Old 12-31-2019, 11:49 PM

NHL 103 - January 2020

Have at it. Welcome to 2020!
Old 01-01-2020, 01:57 PM

Jake Guentzel's out for the rest of the season. DAMMIT!!!
Old 01-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Well, I finally get what I wanted, a winter classic without the usual 6 teams that NBC always picks. I hope the ratings are good and it shows that people will turn in and not just to watch the Blackhawks, Rangers, Red Wings, Flyers, etc.

With the irrelevance of college football on New Year’s Day, I think plenty of people will tune in even though the outdoor game isn’t a novelty any longer. And, although the Preds have been disappointing, they’re still a good team and this is a good matchup.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:26 PM

Wings end 2019 by shutting out the Sharks. Which was nice, Bernier has been standing on his head and deserved to blank another team for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
yeah, we've got DeKeyser out for the season, Athanasiou out for a few weeks, Mantha out indefinitely, Howard still conditioning in Grand Rapids. Feels kind of like Ned Flanders after the hurricane. "what, did the rubble burn down?"
Old 01-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Well, I finally get what I wanted, a winter classic without the usual 6 teams that NBC always picks. I hope the ratings are good and it shows that people will turn in and not just to watch the Blackhawks, Rangers, Red Wings, Flyers, etc.

With the irrelevance of college football on New Yearís Day, I think plenty of people will tune in even though the outdoor game isnít a novelty any longer. And, although the Preds have been disappointing, theyíre still a good team and this is a good matchup.
Looked like a good game to me. (Except the part where Corey Perry got ejected for his reputation.) (Disclaimer: I'm a Stars fan). But they did break the record for Winter Classic attendance; no telling about the TV audience.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, the Minnesota Wild will be hosting the next Winter Classic. Iím sure it wonít be the Winnipeg Jets theyíre playing, but I think the Blues would be a good matchup and could draw. I see no evidence that the Blackhawks will be a decent team next season, so hopefully NBC will resist.

Last edited by dalej42; 01-01-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
And yeah - way to go! ::complaining::

Quote:
Speaking of sweaters, last week we had "Ugly Sweater Night" at PPG Arena. Did anyone get a load of the one Dan Potash had on?
curse-jinxer, you

I wouldn't count him out if Pens go a round or two into the play-offs. Not that I'd put money on it, but neither would I be surprised to see his healing suddenly taking on a miraculous recovery rate come early May. (I rememeber how Erik Karlsson's achilles heel injury healed way faster than anyone expected.) And getting dropped into the frying pan of 2nd or 3rd round Stanley Cup hockey will get you back into shape pretty darn quickly.
Apparently Guentzel had learned of his all-star qualifying only hours before he wrecked his shoulder.
Meh - I can't see how his next six or seven seasons won't be of really high quality.

ETA: Will this be one of the last shots for JG's replacement Alex Galchenyuk?

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 01-01-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:07 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Looked like a good game to me. (Except the part where Corey Perry got ejected for his reputation.) (Disclaimer: I'm a Stars fan). But they did break the record for Winter Classic attendance; no telling about the TV audience.
Yeah, a great crowd, but no telling about the TV audience. Anyone who did watch was treated to a good game. Pretty tight until the end.

The hit by Perry was unfortunate. You could tell by his reaction that it was unintentional, but it was undeniably an elbow to the head. I'm not sure about the finer points of that particular rule, but he really should have tried to skate by without throwing the elbow. He's going to have a hearing on Friday about whether he'll get a suspension for it. I'm as big a Stars fan as any, and I hope he doesn't get suspended, but it ended up being a pretty dangerous play.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:19 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Heheheheeh, and Bishop was the only one who didn't look silly in his cowboy get-up after the game.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:32 PM

My god, Bobrovsky is killing me and my fantasy team. Drafted Grubauer hoping for an improvement to my goaltending, but he is hitting the skids as well.

On the plus side, Huberdeau has been an absolute beast as of late. Also nice to see Radulov finally waking up down in Dallas.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:12 PM

Perry gets five.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

ESPN is reporting that former Stars coach Jim Montgomery is checking into rehab for an alcohol problem. It seems that was the cause of him getting fired. He did have a DUI back in 2008.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
ESPN is reporting that former Stars coach Jim Montgomery is checking into rehab for an alcohol problem. It seems that was the cause of him getting fired. He did have a DUI back in 2008.
Thereís still got to be more to the story. I donít know what the laws are in Texas, but shouldnít he have been allowed to check into rehab before being fired? At my last job, not in Texas, we had an employee that was told to seek treatment as they were often visibly intoxicated on the job.

Was this just a case of him hitting the hotel bar on the road a little too hard? Or was he running into the bathroom during intermissions and gulping down a flask?
Old 01-05-2020, 03:57 PM

(slight tangent)

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhh way to go Canada!

Beating Russia at the World Juniors today!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
(slight tangent)

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhh way to go Canada!

Beating Russia at the World Juniors today!
Great win for gold!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:00 PM

With one minute to play the Caps give up an empty net goal to trail the Sharks 4-2. They won 5-4 in OT. It was the most exciting end to a hockey game that I Have watched live. I donít feel sorry for the people who started to leave.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:26 PM

Andrew Burkle, son of co-owner of the Penguins Ron Burkle, has died.

They haven't said anything about the cause -- Jesus Christ, the guy was only 27.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM

One of the dastardly prettiest goals I've seen in some time - Connor McDavid undresses Morgan Reilly.
I could belt out a wall of text breaking down all the astounding "little" things he pulls off, there. I don't know how many times I've watched it. Some are putting it in all-time top 10.
To a much a larger point, though, hats off to new Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe, who's the first coach in the team's 102-y.o. history to win 15 of his first 20 games. (And has made Hutchinson a better goalie!) Helps that he was an admired coach with Leafs' main affiliate Toronto Marlies. Cool that he's encouraged a more open, free-wheeling, offensive style, (especially for the likes of Marner and Matthews) compared to Babs's more conservative defenive approach.
Leaffan - curious about your take on Tyson Barrie.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:21 PM

McDavid's goal was a beauty. He was looking back as if he was going to make a drop pass and then just hit the afterburners and blew around Reilly and roofed it from three feet out.

Tyson Barrie looks fine to me. I believe he's getting more ice time under Keefe. Nothing really stands out good or bad. He gets a decent amount of shots on net, points, and blocks shots.

He and three other Leaf defencemen are UFAs next year though, and the damned salary cap situation scares me, so it's going to be interesting.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Caps have been slumping (5-5 in their last ten). Last night Ovechkin passed Selanne for 11th place in career goals. Seven more would put him past Lemieux, Yzerman and Messier. Of course there is a significant difference in games played with Ovie having 200+ more than Mario but he has played 300-600 fewer than the others around him on the list.

Not sure how unusual it is but Backstrom signed a five year extension negotiating without an agent.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Did you happen to see Marchand screw up his shootout attempt? Classic
Old 01-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Surely made all the Marchand haters happy.

More impressive was the Flyers comeback. I like the Bruins better but have to say the Flyers showed a lot of grit.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:37 PM

Crosby's back and scoring, Geno scored twice, the Penguins won with 7 goals (CHILI!!!) and all's right with the world again.

Quote:
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I loathe Marchand, so that made me happy. On the other, it meant the Flyers won, which pisses me off.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:56 PM

In the seventh coach firing this season, Gerard Gallant has been jettisoned out of Las Vegas. They're still contending for the play-offs, and as far as I know he was quite beloved (hopefully Snoboarder Bo can confirm or correct that), so I'm sorta scratching my head over it. Especially when the replacement is Peter Deboer, who I'm pretty sure is not the most popular choice, given that his former team (and avowed Knights rivals) was San Jose.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:04 PM

Missed edit window.

Let's hope Gallant ends up in Seattle.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Caps have been slumping (5-5 in their last ten). Last night Ovechkin passed Selanne for 11th place in career goals. Seven more would put him past Lemieux, Yzerman and Messier. Of course there is a significant difference in games played with Ovie having 200+ more than Mario but he has played 300-600 fewer than the others around him on the list.

Not sure how unusual it is but Backstrom signed a five year extension negotiating without an agent.
I was wrong. That should have been nine more but he got three of them tonight.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:52 PM

Looking at the Pacific Division standings, it's amazing to see how much California absolutely su-huh-huh-hucks now, with all three franchises (LA, San Jose, amd Anaheim) well clear of the rest of the divison for CFTB (contenders for the bottom). From about 2007 to 2014-ish, a road swing into Cali was a very daunting one - all three of those teams were big and heavy-hitting, and seemingly on the cusp of auguring a bigger, meaner style of hockey that I think has since taken a slight back seat to speed and skill (along with the "whole-team-buying-in / no-superstar / grind-it-out" approach). With the 2007 Stanley Cup finals, I've never seen a team, EVER, finish their checks as much as the Ducks did in that series (and on their way to the finals), completely pummeling the Senators to a crumpled pulp en route to a SC. Guys like Thornton, Beauchemin, a young Getzlaf, Pronger, Perry (maybe not the cleanest guy), May, Parros, and Niedermeyer (who, despite being the nicest of the bunch, would still let you know if you tried to suddenly cut laterally across his blue line, or hip-check you airborne if you "felt lucky" trying to pass between him and the boards.)
Pretty well body-checked their way to a Cup. Quite something to watch.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:19 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Well, I'd say the bottom-dwelling Californians is partly due to a pretty even Western Conference. From Colorado (No 2 in the West today, 58 pts) to Minnesota (No 12 in the West, 48 pts) is only a 10 point spread (and Anaheim is still within 10 pts of a wildcard spot). A similar point spread in the East from 2nd gets you to 5th. And checking seems to be more of the game in the West, still. If anything, it seems the Cali teams are doing poorly in the conference they kind of shaped.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:25 AM

I was thinking more of the Cali teams' standing in the Pacific division rather than the Western conference standings, the latter looking at a few other factors, like, sure, there's definitely lots of parity, but with the Cali teams already that far back (yep, even before the all-star break), they've actually dug themselves into a formidable hole that, while not insurmountable (like acquiring a Binnington), is definitely making waves of concern with the exiting of DeBoer from San Jose, fans and press in LA griping about Todd McClellan making cellar dwellars out of his last two teams, and in Anaheim, they're not only doing way worse than they were at this point last season, many there have now resigned to a .500 season and focusing on rebuilding with their cap space.

YEAH! gotta love that run-on sentence.

Divisionally, I'd still maintain that it's been increasingly more speed/skill dominant in the last few seasons with the ascension of Connor McDavid, Elias Pettersson, and (a temporarily underperforming) Johnny Gaudreau, and with the diminishing "team enforcer" role in hockey, the heavy checking aspects that were a hallmark of 2007-14 Cali have also (at least for the time being) subsided, somewhat, accordingly.

an'I'll betcha the Wild don't make it either.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:42 PM

It seems like Ovechkin had been slumping a bit for a while there, but what a week he's had. 8 goals in 3 games. Back-to-back hat tricks. Passes Lemieux on the all-time goal list, then ties Yzerman. Ties Maurice Richard for 8th all-time in career hat tricks (26).

The Caps were down 4-1 to the Islanders at the beginning of the 3rd period today. The Caps ended up winning the game 6-4.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:39 PM

I absolutely, positively, LOATHE fairweather fans, and the ones who were booing Matt Murray yesterday need to GTFO.

(Some people think it MIGHT have something to do with his father's death a little over a year ago. Perhaps depression or something. Either way, shame on these so-called fans.)
Old 01-21-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Here’s a weird question I don’t know how to research. Some kinda drunk loudmouth at the sports bar last night was saying that no one has had their first NHL goal come on a shorthanded play. How would I research this? I can’t believe this, surely someone has gotten their first goal shorthanded.

Last edited by dalej42; 01-21-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Hereís a weird question I donít know how to research. Some kinda drunk loudmouth at the sports bar last night was saying that no one has had their first NHL goal come on a shorthanded play. How would I research this? I canít believe this, surely someone has gotten their first goal shorthanded.
Brad Marchand's first NHL goal was shorthanded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDLZu7PA5s
Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
Brad Marchand's first NHL goal was shorthanded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDLZu7PA5s
Ah ok, Mr bar drunk must have been messing with me as everyone knows I despise Marchand with the passion of a million burning suns.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Ah ok, Mr bar drunk must have been messing with me as everyone knows I despise Marchand with the passion of a million burning suns.
Believe me, even though I knew the piece of trivia, it was still tough for me to give the guy credit for something.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:53 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

I have nothing to say other than that was a painful way for the Stars to enter the all-star break - but what can you expect if you shuffle all the forward lines in one night with a team that's not really scoring a lot already (yep, an understatement)? Ouch.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:29 AM

Well that sucked.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 PM

Well, I for one am SHOCKED. The Flyers have always had a reputation as such a classy order!
Old 01-23-2020, 01:55 AM

The father's looking for some kind of settlement here. There's no way Gritty ran after the kid and punched him at a meet-and-greet event. Something doesn't smell right.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
The father's looking for some kind of settlement here. There's no way Gritty ran after the kid and punched him at a meet-and-greet event. Something doesn't smell right.
Well, I will confess to being a wee biased.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:52 PM

Yeah, as loathe as I am to defend anything Flyers-related, I'm not buying this guy's story at all. I saw on a hockey Facebook page someone linked to screenshots of the guy's page where he had posted photos after the event of him and his son talking about how they had a great time - and that he deleted after people had noticed. Also, there was NO ONE else around to witness this? If I'm wrong, and other evidence comes out, I'll admit it and feel bad for this guy, but barring that, I'm not buying it all.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:35 PM

Did anyone see Kris Letang's son at the All-Star Game? Oh my god, he is so precious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
Yeah, as loathe as I am to defend anything Flyers-related, I'm not buying this guy's story at all. I saw on a hockey Facebook page someone linked to screenshots of the guy's page where he had posted photos after the event of him and his son talking about how they had a great time - and that he deleted after people had noticed. Also, there was NO ONE else around to witness this? If I'm wrong, and other evidence comes out, I'll admit it and feel bad for this guy, but barring that, I'm not buying it all.
Well, it doesn't speak well of Flyers fans, either. They're tarred no matter which is true.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 01-25-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I guess it is the late 1990s again. Ed Belfour arrested in hotel.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 PM

Ovi wears a #24 jersey during warm-up, in honour of Kobe.

He's going to sign it and auction it off. Gotta love Ovi.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:12 PM

Ovie has 11 goals in five games to close out January. He passed Selšnne, Lemieux, Yzerman and Messier on the career goals list. Not a bad month for a 34 year old.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:46 PM

New thread for February. Why do I always make mistakes in the title?
Mods to the rescue!

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...4#post22113484