Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Now I'm being told I have to wait sixty seconds between posts.
I had cut down the system default to 0 but then we started having problems and the techs bumped it back up.

I hesitate to try sliding it back down again in light of the current problems.

And I do apologize, it's frustrating to everyone.

As we are coming up on Christmas and people get days off and take vacations and whatnot I am pretty sure we're just going to have to batch it for bit here. This is an old install of vB and we've beaten it like a rented mule over these years so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. I would look forward to some fixes and I know you do too. Maybe Santa has something for us, we've been good little boys and girls, no? Ho-Ho-Ho!

In the meantime, what's it gonna be, eggnog or champagne punch? Maybe both. Wishing you Happier Holidays.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Because booze heals.

Last edited by TubaDiva; 12-20-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:32 AM

I opened up New Posts, and as my wont, opened up new tabs for the threads I wanted to read. The first 10 or so, did not load. The next 10 did.

When I got to each tab, which didn't load at the beginning, it loaded after refreshing.

Perhaps this method is stressing the board a bit much, but normally it doesn't have issues.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Here, too.

Plz, get some IT people. The site's becoming difficult to use.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Suspended

I was on a sports site and I could tell if the team won or lost by the state of the message board. When the team won , no problems. After a loss, the board crashed every time since fans were mad.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:56 PM

nm

Last edited by dropzone; 12-21-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Suspended

would deleting old posts help? The database is very large and deleting stuff older than say 5 years might help.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:15 PM

Taking forever (especially today). I'm not getting error messages as I just quit my browser and try again a dozen times or so.

Last edited by TheCuse; 12-21-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
would deleting old posts help? The database is very large and deleting stuff older than say 5 years might help.
I hope it doesn't come to that. I very much like having access to older threads.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Probably not. Assuming VB uses a B-Tree kind of indexing, doubling the database size results in only one additional search call on average to find something specific. Not a significant load.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I hope it doesn't come to that. I very much like having access to older threads.
Definitely. Please do NOT delete our history!
Old 12-21-2019, 01:45 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

I doubt it's a problem of database size. If it were, the boards would have slowed down gradually over the years, rather than suddenly become unusable. Also, it would be a problem for all users.

One odd thing is that this problem doesn't affect everyone. I joined this thread ten days ago when I was having timeouts. Since then, I've had the problem only a couple of times, and only briefly. Yet other users have the problem consistently, and over many days.

I think we need more info on the users who are seeing timeouts. Answers to these questions might help:

What OS and browser(s) are you using?
What firewall do you use?
What virus protection do you use?
Who is your ISP?
Are you using a VPN?
What is your location?

My answers:

What OS and browser(s) are you using?
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

What firewall do you use?
Windows firewall

What virus protection do you use?
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2020

Who is your ISP?
AT&T

Are you using a VPN?
No

What is your location?
El Cerrito, CA

Last edited by Jeff Lichtman; 12-21-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:52 PM

AFAICT, the problem is extremely intermittent and usually short-lived. I had a 504 Gateway timeout a few seconds ago, and now things are back to normal. This makes this kind of problem admittedly hard to analyze.

It does not SEEM to be related either to location or client configuration, though obviously I can't be sure. I have the impression that it tends to happen more often late at night, but whether it really does or not happen more often, it definitely happens, which argues against system load being the issue. The slowdowns and the various errors being reported are probably all the same thing -- that is, if the lack of response is sufficiently long, things time out and you get the message, otherwise you sit there waiting for a while and you eventually get a response.

Also interesting is that postings don't seem to have a problem getting through, only responses. That's why we have so many double posts when the problem is happening fairly frequently. Posters submit a post, get no response, and assume that it hasn't gone through, but it has. It's the response (the confirmation of the post) that has failed to come back.

Whether this is the exact same problem that has been plaguing the site for months now I obviously can't be sure, but all the symptoms are exactly the same.

I still wonder whether one or more disgruntled former users are launching random denial of service attacks. Those who may think this is a fun form of entertainment will note that denial of service attacks are a criminal offense under federal law.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:52 PM

Might we suppose that TPTB would just as soon see this board fade away from benign neglect?
Old 12-21-2019, 03:59 PM

Past posts seem to suggest that.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:42 PM

Just passing along info:

I get roughly five minutes of Dope time and then the board stalls out. This has happened about nine times today (also yesterday) and it's really pissing me off.

Let's see if this actually posts. Woo hoo!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Also interesting is that postings don't seem to have a problem getting through, only responses.
In addition to posts I'm having problems with threads loading in the first place.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
In addition to posts I'm having problems with threads loading in the first place.
Me, too. This is happening lots today.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Suspended

It could be the database hit a size that is causing problems rather than a gradual problem getting worse. I've seen that kind of problem.

on linux systems there are various freeware programs that can run to show all kinds of stats about performance to help fix problems. I can't recall the name of the main one but when I do I will post it . Of course if it is not linux then that won't help.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Might we suppose that TPTB would just as soon see this board fade away from benign neglect?
I've wondered about this.

I've been on some message boards that have started to experience crashes - not timeouts but actual crashes that last a day or so. In more than one instance, the board gradually went downhill, until it just disappeared one day, presumably because they just didn't register.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:06 PM

I had the board time out in the middle of making a report.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:39 AM
Suspended

linux monitoring software is hobbit.

Info here http://hobbit.math.cnrs.fr/hobbit/help/about.html
Old 12-22-2019, 08:09 AM

The second I clicked to open this thread, things paused for a while. So, 7:08 CST.

(Most errors occur when posting/previewing. But this was simply opening threads.)
Old 12-22-2019, 09:57 AM

Just jumping from discussion to discussion gets me unlogged. I've been here ten minutes and I've had to log in seven times. Basically, trying to press any "button" on the board logs me out.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I've wondered about this.

I've been on some message boards that have started to experience crashes - not timeouts but actual crashes that last a day or so. In more than one instance, the board gradually went downhill, until it just disappeared one day, presumably because they just didn't register.
I can tell you this is NOT the situation.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 12-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
I keep getting logged out, often mid-comment. I mean, constantly.
I just went and checked your settings. You did not have a theme selected. Was this intentional?

When you do not have a theme selected one of the symptoms is that the system logs you off after every page change.

I have changed your setting to "Straight Dope V3.7.3". Please try working with this and see if your experience is not improved.

If this does not help, try going to the UserCP and changing your theme to "Sultantheme." That works better for some folks.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

Last edited by TubaDiva; 12-22-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: the theme
Old 12-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Also interesting is that postings don't seem to have a problem getting through, only responses. That's why we have so many double posts when the problem is happening fairly frequently. Posters submit a post, get no response, and assume that it hasn't gone through, but it has.
Another way I think that works is that, if I get an error on a page I haven't just posted to, I'll come back and hit 'refresh' in a few minutes and usually get to the page just fine. If I hit 'refresh' on a page on which the most recent thing I've done is to try to post, though, I get a warning message that the page will have to resend information already sent in order to refresh; if I tell it to refresh anyway, then I find it's double posted (which I think turned into triple or quadruple posts the first time I did this, because the board was still down until the third or fourth time I tried.) I don't know whether everybody's browser gives that warning (this is Firefox 70.0.1 on a Mac running 10.13.4, which I probably ought to get around to updating sometime.) But some people may not be intending to repeat their post, but be intending just to refresh the page.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:37 PM

I just got another 60-second warning in the pit.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
I just got another 60-second warning in the pit.
I didn't change anything about that setting.

Are you still getting logged out every time you change a page?

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 12-22-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I keep getting logged out, often mid-comment. I mean, constantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I had the board time out in the middle of making a report.
Weird thing a couple of hours ago that may be related. The main index page just refreshed on its own. Well, not on it's own, obviously, something told it to. One of the ads, maybe?

Didn't think much of it at the time since it didn't cause a timeout or anything.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:38 AM

In some of my prior database work, the standard knee-jerk first thing to try when stuff like this happens is to re-index the entire database. This tends to clear up 90% of problems. I and others have suggested this in the past when this board has had problems, and I believe (I think) that they did exactly that, with good results usually.

It's easy to do: Probably takes the click of one button to initiate a re-index, although for a large database it might then take a few hours to complete. The impression I've been getting from this thread is that there isn't even enough IT support to do simply that.

If a re-index doesn't fix the problem, then it might take some more extensive efforts to diagnose and fix the problem.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
I had cut down the system default to 0 but then we started having problems and the techs bumped it back up.

I hesitate to try sliding it back down again in light of the current problems.

And I do apologize, it's frustrating to everyone.

As we are coming up on Christmas and people get days off and take vacations and whatnot I am pretty sure we're just going to have to batch it for bit here. This is an old install of vB and we've beaten it like a rented mule over these years so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. I would look forward to some fixes and I know you do too. Maybe Santa has something for us, we've been good little boys and girls, no? Ho-Ho-Ho!

In the meantime, what's it gonna be, eggnog or champagne punch? Maybe both. Wishing you Happier Holidays.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Because booze heals.

Champagne punch, obviously!

What are you making for the usual Xmas calorie-palooza?
Old 12-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Champagne punch, obviously!

What are you making for the usual Xmas calorie-palooza?
Not to hijack the thread but since you asked ...

In the past my family celebrations were kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg

Today it's a smaller and quieter holiday. There's not room for it at the table, of course, but I'm making a chocolate caramel pecan bark that is too damn good.

Abstentious household, so I'll belay until I get back home and then have a glass of something celebratory.

May your days be merry AND bright, all of you.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Feliz Navidad!
Old 12-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Thank you, Jenny, and to you too -- Holiday Greetings to you and your family!

And oh by the way, I'm getting several of those 50x errors today. Thanks, too, for working towards a fix here.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I've usually gotten a few 504 Server errors per day for the past couple of weeks.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:26 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Thank you, Jenny, and to you too -- Holiday Greetings to you and your family!

And oh by the way, I'm getting several of those 50x errors today. Thanks, too, for working towards a fix here.
I've only had one lately but since my memory isn't what it used to be I wanted to add my Holiday Hugs on to you and all involved.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Thanks to everyone, most of all for your patience.

Wishing you all a day (at least) of peace and joy.

Jenny
Old 12-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Well the SDMB is back with us again. I hope its Christmas day off was restful and good for recovery.

ETA: imgur, https://imgur.com/a/If3JjUx

Last edited by Bullitt; 12-26-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:35 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Well the SDMB is back with us again. I hope its Christmas day off was restful and good for recovery.
More like withdrawal. My lips are all cracked and I've had the itches since yesterday when I found it was down. I can't do this cold turkey I tell ya ------- I just can't!
Old 12-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
More like withdrawal. My lips are all cracked and I've had the itches since yesterday when I found it was down. I can't do this cold turkey I tell ya ------- I just can't!
Yeah I hear ya. I went over to some other forums that I hadnít been on in months.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Welcome back!

Not sure what happened. Something Grinchy for sure.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 12-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Damn. Uh. What was in that eggnog?
Old 12-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Something Grinchy for sure.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOnxikzvT4Q
Old 12-26-2019, 02:09 PM

Can we count on fewer 502/504 errors?
Old 12-26-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post

Yes.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Hey, I'm just glad that the SDMB is back.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Thank heaven. I was dying. So happy to see you guys
Old 12-26-2019, 02:26 PM

I sense that Bullitt is a pessimist, don't know why...
Old 12-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. I went over to some other forums that I hadnít been on in months.
Traitorous ingrate.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:34 PM

I, for one, am grateful we found out before the outage that Mrs. Northern Piper liked her cello. The suspense would have been hard to handle.

And thank you for getting us up and running again!

Last edited by D18; 12-26-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

I had a little bit of difficulty connecting with the board yesterday.