Old 02-07-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
<snip>
6. And I drop-kicked a squirrel on accident Monday because it tried to hop in the car with me. I kicked out without thinking about it and it went flying and I couldn't stop laughing to whole damn way to work.

I hate everything. Except kicking that squirrel. That was amazing.
Here. It won't help with anything except probably your mood, and your drop-kicking the squirrel is what made me think of it.

Neighborhood Hazard (Or: Why the Cops Won't Patrol Brice Street)

Quote:
Picture a large man on a huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and leather gloves puttering maybe 25mph down a quiet residential street…and in the fight of his life with a squirrel. And losing.

Last edited by Morgyn; 02-07-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added a pull quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
6. And I drop-kicked a squirrel on accident Monday because it tried to hop in the car with me. I kicked out without thinking about it and it went flying and I couldn't stop laughing to whole damn way to work.

I hate everything. Except kicking that squirrel. That was amazing.
This made my day (or night).
Old 02-08-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Here. It won't help with anything except probably your mood, and your drop-kicking the squirrel is what made me think of it.

Neighborhood Hazard (Or: Why the Cops Won't Patrol Brice Street)
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard! I was crying!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:56 PM

I was shopping this afternoon. A “service” dog came in with 3 people and immediately took a dump on the floor. Even worse, none of the people had a poop bag or even a paper towel. Two employees has to clean it up. What kind of service dog craps inside, and what kind of asshole people don’t have poop bags?
Old 02-08-2020, 05:59 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

This kind.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:28 AM

*grump*
Just finished my US tax forms, ready to be mailed in. Six pages to tell them I didn't have any US income, didn't pay them anything, and don't owe anything. Simplified my ass. When I first moved to Australia, it was three - two pages for the 1040, one for the 2555-EZ. Now the 1040 is still two pages, I have to add a Schedule 1, and they don't use the 2555-EZ anymore, and so it's three pages for the 2555 (which used to be two pages).
I swear, being a dual citizen is usually handy, but at tax time it's a pain in the ass.

Last edited by galen ubal; 02-10-2020 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:57 PM

My husband's stepsister's husband just died of Stage 4 lung cancer on Saturday. They officially diagnosed him about 3 weeks ago. He went to hospice last Thursday. He was in his late 40s, and just an all-around good guy. They found it because he started having trouble breathing, and his chest was bruised. Turns out that the tumor had grown large enough (or was putting enough pressure on things, I'm not sure which exactly) that it broke a rib, which punctured one of his lungs. It had already metastasized, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a smoker. Fuck cancer!
Old 02-11-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyellen View Post
My husband's stepsister's husband just died of Stage 4 lung cancer on Saturday. They officially diagnosed him about 3 weeks ago. He went to hospice last Thursday. He was in his late 40s, and just an all-around good guy. They found it because he started having trouble breathing, and his chest was bruised. Turns out that the tumor had grown large enough (or was putting enough pressure on things, I'm not sure which exactly) that it broke a rib, which punctured one of his lungs. It had already metastasized, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a smoker. Fuck cancer!
A similar thing happened to a friend's mom. She was short of breath, oops its cancer and a couple weeks later, she was gone. Fuck cancer, indeed.

My mother is the glue that holds a lot of her side of the family together. So it really sucks that she's laid up right now. It's a bit of a long story but, basically, my grandparents were staying with my aunt. My grandmother is paralyzed from the waist down and my grandfather has a illeostomy and both need help to live. They finally made the decision to go to the nursing home but, before they could, my aunt's house was condemned. My grandmother was able to get emergency admitted to a nursing home but my grandfather is now officially homeless and has to stay that way for reasons I don't understand. So now the race is on to get them both permanently placed in a nursing home and my mother has been doing most of the work. Then, over the weekend, my mom fell and broke dominate handed wrist. And she needed surgery. She's doing ok now, but I fear nothing is going to happen if she isn't doing it. And, right now, she can't.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:54 AM

See, that's why I like the Straight Dope so much - only you guys would feed into my twisted sense of humor and include stories of attack squirrels.

To add to the story, when I got to work late (after drop-kicking the squirrel), my boss was unexpectedly in town to present to a bunch of high level executives in our company and she said that the squirrel story made her a lot calmer through the whole presentation. So...I guess squirrels do have a purpose?

Edited to add that I can't leave without ranting, so...

Today is elementary and high school summer school signup day. An email goes out at the time the registration links become available and then it's fucking hunger games until the class avaiability runs out. I hate this time of year because it's so intense getting a kid into a program that's reasonably priced and not deadly boring. But that's a pretty minor rant as rants go.

Last edited by overlyverbose; 02-11-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Had to pay son's girlfriend's electric bill last night because their power was shut off. They had the cash, and I'm sure I'll get paid back today, but they couldn't pay the company themselves because both of their bank accounts are overdrawn.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard! I was crying!
We gotta send that man a board invite or something. That is right up there with Evil Blimp, Insurance for the Cataclysmically Stupid or How to Dissuade JWs with a Katana.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:15 PM

This morning some idiot in a Volvo SUV decided s/he had to make a left turn from a side street to get in front of me even though there was not a car in sight behind me. He (or she) pulls in front of me and can't ramp up to the 30 mph limit on the street. I kept chugging away at 30 mph and eventually was on his/her tail. After a block of this asshole poking along, s/he finally pulled over and let me go by at the mind boggling speed on 30 mph, the limit.

I am never an asshole driver, but this really chapped my hide. Fine if you want to pull in front of me, but make sure you can go from 0 to the speed limit in a nanosecond.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:17 PM

No, I do not want to wait on the line after my customer support request is fulfilled (yeah, right) in order to complete a survey on how great or lousy you're doing.

No, I don't want to rate my "U-Haul experience" (the truck didn't break down and I didn't throw my back out loading and unloading, so there's that).*

No, I don't want to review my eBay purchase of Northern catalpa seeds. They look like seeds, fine, but I won't know if they sprout and turn into catalpa trees for at least a couple months.

And an old-fashioned, hearty "bite me" to all those faux consumer rating sites for every product and service imaginable, which exist to make money off ads for those products and services.

*kind of unfortunate that the huge graphic on the side of the truck was celebrating the wonder of bats, in the middle of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

A good friend and his family are waiting for what they expect to be tragic news. One of his sons had a fight with his wife several days ago, drove off, and never came home. The car was found the next day on a rural road, police searched the area on snowmobiles, then brought in tracker dogs. They found his coat on the bank of a stream, and now have divers checking the water and under the ice.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:24 PM

Squirrels are cute. That's plenty of purpose for them.

I so need to find another job. I am getting sick of getting yelled at about impossible metrics when I'm not getting the backup I need (today's biggest example: having ZERO available sups to help with a problematic account).
Old 02-12-2020, 12:14 AM

My mother has been hospitalized since Sunday. She was unresponsive today and the doctor asked me if she wanted extraordinary measures. She does not so we are meeting tomorrow about hospice care. This is not a surprise. She is 92 and has had serious problems this last year and she has been going rapidly downhill since the first of the year. I was in the process of looking for an assisted living place (she was living alone in her own home). It was becoming more than I could handle.

My rant such-as-it-is is that I'm now going to have to listen to the weeping and wailing of family members who haven't done their share of taking care of her the last several years. I'm the oldest and it all fell on me. My mother never expected things of my brother and he took advantage of that. She would never ask him to take off work to take her to the doctor or for tests because he was a man and he was busy. (She has absolute 1950s beliefs in male/female dynamics.) He never volunteered to help out though he would sometimes if I insisted. Usually, it was just easier to do it myself. And, yeah, that's partly on me.

Years ago my sister who lives across the country told me that there was nothing she could ever do to help because she didn't live here. She said she didn't need to talk to me about how mother was doing because she could just ask her, even though I told her that she wasn't always getting the whole story. Telling her that that I could use her emotional support was met with confusion. But boy is she a Facebook-carer. I hid her from my feed because I got so tired of reading about how her precious mother was so sick or in the hospital so all her friends could say how sorry they felt for her.

Anyway, she is flying in tomorrow. My brother has been with me at the hospital for most of this so I'll give him credit for that. I've been preparing for her death, I'm at peace with it and glad she is not in any pain. But I'm really dreading dealing with them through this. My brother started sobbing just talking to the nurse about the meeting tomorrow. My sister is sobbing on Facebook. I don't know if I can take it.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:45 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
A similar thing happened to a friend's mom. She was short of breath, oops its cancer and a couple weeks later, she was gone. Fuck cancer, indeed.

Happened with my Brother - we showed up to hang for a random weekend, he looked like hell so we did a fast round trip home to get me a couple weeks clothing and my medications figuring I could hang out and cook for him and get him to appointments, he had just had a biopsy to see which kind it was to determine treatment, 4 days later he wanted me to call an ambulance to get him to the Er because he couldn't breath, week later I was arranging his funeral.

And into the beginning of my 2nd year of the 5 year countdown, I agree, fuck cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Had to pay son's girlfriend's electric bill last night because their power was shut off. They had the cash, and I'm sure I'll get paid back today, but they couldn't pay the company themselves because both of their bank accounts are overdrawn.
I ran into issues back in 1986-87 with whichever electric company was in tidewater Virginia - I would mail the payment from my house in Norfolk to the office on the payment stub as visible through the envelope as Norfolk, and it would go from Norfolk mailroom to Richmond VA mailroom and then back to Norfolk, where it would get sorted and sent to the local bank [um, I think they used Sovran Bank?] so almost invariably it would register as a late payment even though it got dropped in the mail at least 2 weeks before the due date. It got to where i would just go to the damned office and pay in person every month. I really really like autopay! True, one really does have to make sure there is money every month, but it does save a lot of agony.

[We have one bank account, mrAru's military pension goes into it and that is where we have the autopay done. Luckily, his pension is about what we normally pay for the various utilities every month so that is pretty handy. Seems easiest to have the military pension going into our Navy Fed Credit Union account, he started it in boot camp =) It is , admittedly, the one bank account deposit that has never been screwed up though it got funky back in the 80s when they went from a physical paycheck to auto deposit, and did this funky shift from paying once a month to first and third, then simply every other week. I still sort of miss the days when they would have a bunch of Marines and a few bursar open a pay window in Dealy Center and have basically a few foot lockers of money to cash the paychecks for the guys. My dad was military when they would actually just hand out the money [I think I may still have military pay scrip from when he was in Germany in WW2. ]
Old 02-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
It got to where i would just go to the damned office and pay in person every month. I really really like autopay! True, one really does have to make sure there is money every month, but it does save a lot of agony.
Ooo, that sounds like adulting. My boy's not into it.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

There is a particular type of item I collect that is pretty darned rare--I'm sure the collector community is only in the dozens.

A couple of weeks ago I got up for work and noticed an email from eBay about one of my saved searches. I saw that someone was selling a lot of 28 of these for a Buy It Now price of a hundred bucks. He also had a different lot of 18 for a lower price.

I considered asking him the details and then realized that they were heavily underpriced (their going rate is about $10 eacy), so even if there were a few duplicates with my collection, I would be way ahead, and also time was of the essence.
I checked his feedback and clicked "buy" and waited.

And waited and waited.

On day 1 he thanked me and said he would pack it all off the next morning.
The days passed. No tracking number appeared. I asked about that and he said it was handled by eBay and there wasn't one.

Another week passes, he eventually sent a tracking number, which perpetually showed "label printed, not shipped"

Yesterday was the day when eBay was going to step in to resolve this. I sent one last note, lamenting the stalled tracking number. He said "I got a note from eBay that it was delivered yesterday."

I immediately sent him a screenshot of my "label printed" screen, to which he responded with a screenshot of his "package delivered" note.

??? I don't live in Kentucky, I live in New Jersey!

"Didn't you buy both lots?"

"No, I only bought the one with 28. I didn't need the Christmas ones."

So, yes, he accidentally shipped my stuff to the other guy in some faraway land (Kentucky was some kind of hub before the international hop). Some happy guy will open a box and find close to 50 of these items bought for a fraction of their true value. If he's a decent fellow he will realize he has something that doesn't belong to him and send it back to the seller, but it's a slim chance.

The seller apologized profusely and gave an immediate refund, and I don't hold this against him--it's something I could have easily done myself--but it still stinks.
These are rare and I won't find a set like that for that price again.

On a positive note, these items were not lost and didn't fall into some random stranger's hands--most people would just throw them out without knowing what they were and then they would be lost forever. Better they are in the hands of a collector.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Within six months my thyroid tests went wacky. Now I have to get an ultrasound. Both sister had theirs removed. Father died of thyroid cancer. Oh boy...
Old 02-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
My mother has been hospitalized since Sunday. She was unresponsive today and the doctor asked me if she wanted extraordinary measures. She does not so we are meeting tomorrow about hospice care. This is not a surprise. She is 92 and has had serious problems this last year and she has been going rapidly downhill since the first of the year. I was in the process of looking for an assisted living place (she was living alone in her own home). It was becoming more than I could handle.

My rant such-as-it-is is that I'm now going to have to listen to the weeping and wailing of family members who haven't done their share of taking care of her the last several years. I'm the oldest and it all fell on me. My mother never expected things of my brother and he took advantage of that. She would never ask him to take off work to take her to the doctor or for tests because he was a man and he was busy. (She has absolute 1950s beliefs in male/female dynamics.) He never volunteered to help out though he would sometimes if I insisted. Usually, it was just easier to do it myself. And, yeah, that's partly on me.

<snip>
I'm so sorry you're going through this. There's nothing worse than having to make everyone feel better when you're dealing with grief yourself; add to that all you've shouldered and you must be exhausted.

I hope everything goes well for you and is easier than you were expecting.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Ooo, that sounds like adulting. My boy's not into it.
Remember what I said about letting him fail?

This was an opportunity to let him fail.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I know, I know! Maybe next time.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:38 AM

Three people I know have had heart attacks this year. All of them are younger than me! Now with every twinge I feel I immediately think it's a heart attack.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:04 AM

TMI warning.

I caught Mr. brown's intestinal virus. He was sick for three days last weekend, and now it's my turn.

Last night I heaved up everything I've eaten for a week, together with everything I will eat for the next week. This was followed by major diarrhea.

I'm humiliated to say that I shat my sheets at 4 a.m. today. They're in the washing machine now. Haven't done that since I was two years old.

The diarrhea is the worst I've ever experienced. It's like I'm doing colonoscopy prep or something. Come to think of it, "diarrhea" isn't the right word for it. It's more like "peeing out of my butt" every ten minutes.

As soon as Mr. brown wakes up, I'm sending him out for Immodium and some sort of sports drink to replace all the minerals and salts I'm losing.

Last edited by teela brown; 02-16-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

We were watching the Dodge Brothers YouTube channel last night -- farmers in Iowa -- and he was giving pregnant heifers a vaccine to keep their in utero calves from getting scours after they were born. Then he explained, "For those of you who don't know what scours is, well, imagine the result if you managed to eat a half-gallon of ice cream, a quart of chocolate syrup, and two liters of soda -- that's scours.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post

The diarrhea is the worst I've ever experienced. It's like I'm doing colonoscopy prep or something. Come to think of it, "diarrhea" isn't the right word for it. It's more like "peeing out of my butt" every ten minutes.

As soon as Mr. brown wakes up, I'm sending him out for Immodium and some sort of sports drink to replace all the minerals and salts I'm losing.
Ugh, I did that during chemo [imagine your entire digestive tract being one long road rash, because it is inside it never clots off ... *sigh ]

I was told by my doc at the time to do as a single dose, 3x a day 4 immodium washed down with a dose of kaopectate and 2x a day some hyperimmodium that has atropine in it. He was originally shocked that I was doing that much immodium until I pointed out that junkies were doing 30-100 immodium to get the opioid effect and they didn't tend to die of that in the short term. Continued until I pointed out that through research no med was going to stop the runs as I pointed out I had no effective gut lining at that point in time, so we halted treatment for a week to give it a chance to heal up enough to finish the last 14 treatments.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

You know what I hate? I hate grown ass adults in a pissing contest about who was the most precocious reader in elementary school. Whatever adult in their life convinced them that being the bestest reader in 3rd grade set them apart from mere mortals did them no favor.

Last edited by Manda JO; 02-16-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:30 PM

This really defines “fixed mindset” versus “growth mindset,” doesn’t it?!
Old 02-16-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a professional indexer. This course is kicking my ass.

Of course, I'm not actually trying to be a professional indexer. I'm trying to make the indexes I create for the documentation I write better than they currently are. But there doesn't seem to be a course tailored towards technical writers. This is what's available, and now I'm stuck trying to index a (very badly written) document about the NAEP's Economics Framework. All sorts of both education-industry terminology and economics terminology, neither a subject area with which I'm familiar and all of which I'm finding it difficult to disentangle and determine what's important and what's just kinda there and no one will care about it.

Yes, I've been working on just this part of the test off and on all weekend (about 10 or so hours by now, mostly spent in rereading the damn thing because I'm not retaining any of it, which should tell you just how incredibly boring it is).

This is worth 40% of the test.

I'm trying to arrange for tomorrow off.

And my cat won't shut up.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
But there doesn't seem to be a course tailored towards technical writers. This is what's available, and now I'm stuck trying to index...
Technical writing is such a rich, fascinating field. There's got to be a better way to learn it! A local tech college? A course online? Lynda.com? Just watch some YouTube videos? A podcast? Take a writer out for breakfast and pick their brain?

Or do what I did...just start doing it. (As a designer always stuck waiting for copy, I finally asked "Hey, anybody mind if I give it a shot?")
Old 02-16-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
You know what I hate? I hate grown ass adults in a pissing contest about who was the most precocious reader in elementary school. Whatever adult in their life convinced them that being the bestest reader in 3rd grade set them apart from mere mortals did them no favor.
Right. I was the best reader back then, and shit - look at me now.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post

Maybe you can modify one of those "My child is an A+ student" bumper stickers to read "My child is a top reader, but I'm still a moron" and give them the bumper sticker without saying a word.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
TMI warning.

I caught Mr. brown's intestinal virus. He was sick for three days last weekend, and now it's my turn.

Last night I heaved up everything I've eaten for a week, together with everything I will eat for the next week. This was followed by major diarrhea.

I'm humiliated to say that I shat my sheets at 4 a.m. today. They're in the washing machine now. Haven't done that since I was two years old.

Forget the sports drinks. Open up a can of beef stock (chicken will also do). Sip on that and you get the electrolytes without the sugar.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Technical writing is such a rich, fascinating field. There's got to be a better way to learn it! A local tech college? A course online? Lynda.com? Just watch some YouTube videos? A podcast? Take a writer out for breakfast and pick their brain?

Or do what I did...just start doing it. (As a designer always stuck waiting for copy, I finally asked "Hey, anybody mind if I give it a shot?")
Tech writing I have covered, I've been one for about 25 years now. It's the indexing I'm trying to learn now.

As I said, there's no such thing as an indexing course that focuses on technical writers or on how to index technical manuals. [I actually, apparently, already make pretty good indexes, or so say the SMEs who use my documents ("Anytime I look for a topic, I find it in the index!").]

I just thought I could improve on things like term selection and formatting and cross-referencing and organizing so that I'm not 40 levels deep instead of, at most, 3 and ideally 2. So I talked my boss into letting me take a course in indexing, but the only one I found was an online course from the ASI. Don't get me wrong, it's good stuff, but it's focused on people who make a living from indexing and who are working in a lot of diverse fields. I'm never going to use the big indexing programs, or need to know how to index a range of periodicals, or how to cite bibliographic references.

The principles transfer, is what I keep telling myself.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to approach indexing this government-written document (and boy, does it show). The document is providing information to people who have to create the NAEP Economics test in their state/municipality/whatever level this is, but the audience for the index is supposed to be "general". Seems a bit incompatible.

I suppose I could argue that the test creators are the "general" audience, in this case...
Old 02-16-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Forget the sports drinks. Open up a can of beef stock (chicken will also do). Sip on that and you get the electrolytes without the sugar.
Premade broth has a lot of salt, which can be an issue for some people, such as those with heart conditions.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:27 PM

I'm not a basketball fan and I've got nothing against Kobe Bryant, but can we call the world leaders together and negotiate an end to the mourning over him? Fine, it was sad and he was probably a good dude, but this perpetual mourning is getting a little too much.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:44 AM

My roommate has a habit of taking off for a night or a few nights on a whim. Which is fine- it's her life. The problem is that she has all these animals to look after.

The other problem is that she's never once asked me to feed them or take care of them. I don't really mind feeding the dog or letting her out and the cats are even less of an issue because I can easily see if they've got food, water, and clean litterboxes. But if I'm supposed to be the one doing it, I need to be told that because this isn't my dog and this isn't, by default, my responsibility. The even bigger problem is that, more than just sort of saying nothing and making this possibly just an error in communication and slight discourtesy, she will swear up and down that she's going to do it or has done it or always does it, depending on the moment I bring this up. And then... she doesn't. Or hasn't. Which means if I go with what she says, her animals will go days and days without being fed or let out.

And THAT'S what drives me crazy. Because like tonight- I was out most of the day and got home around 9 and she was out. I had no idea how long it had been since she left, so I texted her to ask if I should feed the dog. She said no because she'll be back. Aaaaand... she's not. So my problem is not that it's such an onerous task to feed the dog, but that the dog had to go without her dinner til 1 AM when I, having dozed on and off because it's night time, woke up and realized my roommate still wasn't home. And had that not happened, she would have gone without entirely.

Last week, she was pet-sitting and before she left, we discussed it. She said she'd be back to take care of her animals "like always." and I told her that was fine and that I would likely not be home at all for the majority of the time, including overnights, so if she needed me to do anything, she would have to tell me. I'm trying to manage some pretty hairy family stuff and have been burning the candle at both ends

GAH OKAY we interrupt this rant for another small rant, which is that my fucking cat has developed a charming habit of going into his covered litterbox, starting to pee, and then turning so he starts by hitting the wall of the box and then ends by firehosing the whole very small room with urine (which he just did just now and I just cleaned up) and between that and the fact that he pukes like 30 times a day (I'm working on trying to help him with that, but in the meantime, it's a fucking mess on top of being worrisome), often on my pillow and bed or under my bed, I am losing my damn mind trying to keep this space clean enough to be habitable for both them and me. And my mobility is limited, so getting down on the floor to clean this up, moving the bed to get under it, stripping my bedclothes practically every day and trying to get them up and down the stairs, and trying to move other furniture to make sure all the pee is cleaned up... all of that is painful and unsafe and complicated and some of it pretty much impossible for me and I simultaneously want to wring his little neck and feel like a complete piece of shit for not being able to keep their environment as nice as they deserve.

Anyway, back to my roommate. She acted a little perplexed and a little offended when I told her not to assume I would be there and to specifically ask me if she needed me to feed the dog. Because she keeps asserting that she's always there to do it. Which I don't understand because like... the people who 100% know that isn't true are 1) me and 2) her, so why the charade?

She didn't visit the house at all for four straight days at one point. Probably longer. I wasn't there either and she still hadn't asked me to check on them at all, but since I don't trust her to do it and wasn't going to let the animals suffer just to make a point, I still came and made sure they were cared for. But- I'm not usually one for games like this, but I started leaving things in a particular way that would be changed if she came through and sticking a card in the door that would drop to the floor if the door opened to see if she had been there. I was frustrated with not being able to get a straightforward answer and with the fact she was lying to me. And the thing at stake wasn't just like... the dishes or the mail or just that I wanted to be controlling. It's living animals. And also, I thought there was a possibility that maybe she WAS coming when I wasn't there and I was overreacting and assuming the worst and making the issue up in my head and directing other stresses at her and being completely unfair overall. I wasn't.

I don't even think there's any point in trying to address this. Possibly it's just another thing like the bills- something that I just take care of because I know she's not going to do it and if I expect her to, it will just be a constant fight and I would constantly be stressed out and irritated with her about it, so it's a lot easier for both of us if I just pay them myself. But I just don't need another thing to juggle right now.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:39 AM

Gah, Surrender Dorothy, that sounds like a nightmare. But have you had your kitty checked for diabetes? I ask only because mine was doing the same; massive pees and puking all over. He's doing okay now with daily insulin shots that are actually way better than giving a cat a pill.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:41 PM

Okay, I'm all for people being careful or even staying home when it snows. But we have a poker party tonight and one of the invitees sent a worried email fretting about our forecasted 2-6" of snow, and offering to pick up others in his 4WD behemoth. Sounded like a good idea, so a couple people took him up on it.

He just sent a follow up. He'd slid on his steep driveway, so put his SUV back in the garage. He's not coming. Okay... but then he cancelled the party.

He's not the host. It's not his party.

But he's a Force Of Nature, and I know the host of the party won't stand up to him. Even though a ton of food's been made. I'm trying to get a couple of us to go out and visit the host, but sounds like he's given up.

NOTE: This is the frozen tundra. 2-6" is common, and easy to drive in for natives. But Canceller Palpatine is from the South, and I'm sure he feels like he's just saved a life or two with his swift, decisive action.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumtrimpet View Post
Gah, Surrender Dorothy, that sounds like a nightmare. But have you had your kitty checked for diabetes? I ask only because mine was doing the same; massive pees and puking all over. He's doing okay now with daily insulin shots that are actually way better than giving a cat a pill.
He could. He doesn't produce diabetic quantities of pee, though, so much as he just does a pirouette when he goes and distributes it where it does not belong. The goal for this week is to work out how and when I can get him in to see the vet for the vomiting and weight loss because I feel like I've exhausted the diet change options. He's semiferal, so the process of getting him there may be a little complicated and, since I'm not able to carry his carrier, I would need my roommate's help, which... well, you can guess how that goes. I do want to get him in for at least a checkup and maybe blood work. He just turned nine in shelter-estimate years, so it probably wouldn't hurt him to do a dental, too.

I suspect that it's stress related- my roommate's cats are extremely aggressive with my cats and will very deliberately attack them given the chance. Which, apart from being miserable for them, leads to my girl cat peeing in places other than the litterbox. We tried letting them out at different times so that they were separated but both able to have some freedom, but it's something that I'm a lot more concerned about than she is. Which is natural, given that it's my cats getting beaten up and my bed being peed on. So she kept forgetting to shut the door or letting her cats out of her room because her boy cat doesn't like being confined and will paw at the door in protest. So the end result is that my cats are confined to my bedroom 24/7 to keep them safe and keep things sanitary.

So they've been through a lot in the past few months. They went from living in a very quiet home with just me (and I'm very quiet myself) to having their space invaded and their home turn into a zoo and being stuck in one room all the time... I can't say I blame them for being a bit unhappy.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I'm not a basketball fan and I've got nothing against Kobe Bryant, but can we call the world leaders together and negotiate an end to the mourning over him? Fine, it was sad and he was probably a good dude, but this perpetual mourning is getting a little too much.
You may be displeased to learn that the NBA is considering changing its name to the National Bryant Association.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:56 PM

While those world leaders are together, can we also quit the mourning over Kurt Cobain, Anthony Bourdain, Paul Walker, Tupac, Biggie 'n' Bowie, Gandhi, FDR 'n' JFK? And where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:02 PM

Also Robin Williams and Steve Irwin.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:20 PM

What? Harambe is forgotten already?
Old 02-17-2020, 11:30 PM

Wait, wasn't Robin Williams just Harambe with ADHD?

(Let's pretend I had enough free time to find a pic of Mr. Williams jumping around shirtless, and photoshopped "Harambe Off His Meds" as the caption. And it made the front page of imgur and became a meme)
Old 02-17-2020, 11:59 PM

Leap Year? More like CREEP Year! February minirants.

No one stares at their phone than me, but how about when you are entering or exiting an elevator while checking your Instagram messages, yelling at your baby Daddy in the middle of a supermarket aisle, or texting your mother while exiting the “Entrance” door of the local supermarket, you for once HALF A SECOND consider the needs of others that need to use those spaces?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by russian heel; 02-18-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post

So they've been through a lot in the past few months. They went from living in a very quiet home with just me (and I'm very quiet myself) to having their space invaded and their home turn into a zoo and being stuck in one room all the time... I can't say I blame them for being a bit unhappy.
Sounds like you all could do with one less roommate.
My sympathies.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Premade broth has a lot of salt, which can be an issue for some people, such as those with heart conditions.
Low-sodium broth is available.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
You may be displeased to learn that the NBA is considering changing its name to the National Bryant Association.
I know you're joking, but there is a petition to put Bryant on the NBA logo which has gathered 2 million signatures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ion/index.html