Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2020, 02:21 PM
MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,872

Is the campaign trail getting to Biden?


I'm a Bernie guy, but I want to at least LIKE Joe Biden seeing that he can become the presidential nomine. I really don't know how he'll handle himself under pressure especially in a debate against Trump.

There was just a video of him getting flustered and on edge with a Tom Steyer supporter the other day. He touched his jacket with both hands and got defensive.

He tells one man talking about immigration under Obama to, "Vote for Trump".

He called a man fat.

He called a guy a liar and challenge him to an arm wrestling match, (I believe).

He got frustrated with Ed O'Keefe when he was pressed on Social Security. He turned around and said; "Why, why, why, why!" And then he realized he was being too hyper, but told O'Keefe to calm down.

This guy has a short temper and gets agitated and flustered very easily. I think he feels entitled to his position. I'd still vote for the guy, but I wonder how we'll do against Trump in debates, and if he does win, I wonder how good a president he'll be.
  #2  
Old 01-29-2020, 02:28 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,334
I have serious reservations about Biden as a competent candidate for the nomination. I have some reservations about Biden as the Democratic nominee against Trump. I have very few reservations about Biden as POTUS.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01-29-2020 at 02:28 PM.
  #3  
Old 01-29-2020, 02:31 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,879
Biden would be an acceptable president, but he has a history of his presidential campaigns imploding, and I'm really worried that he'll be able to hold it together just long enough to get the nom, and then blow the whole thing in the general.
  #4  
Old 01-29-2020, 02:53 PM
MyFootsZZZ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I have serious reservations about Biden as a competent candidate for the nomination. I have some reservations about Biden as the Democratic nominee against Trump. I have very few reservations about Biden as POTUS.
I don't know if I feel the same way as you if he were to win the presidency. I think his temper and inability to be appropriate or 'intelligent' on-the-fly is a totally relevant thing to consider when considering him as a president.
  #5  
Old 01-29-2020, 02:55 PM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,433
No, I think Biden is getting to Biden.
  #6  
Old 01-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Boycott is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 451
He's not the only politician who gets flustered when people stick a camera in his face. There was a video of a dude arguing with Warren about her student debt plan (my children paid off their loans so will we get reimbursed was his point). Why do these people have to record the interaction?

A day or two ago an organisation ambushed the Biden field office in Iowa. Biden was not present but they were causing trouble. Why?

Heck there was an organisation that staged a sit-in inside Pelosi's office in the capitol over climate change. And recorded it. Why? She agrees with them. She has been fighting the issue of climate change when it was a fringe opinion before these young guys were born. Go protest at Mitch McConnell's office or the Republicans offices who are in the way if progress.
  #7  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:06 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
He's not the only politician who gets flustered when people stick a camera in his face. There was a video of a dude arguing with Warren about her student debt plan (my children paid off their loans so will we get reimbursed was his point). Why do these people have to record the interaction?
A person who gets flustered when being recorded is not going to be very effective as President. And how a person reacts when events go off-script is also valuable information about their viability as President.

It's my perception that Biden has always been like this - it's not the stresses of the campaign. "Stand up and let them see you" to the paraplegic, "We choose truth over facts", being handsy, push up contests - now it's "vote for someone else" when challenged.

I doubt it will stop him from getting the nomination, but the general election is another matter. If he doesn't win, maybe Hunter can help him find a job for a change.

Regards,
Shodan
  #8  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Boycott is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
A person who gets flustered when being recorded is not going to be very effective as President. And how a person reacts when events go off-script is also valuable information about their viability as President.

It's my perception that Biden has always been like this - it's not the stresses of the campaign. "Stand up and let them see you" to the paraplegic, "We choose truth over facts", being handsy, push up contests - now it's "vote for someone else" when challenged.

I doubt it will stop him from getting the nomination, but the general election is another matter. If he doesn't win, maybe Hunter can help him find a job for a change.

Regards,
Shodan
In this democratic field then the only one who has shown he can handle attacks with composure then is Buttigieg. Biden gets cranky, so does Sanders (at least in 2016 he did), Warren is weak on defense, Klobuchar has bad stories as a demanding boss.

Buttigieg had a protest group interrupt him at his event by faking a medical emergency, calling an ambulance to arrive only to have to turn back when it turned out to be a ruse. That's quite a litmus test for temperament.
  #9  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:36 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,965
It's not like the guy on the other side of the race handles any attacks with composure though. You wish the worst Trump would do is challenge a guy to a push up contest.

So in contrast to QuickSilver, I have few reservations about Biden as the Democratic nominee against Trump, but I have some more about him being POTUS (mind you it'd be a massive step up from Trump)
  #10  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:47 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's not like the guy on the other side of the race handles any attacks with composure though. You wish the worst Trump would do is challenge a guy to a push up contest.

So in contrast to QuickSilver, I have few reservations about Biden as the Democratic nominee against Trump, but I have some more about him being POTUS (mind you it'd be a massive step up from Trump)
Much as I would LOVE to see Biden haul off and punch Trump in the mouth during a debate, the truth is that an actual debate is unlikely to happen because Trump is a fucking coward. But I worry that Joe will be rattled by Trump and his minions relentless attacks on his son. He's traditionally not managed that very well and continues to be in-artful in his responses to questions and accusations.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #11  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I have serious reservations about Biden as a competent candidate for the nomination. I have some reservations about Biden as the Democratic nominee against Trump. I have very few reservations about Biden as POTUS.
I have serious reservations about any octogenarian as president or nominee. I was really hoping it would go younger this time. Four years ago should have been Bidenís shot. Time is a motherfucker and gets everyone in the end. And when you get to be that age it can go downhill very quick. Iím dealing with that right now.
  #12  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:57 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Much as I would LOVE to see Biden haul off and punch Trump in the mouth during a debate, the truth is that an actual debate is unlikely to happen because Trump is a fucking coward. But I worry that Joe will be rattled by Trump and his minions relentless attacks on his son. He's traditionally not managed that very well and continues to be in-artful in his responses to questions and accusations.
Well if he wants to be president he needs to be ready to throw his son under the bus. Heís done a lot that is indefensible and his ties to the Ukrainian company look really bad regardless of what bad stuff Trump did.
  #13  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:58 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I have serious reservations about any octogenarian as president or nominee. I was really hoping it would go younger this time. Four years ago should have been Bidenís shot. Time is a motherfucker and gets everyone in the end. And when you get to be that age it can go downhill very quick. Iím dealing with that right now.
Frankly, Buttigieg is my top pick. I'm a Sanders/Warren liberal at heart, but a realist at mind. Forget right wingers, most of moderate America is not ready for the kinds of progressive policies that are being proposed by S & W. I'll be thrilled to be proven wrong about that.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #14  
Old 01-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Boycott is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Well if he wants to be president he needs to be ready to throw his son under the bus. Heís done a lot that is indefensible and his ties to the Ukrainian company look really bad regardless of what bad stuff Trump did.
He's had to bury two of his kids.

He's not going to throw a living one under the bus.
  #15  
Old 01-29-2020, 05:11 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,709
He’s always been awful on the campaign trail and the Dukakis people back in 1988 were watching him for a flub. The plagiarism issue came about because although Biden often attributed the Kinnock quote, he did forget a couple of times. The Dukakis team was brutal and made sure that made the news.

I’m a bit less worried about debates. Biden did kick butt and take names in the 2008 and 2012 VP debates. He was a bit hands off with the overwhelmed Palin but was full attack dog against Ryan when he needed to be. Still, that was 8 years ago.

Biden is a gaffe machine but both Bushs were as well. He’s not the candidate I want, but I’ll campaign for him like hell should he get the nomination.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His

Last edited by dalej42; 01-29-2020 at 05:13 PM.
  #16  
Old 01-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
He's had to bury two of his kids.

He's not going to throw a living one under the bus.
Then maybe President isnít the right job for him. Yes that is harsh. I was in Iraq when Beau was deployed there. By all accounts he was a great guy and itís a damn shame what happened to him. Hunter is a fuck up who was placed on the board of a foreign energy company while his father was Vice President despite being kicked out of the Navy for being a crackhead. And thatís after he got a direct commission to the Navy because of daddy. If Joe wants to be president he canít defend the indefensible. He doesnít have to throw stones but he canít defend him. And he certainly canít lose his cool when itís brought up.
  #17  
Old 01-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
A person who gets flustered when being recorded is not going to be very effective as President. And how a person reacts when events go off-script is also valuable information about their viability as President.

It's my perception that Biden has always been like this - it's not the stresses of the campaign. "Stand up and let them see you" to the paraplegic, "We choose truth over facts", being handsy, push up contests - now it's "vote for someone else" when challenged.

I doubt it will stop him from getting the nomination, but the general election is another matter. If he doesn't win, maybe Hunter can help him find a job for a change.
I disagree. I think this issue, which is real, is a bigger problem for Biden in the nomination race than it would be in the general election race.

In the general election race, he'll have an advantage; he'll be running against Donald Trump. Trump says more dumb things in a day than Biden says in a month, so if it gets down to a contest on that issue Biden wins.
  #18  
Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 5,661
Biden has had a couple aneurysms and had that whole "eye filling up with blood" thing during one of the debates and his short temper, combativeness and increasingly disjointed speech along with increasingly inappropriate behaviors (like finger biting and grabbing women's hands and refusing to let go, finger poking into people's chests, etc.) are all just screaming "dementia" to me. Also, find footage of him walking lately, he wanders around and his legs are moving from the knee rather than from the hip like a normal adult walks. He seriously is moving like a toddler. His family should be ashamed they're not protecting him better than this.
  #19  
Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,540
Biden's been avoiding taking questions for quite a while, from what I understand. Which isn't exactly good prep for winning in the fall.

And looks like we're getting a taste of why.
  #20  
Old 01-30-2020, 07:41 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
Trump would much prefer to run against Sanders and he may get his wish. they will probably tweet Sanders wearing a hammer and sickle shirt flying a flag with Marx on it.
  #21  
Old 01-30-2020, 08:25 AM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 16,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
There was a video of a dude arguing with Warren about her student debt plan (my children paid off their loans so will we get reimbursed was his point). Why do these people have to record the interaction?

A day or two ago an organisation ambushed the Biden field office in Iowa. Biden was not present but they were causing trouble. Why?

Heck there was an organisation that staged a sit-in inside Pelosi's office in the capitol over climate change. And recorded it. Why?
Where have you been? That's The Thing People Do these days. They post pictures of their lunch plate to Instagram for Og's sake, a political encounter of course they will record and post.

Then they can go on their favorite platform and post it with the headline "(individual or group) CAPITALIZED VERBS (political figure) about (issue)", with the capitalized verb being along the lines of "schools", "demolishes", "shuts up", "busts" etc.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 01-30-2020 at 08:25 AM.
  #22  
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I disagree. I think this issue, which is real, is a bigger problem for Biden in the nomination race than it would be in the general election race.

In the general election race, he'll have an advantage; he'll be running against Donald Trump. Trump says more dumb things in a day than Biden says in a month, so if it gets down to a contest on that issue Biden wins.
You;re quite possibly right. But possibly -
  1. People are used to Trump saying stupid things, and not as used to Biden saying stupid things. Trump has said and tweeted so many stupid things that the fatigue factor of outrage overload has kicked in. A Biden gaffe is fresh news.

    If Biden is trying to look above the fray and Presidential, it isn't going to work if he keeps looking stupid when in the fray.
  2. To the extent that it becomes part of negative campaigning, it may backfire on the Biden campaign as it did, more or less, against the Hillary campaign. Ordinary weapons don't work against Trump - nobody negative campaigns like he does.
  3. Trump seems to say stupid things on purpose. Biden seems to say stupid things without knowing it. Biden has an image to protect; Trump doesn't.
I don't think any of this is as significant as that the economy is doing well, and Trump is the incumbent.

ISTM that Biden , as a candidate, is sort of a cross between John Kerry and Hillary Clinton. Kerry was the last man standing after the Dem primaries, and Dems went along with him because he was not-Bush. Hillary - it was "her turn". (To be fair, I got the same vibe with Bob Dole).

We shall see. The front runner gets the flak, from the other side and from challengers on his/her own side. Trump has no challenger on his side, and the other side has already thrown all the flak available.

It is IMO probable that Biden will get the nom, and it is possible that he will be elected. But it won't be because he is a brilliant campaigner oozing charisma and vitality or an inspiring speaker.

Regards,
Shodan
  #23  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:17 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
Biden only beats Trump if Trump has a major problem like health issue. If Trump's health is really bad they will find someone else to run. Possibly Pence but could be someone like Rubio.
  #24  
Old 01-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
You;re quite possibly right. But possibly -
  1. People are used to Trump saying stupid things, and not as used to Biden saying stupid things. Trump has said and tweeted so many stupid things that the fatigue factor of outrage overload has kicked in. A Biden gaffe is fresh news.

    If Biden is trying to look above the fray and Presidential, it isn't going to work if he keeps looking stupid when in the fray.
  2. To the extent that it becomes part of negative campaigning, it may backfire on the Biden campaign as it did, more or less, against the Hillary campaign. Ordinary weapons don't work against Trump - nobody negative campaigns like he does.
  3. Trump seems to say stupid things on purpose. Biden seems to say stupid things without knowing it. Biden has an image to protect; Trump doesn't.
I don't think any of this is as significant as that the economy is doing well, and Trump is the incumbent.

ISTM that Biden , as a candidate, is sort of a cross between John Kerry and Hillary Clinton. Kerry was the last man standing after the Dem primaries, and Dems went along with him because he was not-Bush. Hillary - it was "her turn". (To be fair, I got the same vibe with Bob Dole).

We shall see. The front runner gets the flak, from the other side and from challengers on his/her own side. Trump has no challenger on his side, and the other side has already thrown all the flak available.

It is IMO probable that Biden will get the nom, and it is possible that he will be elected. But it won't be because he is a brilliant campaigner oozing charisma and vitality or an inspiring speaker.

Regards,
Shodan

Trump is gaffe proof. Despite being president his supporters (and others quite frankly) give him a pass because heís ďNot a politician.Ē
  #25  
Old 01-30-2020, 12:07 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,557
Which, rightly or wrongly, isn't a pass that Biden is going to get. Because he sure as hell is a politician. And politicians are supposed to better at campaigning than this.

Regards,
Shodan
  #26  
Old 01-30-2020, 12:45 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Trump would much prefer to run against Sanders and he may get his wish. they will probably tweet Sanders wearing a hammer and sickle shirt flying a flag with Marx on it.
I fully agree. The problem Trump would have with running against Biden is that he has all of the flaws he can reasonably accuse Biden of.

Trump's already tried to make a case for Biden being corrupt and practicing nepotism. We can see how well that's working for him.

If Trump says that Biden isn't fit to be President because has control issues and says dumb things, people are going to laugh.

Trump's 73. He can make a huge issue out of Biden's age without people asking about his own.
  #27  
Old 01-30-2020, 12:47 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Trump is gaffe proof. Despite being president his supporters (and others quite frankly) give him a pass because heís ďNot a politician.Ē
Sure, his supporters give him a pass. Trump himself famously said that his supporters would give him a pass if he committed murder.

But if he's going to win, he has to reach beyond his base of supporters. He has to convince people who don't automatically give him a pass.
  #28  
Old 01-30-2020, 01:01 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
You;re quite possibly right. But possibly -
  1. People are used to Trump saying stupid things, and not as used to Biden saying stupid things. Trump has said and tweeted so many stupid things that the fatigue factor of outrage overload has kicked in. A Biden gaffe is fresh news.

    If Biden is trying to look above the fray and Presidential, it isn't going to work if he keeps looking stupid when in the fray.
  2. To the extent that it becomes part of negative campaigning, it may backfire on the Biden campaign as it did, more or less, against the Hillary campaign. Ordinary weapons don't work against Trump - nobody negative campaigns like he does.
  3. Trump seems to say stupid things on purpose. Biden seems to say stupid things without knowing it. Biden has an image to protect; Trump doesn't.
I don't think any of this is as significant as that the economy is doing well, and Trump is the incumbent.

ISTM that Biden , as a candidate, is sort of a cross between John Kerry and Hillary Clinton. Kerry was the last man standing after the Dem primaries, and Dems went along with him because he was not-Bush. Hillary - it was "her turn". (To be fair, I got the same vibe with Bob Dole).

We shall see. The front runner gets the flak, from the other side and from challengers on his/her own side. Trump has no challenger on his side, and the other side has already thrown all the flak available.

It is IMO probable that Biden will get the nom, and it is possible that he will be elected. But it won't be because he is a brilliant campaigner oozing charisma and vitality or an inspiring speaker.

Regards,
Shodan
Obviously everyone knew that Hillary would be a force in 2016, but the Democratic bench was pretty weak in 2016 anyway. That 2010 shellacking really hurt as there wasnít a large pool of senators and governors ready yet. Plus, Biden opted out for 2016 as well.

Iíll admit, Iíve been surprised at Biden retaining so much support. I thought it would be a mile wide and an inch deep and it may very well be, but voting starts Monday and itíll be fast and furious for a month
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #29  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Sure, his supporters give him a pass. Trump himself famously said that his supporters would give him a pass if he committed murder.

But if he's going to win, he has to reach beyond his base of supporters. He has to convince people who don't automatically give him a pass.
And he has. Thatís why he is president.
  #30  
Old 01-30-2020, 04:28 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Obviously everyone knew that Hillary would be a force in 2016, but the Democratic bench was pretty weak in 2016 anyway. That 2010 shellacking really hurt as there wasnít a large pool of senators and governors ready yet. Plus, Biden opted out for 2016 as well.
I don't know how much the weakness of the Dem field was due to the perceived inevitability of Hillary. I believe Biden dropped out because his son died, but he may also have wanted to avoid a divisive primary season.

Sanders was Hillary's big rival in 2016, and he kind of came out of nowhere. I'm not much for the conspiracy theories of the Bernie Bros, and Hillary would have won (probably) even without the super delegates. But the establishment Democrats were definitely behind Hillary, because of the lock on fund-raising she and Bill had for the DNC.

I don't think Biden has nearly as much of a lock as Hillary did, but he is still the front-runner. My theory is that people support him mostly because he is the front runner, on momentum. Whether or not his gaffes will overcome the notion that he is the safe bet, I don't know but I don't think so. I can't believe anyone can think Sanders has a chance in the general, they tried a policy wonk woman with no charisma in 2016, and the rest - maybe they will try for another historical first with VP. Like with Gerry Ferraro.

Regards,
Shodan
  #31  
Old 01-30-2020, 05:00 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I don't know how much the weakness of the Dem field was due to the perceived inevitability of Hillary. I believe Biden dropped out because his son died, but he may also have wanted to avoid a divisive primary season.

Sanders was Hillary's big rival in 2016, and he kind of came out of nowhere. I'm not much for the conspiracy theories of the Bernie Bros, and Hillary would have won (probably) even without the super delegates. But the establishment Democrats were definitely behind Hillary, because of the lock on fund-raising she and Bill had for the DNC.

I don't think Biden has nearly as much of a lock as Hillary did, but he is still the front-runner. My theory is that people support him mostly because he is the front runner, on momentum. Whether or not his gaffes will overcome the notion that he is the safe bet, I don't know but I don't think so. I can't believe anyone can think Sanders has a chance in the general, they tried a policy wonk woman with no charisma in 2016, and the rest - maybe they will try for another historical first with VP. Like with Gerry Ferraro.

Regards,
Shodan
Biden did say that the death of his son was why he didnít run and that may very well be true. He also could have thought about spending weeks in Iowa in 95 degree weather eating corn dogs and decided heíd been in congress since 1972 and VP for 8 years and just didnít want to deal with it.

Sanders didnít quite come out of nowhere. He was fairly well known among the activist left. I used to listen to a lot of college radio and I thought it odd that a Congressman would be calling into a college radio show on a Sunday morning to talk politics with some lefty professor. Social media and YouTube helped spread his name as well with his rants on the Senate floor.

Sanders definitely didnít have much Superdelegate support, but he was hell bent on burning every bridge in Congress. Absolutely no compromises made him quite unpopular even with those who agreed with non politically. Thatís why itís remarkable he could spend so long in Congress and yet get almost no endorsements.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #32  
Old 01-30-2020, 05:02 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
I wonder if anyone below the age of 50 backs Biden. I think for the Iowa caucuses they should have exit polls that break down by age.
  #33  
Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I wonder if anyone below the age of 50 backs Biden. I think for the Iowa caucuses they should have exit polls that break down by age.
Latest Iowa Emerson Poll shows under 50 at 7% Biden, under 30 4%. Ouch.
  #34  
Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,527
I wasn't a Biden fan when he first ran 30 years ago, and I'm definitely not now. He needs to drop out for the same reason Bernie does - he's just plain old too old for the job (so is Bloomberg) and IMNSHO he's just not presidential material in the first place.
  #35  
Old 01-30-2020, 08:31 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
That's about what I expected As most people know people over 50 vote at a much higher rate than young people.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 01-30-2020 at 08:34 PM.
  #36  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:42 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,449
They should vote more, its natural selection by chronological Darwinism.
  #37  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:50 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,725
many 60 and older people are retired so they have plenty of time to vote. A friend went to see our local congressman do a town hall. I asked him how it was and he said it was overrun with retired people asking about social security.
  #38  
Old 01-31-2020, 10:05 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Sanders didnít quite come out of nowhere. He was fairly well known among the activist left. I used to listen to a lot of college radio and I thought it odd that a Congressman would be calling into a college radio show on a Sunday morning to talk politics with some lefty professor. Social media and YouTube helped spread his name as well with his rants on the Senate floor.

Sanders definitely didnít have much Superdelegate support, but he was hell bent on burning every bridge in Congress. Absolutely no compromises made him quite unpopular even with those who agreed with non politically. Thatís why itís remarkable he could spend so long in Congress and yet get almost no endorsements.
Maybe Sanders' status as an outsider was why he was willing to challenge the establishment Democrat in 2016. What did he care about the Democratic establishment - he wasn't a Democrat until he entered the race.

You can see "no compromise!" as standing on principle, certainly, but it doesn't bode well for getting your agenda enacted if you ever get elected. In 2016 or 2020.

If Sanders is elected, his only chance of any of his ideas into legislation is if Congress not only flips Democrat, both houses, but flips to democratic socialist. Chances are pretty slim that Democrats can get a majority in the Senate. Getting 51 AOC clones in there? Not gonna happen.

Regards,
Shodan
  #39  
Old 01-31-2020, 11:37 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,991
Congress obviously believes that he can ultimately persuade the middle 10-15% of the country to buy into his proposals, but that middle 10-15% percent is going to get cold feet once markets begin to fear his election - and they will.

I like Bernie, and I am grateful for him for reinvigorating the progressive cause. But that doesn't change the fact that markets are going to fear him, and I have a feeling that people will fear his impact on the economy.

Like many progressives, Bernie favors stability over slower growth - I do too (though I am probably more pro-growth than he is). However, Bernie's case is going to be a hard sell when the economy is, at least on the surface, performing as well as it has in over a quarter century (and longer ago by some metrics).
  #40  
Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Congress obviously believes that he can ultimately persuade the middle 10-15% of the country to buy into his proposals, but that middle 10-15% percent is going to get cold feet once markets begin to fear his election - and they will.
Congress thinks this? Bernie's been in Congress for decades, and has not shown any apparent ability to convince the middle 10-15% of anyone to buy into his proposals.
Quote:
Like many progressives, Bernie favors stability over slower growth - I do too (though I am probably more pro-growth than he is). However, Bernie's case is going to be a hard sell when the economy is, at least on the surface, performing as well as it has in over a quarter century (and longer ago by some metrics).
Given the scope and nature of his proposals, from M4A to higher taxes on capital gains to combating climate change to breaking up financial institutions if they are too big to taxpayer-funded college tuition - "stability" is the last word I would have chosen.

Regards,
Shodan
  #41  
Old 01-31-2020, 12:45 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Congress thinks this?
I have no idea why I wrote that - lol

Wow, I knew I was suffering from a cold but I didn't think it was that bad.
  #42  
Old 01-31-2020, 12:45 PM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 672
Joe Biden is losing it, doing very strange things, has a bad record, does a lot of mean shit to people, even those who are sincere, even those who support him.

And I haven't even got to all the touching and sniffing
  #43  
Old 01-31-2020, 01:33 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Maybe Sanders' status as an outsider was why he was willing to challenge the establishment Democrat in 2016. What did he care about the Democratic establishment - he wasn't a Democrat until he entered the race.

You can see "no compromise!" as standing on principle, certainly, but it doesn't bode well for getting your agenda enacted if you ever get elected. In 2016 or 2020.

If Sanders is elected, his only chance of any of his ideas into legislation is if Congress not only flips Democrat, both houses, but flips to democratic socialist. Chances are pretty slim that Democrats can get a majority in the Senate. Getting 51 AOC clones in there? Not gonna happen.

Regards,
Shodan
I can see some of Sandersí appeal in 2016, the bull in the china shop approach also worked for Trump. And, as much as I liked Hillary, thereís no doubt all her speeches and debates were done through a filter of a lifetime in the public eye.

And yes, rose Twitter doesnít have a response when I point out that a President Sanders, even with a Democratic senate majority will wake up to a Senate controlled by Schumer and Durbin who arenít exactly going to destroy the financial industry in New York and Chicago.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #45  
Old 01-31-2020, 02:30 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,540
The campaign trail would be getting to me, too, if I gave a speech in Iowa just four days before the caucuses, and only 50 people showed up.
  #46  
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I constantly remind myself to look at my bubble. Social media skews younger and more liberal. Most people donít live in a 85% LGBT very urban neighborhood. Almost everyone I know is college educated.

Iíve seen the polls with Biden staying consistent, but damn Iíve never met a Biden supporter. Didnít run across a single Biden petitioner while out getting signatures for Pete.

I donít think any campaign is putting resources into SC as itís too close to Super Tuesday so Biden should have that as at least one first four win. And, in the Super Tuesday states, Buttigieg and Warren are going to be selective while thereís certain states Bernie doesnít have a prayer in.

So the next month will definitely be a test to see if Bidenís support is a mile wide/inch deep and dries up quickly or if he really does have breadth of support out there among those who arenít on social media, donít post to message boards or blogs and donít watch cable news non stop.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #47  
Old 01-31-2020, 03:10 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Iíve seen the polls with Biden staying consistent, but damn Iíve never met a Biden supporter. Didnít run across a single Biden petitioner while out getting signatures for Pete.
^ This.

I honestly can't say I've seen much support for him either. I don't see a lot of energy behind his campaign, nor do I see any energy from the candidate himself.
  #48  
Old 01-31-2020, 03:53 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,965
I know of a number of people who have Biden as their 2nd choice. Also the vast majority of the African-Americans I follow on Twitter and Facebook are SUPER into Biden.
  #49  
Old 01-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Also the vast majority of the African-Americans I follow on Twitter and Facebook are SUPER into Biden.
I don't think that will help him in Iowa very much.

I don't know how much of it is people support him because he's the front-runner, and he's the front-runner because people support him.

The good news - Monday starts the campaign season for real. The bad news - it won't end until November.

Regards,
Shodan
  #50  
Old 01-31-2020, 04:41 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 27,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I constantly remind myself to look at my bubble. Social media skews younger and more liberal. Most people donít live in a 85% LGBT very urban neighborhood. Almost everyone I know is college educated.

Iíve seen the polls with Biden staying consistent, but damn Iíve never met a Biden supporter. Didnít run across a single Biden petitioner while out getting signatures for Pete.
My bubble skews older and more moderate, and Biden has far more support than Bernie. In my bubble, the more progressive lean toward Warren, the more mainline lean toward Biden.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017