Old 12-24-2019, 02:48 PM

college players can play for summer league teams , the season lasts around 2 months. They use wood bats. We have a local college summer team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...ummer_baseball

If minor league teams are dropped by the major leagues they could become independent league teams. There are 7 independent leagues now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...aseball_league
Old 12-25-2019, 09:15 AM

Mets sign Dellin Betances to 1 year deal @ $10.5m. Seems like a good risk on paper, when he is healthy Dellin is a great 8th inning pressure guy.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
It was the NFL, not MLB, but Mike Pereira (former head of officiating in the NFL) was recently interviewed on a local sports radio station about the state of officiating in the NFL. One thing they brought up was age. He pointed out that the better officials are older because they have more experience and make better judgment calls. It was a compelling argument (and he certainly is an authority), and I assume this applies to the MLB as well.

Yes, you do wonder about the ability to see where the ball goes in older age but with an electronic strike zone that should matter less. If your umpires get younger, things will likely get worse, not better.
You may be right. If they ever actually adopt robo-umpires, the experience may be more important than youth but these days I cringe a little whenever I see some of the older umpires behind the plate.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 12-26-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Just saw an episode of What’s my Line from 1956 with commissioner Ford Frick. The host, John Daly, asked him the ‘Is baseball dying?’ question!

I’ll remember that when I skip the endless columns that will be written about that as we get closer to spring training.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Just saw an episode of What’s my Line from 1956 with commissioner Ford Frick. The host, John Daly, asked him the ‘Is baseball dying?’ question.
Please, where did you see this? We used to watch this and old episodes of To Tell the Truth on Game Show Network, but they replaced them all with poor modern games. I'd love to see them again.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Please, where did you see this? We used to watch this and old episodes of To Tell the Truth on Game Show Network, but they replaced them all with poor modern games. I'd love to see them again.
You’re in luck. Here’s the episode but the YouTube channel has every single episode of the show that’s extant.
https://youtu.be/2KVk5fthbTU

And here’s To Tell The Truth
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCZkBUfTQ_tmKAlUV_sQqrTQ
Old 01-03-2020, 01:41 AM

Saw this comment on MLBTR by poster bkbkbk

Quote:
All additional WAR is worth the same! The Angels by any count have improved their team by more than any other team in a meaningful way. Losing out in Gerrit Cole does not fail them. This is a short term and long term calculus.

I love what he’s done and if they add 1 or 2 pitchers of Wood, Walker or Nelson. This team has their additions plus 2 good young pitchers and Ohtani coming back.

All that said, I do love that since the Trout extension that the Angels are the king of hated/front office fail teams.
As an Angels fan I want to love his analysis. Is he right or am I reading his post through rose colored glasses?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:39 AM

Will Harris to sign 3 year $24MM deal with Nationals.

Deal subject to a physical. Daniel Hudson no longer seems to be a likely sign for the Nationals.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Will Harris to sign 3 year $24MM deal with Nationals.
If you can't beat 'em ...
Old 01-03-2020, 12:11 PM

Yankees pitcher Domingo German banned first 81 games on 2020 season for violating the MLB domestic abuse policy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...iolence-policy
Old 01-03-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Yankees pitcher Domingo German banned first 81 games on 2020 season for violating the MLB domestic abuse policy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...iolence-policy
Actually it is 81 games total, but as he missed the end of last season to suspension, it will be 63 games. A very long suspension.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

And again I’ll add my rant that I really wish MLB would leave the legal stuff to the legal system and just handle baseball issues.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Jays Fan

That would be a PR disaster. They have no choice, really, but to do something.

You can't think of this as an attempt to do the legal system's job. It's not. It's an attempt to do a public relations department''s job.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:51 PM

Good. Losing half a year's income might deter the next hothead who's about to fly off the handle. Sure it's PR, but with the bonus of deterrence.

I can't say I'm looking forward to German's return. A fresh start in San Diego or Arizona might be best for everyone involved.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:02 PM

The Mets are never boaring.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:30 AM

Nats to sign 2 year 11 MM contract with Daniel Hudson.

With the recent addition of Will Harris, I think our bullpen is ready.

Now we just need another big bat to replace Rendon and I think we're ready to start the season.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I hope your Nats treat Will Harris right. We Astros fans will be missing him.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Nats to sign 2 year 11 MM contract with Daniel Hudson.

With the recent addition of Will Harris, I think our bullpen is ready.

Now we just need another big bat to replace Rendon and I think we're ready to start the season.
A very reasonable price for Hudson.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:27 PM

I know there are several Blue Jays fans on the board. I thought you’d enjoy this conversation between Bo Bichette and a young fan:

https://twitter.com/playball/status/...334617090?s=21
Old 01-07-2020, 03:55 PM

Red Sox accused of stealing signs in 2018 title season.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ns-2018-season
Old 01-07-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I know there are several Blue Jays fans on the board. I thought you’d enjoy this conversation between Bo Bichette and a young fan:

https://twitter.com/playball/status/...334617090?s=21
It was nice of him, asked what it was like to hit against Clayton Kershaw, to say Kershaw was a legend, and not mention that he lit Kershaw up twice the first time he faced him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrOGuQguR2M
Old 01-08-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I hope your Nats treat Will Harris right. We Astros fans will be missing him.
I admire how the astros built their roster. I wish the nats would take a few cues.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 PM

If Red Sox were found to be cheating in 2018 hopefully they lose their title. There is preceden in college, the NCAA stripped Louisville of a title for violations.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:50 PM

MLB is a business. Never in a million years would they wantonly destroy a fan-base like that. I'm not sure what the appropriate response should be for cheating, but in Houston's case, I hope Hinch gets suspended as part of the deal. Dirty pool, man. That's not cricket.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:21 PM

NCAA basketball is a multi billion dollar business. If a team cheats all year there needs to be severe punishment. Heavy fines, loss of draft picks. I doubt they take away the Red Sox title but it would not surprise me.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 AM

I know this sounds radical but if an owner knew or should have known about the cheating, they should be forced to auction their team.

Cheating would stop almost overnight.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 01-09-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
If Red Sox were found to be cheating in 2018 hopefully they lose their title. There is precedent in college, the NCAA stripped Louisville of a title for violations.
Agreed. Same for the Astros. Strip them of the title, take back the bonus money, fine the clubs billions, take away all of their draft picks, deny them any of the TV money the league splits, prohibit any of their games from being televised or broadcast in any fashion for a few years. Then think about some real punishments.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 PM

NBA made Donald Sterling sell the Clippers for saying racist stuff. MLB pretty much made Marge Schott sell the Reds for the same reason.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 01-09-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
NCAA basketball is a multi billion dollar business.
Actually it's not. NCAA basketball apparently doesn't make a billion a year. I'm sure more than that gets bet on it, but they don't see it.

The Red Sox won the 2018 World Series. There's nothing that can change that. "Taking away" their title - I mean, how do you do that? You can't change history. they could pretend it didn't happen, but it's just pretending. Are you gonna chase the players down to take their rings? It's not even MLB that gives those out.

A real punishment means something real. Lifetime banishments, financial penalties.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:00 PM

The NCAA has a $19 billion TV contract. And that's only for the 68 team tourney in March/April, just 3 weekends.

Schools make additional money for the regular season.

https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs...ss-tv-contract

NCAA FB also brings in a lot of cash from TV deals.

And they still claim this is amateur sports.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The NCAA has a $19 billion TV contract. And that's only for the 68 team tourney in March/April, just 3 weekends.

Schools make additional money for the regular season.

https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs...ss-tv-contract

NCAA FB also brings in a lot of cash from TV deals.

And they still claim this is amateur sports.

You mean the 22 year 19 bil contract? Yeah, its worth billions. But that doesnt mean they are a multibillion dollar business. Taxes and expenses will swallow up much if not most of it.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:18 PM

NCAA is a 501 c 3 , they don't pay taxes.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:59 AM

and a lot of that $19 bil goes to NCAA schools who also don't pay taxes
Old 01-10-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
and a lot of that $19 bil goes to NCAA schools who also don't pay taxes
https://www.aau.edu/sites/default/fi...ties-FINAL.pdf

Quote:
Tax-exempt private and public universities and colleges are subject to unrelated business income tax (UBIT) and generally must pay tax on income from an activity, trade, or business that is not substantially related to their educational tax-exempt purposes.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Actually it's not. NCAA basketball apparently doesn't make a billion a year. I'm sure more than that gets bet on it, but they don't see it.
A lot of people dramatically overestimate the economic size of the spectator sports industry, because they tend to confuse its social impact with its economic impact.

There was a Freakonomics episode a while back about pro sports, and a sports economist noted that, if you add up ALL of the major professional sports in North America, and then also add in college sports, you're left with an economic footprint about the same size as the cardboard-box industry - about $60-70 billion a year. Not peanuts by any means (the peanut industry is only worth about $1.2 billion a year), but nowhere near as economically significant as its social and cultural prominence would suggest.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:33 PM

It's true pro sports don't have a lot of people but they all make $480k and up. Some make $20 mil a year. They are in the top 1% of US earners.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 01-10-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM

How much do goal posts cost these days? Do you have to pay extra to be able to move them around so often?
Old 01-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
A lot of people dramatically overestimate the economic size of the spectator sports industry, because they tend to confuse its social impact with its economic impact.
That's an interesting point, and one that crosses my mind now and then.

Professional sports AREN'T a big industry, money wise, in the grand scheme of things. The comparison to the cardboard box industry is a good one. Or to use another, I work for an Irish company that I am quite confident no one in this thread and very possibly on the SDMB has ever heard of, except me. We are reasonably big on our field, but not the biggest, and it's likely not a field many people on the SDMB has ever heard of either. We are, however, worth more than any professional sports team that has ever existed, and its not a close call.

Or to use other fun examples, the NFL, the richest pro sports league ever, made roughly $14 billion in gross revenue last season. If the NFL were a single company (obviously, it's really 33 different companies - 32 teams and the league corporation) it wouldn't be anywhere near being one of the ten biggest companies... IN CANADA. In the USA the last Fortune 100 list I can find says Coca Cola is the 100th biggest company in America, and it had more than twice as much revenue.

Pro sports has an astoundingly outsized impact compared to how big it really is as a business, I think because

1. It's covered as important news, and

2. People who are into it are extremely devoted to it. Even I am often oddly surprised when I discover some quite normal people have no awareness at all of professional baseball or whatever.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Jayson Stark with a good article in The Athetic this past week about very possible changes to MLB:

1. Universal DH

I am okay with this; I'd prefer it stay this way if the AL/NL split remains in place just because I like the variety, but it's not a biggie to me.

2. Robot Strike Zone

Stark's point here is that while we are likely on the way to this, it may require a redefinition of the strike zone; a breaking ball that just barely nicks the front bottom corner of the zone is an unhittable pitch that would be called a ball 95% of the time by a human, but the Statcast or Pitchf/x or whatever the system is called now will - correctly - call it a strike, so maybe the ruled have to change a little.

I am 100% in favor of robot umps. Shitty umpiring has changed playoff series.

3. Radio pitch calling between catcher/ pitcher / bench.

Meh, whatever. If cheating has to be stopped this way, as opposed to my currently preferred solution of lifetime bans for a lot of people, so be it.

4. Expansion and Realignment

Stark's idea here is:

a. Expand to 32 teams
b. Do away with AL/NL
c. Realign to eight four-team divisions

I am on record as being in favor of expansion and hell, I'd go to 40 teams. If I were the King of Baseball there would be 40 teams in eight five-team divisions and sixteen of them would make the playoffs.

The problem isn't markets. There are lots of markets; even without getting exotic and going to Mexico, there are a lot of markets larger than the smallest MLB markets now; Charlotte, Montreal, Vancouver, Portland, San Antonio, Austin, Vegas, Nashville and a few others are all bigger than the smallest MLB markets and New York and Los Angeles could each support another team; arguments can be made than Boston/New England could support another. As Stark points out the Rays are an existing problem that may require a new market to fix, but whatever.

The problem isn't markets, it's owners. MLB doesn't just drop a team somewhere; they need a billionaire who can convince a government to build a zillion dollar ballpark and who wants a baseball team. If such people already existed, I suspect they'd already be expanding.

5. Shorter regular season

Stark feels this would allow for a proper wild card series and that 162 games is just too many. His playoff idea, predictable on the 8-by-4 system, is 12 teams make it; the two best divisions winners get a bye (or four best if there is no league distinction) and the remaining teams play a 3-game wild card series in which the division champions host all three games, and the wild cards have to play on the road.

I am okay with that playoff format, though in my eight-by-five system I'd go to 16 teams.

I think 162 games is, to me as a fan, essentially indistinguishable from 154, or 152 or even 144 whatever; it's not like I'm counting as they play them. Where a shorter season makes sense is in fitting in a fourth playoff series and maybe not having the season start in March and end in November.

6. No games on Mondays

Now he's getting crazy; Stark suggests all teams take Mondays off during the regular season so people can "look back, NFL-style" at the preceding week of baseball. I think there's more logistical problems created here.

7. No really long extra inning games

This has been talked about before, and Stark suggests they may put runners on base to start an inning or allow ties.

I've never understood the urgency of this. Really long extra inning games are REALLY rare. If 17-inning marathons were happening every week, sure, that's not okay in a game played basically every day. But that doesn't happen. Like, what do you think is too long? More than 12 innings? The average team plays a game longer than 12 innings maybe 2-3 times a year. It's a rare thing. This would piss off purists more than it would make anyone else less bored.

8. Deaden the ball

Stark has no specific plan here but suggets using humidors to prevent balls from getting too dry.

I wholeheartedly agree baseball has too many home runs now. 2019 was ridiculous. It also has too many strikeouts, though, and this doesn't help that directly.

9. Direct MLB involvement with sports betting

As averse as MLB is to gambling, there's a lot of money in it, and so sooner or later this will happen.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-12-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Jayson Stark with a good article in The Athetic this past week about very possible changes to MLB:
I am with you on everything with the following notes.

Quote:
4. Expansion and Realignment
I think more teams should be owned by their community, season ticket holders and residents. If the City of Charlotte owned 49% of an expansion team and contributed a stadium while the other 51% was owned by season ticket holders and residents of Charlotte, I think it would be good for the game. This would let MLB expand as much as it thinks is prudent.

I am agnostic about how much we expand but we really ought to expand a bit to make the playoff math better.

Quote:
8. Deaden the ball

Stark has no specific plan here but suggets using humidors to prevent balls from getting too dry.

I wholeheartedly agree baseball has too many home runs now. 2019 was ridiculous. It also has too many strikeouts, though, and this doesn't help that directly.
Deaden the ball and move back the mound a bit.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
The problem isn't markets, it's owners. MLB doesn't just drop a team somewhere; they need a billionaire who can convince a government to build a zillion dollar ballpark and who wants a baseball team. If such people already existed, I suspect they'd already be expanding.
Not only that, but if you make it clear that you're expanding into a bunch of new markets, it might actually make it harder to bribe or extort host cities into forking over huge amounts of cash for new stadiums.

Any existing team trying to negotiate a new stadium deal suddenly has less leverage, because it's harder to threaten to pack your bags and leave town if a whole bunch of new cities are already in the process of getting their own teams.

I guess that the league could try an Amazon-style bidding system for its expansion teams, but I think that voters, even selfish-asshole sports-fan voters, are getting sick of being asked to fork over hundreds of millions of dollars to even bigger asshole billionaire sports-team owners.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:00 PM

The current chief of baseball has said no expansion of baseball until two ballparks are up to snuff.

I don't remember which two.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
The current chief of baseball has said no expansion of baseball until two ballparks are up to snuff.

I don't remember which two.
Easy guess: Tampa & Oakland.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:24 PM

That would have been my guess.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:05 AM

Oakland no longer has the Raiders but it would be very costly to redo that park. Probably easier to build a new place. Tampa should also start over and they need a dome due to the heat. That area is full of retirees who are not likely to go to an outdoor stadium.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 AM

Tropicana Field is a domed stadium.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Tropicana Field is a domed stadium.
But a crappy one in a very poor location.

I'm pretty sure Bijou meant the replacement stadium needs to be a dome. The new stadium if it stays in the Tampa area should be on the East side of Tampa metro area to increase the accessibility to a larger number of fans. We beat this up either earlier this thread or in a recent thread.

In a nutshell:
St. Pete is the senior's city, Tampa is the working age city.
Current stadium is hard to get to.
East side of Tampa would make the trip to see the game doable even to the Orlando metro area.
Current Stadium is probably the worst stadium in the MLB.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:52 AM

I knew Tampa has a dome now and pretty everyone agrees it's bad and in a bad location. Tampa Bay lighting played there for 3 years while their current place was built.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Astros manager and GM suspended for a year.
https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sign-stealing-penalty
Old 01-13-2020, 02:09 PM

The Astros hit with massive cheating penalties. Will lose 1st and 2nd round picks in 20 and 21, fined $5mil. Luhnow and Hinch suspended without pay for 20.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...aling-mlb.html

Well done, MLB. Stamp out cheating with real and painful punishment.