the run game and making Burrow beat them with his arm. Burrow's certainly capable of doing that but if the Dawgs can force the offense to be more one dimensional and make Burrow face 3rd and 7 as opposed to 3rd and 2, then they will have done their job.
Well, I'm a life-long Cleveland Browns fan, so constitutionally inclined to expect the worst from any team I root for. But while Georgia's defense is impressive, the offense isn't. (I mean, this is a team that lost to South Carolina, for heaven's sake; an opponent who, let us remember, later lost to Appalachian State.)

Burrow, in the mean time, just set the SEC record for single-season passing yards, with 4,366. He's averaging 11 yards per toss, with 41 touchdowns. And his completion percentage is 78.9%. Seventy-eight point nine percent. He's on track to set the NCAA record for completion percentage.

Fromm, on the other hand, has thrown for 2,385 yards this season, and is 194-for-314, which is a respectable but not brilliant 62%. He's averaging 7.6 yards per catch, with 21 touchdowns.

I know one player does not win a game, but the Dawgs have never passed the smell test for me this season (they fumbled a punt and lost an onside kick against Tech last weekend). Whereas LSU looks solid.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd love to be proven wrong and see the Silver Britches win the conference next week in Atlanta. But I'd be really surprised if they did.

TL;DR version - Jake Fromm is a good quarterback. Joe Burrow is a great quarterback.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 12-01-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Boy - Nebraska STILL hasn't found the right person to fill Tom Osborne's shoes all these years later, has it?
Oh yeah, those days are coming back! If you weren't a fan when we were 4-8 last year, don't jump on the bandwagon now that we're 5-7.

For the playoffs: they need to have LSU be the number 1 seed, so they can play Utah or Baylor in the first round. Let Ohio State and Clemson beat each other up, then voila... another SEC title!
Old 12-02-2019, 02:53 PM

Apparently Chris Petersen has stepped down at the University of Washington.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
And wouldn't you know, here come the Clay Helton rumors.

Petersen has said in the past that he's not necessarily comfortable with the idea of coaching for big programs, but if he wants a shot at the national championship, USC is waiting.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Well, I'm a life-long Cleveland Browns fan, so constitutionally inclined to expect the worst from any team I root for. But while Georgia's defense is impressive, the offense isn't. (I mean, this is a team that lost to South Carolina, for heaven's sake; an opponent who, let us remember, later lost to Appalachian State.)

Burrow, in the mean time, just set the SEC record for single-season passing yards, with 4,366. He's averaging 11 yards per toss, with 41 touchdowns. And his completion percentage is 78.9%. Seventy-eight point nine percent. He's on track to set the NCAA record for completion percentage.

Fromm, on the other hand, has thrown for 2,385 yards this season, and is 194-for-314, which is a respectable but not brilliant 62%. He's averaging 7.6 yards per catch, with 21 touchdowns.

I know one player does not win a game, but the Dawgs have never passed the smell test for me this season (they fumbled a punt and lost an onside kick against Tech last weekend). Whereas LSU looks solid.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd love to be proven wrong and see the Silver Britches win the conference next week in Atlanta. But I'd be really surprised if they did.

TL;DR version - Jake Fromm is a good quarterback. Joe Burrow is a great quarterback.
I also think that LSU will win; however, Burrow has yet to face a tight game outside of Alabama, and they jumped out to a huge lead and they took advantage of a Bama pass defense that has been exposed this season (as it has been exposed in the past). Auburn in many ways gave LSU a much tougher contest and that's because they were able to use their pass rush, and they made running a challenge as well. I think UGA is more like Auburn and less like Bama, though you're right in saying they probably wish they had Bama's offense.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Looks like he is burned out , he is moving up to work for the AD at Washington.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

FSU has made no official announcement but the field had the paint refreshed today. Recruiting weekend is coming up, but rumors are that it's the backdrop to announce the coaching hire within the next day or two.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:18 PM

Utah v Oregon right now, PAC-12 title on the line, beaches!!!
Old 12-06-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
FSU has made no official announcement but the field had the paint refreshed today. Recruiting weekend is coming up, but rumors are that it's the backdrop to announce the coaching hire within the next day or two.
I will LOL if you get Campbell from ISU.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Rumors are it's Norvell from Memphis although Bob Stoops keeps coming up no matter how many times he says "ain't me". Personally I lean Norvell or why wait until after the weekend?
Old 12-07-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Ummmm....
Old 12-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

So coaching rumors for two schools on ESPN now:

Ole Miss supposedly getting Kiffin.

And, as mentioned above (but now being reported), FSU working on Norvell.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
So coaching rumors for two schools on ESPN now:

Ole Miss supposedly getting Kiffin.

And, as mentioned above (but now being reported), FSU working on Norvell.
If Kiffin couldn't win at USC, he's not going to competing for SEC titles in Oxford. I suspect the Rebs will have a few good seasons, might occasionally upset Alabama or LSU, but will probably follow it up with losses to Miss St and Arkansas.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:30 AM

Kiffin's father has been his DC lately but he's 79 so he may decide to retire
Old 12-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Utah v Oregon right now, PAC-12 title on the line, beaches!!!
Looks like Oregon ducked the Utes right up the tailpipe.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Looks like Oregon ducked the Utes right up the tailpipe.
Possibly ducking PAC12's best chance at making the playoff since they now have a 2 loss champion.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:04 PM

So far LSU looks clearly superior to Georgia, AFAICT.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Well, if Utah could not climb over Oregon, do they deserve to go to the playoffs?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, if Utah could not climb over Oregon, do they deserve to go to the playoffs?
As I've said a couple of times in this thread, nobody from the Pac-12 was playoff material this year, so I'm glad nobody will be going. I'll be very happy rooting for Oregon to beat Penn State in the Rose Bowl --- that should be a good game, and not an embarrassing blowout.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

AP has LSU #1

Coach's poll has LSU #1

Playoff committee has LSU #2 ?????

Are they blind?
Old 12-07-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
AP has LSU #1

Coach's poll has LSU #1

Playoff committee has LSU #2 ?????

Are they blind?
Russian hackers fucking with the computer models.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

HaHa. That's the only explanation!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Confirmed as true.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Nope. They probably didn't even with a win. A one loss conference champion would have been harder to ignore. They might have inspired much wailing and gnashing of fan teeth if they were left out. This just makes things simpler for the commitee.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Damn! Start of the second in the Big Ten game, and Wisconsin is playing #1 OSU tough! Up 14-0.

Quote:
I say if you don't win the conference, you have no business playing for the title. (Which is making this Big Ten game interesting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Nope. They probably didn't even with a win. A one loss conference champion would have been harder to ignore.
True, sadly. Utah really shit the bed last night.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 12-07-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I say if you don't win the conference, you have no business playing for the title.
Or if you play Furman or Stamford in the regular season.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Or if you play Furman or Stamford in the regular season.
The Oregon coach is getting some heat for not doing just that. If he had scheduled a cupcake instead of Auburn for his season opener, Oregon would be a one-loss conference champion, and with Georgia and OSU having bad days today, who knows?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:10 PM

I mean, the Buckeyes are probably going to come out from halftime and score 17 unanswered TDs in the second half, but, when was the last time they were behind after 2 quarters?
Old 12-07-2019, 11:24 PM

27 unanswered. But it was a loooong time.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I'll get it started:

Quack! Quack! = Croak! Croak!
Quack! Quack!= Rose Bowl!!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:33 PM

Utah? Playoff? Hell, No — Alamo!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:36 PM

Having said that I don’t understand all the people saying that Utah were never going to the playoff anyway. If the committee wasn’t going to pick them, why did it have them ranked that highly in the first place? Would have raised a huge stink if they’d won decisively and not gotten in.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 12-07-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
The Oregon coach is getting some heat for not doing just that.
Sorry, but what, perzactly, does the coach have to do with scheduling opponents? These college schedules are set up in yore-days, before these coaches are even a glint in daddy's pantaloons. To blame the coach for playing the wrong opponent is passing ridiculous.

Last edited by eschereal; 12-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:35 AM

Kind of amazing how nobody's talking about Clemson. All they do is destroy teams. Haven't lost a game in 2 years. Trevor Lawrence is arguably one of the elite arms in the country. Speed and power at nearly every position. Great coaching staff. They're easily the team I worry about most.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Kind of amazing how nobody's talking about Clemson. All they do is destroy teams. Haven't lost a game in 2 years. Trevor Lawrence is arguably one of the elite arms in the country. Speed and power at nearly every position. Great coaching staff. They're easily the team I worry about most.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but what, perzactly, does the coach have to do with scheduling opponents? These college schedules are set up in yore-days, before these coaches are even a glint in daddy's pantaloons. To blame the coach for playing the wrong opponent is passing ridiculous.
All I know is that after beating the Utes, when he was asked if he thought the Auburn game was a mistake in retrospect, Cristobal said that Oregon would continue to schedule top non-conference opponents, because they want to play the best and find out how good they are. How much say he actually has is up to his contract and the AD, I guess, but he's not wrong --- they are playing Ohio State in 2020 and 2021, and Georgia in 2022.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Well, for one thing, they aren't playing many ranked opponents. In fact, the only ranked team they've played this year was #23, and that was last night.

They may be the best team ever, but if they don't follow Oregon's lead and schedule some tough non-conference games, then I lose respect for them. It's easy to run up the score on cupcakes, and it's an advantage during the playoffs to have played weaker teams that don't hit as hard, so you have less (fewer) injuries.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
All I know is that after beating the Utes, when he was asked if he thought the Auburn game was a mistake in retrospect, Cristobal said that Oregon would continue to schedule top non-conference opponents, because they want to play the best and find out how good they are. How much say he actually has is up to his contract and the AD, I guess, but he's not wrong --- they are playing Ohio State in 2020 and 2021, and Georgia in 2022.
I think he's smart to do that. In general terms I'd back a team that lost a close game to a team like Auburn's before I'd back one that went unbeaten while playing nothing but a bunch of cupcakes.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 AM

My prediction for later: 1) LSU, 2) Ohio State, 3) Clemson, 4) Oklahoma.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, LSU's gonna stomp the Dawgs.
LSU routs Georgia 37-10

As I was saying....
Old 12-08-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
LSU routs Georgia 37-10

As I was saying....
I was surprised that Georgia played that badly. Something else that I noted was that Georgia receivers were able to get open early. They just didn't make plays, but they were open. LSU's coverage did make adjustments, and I was impressed with Aranda's play calling as the game evolved. But the difference between Clemson and Georgia is that Clemson's receivers might make those catches that Georgia's receivers whiffed on, which would potentially change the complexion of the game.

All of that cautiousness and hedging aside, I like LSU's chances against anyone if their defense is prepared. The opponents will have more offensive firepower than Georgia, but LSU has proven they can win shootouts, too.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:36 PM

Seems Missouri is hiring a guy who has only been a head coach one year to be their head coach and his one year was at Sun Belt school App State

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...c8df24d04.html
Old 12-15-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Bumped to add:

Go Navy!
Old 12-22-2019, 11:20 AM

So a decidedly mediocre team (Washington's) from a decidedly mediocre conference (the Pac-12) wiped the floor with the Mountain West Conference's champion last night, eh? What do all of you "Group of 5" fans have to say about that?
Old 12-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Well, for one thing, they aren't playing many ranked opponents. In fact, the only ranked team they've played this year was #23, and that was last night.

They may be the best team ever, but if they don't follow Oregon's lead and schedule some tough non-conference games, then I lose respect for them. It's easy to run up the score on cupcakes, and it's an advantage during the playoffs to have played weaker teams that don't hit as hard, so you have less (fewer) injuries.
I expect LSU's team to REAM Oklahoma's (even more so, now, with so many Sooners declared OUT for that contest) but Ohio State vs. Clemson should be interesting. The football team from THE Ohio State University has faced, by FAR, the tougher competition this year, but on the other hand Clemson's coach and team have been through these battles before while the same can't really be said of Ohio State's team. I expect that one to be a real knock-down, drag-out affair.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:25 AM

I don't think Boise St was very motivated in that game , they were really hoping to get a Cotton bowl bid but their loss to BYU meant Memphis was ranked higher and got the Cotton bid.

For most games BSU have done very well vs. power 5 teams and won quite a few of those games including 2 Fiesta bowl wins. Quite a few power 5 teams have no major bowl wins like the Fiesta.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I don't think Boise St was very motivated in that game.
A ha! That's been my exact argument about their opponents all these years when people want to bring up all of their "impressive" non-conference or bowl wins. So now when BSU gets REAMED by a so-so team from another conference "level of motivation" is now "a thing" whereas when THEY win those games it's merely an "excuse" that's used by the teams they beat?
Old 12-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
For most games BSU have done very well vs. power 5 teams and won quite a few of those games including 2 Fiesta bowl wins. Quite a few power 5 teams have no major bowl wins like the Fiesta.
I've been watching college football for nearly 60 years, and the single most entertaining play I've seen was of course the Cal-Stanford band-on-the-field play.

But the most entertaining game I've seen was the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, when BSU beat favored Oklahoma.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:24 AM

I had a feeling all season that Pac-12 football simply wasn't very good. USC's clunker against Iowa tonight certainly doesn't do anything to dispel that notion.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:15 PM

The Best ACC officials missed that Passed Interference penalty??? Holy Toledo!

Barring that, Joe Burreaux showing why he was the Heisman Winner. At 6'4" he will be highly coveted in the draft,

Hope the Clemson-tOSU game is closer.

Go Clemson.