Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I voted for the pothead because I didnít want to vote for Trump and I was pissed off at the Democratic Party for annotating a candidate before the country could decide. Itís their own damn fault they have to deal with a non-democrat like Bernie. He wouldnít even be a blip on the radar now if last primary season there was a crowded field. We probably would be talking about if President Biden will get re-elected.

Of course I could afford to cast a protest vote. Iím in a firmly blue state. If I were in a swing state I would have had to re-evaluate.
I wrote in Evan McMullin in 2016. Had he not been in the running, I'd probably have opted for the pothead as well.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:36 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Third parties are despicable and a way for some voters to feel extremely pure. Iíd have more respect for you if you just would have just voted Trump.
Dale. Thatís enough.

Donít personalize your arguments like that. Stay focused on the thread topic. Donít drag your personal issues with other posters into it.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Loved her with Ike.
Wouldn't that be Mike?

To the OP, though, if he doesn't claim the nomination for POTUS, I think that Mayor Pete would be a good candidate for VP. And I'd be equally okay with Harris as VP, though I'd rather see her as Attorney General.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:58 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The Democratic Party doesnít anoint candidates. You surely know this. People like myself carried clipboards for her and one of my friends put 60-80 hours a week getting her nominated. I knew of Bernie Sanders when he announced: he was a useless windbag and a joke in Congress. He proved himself in the primaries to not only be a useless windbag and a joke but to also to be a vile bag of shit. He did succeed in creating a cult, making millions, and sitting back while his wife bankrupted a college.
There was no incumbent and yet there were no mainstream party candidates that stepped forward to join the primary. Her only real primary competition came from an independent who pretends to be a democrat when running for president. The party did everything in their power to have it be her and only her. It should have been a full slate of democrats but it wasnít. She was anointed as if she were the incumbent president. Just because Bernie didnít go with the program and she had to work for it doesnít make it less true.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:23 AM

I wonder if the democrats were still smarting from 2004 when they did have a crowded field of candidates including loud mouths like Al Sharpton and screaming Howard Dean?They ended up fighting each other so much the really good candidates like Richard Gephardt of Missouri fell aside and they decided to nominate John Kerry even though nobody really knew why.

So in 2016 they decide to just allow one and focus on her.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:04 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I wonder if the democrats were still smarting from 2004 when they did have a crowded field of candidates including loud mouths like Al Sharpton and screaming Howard Dean?They ended up fighting each other so much the really good candidates like Richard Gephardt of Missouri fell aside and they decided to nominate John Kerry even though nobody really knew why.

People are shortsighted to think thatís not normal in primary politics. And it certainly doesnít mean you lose. The Bush vs Reagan primary was brutal and Bush attacked everything Reagan ran on. ďVoodoo economics.Ē And yet they won 2 elections together.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post

Still, thereís no secret lair where the DNC meets and the chairperson strokes a white cat and decides on how many candidates to allow.

2016 was influenced by the Democratic shellacking in 2010, leaving them with a weaker bench. Also, even though 2012 wasnít bad, many of the Democrats elected were Blue Dogs and/or got lucky because the Republicans couldnít shut up about rape.

Taking a look at the 2020 field and letís see where they were 4 years ago:

Joe Biden: obviously he passed on a run and would have been a top contender. Regardless if it was the death of his son, not wanting to tangle with the Clintons, or just didnít want to spend months eating corn dogs in 95 degree weather in Iowa, he didnít run

Pete Buttigieg: not even eligible

Elizabeth Warren: been in the Senate since 2013, well known in 2016 but still decided to pass.

Amy Klobuchar: been in the Senate since 2007 but unknown nationally and probably wouldnít be running except for the Take Back the Midwest theme.

Kamala Harris: still AG of California

Kirsten Gillibrand: been in the Senate since 2009 and pretty unknown as well before knifing Al Franken in the back which was later.

Cory Booker: been in the Senate since 2013, unknown nationally then and still relatively unknown except for I am Spartacus.

Mike Bloomberg: has been a Trump that has always threatened to run and never did.

Tom Steyer: never even considered and his ego got the best of him with the impeach Trump ads.

Andrew Yang: guess he could have run in 2016 and probably would have done better as he would have picked up some of the Anyone But Hillary vote and likely would have had crossover appeal from some of the less ideological Bernie supporters.

So, just not a ton of options for 2016 especially with a very strong candidate in Hillary with support from a huge amount of Congress and governors, a lengthy resume and basically tied in 2008. And, Hillary managed to keep most of the sour grapes out of the media and served as an excellent Secretary of State. She was known as a hard working Senator who worked like her name was Hillary Rodham and not just coasting on being the wife of a president.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
People are shortsighted to think thatís not normal in primary politics. And it certainly doesnít mean you lose. The Bush vs Reagan primary was brutal and Bush attacked everything Reagan ran on. ďVoodoo economics.Ē And yet they won 2 elections together.
Yeah, Dean had already started to fizzle even before Iowa and the scream. Deanís initial appeal was that he was the first person to start speaking against Bush and Iraq. Ever since Ď9/11 changed everythingí the Democrats had spent the past 3 years bowing down to Bush with that 2002 midterm being once of the worst efforts ever.

The other 2004 candidates? Yes, there was Sharpton and Kucinich, both running on ego and perhaps to sell some books and increase their value on the speaking circuit.

Dick Gephardt was more proof that you canít go from the House to the White House. And thatís fine, Gephardt was fine in Congress but never made it click in 88 or 04. Plus the weird shit between his campaign and Deanís certainly didnít help.

John Edwards. Did anyone think he was running for anything but VP? Yeah, he benefited from the Dean/Gephardt nonsense and having SC early on the primary schedule.

Joe Lieberman: we didnít like you in 2000 and we sure didnít like you in 2004. How much you love Israel doesnít give you Joementum in IA (where he didnít even compete) and NH

Wesley Clark: he wasnít Ike. Lots of people thought that had Gore been President, Clark would have run as a Republican.

Bob Graham didnít jump in. I assume thereís something he doesnít want out there as there was also a reason he wasnít Goreís running mate in 2000.