View Poll Results: What candidate agreed the most with you?
Joe Biden 7 9.59%
Mike Bloomberg 3 4.11%
Pete Buttigieg 6 8.22%
Tulsi Gabbard 1 1.37%
Amy Klobuchar 6 8.22%
Bernie Sanders 4 5.48%
Tom Steyer 5 6.85%
Elizabeth Warren 24 32.88%
Andrew Yang 17 23.29%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2020, 03:39 PM

WaPo Candidate Quiz - Democrats

The Washington Post recently posted a "Which of these 2020 Democrats agrees with you most?" online quiz.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...grees-with-me/

Who was your front-runner?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:45 PM

Apparently, I agree most with Yang, and Bloomberg second.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:53 PM

Many of the questions ask whether the U.S. government should consider some proposal. Of course all of those should be given due consideration, and then decided on their merits.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:54 PM

My top scorers were
Steyer
Klobachar
Biden / Bloomberg (tie)
Buttigieg
Warren/Yang (tie)

But its not a totally accurate reflection of how I feel and I seriously doubt that I will vote for Tom Steyer in the primaries.

There are issues that were on the survey that I care deeply about and issues that I care little to nothing about. Some of my answers were pretty much toss-ups. Some of the issues I had not even considered until the moment I took the survey. Even on the issues that are important to me, some of my opinions weren’t as binary as the survey options.

Still, it’s a nice little tool, assuming that it’s basically accurate.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 01-17-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Yang, Bloomberg and Biden were tied at the top with 11. I'm not sure how to vote.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:25 PM

Warren - 13
Yang - 12
Sanders - 10
Steyer - 10

Which isn't surprising, I waver between Warren and Sanders and like Yang's approach to automation.

I'm surprised Sanders is opposed to a carbon tax.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-17-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 PM

I found it hard to care much about the different approaches these candidates take to the problems. In many cases, there is more than one way to approach a problem. I got "Biden," which surprised me a bit, but I think I'm in a moderate mood these days. While big changes are are worth aiming for, all I really need in 2020 is a return to competence, decency, and dignity. Any of the Dems would be fine.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:59 PM

Warren: 14
Sanders: 11
Bloomberg: 9
Yang; Steyer: 8
Old 01-17-2020, 05:40 PM

I'm a swing voting RINO but will be voting in the Dem primary. I get Biden, Bloomberg, and Yang tied with 13 things they agree with me on. Warren and Sanders pull up the rear at 4 and 3 respectively.

Biden has three question marks so that is 13 out of 17. Yang and Bloomberg have provided clear answers to all questions so they are 13 out of 20. Advantage Biden for the poll.

I don't weight issues equally like their result does. They also give very little focus to the foreign policy questions I most care about when selecting a president. As a tool it at least summarizes lots of positions. If you go past the simple score it is a nice rollup.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Yang tied with Bloomberg.

At least they mentioned the deficit and the national debt.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 PM

Very interesting. Mine was a tie between Bloomberg and Yang* (Yang won a coin toss for this threadís poll, since multiple choices are not allowed), at 13 agreed policies each, with Biden close behind at 12.

I might have to give this Yang fellow a closer look! (For 2024 or 2028, I suppose).

*Regards to Shodan!

Last edited by JKellyMap; 01-17-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:14 AM

Yang 14
Bloomberg 12
Buttigieg 12
Biden 11
Klobuchar 11
Steyer 10
Warren 9
Gabbard 7
Sanders 3

I'm not sure WP did a good job of forcing each box into a 0/1. For example, Sanders scored low in part because I'm supposedly more progressive than him on some issues! He (according to WP) does not support carbon tax, and does not support UBI.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

Warren 14
Sanders 10
Yang 10
Steyer 10
Bloomberg 8
Buttigieg 6
Klobuchar 6
Gabbard 5
Biden 4
Old 01-18-2020, 01:35 AM

I'd go for Cthulhu but he's aced-out of the primaries. I blame the DNC.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:43 AM

A lot of false dichotomies in those questions. Release from prison does not mean your sentence is complete. Deportation question didn't have much nuance. Paid leave question is somewhat arbitrary.

Yang gang I guess, though I don't really support him he seems decent enough. I think I can rank candidates if I vote in the primary so I might throw him in as a dark horse if that's possible.

They seem to think I'd like Bloomy and I'd rather eat my shoe.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Biden 16
Bloomberg 16
Klobuchar 13
Steyer 12
Buttigieg 10
Yang 10
Gabbard 7
Sanders 5
Warren 5

I guess I'm more moderate than I thought.

I'm actually a RINO who hasn't voted for a Republican for President in two decades, and hasn't voted for a Republican for any office for nearly as long. The main reasons I haven't switched parties is a combination of a vain hope that the Republican party will pull back from its extreme rightward lurch of recent years, and a fear that the Trump administration will retaliate against federal employees who are Democrats. (I'm not a federal employee, but my wife is.)
Old 01-18-2020, 02:30 AM

I have to admit I haven't drilled down into the policy positions on many of the candidates yet. I was surprised that I matched 14 with Steyer, who I know nothing about. I'll have to read up on him. My second highest was Warren at 13, which didn't surprise me, but Sanders bringing up the rear at 8 was a bit unexpected. I was thinking that I was wavering between Sanders and Warren (leaning Warren), but I'll have to do some more homework.

Oh, and I agree that the "should/shouldn't consider" questions were not very good. Yeah, we should consider lots of things. I'd hate if we went around making decisions without data.

In any case, I'm almost certainly going to vote for the eventual Democratic nominee in the general (along with every other Dem down the ballot). I suppose if, the day before the election, the Democrat is caught on video pulling off her face mask to reveal a V style alien lizard, I'd vote third party. But otherwise, I'm voting D.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:56 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Not surprising that Warren and Bernie were at the bottom of my list. Iím surprised that Yang was so high up.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:22 AM

Warren/Yang tied at the top, Gabbard/Biden/Bloomberg at the bottom. As it happens, I do like Elizabeth Warren and am not a huge fan of any of those bottom three, but the quiz was next to useless in assessing why, because (like all of these quizzes) it gets way too into picayune "policy" details. Like, if they asked my opinion on rich people who run quixotic vanity campaigns as a personal hobby, I'm guessing Yang would not have been so high, and that's a bigger issue for me than a lot of the nitpicky crap they tried to pin me down on.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 01-18-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:56 AM

Warren, who is my preferred candidate.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:13 AM

My high score (and the score shown for other Dopers) for Andrew Yang confirms my belief that he has, by-and-large, the best policy positions. And is wrongfully denigrated as foolish by the media (and some Dopers).

But I wouldn't trust the numbers too much. Sanders scores lowest by far with me ó I admire him but find some of his leftism too bold. Yet when I see which questions gave Sanders a low score with me, two show up (carbon tax and UBI) where Sanders is ostensibly to my right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by (See Note)
I have to admit I haven't drilled down into the policy positions on many of the candidates yet. I was surprised that I matched 14 with Steyer, who I know nothing about. I'll have to read up on him.... I was thinking that I was wavering between Sanders and Warren (leaning Warren), but I'll have to do some more homework.
Why the surprise that you matched with someone you "know nothing about"?

Anyway, stance on issues is almost completely irrelevant for candidate selection, especially since the GOP Senate and GOP Scotus will prevent all but the most moderate of agenda. Instead candidate selection should focus on electability, intelligence, character, electability, personality, wisdom, electability, experience, charisma, and electability.

Note: Is it against the rules to remove attribution from a quote? I took one of several similar comments and used it strictly as a pivot for a comment; I had no desire to focus on a specific.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:38 AM

Tied, Warren and Bloomberg. I find that disturbing.

There's no way I could vote for Bloomberg. One New York Billionaire is enough for this lifetime.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 AM

Yang with 12. Bloomberg and Biden are close behind. Warren and Sanders are, not surprisingly, last.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 AM

I had 2 candidates tie for first, and your poll allows only one vote, so I did not vote.
The results, which surprised me are:
Buttigieg 14
Yang 14
Klobuchar 13
Steyer 13
Bloomberg 12
Warren 12
Biden 11
Gabbard 8
Sanders 6

Gabbard, who I'm pretty sure is a Republican, beat Sanders in my head.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:54 AM

Apparently, I'm part of the Yang Gang now.

Yang and I agreed on 15 questions. I agreed with Klobuchar and Buttigieg on of the items, and I agreed with Biden, Bloomberg, and Steyer on 13 of the items.

I've felt all along that I'm leaning toward Biden or Klobuchar. By the time the primaries roll around, I'm guessing Klobuchar won't be on the ballot, but I could be wrong I guess.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Kamala Harris, but she’s not on the poll. Based on the poll it’s Bloomberg, which calls the validity of the poll into question...

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 01-18-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
My high score (and the score shown for other Dopers) for Andrew Yang confirms my belief that he has, by-and-large, the best policy positions. And is wrongfully denigrated as foolish by the media (and some Dopers).
Having good policy position doesn't mean you shouldn't be denegrated as foolish. You can hold great policy positions and still be a joke of a candidate that doesn't have a prayer of coming anywhere near the presidency.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:52 AM

"Policy positions", especially when they deal with legislation rather than executive powers, don't really matter a huge amount in a presidential primary unless the candidates are talking about going in different directions entirely. Like, all of the candidates want a lot more paid parental leave than we currently have, and they'd all sign whatever amount of it that got passed by Congress, so what's the point in turning twelve weeks or more-than-twelve weeks into an essential question?

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 01-18-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I don't weight issues equally like their result does. They also give very little focus to the foreign policy questions I most care about when selecting a president. As a tool it at least summarizes lots of positions. If you go past the simple score it is a nice rollup.
Yeah, these need to have a weight. I think www.isidewith.com has a better system (where you rank how important each question is on a scale of 1-5), although they really need to update their questions for a lot of the issues that have been brought in to the forefront politics in the last 10 years.

Last edited by str8cashhomie; 01-18-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Tied, Warren and Bloomberg. I find that disturbing.

There's no way I could vote for Bloomberg. One New York Billionaire is enough for this lifetime.
Trump has many faults. Oh so many. The fact that he's from New York and may be a billionaire are very far down the list.

Bloomberg's fine. Warren's fine. They're all fine. There isn't enough policy differences to move the needle for me to one or another. I'm all about electability and character.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Warren, who is my preferred candidate.
Ditto
Old 01-18-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Trump has many faults. Oh so many. The fact that he's from New York and may be a billionaire are very far down the list.

Bloomberg's fine. Warren's fine. They're all fine. There isn't enough policy differences to move the needle for me to one or another. I'm all about electability and character.
This 100%. Bloomberg came in dead last on the results of my WaPo quiz. And Biden came in on the low end as well. Yet those two are among the three candidates that may have my vote on March 10 (Warren, the top candidate from the WaPo quiz, is the third).

I fully understand the things that I believe in and value aren't the same things many of the blue collar and suburban voters in the Industrial Midwest value. And I'm basing my vote on them. If I think Warren is best positioned to capture their vote, then I'll vote for her. If it's Biden, then I vote for him. If it's Bloomberg, and he seems to be doing oddly well in Michigan right now, so if that continues, then I'll vote for him.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Before I take the quiz or have even looked at the responses in this thread, I'll put down this marker: most of these quizzes have blind spots a mile wide. Whatever the results of the quiz are for you apply only to the issues the quiz covers, and to the extent that they badly represent the universe of issues of concern to you, it won't tell you much.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Yeppers. Voting rights and democracy restoration? Nothing. Global warming? One question out of 20, and it wasn't representative of where the debate is now. (Though the fracking and nuclear power questions bear on global warming, they were asked in a way that made no reference to climate change.) Labor rights? The minimum wage? Nothing. And the filibuster? Nothing.

OTOH, there were a large number of questions where I either have little opinion on which answer was best, or hadn't considered the question much at all.

I still agreed with Warren more than anyone else, but it's a crappy survey IMHO, and at the very least, a respondent should be able to weight the questions in terms of importance to them to get a better read on how much even the answers to those questions tell them who they really agree with.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:46 PM

I'm a Green, not a Dem, but I tried it anyway.

13 Steyer
12 Buttigieg
11 Bloomberg, Yang
10 Klobuchar, Warren
09 Biden
08 Sanders
07 Gabbard

And I've never even heard most of them. Go figure.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:43 AM

Biden and Yang tied at 13 for me (Biden won the coin toss for the poll). Then came Bloomberg 12, Buttigieg 11, and Klobuchar 10. Warren and Sanders were at the bottom with 4 and 3.

Yang has some great ideas and he realizes some of the major problems that technology and innovation is creating, and I have been a fan of UBI for a long time. But I just don't think his plan makes any sense.

Buttigieg is my guy right now, especially after the last debate. But my vote on Super Tuesday will depend on the how the first four states go. If Warren or Bernie have a chance at the nomination, I'll vote for whatever moderate is positioned to beat them (probably Biden). If Biden is already running away with the nom, I'll pick either Butti or Yang.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:53 AM

you (out of 20)

Klobuchar 14
Yang 13
Steyer 13
Buttigieg 12
Warren 12
Biden 11
Bloomberg 11
Sanders 8
Gabbard 8
Old 01-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Warren first, then Sanders. No surprise. My main difference was whether programs like free college should be means-tested. As I understand it, Sanders supports higher taxes on the wealthy than Warren and free college for all, while Warren supports slightly lower taxes on the wealthy and free college for some. It seems to me that it'd work out in the wash; the question is whether you means-test for college and for tax, or just for tax.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:27 PM

I agreed most with Bloomberg. Iím Canadian and wonít be voting. That probably wouldnít be my first selection.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:23 PM

I got Buttigieg, then Yang, then Sanders. The trouble with this quiz is all the questions are given equal weight. Yeah, I do agree with Yang on a lot of stuff, but one of the few things I disagree with him on is his signature issue, UBI. I think UBI is a fucking terrible idea, and I presume it’d be Yang’s top legislative priority if he were elected. So there’s no way in hell I ever would - or should - support him over Sanders.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Klobuchar/Yang - 15
Biden/Bloomberg/Buttigieg/Steyer - 13
Warren - 10
Gabbard - 9
Sanders - 4

Like kk_fusion noted almost immediately, so many of the questions asked whether we should consider some solution to a problem. I think we should consider *everything*, and try everything and keep the things that work and abandon the things that don't. Does that make me a squishy centrist technocrat? Maybe. Doesn't matter, though. I'll vote for whoever is not Trump.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:46 AM

I got both Warren and Yang at 12, but a lot of it was due to stuff like believing nothing should be off the table, and choosing the slightly better option above others which I also would approve of. (I even said we should consider adding someone to the Supreme Court, even though I think that's likely a horrible idea.)

There were very few positions given that I wouldn't be fine with supporting, so all I discovered is that it doesn't really matter to me who wins, based on policy. So I can just focus on other aspects.

Also, one position there was no difference. All people should have national health insurance and it being available to everyone are the same position, as long as one does not want to get rid of private health insurance altogether.

Last edited by BigT; 01-20-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 AM

Warren and Yang, tied at 13. I was surprised that Sanders was the second lowest on my scorecard at 8 (Gabbard brought up the rear at 6).

I have deliberately avoided all the debates, ads, and interviews on the Democratic side, because regardless of which candidate ends up heading the ticket, I'm voting for that candidate (yes, even if it ends up being Gabbard). Why? Because none of the candidates is out and out evil and I've resolved to vote against evil in all the elections I vote in.

The funny thing is that even though I've studiously avoided getting sucked into the campaign, I've always thought that the few times I've seen Warren, she impresses me as the kind of personality that will make a smart, thoughtful president.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:09 AM

I was surprised to see I agree most with Bloomberg and Klobuchar and least with Sanders. I knew I disagreed with Sanders on elimination of private health insurance, but some of the other issues surprised me a bit.

The poll is heavy on domestic issues and totally omits foreign relations.

I am circulating nominating petitions for Warren here in New York. I agree with her less than 5 others.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Yang first, which amuses me because I don’t support his signature issue (UBI). Sanders second. I guess that’s fine given the set of questions asked, though I feel a little too neoliberal in matters economic to support him.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:46 AM

Bloomberg, then Biden. If I had to pick, it would be Biden.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:39 PM

Klobuchar - 13
Biden-Bloomberg-Steyer-Buttigieg - 12
Yang -11
Warren -7
Sanders -5

Gabbard didn't even rank for me. I wouldn't have guessed Klobuchar for the top slot but the general tiers didn't surprise me.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:43 PM

Non citizen. Tie between Warren & Bernie at 13 ; Biden dead last at 6, which figures since he's a Republican.
I'd vote Bernie in a heartbeat.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Biden dead last at 6, which figures since he's a Republican.
Uh, have you seen any Republican in the US from the last 10 years? Biden's far from my favorite, but a modern-day Republican he ain't.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:36 PM

I got Warren 18, Sanders 15, nobody else more than 10. Somewhat surprised to see that Biden was dead last with 3.