Old 11-15-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
If Sumo Baseball is a thing then Dae-Ho Lee could make a return to the MLB. Heís built for that kind of play; his belly even has its own Twitter account:
https://mobile.twitter.com/daeholeesbelly
Could he make it to the pitcher's mound before the catcher tackled him? Could he break that tackle?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Could he make it to the pitcher's mound before the catcher tackled him? Could he break that tackle?
Maybe. Heís not fast but heís big, and that might give him momentum. Plus you canít get your arms around him easily. I just think, if you have Sumo Baseball, you can use a hybrid Sumo/Hitter.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Maybe. Heís not fast but heís big, and that might give him momentum. Plus you canít get your arms around him easily. I just think, if you have Sumo Baseball, you can use a hybrid Sumo/Hitter.
In theory, the 3rd baseman would be able to play strong safety if he was fast enough. But the catcher knows when the inside pitch is coming so he will have the jump.

What would happen on a dropped third strike on an inside pitch?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 PM

Looking at old random box scores for various (work-related!) reasons, I came across this game from mid-July, 2001, in which Randy Johnson came in to relieve Curt Schilling after two innings - they pitched a joint shut-out and I believe Johnson holds the record for strikeouts recorded in relief in a game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00107180.shtml

Any D-back or Padres fans remember the game? I guess Schilling must have gotten hurt or something? Why the hell was Johnson available in relief in a random regular-season game in late July?

Last edited by Tom Scud; 11-15-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Answering my own question: the game had been suspended after two innings due to an electrical problem, and the following day was completed as part of a double-header. Johnson was scheduled to start anyway, and he was used as a relief pitcher in the first game instead to take advantage of the previous day's lineup being overloaded with lefty hitters.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
An Astros front-office executive wrote about the teamís desire to steal signs in an August 2017 email that was obtained by The Athletic. As the club discussed its advance scouting plans ahead of the playoffs, the executive asked the teamís scouts to pursue sign stealing from the stands, and suggested cameras could be used to do so.

ďOne thing in specific we are looking for is picking up signs coming out of the dugout,Ē the emailís sender wrote in a message from August of 2017. ďWhat we are looking for is how much we can see, how we would log things, if we need cameras/binoculars, etc. So go to game, see what you can (or canít) do and report back your findings.Ē

The email was sent to multiple people and provided to The Athletic on the condition that both its sender and recipients remain unnamed.
Astros exec asked scouts for help stealing signs and suggested using cameras, email shows (The Athletic; paywall)

I don't think the Astros are the only ones stealing signs. But the growing mountain of evidence against them is becoming so egregious that I think MLB has to come down on them like a ton of bricks. Every day brings a follow-up story more ridiculous than the last. And it says something about how disliked they are that so many people are willing to rat them out and hand over evidence to journalists.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Astros exec asked scouts for help stealing signs and suggested using cameras, email shows (The Athletic; paywall)

I don't think the Astros are the only ones stealing signs. But the growing mountain of evidence against them is becoming so egregious that I think MLB has to come down on them like a ton of bricks. Every day brings a follow-up story more ridiculous than the last. And it says something about how disliked they are that so many people are willing to rat them out and hand over evidence to journalists.
I don't see how the owners could not have been aware. Impose penalties on the team (hefty fine, take away draft picks, reduce luxury cap, reduce international money, no home games, no post season, etc.). Then make the owners sell the team in that condition.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Jays Fan

A few lifetime banishments from baseball would send a solid message.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:15 AM

I've also been hearing about Milwaukee, and I have my doubts that it will stop there. After penalties are assigned (and I agree, heavy suspensions at the very least are appropriate), I think the best reform to the game will be just to give each dugout live video feed of the catcher & opposing dugout (from the field). If everyone has the info, everyone can take it into account and do whatever is needed to mix up the signals and so forth.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
I've also been hearing about Milwaukee, and I have my doubts that it will stop there. After penalties are assigned (and I agree, heavy suspensions at the very least are appropriate), I think the best reform to the game will be just to give each dugout live video feed of the catcher & opposing dugout (from the field). If everyone has the info, everyone can take it into account and do whatever is needed to mix up the signals and so forth.
At this point, I think you just give the pitcher and catcher head sets or some other way to communicate directly.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyeop View Post
At this point, I think you just give the pitcher and catcher head sets or some other way to communicate directly.
Is it really that hard to police?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
My understanding is that Washington's offer has a lot of the dough as deferred money, so it's entirely possible Rendon could be lured away by an equal or even slightly cheaper off if the money is actually all paid during the term of the contract.

A huge $30m/year contract to Rendon will probably be a disaster. He's a terrific player, but 2019 was the best year he has ever had, and he's 30 next year, so the odds are very heavy that he will have no other years as great as 2019. The majority of huge contracts to position players are disasters. It blows up in your face far more often than not.
The Rendon offer was 210-215 million for 7 years but paid out over 14 years. I am hearing that this offer will expire soon or has expired already. I am also hearing that the Nats are talking to Moustakas, no real surprise there.

Finally, I am hearing that the Nats are talking to the Red Sox about a trade for Mookie Betts' if they can reach an understanding with Mookie regarding an extension. But then again, everybody is probably talking to the Red Sox about Mookie Betts.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
The Rendon offer was 210-215 million for 7 years but paid out over 14 years. I am hearing that this offer will expire soon or has expired already. I am also hearing that the Nats are talking to Moustakas, no real surprise there.

Finally, I am hearing that the Nats are talking to the Red Sox about a trade for Mookie Betts' if they can reach an understanding with Mookie regarding an extension. But then again, everybody is probably talking to the Red Sox about Mookie Betts.
As much as I like Rendon, I'm not sure the money couldn't be better spent. Let's say they get Moustakas for 10-12 per year. They could still get Strasburg, Bumgarner, Hudson and another similar reliever, Zimmerman and a platoon partner, someone like Cabrera to play second if Kieboom isn't ready, and Gomes at a reduced rate.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I don't have a cite for you, but I watched about 60% of the Nats' games both this summer and in 2018. The difference in the dugout atmosphere was blatantly obvious.
Were you in the dugout or clubhouse? I'm finding this less than convincing.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
Were you in the dugout or clubhouse? I'm finding this less than convincing.
His cite is the Nats record after their 24-33 start to 2019 and their playoff run.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
His cite is the Nats record after their 24-33 start to 2019 and their playoff run.
19-31, but who's counting?

It was a magical run in a magical year. Bryce can hit but he brought no magic.

Last edited by jaycat; 11-19-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
As much as I like Rendon, I'm not sure the money couldn't be better spent. Let's say they get Moustakas for 10-12 per year. They could still get Strasburg, Bumgarner, Hudson and another similar reliever, Zimmerman and a platoon partner, someone like Cabrera to play second if Kieboom isn't ready, and Gomes at a reduced rate.
Then you are left with a hole in the lineup?

I know the Nats (like everyone with any salary cap room) are talking to the sox about Mookie betts. If the Nats get Mookie Betts, they can ditch Rendon. But Mookie is going to be 27 million next year on a 1 year contract.

Bats with good gloves are not cheap. Sure pitching is important but good offense and fielding helps take some of the pressure off the pitching.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
19-31, but who's counting?

It was a magical run in a magical year. Bryce can hit but he brought no magic.
A lot of it wasn't just the absence of Harper, it was also the presence of players like Parra. Parra is going to Japan for 2 million.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...yomiuri-giants
Old 11-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Awh! I'm gonna miss Parra and Baby Shark.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Let the pitcher call the game. Theres more he can do to establish signals and a code.

Catchers are kinda limited...well from what weve seen them do. They could do all kinds of stuff other than fingers.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Jacoby Ellsbury released.

A Scott Boras Client that signed for 7 years $153MM contract in 2013 has been cut by the Yankees after several years of injuries and lack of production. The Yankees will be paying him $26 MM to sit at home next year.

A cautionary tale.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Ellsbury wasn't a malingerer by all accounts, so just some bad luck. He had hip surgery in 2018 and is hoping to be into playing shape by spring training. He wants to play in 2020 and perhaps someone will take him on as a fourth outfielder for the league minimum salary. I wish him well.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Ellsbury wasn't a malingerer by all accounts, so just some bad luck. He had hip surgery in 2018 and is hoping to be into playing shape by spring training. He wants to play in 2020 and perhaps someone will take him on as a fourth outfielder for the league minimum salary. I wish him well.
But he was an extreme disappointment and a stupid signing at the time.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Reds sign Moustakas!
Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 AM

Probably not a good idea to expect much in the way of Red Sox upgrades this offseason, given their trade salary dump of Sandy Leon.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Reds sign Moustakas!
Yeah, this makes Rendon more expensive. Now there is only Rendon and Donaldson left with at least 3 teams in the mix.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The Reds apparently plan to have Moustakas play second. He's not bad there, but I have my concerns about any 30-year-old player on a big deal who doesn't get on base a lot.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Zack Wheeler to the Phillies for 5 years/$118 million.

I couldn't decide if I wanted the Yanks to go after him or not. People still talk about him reaching his potential someday, even though he's entering his age 30 season. Hopefully it will work out because I'm rooting for Girardi a little bit.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:09 PM

I'm starting to get a little concerned that the Nats won't get either Rendon or Strasburg back. If they don't get Rendon, they absolutely need to get Donaldson.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to get a little concerned that the Nats won't get either Rendon or Strasburg back. . . .
Patience, grasshopper.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

I couldn't decide if I wanted the Yanks to go after him or not. People still talk about him reaching his potential someday, even though he's entering his age 30 season. Hopefully it will work out because I'm rooting for Girardi a little bit.
Wheeler is 30 years old and has a history of injury but no history of greatness. Neither of which could be called great. The deal is nuts. It's Darren Driefort 2.0.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:23 PM

Tom Verducci lets rip on the idiotic 'three batter minimum rule' proposed for next season. A final decision hasn't been made yet, but the move has almost no support among players, managers and coaches. A few data point highlights:

Quote:
Relief appearances of one or two batters are going down, not up. They have gone down three of the past four years. In 2019 they fell 16% from just four years ago, reaching an 11-year low.
Quote:
Only one of 48 pitching changes in the ( 2019) World Series would have been impacted by the rule.
Quote:
The proposed rule would eliminate one mid-inning pitching change every three or four games. Thatís it. Total time per game ďsavedĒ over a year: 44 seconds.
There just wouldn't be enough time saved to justify such a radical alteration of baseball strategy.

Verducci goes on to point the real pace of play culprit (besides commercial breaks): pitchers and batters futzing around between pitches. Either umpires need to enforce 'play ball' or MLB needs a pitch clock. And after that, robo umps.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:05 AM

Cole Hamels to Atlanta. $18 mil/1 year

Last edited by Superdude; 12-05-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Big news yesterday that the Mets are being sold to minority shareholder Steve Cohen. He's a hedge fund billionaire and speculation is that he'll change the Mets current strategy of penny pinching, though the Wilpons will supposedly remain in management positions for the next 5 years.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Big news yesterday that the Mets are being sold to minority shareholder Steve Cohen. He's a hedge fund billionaire and speculation is that he'll change the Mets current strategy of penny pinching, though the Wilpons will supposedly remain in management positions for the next 5 years.
Wow, amazing. The Mets need this in the worst way.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Wow, amazing. The Mets need this in the worst way.
Not so good. The Mets are stuck with the Wilpons for another five years, then they'll be controlled by a guy whose hedge fund got fined $1.8 billion over insider trading (also pleading guilty to fraud charges).

One hopes the Mets won't go from being victimized by Bernie Madoff to being run by Madoff II.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Wheeler is 30 years old and has a history of injury but no history of greatness. Neither of which could be called great. The deal is nuts. It's Darren Driefort 2.0.
Yeah, I guess he could theoretically be the next Charlie Morton, but Morton was signed on a cheap(ish) two-year deal when he was a guy with intriguing upside but limited demonstrated ability.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:

And Wheeler apparently turned down more money from the White Sox. The money that was being talked about had me wondering if this was a different Zack Wheeler than the guy I know of from the Mets. If he had signed for half of that it would felt more right to me. Man, what is Gerrit Cole going to get?
Old 12-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Verducci goes on to point the real pace of play culprit (besides commercial breaks): pitchers and batters futzing around between pitches. Either umpires need to enforce 'play ball' or MLB needs a pitch clock. And after that, robo umps.
I agree. You do not have to fix your batting gloves after every pitch. And if you do, you are wearing the wrong size; sorry but your tiny hands need child size gloves.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:16 PM

There's a guy on the Yankees, Mike Ford, who does batting glove pantomime between every single pitch. Drives me bonkers. Just as bad are the Sunday strollers who think an at-bat is the perfect time for a walking tour of foul territory.

The Verducci article mentions the other time-chewing culprits: pitchers. The worst offender is Jose Alvarado of Tampa Bay. He averages 31.9 seconds between pitches. I swear, umps should be equipped with cattle prods.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
And Wheeler apparently turned down more money from the White Sox. The money that was being talked about had me wondering if this was a different Zack Wheeler than the guy I know of from the Mets. If he had signed for half of that it would felt more right to me. Man, what is Gerrit Cole going to get?
I think you are all underrating Wheeler. He had a major injury and it took him a while to recover, but the last two years he made 60 starts with a FIP of like 3.35. That's pretty good. He doesn't look as dominate because the Mets decided that defense ability is optional, but stuff is still elite. He looks like a two starter with upside, which isn't commonly available. That seems a reasonable use of 22 million a year in modern baseball.

Meanwhile the Mets got a platoon center fielder so yay?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to get a little concerned that the Nats won't get either Rendon or Strasburg back. If they don't get Rendon, they absolutely need to get Donaldson.
https://www.12up.com/posts/nationals...n-01dvc64z51ad

Considering the state of the market, it looks like we will probably get Strasburg back (is anyone outside DC is really comfortable with his history of injuries except maybe the Padres?).

Rendon looks like he might go home to Texas.

Donaldson would be nice but the Reds signing Moustakas really churned the 3B market. Part of me wonders whether Boras got Moose to sign with one of the teams that are NOT looking for a 3B to heat up the market for Rendon.

There are a ton of decent 3B's out there to plug the hole defensively. But if you lose Rendon, you need a big bat from somewhere. I'm hoping for Mookie Betts.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I remain absolutely floored that the Red Sox haven't signed Betts for the rest of his career.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But the infielders also need to know the information for defensive purposes. If the ball is being pitched outside, you need to be in a different position than if it's going inside.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
But the infielders also need to know the information for defensive purposes. If the ball is being pitched outside, you need to be in a different position than if it's going inside.
Do they? Other than calling a middle infielder to 2nd for a pick off, wouldn't the defenders shifting to a different location for a specific pitch be the easiest tell of all time for someone attempting to steal signs?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
What are they doing now? Are all the basemen (and shortstop) in a position to see every sign? (Iím not denying this is true but that seems hard to do.)

And if so, headsets for all infielders seems fair. Or maybe just earpieces for those other than catcher and pitcher. The NFL has been doing that stuff for years.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Infielders do not reposition pitch to pitch in the major leagues.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I remain absolutely floored that the Red Sox haven't signed Betts for the rest of his career.
I think the Nats are talking with them about trading Betts last year of control for Eaton plus other stufrf (maybe prospects, maybe money, maybe Robles. Betts has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to stay in Boston. I don't know what the Nats could possibly offer but they are apparently also talking to Betts (probably to see if he would sign a longer term deal to make a trade they make worthwhile).
Old 12-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Listen, I'm a Red Sox fan and big fan of Mookie Betts. But I get it. He's turned down what I think are reasonable extension offers. I know $200M/8yrs was confirmed. They put themselves in a bit of a bind with what they're paying pitchers. Sale, Price and Eovaldi will cost nearly $80M/yr for the next few years. Not to mention JD Martinez and Xander Bogaerts each at 20M+.

All that said, I don't know what is considered a reasonable return for a year of Mookie Betts.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Looking at old random box scores for various (work-related!) reasons, I came across this game from mid-July, 2001, in which Randy Johnson came in to relieve Curt Schilling after two innings - they pitched a joint shut-out and I believe Johnson holds the record for strikeouts recorded in relief in a game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00107180.shtml

Any D-back or Padres fans remember the game? I guess Schilling must have gotten hurt or something? Why the hell was Johnson available in relief in a random regular-season game in late July?
Schilling did get hurt but I don't remember how exactly. Looking at his pitching line they wouldn't have taken him out. He hadn't even given up a hit.