Old 01-27-2020, 03:02 PM

Tom Cruise Movies, with a Tom Cruise Quote from It

1. A Few Good Men: “I want the truth!”
2. Jerry Maguire: "Show me the money!"
3. Rain Man: " I'm gonna go take a celebration piss."
4. The Outsiders: "Hate to tell you this, buddy, but you have to wear clothes to work. There's a law or something."
5. Mission Impossible: "Kittridge, you've never seen me very upset."
6. Top Gun: “I feel the need, the need for speed.”
7. Edge of Tomorrow: "What I am about to tell you sounds crazy, but you have to listen to me. Your very lives depend on it. You see, this isn't the first time."
8. Risky Business, “ Sometimes you've just gotta say, ‘What the fuck?’”
9. Austin Powers in Goldmember, "Well, Miss Normous... shall we shag now, or shag later?"
10. The Mummy -"Jenny, respectfully, I'm not interested in archeological jargon right now."
11. Collateral: " Don't you talk to me about murder. All it ever took was a downpayment on a Lincoln Town Car. That girl... you can't even call that girl. What the fuck are you still doing driving a cab?"
12. Interview with the Vampire: "Evildoers are easier, and they taste better."
13. Tropical Thunder: "A nutless monkey could do your job."

Favorite pieces of clothing you own.

1. A T-shirt with a well-designed cartoon of me created by my daughter on it. I'm surrounded by books, including "Dull Vol. 1", "Dull Vol. 2" and "Dull Vol. 3".
Old 01-27-2020, 03:17 PM

1. A T-shirt with a well-designed cartoon of me created by my daughter on it. I'm surrounded by books, including "Dull Vol. 1", "Dull Vol. 2" and "Dull Vol. 3".
2. A "SILENCE=DEATH" ACT-UP t-shirt. I was a charter member. Unfortunately the shirt no longer fits.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:25 PM
SDSAB

2. A "SILENCE=DEATH" ACT-UP t-shirt. I was a charter member. Unfortunately the shirt no longer fits.
3. A red wool jacket with camp patches from my Scouting days
Old 01-27-2020, 03:36 PM

4. An inexpensive jacket I bought at Target ~20 years ago. It's held up over the years, though I wear it often and run it through the laundry occasionally. It's lightweight, but insulates really well and is great for the relatively mild Texas winters.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:45 PM

4. An inexpensive jacket I bought at Target ~20 years ago. It's held up over the years, though I wear it often and run it through the laundry occasionally. It's lightweight, but insulates really well and is great for the relatively mild Texas winters.
5. Stetson cowboy hat. Bought in Texas.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 PM

6. A black hoodie that I got from my sister-in-law. It's a heavy and great for colder weather.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

6. A black hoodie that I got from my sister-in-law. It's a heavy and great for colder weather.
7. My Brooks "Essential Run" windbreaker, a perfect lightweight shell. Unfortunately no longer available in my size.

Last edited by blondebear; 01-27-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:22 PM

7. My Brooks "Essential Run" windbreaker, a perfect lightweight shell. Unfortunately no longer available in my size.
8. A black T-shirt with the Triforce of Courage highlighted on it in green, with the words "COURAGE - The Ability to Persevere and Overcome Situations That Scare Me".
Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM

8. A black T-shirt with the Triforce of Courage highlighted on it in green, with the words "COURAGE - The Ability to Persevere and Overcome Situations That Scare Me".
9. My LLBean ski bibs, which I bought at a garage sale for $1, 20 years ago. They're warm and comfortable and still going strong!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:04 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

9. My LLBean ski bibs, which I bought at a garage sale for $1, 20 years ago. They're warm and comfortable and still going strong!
10. A pair of black T-shirts featuring the logo of a fictional pub and academic department from my novel series.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

10. A pair of black T-shirts featuring the logo of a fictional pub and academic department from my novel series.
11. A plaid flannel shirt I've owned for twenty-plus years. It's nice and warm.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:16 PM

11. A plaid flannel shirt I've owned for twenty-plus years. It's nice and warm.
12. My original-issue USMC jungle boots. Vietnam era boots. The most comfortable military boots I ever put on. (ETA: they're now close to 30 years old!)

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-27-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

11. A plaid flannel shirt I've owned for twenty-plus years. It's nice and warm. 61
12. My original-issue USMC jungle boots. Vietnam era boots. The most comfortable military boots I ever put on. (ETA: they're now close to 30 years old!) 62
13. A sweater with a giant pair of highly decorated eyeglasses on the front. The eyeglass image has now become my unofficial logo.

Last edited by SpoilerVirgin; 01-27-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:23 PM

Next up:

Favorite toys you had as a kid

1. Hot Wheels and Sizzlers cars

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-27-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

2. A Tonka truck
Old 01-27-2020, 07:53 PM

2. A Tonka truck
3. A Cox .049 engined PT-19 airplane.

I crashed and burned her on her first flight. But, very memorable!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:13 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

2. A Tonka truck
4. The Whoosh! "Jet Propelled" glider from the 1966 Sears Wishbook

Last edited by blondebear; 01-27-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

2. A Tonka truck
4. The Whoosh! "Jet Propelled" glider from the 1966 Sears Wishbook 67
5. Raggedy Ann
Old 01-27-2020, 08:58 PM

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
6. Super Elastic Bubble Plastic!
Old 01-27-2020, 10:56 PM

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
7. Knight Rider's KITT and Michael Knight
Old 01-28-2020, 12:14 AM

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
8. Nerf Football

A great way for a kid to learn how to throw a perfect spiral.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
8. Nerf Football
9. A table hockey game
Old 01-28-2020, 01:26 AM

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
8. Nerf Football
9. A table hockey game
10. Electric train
Old 01-28-2020, 06:17 AM

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
8. Nerf Football
9. A table hockey game
10. Electric train
11. Pogo stick
Old 01-28-2020, 07:11 AM

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
8. Nerf Football
9. A table hockey game
10. Electric train
11. Pogo stick
12. Unicycle
Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 AM

2. A Tonka truck
5. Raggedy Ann
8. Nerf Football
9. A table hockey game
10. Electric train
11. Pogo stick
12. Unicycle
13. Spirograph

Pass
Old 01-28-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Basketball superstars known by a nickname

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:48 AM

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
2. Magic (Earvin Johnson)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
3. Air Jordan (Michael Jordan)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
4. Wilt the Stilt (Wilt Chamberlain)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:12 AM

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
5. Dr. J (Julius Erving)

Last edited by Cardigan; 01-28-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:36 AM

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
5. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
6. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:37 AM

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
5. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
6. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
7. The Iceman (George Gervin)

Last edited by Personal; 01-28-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 AM

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
5. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
6. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
7. The Iceman (George Gervin)
8. Chocolate Thunder (Darryl Dawkins)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post

1. The Bird (Larry Bird)
Sorry, Annie, but Larry Bird was never known as "The Bird".

See here: https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It's a fun category though!

Revised list:

1. Magic (Earvin Johnson)
2. Air Jordan (Michael Jordan)
3. Wilt the Stilt (Wilt Chamberlain)
4. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
5. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
6. The Iceman (George Gervin)
7. Chocolate Thunder (Darryl Dawkins)

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-28-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

4. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
5. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
8. The Hick from French Lick (Larry Bird)

I know I heard him called The Bird in his early career.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:15 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

4. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
5. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
9. Spud (Anthony Webb)

Last edited by Infovore; 01-28-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I know I heard him called The Bird in his early career.
I don't doubt it, but I've been a Celtics fan since the 1970s and grew up in the northeast, and New England. I never heard it, and I could not find it readily in a web search.

4. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
5. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
9. Spud (Anthony Webb)
10. The Black Mamba (Kobe Bryant)

We GOTTA have this one on the list.

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:28 AM
SDSAB

Yes, we do.

4. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
5. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
9. Spud (Anthony Webb)
11. King James (LeBron James)

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01-28-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:30 AM

4. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
5. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
9. Spud (Anthony Webb)
12. Clyde "The Glide" Drexler
Old 01-28-2020, 12:16 PM

4. Dr. J (Julius Erving)
5. Clyde (Walt Frazier)
9. Spud (Anthony Webb)
12. Clyde "The Glide" Drexler
13. "Pistol" Pete Maravich

Pass
Old 01-28-2020, 12:57 PM

Great moments from a World Series game (any year)

1. Game 7, 2019: Howie Kendrick's go-ahead home run, hitting the grating of the right-field foul pole to put the Nationals on top for good
Old 01-28-2020, 01:07 PM

Ohhhh, I'm gonna love this category!

1. Game 7, 2019: Howie Kendrick's go-ahead home run, hitting the grating of the right-field foul pole to put the Nationals on top for good
2. Game 5, 2010: on a 3-2 pitch, the SF Giants' Brian Wilson strikes out the Texas Rangers' Nelson Cruz for the final out. The Giants Win! Their first World Series Championship in San Francisco!
Old 01-28-2020, 01:25 PM

2. Game 5, 2010: on a 3-2 pitch, the SF Giants' Brian Wilson strikes out the Texas Rangers' Nelson Cruz for the final out. The Giants Win! Their first World Series Championship in San Francisco!
3. Game 7, 2016: The Cubs rally from behind and after a rain delay they win in the 10th inning; overcoming a 3-1 deficit and getting their first World Series win since 1908.

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 01-28-2020 at 01:27 PM. Reason: edited for clarification
Old 01-28-2020, 01:31 PM

3. Game 7, 2016: The Cubs rally from behind and after a rain delay they win in the 10th inning; overcoming a 3-1 deficit and getting their first World Series win since 1908.
4. Game 4, 2012: The SF Giants SWEEP the heavily favored Detroit Tigers.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:03 PM

5. Game 1, 2019: Juan Soto ties the game in the top of the 4th by hitting a home run that lands on the railroad tracks for the Nationals
Old 01-28-2020, 02:08 PM

5. Game 1, 2019: Juan Soto ties the game in the top of the 4th by hitting a home run that lands on the railroad tracks for the Nationals
6. Game 7, 2014: before the Giants won it over the Royals, we Giants fans called the rumbling bumbling stumbling Giants outfielders "The Keystone Cops Play". But, Pablo Sandoval caught the final out, and we won it!

ETA: after searching, I guess "The Keystone Cops Play" isn't a thing on the internet. But it sure is with me and my friends, when with two outs in the ninth, the Royals' Alex Gordon hit the ball to center field, on the ground. CF Gregor Blanco misplayed it and it rolled to the wall. Gordon lumbering around the bases, thank goodness he wasn't all that fast! Then LF Juan Pérez also bobbled the ball before it was thrown in to SS Brandon Crawford. Gordon, thankfully slow, only made it to third.

Sorry for rambling on!

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-28-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:07 PM

6. Game 7, 2014: before the Giants won it over the Royals, we Giants fans called the rumbling bumbling stumbling Giants outfielders "The Keystone Cops Play". But, Pablo Sandoval caught the final out, and we won it!
7. Game 6, 1986: Mets win in the 10th inning on Mookie Wilson's grounder that goes through Bill Buckner's legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyJjecJnuI

Last edited by gkster; 01-28-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:20 PM

7. Game 6, 1986: Mets win in the 10th inning on Mookie Wilson's grounder that goes through Bill Buckner's legs
8. Game 4, 2004: The Curse of the Bambino, from 1918, ends
Old 01-28-2020, 03:42 PM

8. Game 4, 2004: The Curse of the Bambino, from 1918, ends
9. Game 6, 1993: Joe Carter hits 2-2 pitch off Mitch Williams with the Blue Jays down 6-5 in the bottom of the 9th. 3-run home run to win the Series.