Old 01-20-2020, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
As a die-hard Packer fan I canít say I was very surprised by the outcome. Green Bay has been inconsistent to lousy over the past months and made the playoffs from a really crappy NFC north this year. I think most Packer fans, while upset by the loss, probably didnít really feel it was our year anyways.
Same for the Vikings. Mediocre team that got a lucky game against a New Orleans team that had a crappy game.
49ers are legit this year as well as the Chiefs. Should make for a good game.
I bleed green and gold, but the Packers are the worst 13-3 team I have even seen.

I preferred them to lose to the 49ers than lose in the Super Bowl. I have a brother-in-law who lives in KC and is a Chiefs fan to an obnoxious degree. He'd of never let me live it down if they beat Green Bay in the big game.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

A lot of us were hoping for a GB win last night, but none more than the ad executive who put together the Aaron Rodgers / Patrick Mahomes State Farm ads.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
His accuracy is definitely down compared to the past. In his prime (say, 2010-2015), he was completing 66% to 68% of his passes; he's been around 62% the past two seasons.

When a QB misses an "open" receiver, it's also a question of whether the receiver was where he was supposed to be, and I think that's something that's hard for a viewer to suss out tell while watching a game. I do think that Rodgers's accuracy isn't what it was, but I also know that he's had to work with a lot of young receivers the past few years, and that may also be playing a role.
Somebody must be analyzing this; I mean, surely people IN THE NFL have a way of measuring the "fault," for want of a better word, of incomplete passes, or else you'd be at risk of completely not understanding what the problem is.

This is 50 years between Super Bowl appearances for the Chiefs; that is, of course, an all time record, since they've only been holding Super Bowls for 54 years. The Jets, who won SB III and haven't been in it since, could break that record if they ever get their shit together, but there will be no other candidates for awhile. Every other franchise that was in an early Super Bowl has been an in an intervening Super Bowl (I am counting the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts as one team, of course.)

The next time it will be possible for this record to fall will be Super Bowl LXII, when it'll be 51 years since Minnesota lost to Oakland in 1977, assuming the Vikings don't make it between now and then.

After the Jets and Vikings, the next candidate is, interestingly, the Dolphins, who got pulverized by the Niners in 1984. That Super Bowl is interesting in that it was the last time the game was in the home market of one of the teams - they played it at Stanford, which I guess counts as being in the Niners' home market. It's a little closer to San Jose, I suppose.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-20-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
As a fan of neither team, at what point do I turn it off?
I'm a big fan of one team, and I turned it off at halftime to watch Star Trek.

The pain is less this way. I don't feel this way that I wasted 90 minutes.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Somebody must be analyzing this; I mean, surely people IN THE NFL have a way of measuring the "fault," for want of a better word, of incomplete passes, or else you'd be at risk of completely not understanding what the problem is.
I'm fairly certain that the teams and coaches do exactly this when they review game film. They know what play was called, and what routes the receivers should have been running. They also know what adjustments to the play should have been made if the quarterback called an audible (or if the play has different options based on what the defense is presenting, pre-snap), and how the receivers should adjust their routes if a play breaks down. My understanding is that the coaching staffs *do* grade all of their players on every play, based on careful study of the game films, and if, for example, Rodgers is missing a lot of open receivers, they're likely able to figure out if it's Rodgers' fault, or the receivers'.

My point was that we, as fans, have no way of knowing these things, and the announcers really don't, either (though they might make some educated guesses). One can sometimes surmise what's gone wrong on a missed play by body language, or by who's yelling at who after the play.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-20-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:26 PM

A Kansas City team in the "American" half of its sport going for its first championship in decades against a San Francisco team in the "National" half of its sport.

I wonder how bad and uncomfortable a case of deja vu the Kansas City sports fan base has right now.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 01-20-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
A Kansas City team in the "American" half of its sport going for its first championship in decades against a San Francisco team in the "National" half of its sport.

I wonder how bad and uncomfortable a case of deja vu the Kansas City sports fan base has right now.
Not a good comparison, though. Kind of backwards. The 49ers have, like the Royals, always been in one city.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:43 PM

For the next thread, may I suggest...

"SUPER BOWLing for dollars"

or, if you're feeling more literary...

"SUPER BOWL and the pussycat"
Old 01-20-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post

I can't speak for the vast majority of the KC sports fan base, but I can tell you that among my group of Royals/Chiefs fans, we have absolutely no case of deja vu.

In 2014 the Royals came out of nowhere to qualify for the playoffs and had a miraculous postseason run to reach the World Series. And then they won the World Series the next season.

In 2019 the Chiefs opened as Super Bowl favorites. They made the playoffs for the fifth straight season.

The fact that the 2014 Royals and 2019 Chiefs will both have opponents from San Francisco is rather meaningless. And we certainly don't feel bad and uncomfortable about that fact.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:50 PM

I heard the game will be called “Super Bowl LIV: Joe Montana Plays with Himself”
Old 01-20-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
For the next thread, may I suggest...

"SUPER BOWLing for dollars"

or, if you're feeling more literary...

"SUPER BOWL and the pussycat"
ďSuperb Owl and the PussycatĒ

I just like the fact that this Super Bowl has the same name as Steven Tylerís daughter.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I just like the fact that this Super Bowl has the same name as Steven Tylerís daughter.
One of my failed rap names is "MC LIX"
Old 01-21-2020, 11:38 AM

Well, that could have gone better.

The Niners are clearly a better team, and I think the Packers knew that. They missed tackles, missed assignments, and simply couldnt stop the run game. The Packers, with that pass rush and secondary, are built to beat the stereotyped "modern", pass first, RPO, QB is the only thing that matters, NFL. The Niners are not that team and just whupped the Packers ass. Kudos to that defense and running game. Outstanding.

I'm super excited for this Super Bowl. Two great teams, each different, facing off. Unstoppable force v. Immovable object. And since I like Andy Reid and I like defense and running game, no matter who wins, I'll be fine. I just want a good game.

Last edited by Hamlet; 01-21-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 PM

Weirdly, I think the 49ers are a better team, but I also think the Chiefs are a lock to win.

You do make an interesting point, Hamlet, and the Titans game notwithstanding, it could be the same kind of deal in the Superbowl that gives the 49ers the win.

I'm slightly rooting for the Chiefs, but it's close enough that I could go back and forth all game.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:41 PM

Reminds me of SBXXV, Bills-Giants. The Bills with the explosive passing game, the Giants with the old-fashioned ball-control game. The Giants consumed 40 minutes of time of possession and narrowly won a low-scoring contest.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:16 PM

Technically, the Giants weren't quite doing old school ground game football that game because they didn't even try to stop the run. Belichick had to convince his defense in the game plan because they knew going in that Thurman Thomas was going to have a monster game, which was a tough sell since they had allowed the 4th fewest rushing yards all season. Essentially, the defense had to swallow their pride to get the win.

Belichick's brilliance was on full display: We're not going to stop the run (Thomas rushed for 135 yards on just 15 carries) or even pressure the passer. Instead, they focused on pressuring the receivers. That wouldn't fly in today's game -- DPI all day long -- but in 1990 it was a master stroke of innovative genius.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

We don’t have an offseason thread yet but Eli Manning is retiring.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:11 PM

And Philip Rivers moved to Florida, rumors are he may be replacing Winston in Tampa Bay.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...ing-linked-to/

I’ve also heard rumors of Brady going to the Chargers, even before this.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
And Philip Rivers moved to Florida, rumors are he may be replacing Winston in Tampa Bay.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...ing-linked-to/

Iíve also heard rumors of Brady going to the Chargers, even before this.
There's no way this happens...right?
Old 01-22-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Iíve also heard about him going to the Raiders. I guess weíll see.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:10 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Looks at old pictures of Unitas, and Namath, and Montana, and Manning.

No, there's no way this happens.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-23-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Weirdly, I think the 49ers are a better team, but I also think the Chiefs are a lock to win.

You do make an interesting point, Hamlet, and the Titans game notwithstanding, it could be the same kind of deal in the Superbowl that gives the 49ers the win.

I'm slightly rooting for the Chiefs, but it's close enough that I could go back and forth all game.
To me the 49ers are the better team, overall, and I like their "old school" approach. But Patrick Mahomes is a real handful. I expect a close (and hopefully well-played) game.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Reminds me of SBXXV, Bills-Giants. The Bills with the explosive passing game, the Giants with the old-fashioned ball-control game. The Giants consumed 40 minutes of time of possession and narrowly won a low-scoring contest.
I guess I see the similarities, but I'd argue that both of these offenses are pretty explosive. And I've come to believe that "control the clock" just doesn't really work in the NFL unless you get turnovers - both teams get the ball the same number of times. In that SB, for example, even with a 2-to-1 clock advantage, both teams earned almost exactly the same yardage and points. Also, lest we trigger Bills fans, they really should have won...

The big question to me for this SB is can the SF passing defense slow down the Chiefs offense at all. If they can pressure Mahomes, while containing him if he runs, and somehow stick with Kelce, Hill, Hardman, and Watkins then they have a chance. I don't have a ton of confidence in the Chiefs defense to control the SF offense like they did the Titans, so I don't think a 20-19 final like in Bills-Giants is on the cards.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
I guess I see the similarities, but I'd argue that both of these offenses are pretty explosive. And I've come to believe that "control the clock" just doesn't really work in the NFL unless you get turnovers - both teams get the ball the same number of times. In that SB, for example, even with a 2-to-1 clock advantage, both teams earned almost exactly the same yardage and points. Also, lest we trigger Bills fans, they really should have won...

The big question to me for this SB is can the SF passing defense slow down the Chiefs offense at all. If they can pressure Mahomes, while containing him if he runs, and somehow stick with Kelce, Hill, Hardman, and Watkins then they have a chance. I don't have a ton of confidence in the Chiefs defense to control the SF offense like they did the Titans, so I don't think a 20-19 final like in Bills-Giants is on the cards.
I just read an article in The Athletic that basically confirmed your point on time-of-possession. The article argued that it's not how long you possess the ball, it's what you do when you possess the ball. For instance, in the Chiefs-Titans game on Sunday, the Titans possessed the ball for over 19 minutes in the first half and scored on 3 of their 4 possessions (2 TDs, 1 FG). The Chiefs, then, had the ball for less than 11 minutes, but also scored on 3 of their 4 possessions (3 TDs), and had the lead at halftime.

In the second half, however, it was KC that controlled the ball. TOP ended up virtually even, and it was the Chiefs that had a long time-consuming drive: 13 plays, 73 yards, 7:08 off the clock. This drive featured only 3 passes (1 of which was incomplete) and ended up with a touchdown.

In the NFC championship game, the Niners had 285 yards rushing and 69 yards passing. But their TD drives, which were mostly (all?) on the ground, were basically quick strikes. The Packers actually won the TOP, 31 minutes to 29 minutes.

Your point about both offenses being explosive is spot on.