Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725

Trump did not know what happened at Pearl Harbor


He thinks it involved Washington or Lincoln

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-rep...182600170.html
  #2  
Old 01-16-2020, 10:25 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16,565
I mean, this is the guy who said that the Americans warred with the Brits over "airports" during the Revolutionary War.
  #3  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:06 PM
Mike Mabes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I knew that was going to be brought up. It has been before. At the time I said that I didn't think even Trump was that stupid. I was cleary wrong.

The instrument has yet to be invented that can measure the stupidity of this man.
  #4  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 PM
Fugazi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,428
Pearl Harbor? Isn't that where the Germans bombed us. But we decided it wasn't over.


(Pretty bad when Bluto is smarter than our Commander-in-Chief. At least Bluto knew it was one of the enemies from WWII that bombed us.)
  #5  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:30 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20,812
The Washington Post article linked to by OP's link gives more disturbing details, e.g.
Quote:
President Trump reveals himself as woefully uninformed about the basics of geography, incorrectly telling Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, “It’s not like you’ve got China on your border.” He toys with awarding himself the Medal of Freedom.
...
“Tillerson’s years of negotiating with Putin and studying his moves on the chessboard were suddenly irrelevant,” the duo writes. “ ‘I have had a two-hour meeting with Putin,’ Trump told Tillerson. ‘That’s all I need to know. . . . I’ve sized it all up. I’ve got it.’ ”
...
Some details are more harmless than disconcerting. Early in his presidency, Trump agrees to participate in an HBO documentary that features judges and lawmakers — as well as all the living presidents — reading aloud from the Constitution. But Trump struggles and stumbles over the text, blaming others in the room for his mistakes and griping, “It’s like a foreign language.”
...
Some of the modest details in the book end up having larger consequences. After Trump bungles his India-China geography and seems to dismiss the threat China poses to India, for instance, the authors write that “Modi’s eyes bulged out in surprise.”

“Modi’s expression gradually shifted, from shock and concern to resignation,” they continue, adding that one Trump aide concludes Modi probably “left that meeting and said, ‘This is not a serious man. I cannot count on this man as a partner.’ ”

After the meeting, the aide explains to them, “ ‘the Indians took a step back’ in their diplomatic relations with the United States.”
  #6  
Old 01-17-2020, 05:32 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Trump did not know what happened at Pearl Harbor
This is the least surprising thing I've heard today.

Last edited by bobot; 01-17-2020 at 05:33 AM.
  #7  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:41 AM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 42,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
He thinks it involved Washington or Lincoln

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-rep...182600170.html
I have my doubts just based on the story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Donnell
He reportedly appeared to think he was visiting the site of a historic battle, which isn't necessarily an inaccurate description — the attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise Japanese military strike against a U.S. naval base that prompted Washington's entry into World War II.
Huh?

That is not "isn't necessarily an inaccurate description." That is an absolutely perfect description. Pearl Harbor was a battle, and was of historic significance. What the hell is O'Donnell talking about?
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!

Last edited by RickJay; 01-17-2020 at 08:41 AM.
  #8  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:56 AM
DrFidelius's Avatar
DrFidelius is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 12,605
Using "Washington [D.C.]" as a synecdoche for the U.S. government is perfectly acceptable.

I must, reluctantly, give the Grand Nagus a point for this.
__________________
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
  #9  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I believe what happened there was that his teleprompter read that the Continentals "manned the ramparts", but Loser Donald had no idea what a "rampart" was or how to use "manned" as a verb, so he stumbled over his own tongue until he found an adjacent phrase that made sense to his addled brain.
  #10  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
why did he ask "What's this about?" If he knew the whole story?
  #11  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:09 AM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,027
Donald Trump didn't know something. I, for one, am shocked. Shocked I tells ya!

...

Oh, wait, no the opposite of that. Donald Trump is unbelievably ignorant. He's even ignorant on subjects that you would think that as a successful (oh god, make it stop) businessman he wouldn't be so ignorant. Trump is proof that if you could only get (steal) $400 million, you too, could be rich. And probably richer than Trump since his track record in business is dismal. Trump's only useful (it hurts, please no more) skill is somehow convincing people that he's a successful businessman. He created this myth around himself, that kind of stuck for some reason.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 01-17-2020 at 09:11 AM.
  #12  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:16 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I believe what happened there was that his teleprompter read that the Continentals "manned the ramparts", but Loser Donald had no idea what a "rampart" was or how to use "manned" as a verb, so he stumbled over his own tongue until he found an adjacent phrase that made sense to his addled brain.
O'er the airports we watched
Were so gallantly streaming.
And the rocket's red glare,
The bombs bursting in air...



Yeah... it makes sense that you'd have rockets and bombs at an airport. "Ramparts" doesn't make any sense, right?
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #13  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I believe what happened there was that his teleprompter read that the Continentals "manned the ramparts", but Loser Donald had no idea what a "rampart" was or how to use "manned" as a verb, so he stumbled over his own tongue until he found an adjacent phrase that made sense to his addled brain.
So he thought that they had "rammed the manparts"?
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #14  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:34 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I have my doubts just based on the story:
Huh?

That is not "isn't necessarily an inaccurate description." That is an absolutely perfect description. Pearl Harbor was a battle, and was of historic significance. What the hell is O'Donnell talking about?
Did you read my #5? It has quotes from the WP article based on A Very Stable Genius, a new book by Washington Post reporters Philip Rucker and Carol Leonnig. Not as good as quoting from the book, but better than discussing the "meat" as first filtered by Yahoo, then by OP.

The quote your responding to was a 4th-hand impression of what seems like an interesting book. Let's discuss the interesting book, please, not the result of a game of "Gossip."
  #15  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:42 AM
TheCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
why did he ask "What's this about?" If he knew the whole story?
Maybe he didn't ask that?

When the term "reportedly said," is used (as was used in the article) I take it with a grain of salt.
  #16  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 27,680
Can you imagine the unholy shitstorm that would erupt if a staffer told Trump about the Zimmerman telegram, wherein back in January of '17, Germany proposed a military alliance with Mexico to fight the United States?
  #17  
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 PM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 42,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
why did he ask "What's this about?" If he knew the whole story?
Absent context, we don't know. Since you're drawing that quote from a story that implies Pearl Harbor wasn't exactly a historic battle, consider the source.

Donald Trump is an ignoramus, but this is a dreadful bit of reporting.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #18  
Old 01-17-2020, 12:35 PM
Defensive Indifference is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Can you imagine the unholy shitstorm that would erupt if a staffer told Trump about the Zimmerman telegram, wherein back in January of '17, Germany proposed a military alliance with Mexico to fight the United States?
The Florida guy who shot that black kid? Am I giving him a medal?
  #19  
Old 01-17-2020, 01:40 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,785
That’s not the worst thing in the book, by far. The “Trump is an Ignorant Idiot” anecdotes are amusing but I prefer to save my derision for the really scary stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...85d_story.html

QUOTE FROM THE ARTICLE

“In Spring 2017, Trump also clashed with Tillerson when he told him he wanted his help getting rid of the Corrupt Foreign Practices Act, a 1977 law that prevents US firms and individuals from bribing foreign officials for business deals.

“It’s just so unfair that US companies aren’t allowed to pay bribes to get business overseas” Trump says, according to the book. “We’re going to change that”.

So much for his corruption fighting narrative

I’ve got to admit that I find three words in the above story hard to believe, and that is the phrase “clashed with Tillerson”. I’m surprised he wasn’t on board.
  #20  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
It’s just so unfair that US companies aren’t allowed to pay bribes to get business overseas” Trump says, according to the book. “We’re going to change that”.
I find the wording of this very questionable. I don't doubt that Trump might want American companies to be able to bribe or illicit foreign officials, but I highly doubt he'd actually say things that bluntly. This whole sentence smacks of poorly-written projection by the book author.

That would be like a tell-all book about Bill Clinton, "quoting" Clinton, "It's so unfair that I can't have an extramarital blowjob with my 25-year old intern in the Oval Office and then commit perjury as well!"

Last edited by Velocity; 01-17-2020 at 02:59 PM.
  #21  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Hari Seldon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Trantor
Posts: 13,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I have my doubts just based on the story:


Huh?

That is not "isn't necessarily an inaccurate description." That is an absolutely perfect description. Pearl Harbor was a battle, and was of historic significance. What the hell is O'Donnell talking about?
The quote in question was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Donnell
He reportedly appeared to think he was visiting the site of a historic battle, which isn't necessarily an inaccurate description — the attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise Japanese military strike against a U.S. naval base that prompted Washington's entry into World War II.
I read this as that everything after the dash was the Post's addendum to explain what actually happened and not Trump's explanation which would been incompatible with Trump's asking what the visit was all about.
  #22  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
He read about Pearl Harbor in 2 Corinthians but forgot it.
  #23  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:11 PM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Absent context, we don't know. Since you're drawing that quote from a story that implies Pearl Harbor wasn't exactly a historic battle, consider the source.

Donald Trump is an ignoramus, but this is a dreadful bit of reporting.
The Yahoo article seems to mangle the story. Here's the piece from WaPo (bolding mine):

Quote:
“Hey, John, what’s this all about? What’s this a tour of?” Trump asks his then-Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, as the men prepare to take a private tour of the USS Arizona Memorial, which commemorates the December 1941 Japanese surprise attack in the Pacific that pulled the United States into World War II.

“Trump had heard the phrase ‘Pearl Harbor’ and appeared to understand that he was visiting the scene of a historic battle, but he did not seem to know much else,” write the authors, later quoting a former senior White House adviser who concludes: “He was at times dangerously uninformed.”
  #24  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:30 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
why did he ask "What's this about?" If he knew the whole story?
I assume he was asking about the specific location - that is, what was "the USS Arizona Memorial" about. Not that many people are left who remember just what happened to the Arizona (or the California, or Oklahoma, or West Virginia).

It's not as if he got the date wrong, like George H.W. Bush did.
  #25  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,746
NPR speculates that the "former senior adviser" is John Kelly.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-17-2020 at 03:47 PM.
  #26  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I find the wording of this very questionable. I don't doubt that Trump might want American companies to be able to bribe or illicit foreign officials, but I highly doubt he'd actually say things that bluntly. This whole sentence smacks of poorly-written projection by the book author.

That would be like a tell-all book about Bill Clinton, "quoting" Clinton, "It's so unfair that I can't have an extramarital blowjob with my 25-year old intern in the Oval Office and then commit perjury as well!"
Yeah, I can’t see him actually saying the word bribe. And I can’t see Tillerson, the same Rex Tillerson that as the head of Exxon threw millions of dollars at corrupt despots ruling oil rich lands with no regard to any consideration other than their respect for contract sanctity, clashing on the position.

But I can see Trump wanting to repeal the law.
  #27  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:33 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
He thinks it involved Washington or Lincoln

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-rep...182600170.html
I have no problem with the notion that Trump's knowledge of things, many things, is lacking. But I see nothing at Yahoo nor the Post that shows that Trump did not know what happened at Pearl Harbor, and nothing about it involving Washington or Lincoln. Did I miss that part?

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 01-17-2020 at 04:38 PM.
  #28  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:35 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
Pearl Harbor? Isn't that where the Germans bombed us. But we decided it wasn't over.


(Pretty bad when Bluto is smarter than our Commander-in-Chief. At least Bluto knew it was one of the enemies from WWII that bombed us.)
Hey, Bluto became a Senator, so he's at least as smart as some of them.
  #29  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:45 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
I have no problem with the notion that Trump's knowledge of things, many things, is lacking. But I see nothing at Yahoo nor the Post that shows that Trump did not know what happened at Pearl Harbor, and nothing about it involving Washington or Lincoln. Did I miss that part?
The Abe and George part is what is called humor.
  #30  
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
The Abe and George part is what is called humor.
I had a long, mind-numbing day at work before posting that, but not so bad that as I was walking out it didn't hit he me that "oh, Bijou Drains was just joking!"

But what about the Pearl Harbor part?

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 01-17-2020 at 06:51 PM.
  #31  
Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
So he thought that they had "rammed the manparts"?
It's a habit of his - whenever he mispronounces something, he starts repeating himself until he gets it "right", no matter how little sense it makes to those of us who are not Very Stable Geniuses.

Last edited by Smapti; 01-17-2020 at 07:32 PM.
  #32  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 PM
Saintly Loser is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
It's not as if he got the date wrong, like George H.W.
Bush did.
I vaguely remember that. Wasn't he the Vice President then?

But in any case, given the elder Bush's distinguished service record during the Second World War, I think we can cut him a bit of slack for that mistake.
  #33  
Old 01-18-2020, 12:49 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Did you read my #5? It has quotes from the WP article based on A Very Stable Genius, a new book by Washington Post reporters Philip Rucker and Carol Leonnig. Not as good as quoting from the book, but better than discussing the "meat" as first filtered by Yahoo, then by OP.

The quote your responding to was a 4th-hand impression of what seems like an interesting book. Let's discuss the interesting book, please, not the result of a game of "Gossip."
No response to this. Dopers focus on a stupid "joke"(!?) in OP rather than focus on the (mis-)linked substance.

I once heard about a great message board where smart people fight ignorance. The SDMB is not that message board.
  #34  
Old 01-18-2020, 01:06 AM
LoneRhino is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
Pearl Harbor? Isn't that where the Germans bombed us. But we decided it wasn't over.


(Pretty bad when Bluto is smarter than our Commander-in-Chief. At least Bluto knew it was one of the enemies from WWII that bombed us.)
That's Senator Blutarsky to you sir.
  #35  
Old 01-18-2020, 01:28 AM
asterion is offline
Your Ad Here
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 11,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
That’s not the worst thing in the book, by far. The “Trump is an Ignorant Idiot” anecdotes are amusing but I prefer to save my derision for the really scary stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...85d_story.html

QUOTE FROM THE ARTICLE

“In Spring 2017, Trump also clashed with Tillerson when he told him he wanted his help getting rid of the Corrupt Foreign Practices Act, a 1977 law that prevents US firms and individuals from bribing foreign officials for business deals.

“It’s just so unfair that US companies aren’t allowed to pay bribes to get business overseas” Trump says, according to the book. “We’re going to change that”.

So much for his corruption fighting narrative

I’ve got to admit that I find three words in the above story hard to believe, and that is the phrase “clashed with Tillerson”. I’m surprised he wasn’t on board.
I mean, I think the FCPA is a good law to have, but every year I get training on it and it's never really clear what's an acceptable bit of baksheesh that's culturally expected and what's a bribe. It doesn't actually matter for my job, but at least the company can say I've read the training and signed the documentation.
  #36  
Old 01-18-2020, 07:25 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
Bush Sr. mentioned Pearl Harbor was on Sept 7th
  #37  
Old 01-18-2020, 09:17 AM
robby's Avatar
robby is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Bush Sr. mentioned Pearl Harbor was on Sept 7th
George H.W. either misspoke or had a memory slip-up when he said that. It’s the equivalent of a verbal typo.

It’s not the same thing as not knowing the significance of the Arizona Memorial, or what happened at Pearl Harbor.
  #38  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:13 AM
TheCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Bush Sr. mentioned Pearl Harbor was on Sept 7th
He misspoke. Just like when Obama was a candidate and claimed he's been to all 57 states.

People do misspeak.
  #39  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:40 AM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
But what about the Pearl Harbor part?
Did you read the first paragraph of the linked Yahoo article?
  #40  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
I certainly don't think Bush Sr. was dumb , agree it was just a slip up.

BTW he came very close to being captured by the Japanese in WW 2. And if he was captured he probably would have ended up on an island where many POWs were killed. And some of them were eaten.
  #41  
Old 01-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Exapno Mapcase is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
That's Senator Blutarsky to you sir.
Yeah, and he's now going to acquit Trump without hearing any new testimony.
  #42  
Old 01-18-2020, 12:27 PM
rsat3acr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Bush Sr. mentioned Pearl Harbor was on Sept 7th
maybe PTSD from having been in combat, although maybe trump has PTSP from those awful bonespurs.
  #43  
Old 01-18-2020, 12:58 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,893
GHW Bush’s Pearl Harbor was slightly more than a slip of the tongue because he gave a speech and said that “today” was the anniversary a few months before the actual anniversary in December. It’s not that he was ignorant but I’d classify it as more of a brain fart rather than plain misspeaking. He Knew the facts but they eluded him for the moment.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.

Last edited by Acsenray; 01-18-2020 at 12:59 PM.
  #44  
Old 01-18-2020, 04:12 PM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 1,655
I don't really know what happened at Pearl Harbor either - an uncle was there but I wasn't and I haven't visited the site. I have general ideas of disbelieved radar operators, most of the Pacific fleet dispersed already, "a day to live in infamy," and such. If I was visiting, I'd brief myself on which ship was sunk where, and be glad my dad's carrier was elsewhere then. (He had three shot out from under him.) But I'd make sure I wouldn't have to ask, "What's this?"

This POTUS said there are nice Nazis. My father and uncles fought the Axis. Were they on the wrong side?
  #45  
Old 01-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 6,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
I mean, I think the FCPA is a good law to have, but every year I get training on it and it's never really clear what's an acceptable bit of baksheesh that's culturally expected and what's a bribe. It doesn't actually matter for my job, but at least the company can say I've read the training and signed the documentation.
I get the same sort of training (and it doesn't matter for my job, either), but my takeaway is that it is never, ever acceptable even if the culture you're doing business in "expects it". No bribes, baksheesh, expensive gifts, ins with politicians, dinners out, red carpet premieres, tickets to sold-out plays, lagniappe, nothing. Ever.
  #46  
Old 01-19-2020, 11:03 AM
Crane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,184
Trump probably figured Pearl Harbor was the pseudonym of a stripper …. ya know... like Tempest Storm.
  #47  
Old 01-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
all major businesses have rules against offering bribes to anyone. If you do it you likely get fired real fast.

Also in the same book they write Mr. Bone Spurs called the US military leaders babies and dopes.
  #48  
Old 01-20-2020, 08:32 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
George Conway is tweeting excerpts from "Stable Genius" book which is coming out Tuesday the 21st. Funny but sad stuff :

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d
  #49  
Old 01-20-2020, 08:58 AM
kitap is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I get the same sort of training (and it doesn't matter for my job, either), but my takeaway is that it is never, ever acceptable even if the culture you're doing business in "expects it". No bribes, baksheesh, expensive gifts, ins with politicians, dinners out, red carpet premieres, tickets to sold-out plays, lagniappe, nothing. Ever.
Yep. I have to watch a video on it every year even though the odds that I will ever be in that situation is nil. Basically the take away I got was: you can bring a couple of cheap pens with your company name on it to give to a company President and everything else gets cleared through legal and it they say no, it's a no.
  #50  
Old 01-20-2020, 09:30 AM
MacCat's Avatar
MacCat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
Trump probably figured Pearl Harbor was the pseudonym of a stripper …. ya know... like Tempest Storm.
He did suffer through the Stormy Daniels sneak attack. So unfair!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017