Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953

Trump is the real whistleblower!


A letter in my local paper asserts that Trump is rooting out corruption all over D.C. and concludes "Trump is the real whistleblower!"

Sounds like Faux News alternative reality to me, but what do I know? I live in a leftwing bubble. So I am genuinely inviting all the right-leaning posters here to share examples of Trump's activities that have uncovered and thwarted corruption in our nation's government.

One thing, though -- these efforts cannot be reactions to investigations of Trump or his administration. Any mentions of Carter Page or the Steele Dossier will be reported as threadshitting. I want genuine examples of Trump fighting corruption -- not him fighting back.

Ready, set, fight my ignorance!
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #2  
Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,598
Well, he did get Stephen Calk, Michael Cohen, Paul Manafort, George Nader, Rick Gates, and some others arrested for corrupt activities, and others like Elliott Broidy put under Federal investigation....

Given that those are all his friends, though, I put that down more in the side of being pro-corruption not anti. And, despite his claim to be happy and successful in office, he's probably pretty sad that he has caused so many of his friends to go to jail, and blissfully ignoring that his idiocy is to blame for them all being there.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 12-30-2019 at 11:03 AM.
  #3  
Old 12-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
I ask for genuine examples of Trump's corruption fighting from right-leaning posters, and you come along and call Trump an idiot. As much as I agree with you, I fear your response may intimidate those right-leaning posters from their sincere efforts to fight my ignorance.

C'mon, all you Republicans and independents -- I truly want to hear what I'm missing. Show me Trump the whistleblower!
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #4  
Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,750
actually it's Melania
  #5  
Old 12-30-2019, 12:42 PM
drad dog is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,746
He is fighting corruption by sleeping. I know he makes money then too, but just a little less.
  #6  
Old 12-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
I ask for genuine examples of Trump's corruption fighting from right-leaning posters, and you come along and call Trump an idiot. As much as I agree with you, I fear your response may intimidate those right-leaning posters from their sincere efforts to fight my ignorance.
I am a right-leaning poster.

I'm unaware of any anti-corruption efforts by Trump except, obviously, his hunt for Hunter.

As best I can tell, the meaning of "drain the swamp" has migrated from fighting corruption to "driving out Democrats from the government and installing party loyalists". Seeing as that's a return to the spoils system, it would be hard to argue that this is an anti-corruption effort in any way.

But, like you, I invite anyone to come up with something.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 12-30-2019 at 01:33 PM.
  #7  
Old 12-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I am a right-leaning poster.
Sorry, my bad.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #8  
Old 12-30-2019, 04:10 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
Well, here it is, six hours later, and no one has stepped up to volunteer even one example of Trump fighting actual corruption in Washington. But it's a holiday week, so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet.

Come one, Trump supporters, fight my ignorance!
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #9  
Old 12-30-2019, 04:42 PM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 1,664
I gargle for Trump anti-corruption but dang, he seems to be otherwise focused. Sorry. Maybe OP should ask for something easy, like squaring the circle.
  #10  
Old 12-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I gargle for Trump anti-corruption but dang, he seems to be otherwise focused. Sorry. Maybe OP should ask for something easy, like squaring the circle.
I thought this would be easy. I mean, if normal, everyday people are writing letters to the editor about all the corruption Trump is fighting, surely there would be two or three shining examples.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #11  
Old 01-01-2020, 06:30 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,873
Well, there's the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2017, signed by Trump on May 5th, which I guess could counter Russia-based influence to some extent.

Consider that straw firmly grasped.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #12  
Old 01-01-2020, 08:18 PM
TheCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Well, here it is, six hours later, and no one has stepped up to volunteer even one example of Trump fighting actual corruption in Washington. But it's a holiday week, so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet.

Come one, Trump supporters, fight my ignorance!
Maybe no one wants to play your little game.
  #13  
Old 01-01-2020, 08:54 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuse View Post
Maybe no one wants to play your little game.
Care to assign the correct name to the correct political party?

Democrat | Republican

= Unnamed Party 1 =
Hey guys, now, let's all make sure that we understand that everyone is different, that no one is right or wrong, and that everyone is welcome, no matter who they are or where they come from. So make sure not to say anything that would upset anybody, make them feel uncomfortable being who they are, or feel "different".

= Unnamed Party 2 =
Y'all PC fuckers need to get out of your little bubbles, accept that some people are assholes and need to be told that they're fucked up, useless wastes of time and given a swift kick in the ass and told to get a life.

---

The OP is trying to be inclusive. I lean to the right. I ain't having that nonsense. If you can't think of anything to support any sort of honest position, then bitch and moan all you want about being excluded from the cool kid club but ain't no one buying it.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-01-2020 at 08:55 PM.
  #14  
Old 01-02-2020, 12:57 AM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 15,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
A letter in my local paper asserts that Trump is rooting out corruption all over D.C. and concludes "Trump is the real whistleblower!"
Did said letter cite any specific examples of Trumpian corruption fighting? If so, perhaps you could seed this conversation by quoting that.
__________________
=========================================
  #15  
Old 01-02-2020, 05:09 AM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Care to assign the correct name to the correct political party?

Democrat | Republican

= Unnamed Party 1 =
Hey guys, now, let's all make sure that we understand that everyone is different, that no one is right or wrong, and that everyone is welcome, no matter who they are or where they come from. So make sure not to say anything that would upset anybody, make them feel uncomfortable being who they are, or feel "different".

= Unnamed Party 2 =
Y'all PC fuckers need to get out of your little bubbles, accept that some people are assholes and need to be told that they're fucked up, useless wastes of time and given a swift kick in the ass and told to get a life.

---

The OP is trying to be inclusive. I lean to the right. I ain't having that nonsense. If you can't think of anything to support any sort of honest position, then bitch and moan all you want about being excluded from the cool kid club but ain't no one buying it.
You missed the part where Unnamed Party 2 gets their panties in a twist because someone said SOME OF THEM they were fucked up.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 01-02-2020 at 05:09 AM. Reason: changed a nut
  #16  
Old 01-02-2020, 11:15 AM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Did said letter cite any specific examples of Trumpian corruption fighting? If so, perhaps you could seed this conversation by quoting that.
No, it didn't.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #17  
Old 01-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 27,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Sounds like Faux News alternative reality to me, but what do I know? I live in a leftwing bubble. So I am genuinely inviting all the right-leaning posters here to share examples of Trump's activities that have uncovered and thwarted corruption in our nation's government.

One thing, though -- these efforts cannot be reactions to investigations of Trump or his administration. Any mentions of Carter Page or the Steele Dossier will be reported as threadshitting.
Channelling Trump supporters, I think quite a few of them would see firing Yates, Comey, and Strzok as what Trump meant by "cleaning out the swamp." (I disagree, of course, and see it as further evidence of Trump's corruption.)

I'm not sure what you mean by your bolded point. Are you saying that Trump supporters aren't allowed to see Comey's firing as part of Trump's effort to address corruption? Then you aren't listening to what their views are. Listening doesn't mean you have to agree with their warped view of reality. But even still, a Trump supporter would probably see firing Yates as "cleaning out the swamp," as her removal didn't actually have to do with the Russia collusion matter.

And go ahead and report me for threadshitting if you wish. I'll just sit here and laugh at the accusation.
  #18  
Old 01-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Channelling Trump supporters, I think quite a few of them would see firing Yates, Comey, and Strzok as what Trump meant by "cleaning out the swamp." (I disagree, of course, and see it as further evidence of Trump's corruption.)

I'm not sure what you mean by your bolded point. Are you saying that Trump supporters aren't allowed to see Comey's firing as part of Trump's effort to address corruption? Then you aren't listening to what their views are. Listening doesn't mean you have to agree with their warped view of reality. But even still, a Trump supporter would probably see firing Yates as "cleaning out the swamp," as her removal didn't actually have to do with the Russia collusion matter.

And go ahead and report me for threadshitting if you wish. I'll just sit here and laugh at the accusation.
No worries. I just wanted good-faith points raised, as you have -- not the 1000th iteration of the claim that Barr's DOJ documenting errors in the Mueller investigation somehow amounts to exposing corruption in DC.

But more important, I want examples of (for lack of a better term) unself-interested corruption-fighting. Trump didn't fire Comey because Comey was corrupt; he fired him because the man wouldn't back off investigating Trump's associates. Yates might be a better example, and thank you for raising it, though I agree with you that it reflects worse on him than on her.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #19  
Old 01-02-2020, 04:49 PM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Trump didn't fire Comey because Comey was corrupt; he fired him because the man wouldn't back off investigating Trump's associates.
Since Comey delivered the election with his "her emails" crap, this POTUS shows himself to be a real ingrate. And he steals tips from his resort staff - completely in character.
  #20  
Old 01-02-2020, 08:44 PM
Hari Seldon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Trantor
Posts: 13,554
Well, I suppose one could point to the firing of Maria Yovanovich because she wouldn't go along with his desired policy.

Oh, how about the firing of Rick Perry and other corrupt cabinet ministers. Of course, they were Trump appointments so maybe shouldn't be counted. But if you're grasping at straws, this is what you might come up with.

Of course, in reality we all know that Trump is the most corrupt president since ??? Even Warren Harding wasn't so much personally corrupt as blind to the corruption around him.
  #21  
Old 01-02-2020, 08:57 PM
Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 27,688
I guess technically Flynn was let go for lying to Pence.
  #22  
Old 01-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
OK, I'm going to move and redefine the goalposts a little. Let's hear examples of Trump fighting corruption that do not involve:
  • Firing people he himself appointed
  • Firing people who investigate him or people he appointed
  • The DOJ investigating investigations into Trump and his associates
  • Firing people who happen to disagree with him
That still leaves a whole mess of corruption left over from the Obama years, including four years during which HRC was SoS. There must be tons of examples. Come on, Dopers, fight my ignorance!
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #23  
Old 01-03-2020, 09:57 AM
SirRay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: The Industrial NorthEast
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
That still leaves a whole mess of corruption left over from the Obama years, including four years during which HRC was SoS. There must be tons of examples. Come on, Dopers, fight my ignorance!
Hmm, perhaps you could go first and list some of this 'whole mess of corruption left over from the Obama years' for us. Hopefully nothing from the Hannity/Carlson hit-parade of debunked scandals.

BTW, I am of the opinion that whatever anti-corruption initiatives that were instituted during the Trump administration were put in by others in must-sign appropriation bills, and did not originate from Trump or his cabinet themselves....
  #24  
Old 01-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRay View Post
Hmm, perhaps you could go first and list some of this 'whole mess of corruption left over from the Obama years' for us. Hopefully nothing from the Hannity/Carlson hit-parade of debunked scandals.

BTW, I am of the opinion that whatever anti-corruption initiatives that were instituted during the Trump administration were put in by others in must-sign appropriation bills, and did not originate from Trump or his cabinet themselves....
I'm not aware of any corruption left over from the Obama years. But as I stated when I started this thread, there are people out there who sincerely believe Trump is actively fighting corruption, and I'm curious to learn more.

Of course, there's always the possibility that this "Trump the Corruption Fighter" idea is pure Faux News kool-aid -- a possibility that seems more likely with every passing day that doesn't produce a tangible example.
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #25  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRay View Post
Hmm, perhaps you could go first and list some of this 'whole mess of corruption left over from the Obama years' for us. Hopefully nothing from the Hannity/Carlson hit-parade of debunked scandals.
One of the Trump cabinet was a holdover from Obama, who ended up being shown to have been corrupt.

The other eight or so were new to Trump, but Obama does seem to have had the one guy. (Of course, that's also the one guy that Trump kept on.)

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.
  #26  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:15 AM
SirRay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: The Industrial NorthEast
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
I'm not aware of any corruption left over from the Obama years. But as I stated when I started this thread, there are people out there who sincerely believe Trump is actively fighting corruption, and I'm curious to learn more.

Of course, there's always the possibility that this "Trump the Corruption Fighter" idea is pure Faux News kool-aid -- a possibility that seems more likely with every passing day that doesn't produce a tangible example.
Well, as I mentioned IMO any anti-corruptions initiatives that have occurred under his administration were likely attached by others (mostly Democrats reps) to must-sign bills.

I take the stance that this Huff-Post article (yea, I know) does:
Quote:
Republicans settling in to defend the president’s actions in Ukraine as part of “anti-corruption” efforts face one small problem: There is no evidence that Donald Trump has evinced interest in ending corruption anywhere in the world, ever.
Well, that may not be technically true - the administration didn't scrap a VA anti-corruption law like they originally wanted to:
Quote:
the Trump administration today abruptly abandoned its plan to suspend a 50-year-old anti-corruption law that prohibits for-profit colleges from enriching Department of Veterans Affairs employees who oversee the GI Bill.
Admittedly, that may not be the example you were looking for...
  #27  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Channelling Trump supporters, I think quite a few of them would see firing Yates, Comey, and Strzok as what Trump meant by "cleaning out the swamp." (I disagree, of course, and see it as further evidence of Trump's corruption.)
Just to ensure that our readers are aware but it should be pointed out that Comey and Strzok were both Republicans who seem to have been at the forefront of pushing for more intense investigations into Hillary Clinton. They both also seem to have kept all of the allegations against Trump completely silent.

Yates is a Democrat but seems to owe her career to Bob Barr (R).

All of them were looked at by Horowitz and ruled to have acted without political animus in their investigation. Strzok had documented animus against Trump, but he also had it against (from memory):

Bernie Sanders
Chelsea Clinton
Eric Holder
Congress
Politicians

Which is to say, he's an American. He thinks that politicians are slimeballs. The only known result of that is that he enjoyed his work.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-03-2020 at 11:20 AM.
  #28  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:29 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
...

That still leaves a whole mess of corruption left over from the Obama years, including four years during which HRC was SoS. There must be tons of examples. Come on, Dopers, fight my ignorance!
Why do you keep asking for examples? Couldn't it be the case that no one here has offered any, because no one here (even the pro-Trump people) don't have any, because they simply don't exist, and that your entire premise of "everyday people are writing letters to the editor about all the corruption Trump is fighting" is wrong, and instead, that ONE everyday person quoted in your local paper does NOT equate to hordes of others doing the same? It seems like maybe you are looking for an argument that doesn't exist...

In any case, I sure don't have any.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 01-07-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
  #29  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Why do you keep asking for examples? Couldn't it be the case that no one here has offered any, because no one here (even the pro-Trump people) don't have any, because they simply don't exist, and that your entire premise of "everyday people are writing letters to the editor about all the corruption Trump is fighting" is wrong, and instead, that ONE everyday person quoted in your local paper does NOT equate to hordes of others doing the same? It seems like maybe you are looking for an argument that doesn't exist...

In any case, I sure don't have any.
Well, you busted me. While this was all prompted by an actual letter in my local paper (and similar memes and such on social media), I kind of expected that no one would have any concrete examples. I did sort of hope some of the Trump defenders here would rise to the challenge and share some examples they thought met the criteria, because I genuinely do fear having a "bubble mentality" and am willing to debate such things in good faith.

But the zero actual examples of Trump fighting corruption in DC can only mean one of two things:
  1. Not enough people noticed the OP
  2. There are no examples of Trump fighting corruption in DC, and that all these people claiming such things are delusional
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017