Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
King of the Hill had a pretty great gag where Dale cheats at a fishing competition by having someone underwater place a large bass they had already purchased from a local fish market onto his hook and he reeled it in.

His only problem was that the fish was still frozen when the official weighed it.
That actually happened in tournaments, as well as anglers stashing precaught but live fish on the lake and taking them out of the underwater cages, pretending they'd caught them during the tourney.

I nominate Mornington Crescent. And Calvinball.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:54 AM
I was curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
That actually happened in tournaments, as well as anglers stashing precaught but live fish on the lake and taking them out of the underwater cages, pretending they'd caught them during the tourney.

I nominate Mornington Crescent. And Calvinball.
Um, it's the fourth Wednesday of the month - you can't mention Mornington Crescent in odd-numbered posts. Check your rulebook - I hope you're not still using the hopelessly outdated Cunningham edition? Some would say this was cheating...

ETA: I think I see where you erred - had you forgotten that GMT is (for obvious reasons) always used? So probably not cheating. But it could have been.

Last edited by Dead Cat; 01-22-2020 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Diplomacy maybe. The moves are adjudicated and executed by an independent party and lying to your allies and competitors is the officially approved route to success.
If you're playing on-line (so can't sneak pieces on the board, etc.) you could intercept your opponents' electronic communications to read their orders or communications to each other. That would be a significant advantage, I think.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Solitaire?
Old 01-22-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
If you're playing on-line (so can't sneak pieces on the board, etc.) you could intercept your opponents' electronic communications to read their orders or communications to each other. That would be a significant advantage, I think.
That sounds pretty hard to do.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 AM

Darts, and other non-contact target sports like bowls etc.

I found one incident of apparent cheating in darts, which involved a very close miss, the scorer misreading it and the player (who must have known the call was wrong when he stepped to board to retrieve the darts) keeping his mouth shut rather than correcting it. That was in 2013. It required a fairly unique set of circumstances and you certainly couldn't plan on doing it with any success.

Which isn't to say there isn't a certain amount of gamesmanship: playing slowly to put an opponent out of rhythm, "sledging" via quiet asides and even on one occasion deliberate obnoxious farting (!). But I think those come under "bad attitude" rather than out and out breaking the rules.

Other than that, I think it's quite hard to cheat. You could overstep the oche to be closer to the board, but if you're over enough to help you'll be spotted, and if you're not over enough to be spotted it won't help. There might be some sort of superior but banned type of dart* but failing that you're left with some sort of ludicrous cartoon-physics magnetised board and darts arrangement which would be both difficult to arrange and supremely unlikely to actually work.

*There's one word for that: magic darts
Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 AM

Are there ways to cheat in competitive eating (pies, hotdogs, etc)?
Old 01-22-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
There are probably other ways to cheat, if you put the effort in. It doesn't take much to throw off the line of a curling stone. You could drop things on the ice to try and disturb your opponent's shots, or alter your broom to make it more effective.
Curler here.

If you're playing competitively, using a curling broom with a head that can scratch or melt the ice in a way that changes the direction of a rock much more (Hardline IcePad, Goldline Norway Pad, old horsehair broom, etc) than using conventional head, isn't allowed. For club play, it's okay, but you might get a few dirty looks among hardcore curlers in Alberta or Duluth. You could probably modify a conventional broom head to hide some handwarmers for something similar.

There's also not calling burned rocks (when you touch a moving rock after release) or hogged rocks (delivering a rock, and holding on to it past the hog line). Mulligans aren't a thing in curling.

Otherwise, you don't cheat at curling. It's just not part of the game. The winners buy the losers drinks, so there's not much of an incentive to cheat in club play.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Are there ways to cheat in competitive eating (pies, hotdogs, etc)?
Have a labrador under the table.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Solitaire?
Its absurdly easy to cheat at solitaire. You can, for example, just search through the deck for every card you want and place them however you like. There are rules to it (or it wouldnt be a game) and theres nobody to call you on it when you break them. Sure, you get nothing out of cheating since there is no opponent to beat but cheating is cheating.

It reminds me of one of the saddest things Ive ever encountered in my life. Back in high school there was a kid who used to play Dungeons and Dragons in a solitaire fashion. He was his own Dungeon Master and would run his own PCs through scenarios he made up. That on its own is sad enough but the worst part is that hed brag to me and my friends (who played RPGs together on occasion) and regale us with his accomplishments. Hed talk about how strong his character was, how hed defeated all these various gods in single combat, and so on. He truly expected us to be impressed by the way hed sit alone in his room and just make up stories by himself.

I bet he grew up to be a serial killer or something.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:29 PM

Wow, that is super sad. I take it your group did not invite him to join you?

How about red rover, or tug-o-war.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschrodinger View Post
Wow, that is super sad. I take it your group did not invite him to join you?
No, not that we played that often anyway. The crazy thing was that he was arrogant, even needling people about how awesome he was. We had no reservations about telling him to his face how we felt about him. I flat-out told him that being your own Monty Hall GM was pathetic.

Its actually only in retrospect I realize how sad it was. At the time I was just annoyed by him. I was only 14-15 at the time and not terribly empathetic.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Have a labrador under the table.
My Aunt Amy, a very sweet and caring person, is a citizen of NunatuKavut. I do not have any idea how you know about her weight problem ( it is genetic, I'm told), but that was a very cruel remark.