Old 01-16-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles
Is Pelosi withholding Impeachment articles to derail Senators?
Yes. She has been very explicit about that. The key vulnerable GOP Senators who will have to decide between joining the sham toady parade or standing up to leadership Trump inclusive, either one of which costs them something and more the more clear it is that GOP Senate leadership has prejudged the outcome and is preventing truth from coming out.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Yes. She has been very explicit about that. The key vulnerable GOP Senators who will have to decide between joining the sham toady parade or standing up to leadership Trump inclusive, either one of which costs them something and more the more clear it is that GOP Senate leadership has prejudged the outcome and is preventing truth from coming out.
So one person says I am bonkers, another says I am absolutely correct, all in the same morning.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:56 AM

Because DSeid is making a completely different point than you are. He's not agreeing with you. How can you not see that?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Because DSeid is making a completely different point than you are. He's not agreeing with you. How can you not see that?
He has conceded Pelosi was trying to hurt the primary chances of senators by withholding impeachment articles. That includes Sanders, Warren, and Klobuchar. Therefore supporters of all affected senators have reason to be upset, including Sanders, Warren, and Klobuchar supporters.

Last edited by Jim Peebles; 01-16-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
He has conceded Pelosi was trying to hurt the primary chances of senators. That includes Sanders, Warren, and Klobuchar. Therefore supporters of all affected senators have reason to be upset, including Sanders, Warren, and Klobuchar supporters.
That's not remotely what DSeid said. The straws you are grasping at are imaginary.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
That's not remotely what DSeid said. The straws you are grasping at are imaginary.
He quoted my question and answered Yes. How is that ambiguous?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:16 PM

DSeid talked about, very explicitly, GOP senators. So you're playing some game or are dyslexic.

Last edited by CarnalK; 01-16-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:18 PM

Let us make this very clear. The idea that Pelosi is making tactical decision with the D presidential primary in mind, aiming to handicap the D senator candidates is bonkers.

She IS making a tactical decision to impact senators, a few very specific ones: the several R senators in vulnerable races. Flipping the Senate is the very ambitious goal that she is trying to optimize the odds of.

Correct that there is nothing ambiguous in what I wrote so your misunderstanding of it is very odd.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 PM

Ok, so you two are saying the damage to the campaigns of Sanders, Warren, and Klobuchar is colateral damage, and no one should care.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So one person says I am bonkers, another says I am absolutely correct, all in the same morning.
Rabbis Weiss, Friedman, and Bloom are discussing an intricate matter of scripture. Weiss and Bloom are taking one side, Friedman is steadfastly holding to the other. The argument goes on for hours. Finally, a booming voice from the heavens comes and says "Rabbi Friedman is right!"

After a long pause Rabbi Weiss says "So, now we're tied at 2 each."

You're wrong, and your whole premise is ludicrous.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM

You haven't shown that they will be damaged in the way that the GOP senators are at risk to be damaged. Since when do Senators get to stop being Senators while running for office? The Dem senators will be fighting for what their voters want in the very public spotlight of the impeachment trial. The GOP senators will be caught between a rock and a hard place. Piss off the base, or piss off literally everyone else. You must be able to see the difference here, right?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
You haven't shown that they will be damaged in the way that the GOP senators are at risk to be damaged. Since when do Senators get to stop being Senators while running for office? The Dem senators will be fighting for what their voters want in the very public spotlight of the impeachment trial. The GOP senators will be caught between a rock and a hard place. Piss off the base, or piss off literally everyone else. You must be able to see the difference here, right?
I would argue low information voters are swayed by the candidate who just visited their area. While voters who are informed know the impeachment is a sham. So the Dem senators are stuck in DC unable to sway the low info voters, while Biden can travel all over the country swaying them.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Since when do Senators get to stop being Senators while running for office?
Since always. Presidential candidates who are Senators can often have poor attendance records in the year they run. The difference here is that current rules require their attendance at impeachment sessions.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Ok, so you two are saying the damage to the campaigns of Sanders, Warren, and Klobuchar is colateral damage, and no one should care.
You keep drawing conclusions that are not remotely supported by what is being said. If you prefer to debate with strawmen, the rest of us can bow out of this conversation and leave you to it.

Also, "voters who are informed" noticed that the President basically admitted to the thing he is accused of, his Chief of Staff blatantly admitted it, the GAO have just confirmed it, and Trump and Barr committed and continue to commit obstruction of justice by disregarding and instructing others to disregard Congressional subpoenas. Voters who get their news from FoxNews probably missed all that for some reason.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You keep drawing conclusions that are not remotely supported by what is being said. If you prefer to debate with strawmen, the rest of us can bow out of this conversation and leave you to it.

Also, "voters who are informed" noticed that the President basically admitted to the thing he is accused of, his Chief of Staff blatantly admitted it, the GAO have just confirmed it, and Trump and Barr committed and continue to commit obstruction of justice by disregarding and instructing others to disregard Congressional subpoenas. Voters who get their news from FoxNews probably missed all that for some reason.
It's not a strawman. You just don't like the scope of this particular debate. I think we are all in agreement now that Pelosi withheld the articles to derail Senators. So I have won the debate. Now you want to create the strawman that we are debating whether the impeachment is a sham or not.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It's not a strawman. You just don't like the scope of this particular debate. I think we are all in agreement now that Pelosi withheld the articles to derail Senators. So I have won the debate. Now you want to create the strawman that we are debating whether the impeachment is a sham or not.
Congratulations on your self-declared victory! You appear to be learning from the best at declaring victory, facts be damned -- Trump himself. Well done!
Old 01-16-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It's not a strawman.
It is.
Quote:
You just don't like the scope of this particular debate.
This is nonsense.
Quote:
I think we are all in agreement now that Pelosi withheld the articles to derail Senators.
Except that everyone else is pointing out that she's looking to derail Republican Senators and you keep insisting that it's about Sanders, Warren and Klobuchar. So we're only "in agreement" if you build that strawman.
Quote:
So I have won the debate.
If you say so. Feel free to buy yourself a trophy.
Quote:
Now you want to create the strawman that we are debating whether the impeachment is a sham or not.
Remind me who asserted that the "impeachment is a sham" in the first place? Oh yes - it was you. I directly responded to a statement you made and even provided evidence for my position. That's how debates actually work, rather than by pretending that other people said the opposite of what they did say and then claiming victory.

So you 1) built a strawman, 2) don't appear to know what a strawman is, and c) don't appear to understand how debates work. So much winning happening here.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
It is.
This is nonsense.
Except that everyone else is pointing out that she's looking to derail Republican Senators and you keep insisting that it's about Sanders, Warren and Klobuchar. So we're only "in agreement" if you build that strawman.
If you say so. Feel free to buy yourself a trophy.
Remind me who asserted that the "impeachment is a sham" in the first place? Oh yes - it was you. I directly responded to a statement you made and even provided evidence for my position. That's how debates actually work, rather than by pretending that other people said the opposite of what they did say and then claiming victory.

So you 1) built a strawman, 2) don't appear to know what a strawman is, and c) don't appear to understand how debates work. So much winning happening here.
We have all agreed Pelosi withheld the articles to derail Senators. That's all I was wondering. Now there is a new claim: only Republican Senator campaigns can be damaged by it. Unfortunately that is a new debate.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
When the impeacent trial is going on Senators can't campaign. (Although as a side debate: how enforceable is that rule?) Do you think Pelosi is holding off on submitting the impeachment articles until the best time to say derail Sanders in the primaries, or Republican senators trying to get reelected to the Senate?
Do you think an (impeacement) trial for a Republican potus has the same effect for R and D senators?

The Ds are conducting a civics clinic. The Rs are committing suicide by lie.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I would argue low information voters are swayed by the candidate who just visited their area. While voters who are informed know the impeachment is a sham. So the Dem senators are stuck in DC unable to sway the low info voters, while Biden can travel all over the country swaying them.
This is such an absurd argument that it borders on the diabolical.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I think we are all in agreement now that Pelosi withheld the articles to derail Senators.
I think the quibble now is over which party's senators were targets of derailment.

Quote:
So I have won the debate.
Congratulations!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I provided a link to a Buzzfeed article above which talks about the VERY restrictive Senate rules for Senators during an impeachment trual. Sanders, Warren, and Klo-bee supporters should be VERY upset that their candidates have to be physically present 6 days a week most of the day. I think it restricts them from holding campaign events 6 days a week. While Biden can hit a different state every day with a campaign event leading up to Iowa. They rigged it against Bernie in 2016, and they are doing it again. Enjoy the protest votes / stay homers on Election Day 2020 from upset Sanders, Warren, and Klo-bee supporters. Heck, I think they should run independent third party now.
Awwwww; how cute! Of course you do! Bless your heart! You're ever so special to us!
Old 01-17-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I think the quibble now is over which party's senators were targets of derailment.

Congratulations!
The quibbles with Peebles? No red meat here, just kibble. It's feeble.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

LOL, Trump says it, so it must be true:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...930926082?s=20

"They are rigging the election again against Bernie Sanders, just like last time, only even more obviously. They are bringing him out of so important Iowa in order that, as a Senator, he sit through the Impeachment Hoax Trial. Crazy Nancy thereby gives the strong edge to Sleepy..."

Dipshit can't link tweets so gonna leave it up to the reader to figure out who was being called "Sleepy".
Old 01-17-2020, 11:44 AM

"Sleepy Joe" is his nickname for Biden. Because of course we have a president who gives everyone childish nicknames.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
The quibbles with Peebles? No red meat here, just kibble. It's feeble.
+1
Old 01-18-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
We have all agreed Pelosi withheld the articles to derail Senators. That's all I was wondering. Now there is a new claim: only Republican Senator campaigns can be damaged by it. Unfortunately that is a new debate.
No that wasn't all you were wondering. You specifically mentioned in the OP the "campaign" and "Sanders". You also asked about Republican senators (so how is it a "new debate"?).

Everyone in this thread (except you) seems to agree that she withheld the articles to hurt Republican senators and not Democratic ones who are campaigning.