Old 12-28-2019, 09:20 PM

I kinda felt like LSU won the game before it even started when OU suspended all their best defensive players. Even at full strength OU would have had their hands full against LSU and the would have likely given up 40+ points for the game, but with their offense, they might have been able to make it interesting late - that was their most realistic way of beating LSU. But when they lost whatever defense they had, holding Burrow's attack to under 45 points was much less likely. LSU could have scored 70-75 points tonight if they had needed to.

The winner of OSU and Clemson (looking like OSU right now) will obviously be a much tougher opponent.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:50 PM

How in the hell does Ohio State's coaching staff allow anyone near the kicker when they're backed up near their own end zone? That's on the coaching staff.

The other story is that Clemson's speed is starting to outmatch OSU's strength advantage. OSU can't fall behind by any more than where they're at now or it's over.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
The Best ACC officials missed that Passed Interference penalty??? Holy Toledo!
Yeah, it doesn't look like it would have made much difference, but for the BCS semis and final, they should have "New York" review controversial plays, and overrule the refs if they turn out to be stupid, blind, and on the take.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:40 PM

I'm tired of Clemson being in the title game year after year, so let's hope Ohio State seals it here.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 AM

I think the first 15 minutes will tell the tale. Can LSU walk on the field and not be in awe of Clemson's greatness? They passed a similar test this year when they went into Tuscaloosa and dominated Bama. But Bama's not the same bama; Clemson, OTOH, is the best they've ever been.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:26 AM

This Bengals fan couldn't be happier with the outcome of that LSU game. Even Mike Brown can't fuck this draft up, right?
Old 12-29-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I'm tired of Clemson being in the title game year after year, so let's hope Ohio State seals it here.
The Buckeyes DEFINITELY had their chances to win their game. Unlike that team from Norman in the other national semifinal.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I think the first 15 minutes will tell the tale. Can LSU walk on the field and not be in awe of Clemson's greatness? They passed a similar test this year when they went into Tuscaloosa and dominated Bama. But Bama's not the same bama; Clemson, OTOH, is the best they've ever been.
How in the world would the #1 team in football that's defeated lots of ranked (many top 10) programs in the SEC be "in awe" of Clemson?

At any rate, I do feel this is a better matchup from a fan's perspective that is only invested in Burrow as a Bengals fan. It should be a QB matchup for the ages honestly.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
How in the world would the #1 team in football that's defeated lots of ranked (many top 10) programs in the SEC be "in awe" of Clemson?

At any rate, I do feel this is a better matchup from a fan's perspective that is only invested in Burrow as a Bengals fan. It should be a QB matchup for the ages honestly.
Clemson is arguably among the top five greatest college football teams in 125 years of the sport, and that is not hyperbole. What Clemson has accomplished over the last 5 years is something that few programs have ever achieved, particularly when you consider the extra hurdle that teams have to jump over to win a championship. Clemson hasn't lost a game in 2 effing years, and it's not like they lost more than 2 in any of the previous 4 years. Over the last few years, Clemson is about as close to the John Wooden UCLA Bruins or Joe Torre NY Yankees of college football as you can get.

LSU knows that Clemson is a different beast. I don't think they're in awe of them, but I think that, mentally, they need the first 15 minutes of football to go well more than Clemson does. Clemson knows that they can recover from a deficit. As great as LSU is, they don't have that knowledge about themselves because they've never been tested.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
That puzzled me, too. LSU is favored by five points, and IMO Clemson would have a couple of losses if they had played LSU's schedule this year.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
This Bengals fan couldn't be happier with the outcome of that LSU game. Even Mike Brown can't fuck this draft up, right?
Bengals Burrow jerseys are already being customized in advance.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
That puzzled me, too. LSU is favored by five points, and IMO Clemson would have a couple of losses if they had played LSU's schedule this year.
Yeah, but they torched Alabama last year and beat Ohio State this year, too. Clemson hasn't lost a game since January 2018. And they didn't lose that many in the 2 years before then. Clemson is "the shit."
Old 12-30-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Clemson is arguably among the top five greatest college football teams in 125 years of the sport, and that is not hyperbole. What Clemson has accomplished over the last 5 years is something that few programs have ever achieved, particularly when you consider the extra hurdle that teams have to jump over to win a championship. Clemson hasn't lost a game in 2 effing years, and it's not like they lost more than 2 in any of the previous 4 years. Over the last few years, Clemson is about as close to the John Wooden UCLA Bruins or Joe Torre NY Yankees of college football as you can get.

LSU knows that Clemson is a different beast. I don't think they're in awe of them, but I think that, mentally, they need the first 15 minutes of football to go well more than Clemson does. Clemson knows that they can recover from a deficit. As great as LSU is, they don't have that knowledge about themselves because they've never been tested.
Clemson has "been there, done that" while LSU played in by FAR the stronger conference. Should be a great one on the 13th!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
I had a feeling all season that Pac-12 football simply wasn't very good. USC's clunker against Iowa tonight certainly doesn't do anything to dispel that notion.
They haven't looked that bad so far, considering the relative rankings. Unranked UW beat #19 BSU convincingly. USC didn't look good against Iowa, but Iowa was supposed to win, #16 against #22, with a better record. Wazzu kept it fairly close against Air Force, even though they were 6-6 to AF's !0-2. And Cal beat UI by 15 with only a slightly better won-loss record. I'd say none of those were big surprises, and the Pac-12 didn't lose any games it looked like it should have won.

Today we have ASU vs FSU, which is a pickem, and Utah against Texas, which Utah absolutely better win to give the Pac-12 credibility. And tomorrow, Oregon against Wisconsin, #6 vs #8. If Utah and Oregon both lose badly, then I'll barricade myself in my house and eat ice cream till I pass out.

PS What genius decided unranked, 7-5 Iowa State would make a good match for #15, 10-2 Notre Dame?
Old 01-01-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Today we have ASU vs FSU, which is a pickem, and Utah against Texas, which Utah absolutely better win to give the Pac-12 credibility.
Wow, what a horrible last two games for the Utes. I don't follow them, and I didn't watch the game, but glancing through the google I don't see any stories about key players injured or DQd, so this just sucks for the Pac-12. It's all up to Oregon tomorrow to win back some respect.

My boyfriend's back, he's gonna save my reputation...
Old 01-01-2020, 03:29 AM

Quote:
They haven't looked that bad so far, considering the relative rankings.
I couldn't disagree more. All season people outside of Pac-12 country were saying how poor the Pac-12 is and I live in Pac-12 country and I feel exactly the same way about that. If it'd been up to me only three Pac-12 teams would've been extended bowl invitations and after the latest results even that may have been too many.
Quote:
Unranked UW beat #19 BSU convincingly.
As another poster put it "B.S.U. didn't have much motivation as they were hoping to get a Cotton Bowl bid and felt let down after they didn't get it." I'm not here to defend B.S.U. (not in the least) but I just don't think that beating the Mountain West champions is really all that much of an accomplishment if the opponent is from a so-called "Power" conference.
Quote:
USC didn't look good against Iowa, but Iowa was supposed to win, #16 against #22, with a better record.
It wasn't just the score, though. U.S.C. (somehow - I would say, "Because the Pac-12 simply wasn't that good this year") went 7 - 2 in conference play and effectively finished in 3rd place in the Pac-12 and then laid an egg against what was, what? The 5th or 6th best team in the B1G? USC rushed for only 22 yards against Iowa; Iowa averaged 20 PPG against B1G competition but scored nearly 50 against USC; and that was the most points given up by USC AND the most lopsided loss by USC in a bowl game since they lost a Rose Bowl in the late 1940s to Michigan, 0 - 49. Not a good showing by the (formerly) formidable Trojans, to say the least.
Quote:
Wazzu kept it fairly close against Air Force, even though they were 6-6 to AF's !0-2.
The moment WSU lost to (pitiful) UCLA after leading the Bruins BY 32 POINTS IN THE 3RD QUARTER (at home, no less!) they should've been disqualified from any post-season consideration, in my opinion.
Quote:
And Cal beat UI by 15 with only a slightly better won-loss record.
In the old days neither one of those teams would've even been given a look in terms of being offered a chance to play in a bowl game.
Quote:
I'd say none of those were big surprises, and the Pac-12 didn't lose any games it looked like it should have won.
Were any Pac-12 teams favored in any of their bowls?

Quote:
Today we have ASU vs FSU, which is a pickem, and Utah against Texas, which Utah absolutely better win to give the Pac-12 credibility.
I don't follow college football as closely as I used to but by what I've seen on this board it looks like Utah lost, and badly, to so-so Texas.
Quote:
And tomorrow, Oregon against Wisconsin, #6 vs #8. If Utah and Oregon both lose badly, then I'll barricade myself in my house and eat ice cream till I pass out.
One down, one to go!

Quote:
PS What genius decided unranked, 7-5 Iowa State would make a good match for #15, 10-2 Notre Dame?
I asked the very same question of some of my buddies via text the day that game was being played. One of them responded, basically, that "despite the relative proximity of the two campuses Notre Dame and I.S.U. had never met on the football field" and "you don't decline a chance at a bowl game being played in Texas or Florida (i.e. "fertile recruiting territory") no matter the competition." I can kinda see his point but, like you, I think that was a poor match-up. A much better one, in my opinion, would've been putting the Iowa team that roughed USC up against Notre Dame.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I know I need to get off my own lawn, but I miss the days of New Years Day bowl games that meant something. The playoffs really have made college football less interesting. Plus, once NFL playoffs have started. Iím mentally done with college football.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I know I need to get off my own lawn, but I miss the days of New Years Day bowl games that meant something. The playoffs really have made college football less interesting. Plus, once NFL playoffs have started. Iím mentally done with college football.
I couldn't agree more. That's one (unfortunate?) by-product of college football having a playoff: it renders all other bowl games - even formerly prestigious ones - pretty much meaningless.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
They haven't looked that bad so far, considering the relative rankings.
When you're called "The Conference of Champions" (although I'm not sure how accurate that is these days, unless you're talking about ALL sports, not just football and men's basketball) if you're hanging your hat on a bowl win over a "Group of Five" conference champion, a middling (at BEST) team from a fellow "Power" conference, and a win over a team that has now endured back-to-back losing seasons for the first time in 43 years, then that's pretty hollow, in my estimation. In my opinion that team from Eugene is the only one that can restore a little pride to the Pac-12 in terms of its football with a win in today's Rose Bowl (and, personally, I hope they don't get it).
Old 01-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. That's one (unfortunate?) by-product of college football having a playoff: it renders all other bowl games - even formerly prestigious ones - pretty much meaningless.
Plus the explosion of bowl games and the move to ESPN for just about all of them. That makes it hard for cord cutters.
Having the bowls on New Years Day was kind of a nice way to wrap up the holiday season before returning to work or school. Now, having the national championship right after NFL playoffs just seems weird. It seems like going to a Christmas party or NYE party in early January.
Also, maybe Iím nostalgic for going back to school or the office on Jan 2 and having the #1 team arguments most years.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Plus the explosion of bowl games and the move to ESPN for just about all of them. That makes it hard for cord cutters.
Having the bowls on New Years Day was kind of a nice way to wrap up the holiday season before returning to work or school. Now, having the national championship right after NFL playoffs just seems weird. It seems like going to a Christmas party or NYE party in early January.
Also, maybe Iím nostalgic for going back to school or the office on Jan 2 and having the #1 team arguments most years.
I don't have a problem with there being a playoff but as far as I'm concerned four teams in it simply isn't enough. If it doesn't have enough teams in it to bring in, at the very least, champions of all five so-called "Power" conferences, then what's the point? Without that they may as well go back to the old method of leaving it strictly up to voters and give people like you a chance to debate, on January 2nd, which team really WAS the best one that season.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Wow, what a horrible last two games for the Utes. I don't follow them, and I didn't watch the game, but glancing through the google I don't see any stories about key players injured or DQd, so this just sucks for the Pac-12. It's all up to Oregon tomorrow to win back some respect.

My boyfriend's back, he's gonna save my reputation...
Ooh ooh ooh ooh, my boyfriend quacks...
Old 01-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Playoff be damned, this is THE FUCKING ROSE BOWL. Get hyped!!!
Old 01-01-2020, 05:04 PM

And yes, the PAC-12 leads all conferences in total NCAA championships won in all sports, hence the “Conference of Champions”.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 01-01-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:21 PM

Well I am surprised by the Michigan game, not by the final score, but by how it got there. Michigan was the better team for 3 quarters. If Patterson could have thrown to a route more than 10 yards downfield, without over throwing it by 5 yards(although he did hit the CB in perfect stride on that one I have to admit), they would have been up by 20.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:25 PM

My life as a Duck would be much happier if I could somehow learn to give a shit about track and field...
Old 01-01-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
My life as a Duck would be much happier if I could somehow learn to give a shit about track and field...
Lol! While I know itís televised, itís definitely one of those sports that only gets attention during the Olympics. I guess it provides programming for all the regional and conference sports channels that need something to fill their time slots.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't have a problem with there being a playoff but as far as I'm concerned four teams in it simply isn't enough. If it doesn't have enough teams in it to bring in, at the very least, champions of all five so-called "Power" conferences, then what's the point? Without that they may as well go back to the old method of leaving it strictly up to voters and give people like you a chance to debate, on January 2nd, which team really WAS the best one that season.
Iíd be fine scrapping the playoffs. Expanding the playoffs means youíre tapping the alumni base for yet another trip and most pockets arenít that deep. And, depending on the expanded playoff system you could end up with two southern teams playing a first round in California.

Thereís really no good way to do it, Iím fine with going back to arguing.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:02 PM

The playoffs should be expanded so that D1 is the same as every other division. 16 teams.

My big bitch today is that only one game was on broadcast TV. I really hate ESPNs attachment to the bowl games. It is crap that the Rose Bowl isn't on ABC and that only the Outback bowl was available for me to watch today on a day that should be nonstop college football.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
The playoffs should be expanded so that D1 is the same as every other division. 16 teams.
I don't think the NCAA really wants some teams to play 17 - possibly 18 - games in a season. Besides, if the tournament is expanded, almost certainly the NCAA will demand that it take control of it, which means it also takes control of the money.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:36 PM

I was among those who wanted the current plus one format, and in the past I've been in favor of going to an 8-team playoff. But my faith in an improved fan experience was based on the assumption that NCAA (and its conferences, and its media sponsors) wouldn't fuck it all up, which they unfortunately have.

An older fart like me remembers the time when no games of consequence were before January 1. Nowadays, they change the dates every year. They change the bowls -- I don't remember the Peach Bowl ever meaning anything beyond bragging rights. I remember when the Cotton Bowl was relatively important. And the worst part of the playoffs is that all of the other major bowls are watered down -- or at least they seem that way.

An expanded playoff won't help college football; it'll just make the season longer and the regular season games will be less important.

Last edited by asahi; 01-01-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I don't think the NCAA really wants some teams to play 17 - possibly 18 - games in a season. Besides, if the tournament is expanded, almost certainly the NCAA will demand that it take control of it, which means it also takes control of the money.
DII plays a 11 game regular season with up to 5 games of playoffs. I don't see why that's even slightly difficult for D1, take LSU's 2020 schedule they play 12 games over 13 weeks and two of those games are against UT San Antonio and Nicholls either of which could be dropped and both probably should be.

NCAA gets a cut from the bowl games already who cares if they get a cut from the playoffs. In DII the host split the revenue with visitors and I believe that the conference teams get a cut too based on the conference agreement.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Yeah, nobody is going to want to watch those 1 v 16 games. I agree that there was something to just having a pant load of games on Jan 1 and calling it good. Bring back the BCS algorithm!’
Old 01-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and another thing, the players sitting out would become a huge issue. ‘Yeah, coach, I’m not going to play in the Potato Bowl in Boise vs some 16 seed and risk blowing out a knee and pissing away an NFL contract’
Old 01-01-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, nobody is going to want to watch those 1 v 16 games. I agree that there was something to just having a pant load of games on Jan 1 and calling it good. Bring back the BCS algorithm!’
In D2 this year one out of the four #1 seeds were upset. If you think no one would watch OU vs Penn State, Notre Dame v Clemson, Ohio state/ Memphis or LSU / Minnesota first round you live in a different college football world than I do.

Last edited by Oredigger77; 01-01-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:00 PM

Those sound more like 8 team playoff matchups. 16 teams would have LSU and Clemson playing the champions of the Sun Belt and Mountain West.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, and another thing, the players sitting out would become a huge issue. ĎYeah, coach, Iím not going to play in the Potato Bowl in Boise vs some 16 seed and risk blowing out a knee and pissing away an NFL contractí
Right, that's why they sit out garbage games currently. They sit games now because winning a bowl game doesn't matter but playing in the tournament and the only way to win a national championship does. Unless a coach decides that Notre Dame is such a walkover they don't need their starters.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:09 PM

At least every 16 team proposal I’ve heard calls for letting all the D1 conference champions in.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Those sound more like 8 team playoff matchups. 16 teams would have LSU and Clemson playing the champions of the Sun Belt and Mountain West.
Not necessarily I put the top 4 against 13- 16. The way D2 does it is to break the country into 4 regions and then seed each region based on the rankings in the region. I think giving the power 5 conference champs get auto bids is a good idea but the next 11 should be based on the rankings.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In D2 this year one out of the four #1 seeds were upset. If you think no one would watch OU vs Penn State, Notre Dame v Clemson, Ohio state/ Memphis or LSU / Minnesota first round you live in a different college football world than I do.
But would people travel to see them? The alumni budget only stretches so far, especially around the holidays.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:36 PM

D2 teams seem to travel pretty well. Of course the higher seed gets to host so only one teams fan base is traveling but if anything teams seem to travel better in the playoff. That is one of the reason for the regional seeding in D2 so you don't have to travel that far. I don't see any reason to go neutral site until the championship.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Mighty oregon!!!

Last edited by Thing Fish; 01-01-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:02 PM

Nm

Last edited by Thing Fish; 01-01-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:12 PM

Not exactly the Quack Attack, but I'll take it.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
D2 teams seem to travel pretty well. Of course the higher seed gets to host so only one teams fan base is traveling but if anything teams seem to travel better in the playoff. That is one of the reason for the regional seeding in D2 so you don't have to travel that far. I don't see any reason to go neutral site until the championship.
I know nothing of D2 but I can definitely tell you about schools like Florida State (who may be relevant in football again one day) FSU has a large alumni base and a lot of them in Florida or Georgia but very few in Tallahassee itself. So the home team alumni have to drive in and the big Florida cities arenít near Tallahassee so they have to stay overnight especially if itís a night game. And thatís on top of the visiting team. So, hotel demand in a small city like Tallahassee goes way through the roof and itís a bitter pill to swallow paying a high price for a Courtyard Marriott in Tallahassee. Sure thereís some alumni with deep pockets or have some sort of corporate deal with the hotel, but the average alum doesnít.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:27 AM

I'm certainly not going to pretend D2 attendance is anything like D1A attendance but at worst your argument breaks down to so many people come to games they charge a fortune for tickets and hotels so no one can afford to come. If people couldn't afford to come prices would drop since there would be less demand. In reality, we see professional sports teams fan base turn out for home and away playoff games and we typically see ticket prices increase the deeper into the playoffs you go. Maybe any single fan won't be able to afford 4 more home games but for a team that is good enough to have four home games (only 2 in the country) I'm sure it will sell out.

Let's looks at FSU's 2020 schedule, you've got 11 games with 7 home games. The first thing to do is to drop Samford from your schedule and then the alumni can afford to the first home playoff game withing increasing their annual cost. After that you've got to be in the top 4 to host a game. If anything I'd guess that home games in round two sell better than the Sun Bowl tickets.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it would. Hayward Field is holy ground for track and field.
ďIt may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.Ē
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 AM

If they're going to keep the 4 team playoff, I suggest one tweak: Conferences represented by the 4 teams should be ineligible to provide officiating for any game. This year, the SEC crew working the OSU-Clemson game made a few questionable calls that cost the Buckeyes their trip to the final, allowing LSU to play a weaker Clemson team in the final. It has the appearance of the crew tipping the scales to benefit their conference team, whether or not they intentionally did so. Maybe have D2 conferences provide the crews for all playoff games.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm certainly not going to pretend D2 attendance is anything like D1A attendance but at worst your argument breaks down to so many people come to games they charge a fortune for tickets and hotels so no one can afford to come. If people couldn't afford to come prices would drop since there would be less demand. In reality, we see professional sports teams fan base turn out for home and away playoff games and we typically see ticket prices increase the deeper into the playoffs you go. Maybe any single fan won't be able to afford 4 more home games but for a team that is good enough to have four home games (only 2 in the country) I'm sure it will sell out.

Let's looks at FSU's 2020 schedule, you've got 11 games with 7 home games. The first thing to do is to drop Samford from your schedule and then the alumni can afford to the first home playoff game withing increasing their annual cost. After that you've got to be in the top 4 to host a game. If anything I'd guess that home games in round two sell better than the Sun Bowl tickets.
True, but the cupcake games are what keeps those smaller schools alive and able to support an expensive football program.

Also, youíd be pushing the schedule forward into the holiday period.

And itís interesting, I didnít think one second about going to the Sun Bowl. Thereís nothing appealing about El Paso (except maybe the food) and I wasnít going to spend the money to see two mediocre college teams.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
NCAA gets a cut from the bowl games already who cares if they get a cut from the playoffs. In DII the host split the revenue with visitors and I believe that the conference teams get a cut too based on the conference agreement.
"Who cares"? The Power 5 conferences certainly do. They saw what the NCAA did with the men's basketball tournament money - half of which goes to schools based on factors that have nothing to do with how well the men's basketball team does - and they're not about to let that happen to the football money. Also note that, strictly speaking, the CFP championship game is not a "bowl game."

And since when does the NCAA not pocket 100% of the profits (after expenses) of every tournament game in every sport other than FBS football (which it doesn't run) and Division I men's basketball?