Old 02-04-2020, 08:46 PM

2020 State of the Union speech

C-SPAN stream is already live even tho we have 15 minutes or so before the official start of the event.

This thread is for those of us watching and/or listening as the event happens and for discussion of the event afterwards.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:49 PM

Thanks for taking one for the team!
Old 02-04-2020, 09:11 PM

Trump refused to shake Pelosi’s hand. We’re off to good start. Jerk.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Who is that fat old guy with the pocket full of money that they keep showing? Clapping and cheering. (I am not making this up)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 PM

What's the over/under on how many false statements that Trump makes?

I think I saw a stat that last year he made one every two minutes. In the first few minutes, Trump seems to already made some.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 PM

He seems to be sticking to the script. Boring and uninformative (to be fair, all presidents stick to the prepared speech and those were boring and uninformative too).

Trump's no fun unless he can make things up as he goes along. The real mystery is how they got Trump to stick to the script.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 02-04-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Wait for the fact checkers; he's starting with bunch o' Claims o' Greatness.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
And how bad it was under Obama. What's the chance he brags about how much his tariffs have brought into the treasury?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:34 PM

Space Force! "Very important." Cut to kid who wants to go to space. Raucous applause all around.

It's the important things...
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Space Force! "Very important." Cut to kid who wants to go to space. Raucous applause all around.

Even Pence giggled when Trumpy mentioned "Space Force".
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Just a fact check. The economic expansion has been on for decade. The last three years of the Obama administration produced more jobs than the first three years of the Trump administration. Unemployment fell from 10.2 to 4.7 under Obama. It’s fallen another 1.2 percent under Trump.
Charter Member

Quote:

"He wants to look down on the world" ... probably resonates with Trump's way of looking at the rest of humanity.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post

I think I saw a stat that last year he made one every two minutes. In the first few minutes, Trump seems to already made some.
The NY Times is doing live commentary with real-time fact checking. So far (9:36 ET) it's 3 false, 2 "needs context", 5 true, 2 exaggerated.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Why is this little girl and her mom and others sitting on the steps in the gallery?? WTF?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Wait, the Border Wall and Health Care are both one same thing?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:53 PM

Melania is awarding Limbaugh the Medal of Freedom right there during the speech. Holy crap.
Charter Member

Oh please...
Oh, whatevs, it's idiocracy.

And going into full pander mode to the righty tighties.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 02-04-2020 at 09:56 PM.

I've long thought the "Presidential Medal of Freedom" was bullshit and barely worth a photo op.

This nails it. Rush Limbaugh gets it during a SOTU address?

(To be clear, I thought a lot of past recipients didn't deserve it either but this clinches it.)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Melania is awarding Limbaugh the Medal of Freedom right there during the speech. Holy crap.

Yeah. That made me puke in my mouth a little.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 PM

Wow...Trump is offering a whole slew of populist items. Things he has had zero interest in doing so far (infrastructure, high speed internet to rural areas, etc.).
Old 02-04-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Who is that fat old guy with the pocket full of money that they keep showing? Clapping and cheering. (I am not making this up)
Is it "The Monopoly Man"? There is a guy that shows up at things in that personna.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Just a fact check. The economic expansion has been on for decade. The last three years of the Obama administration produced more jobs than the first three years of the Trump administration. Unemployment fell from 10.2 to 4.7 under Obama. It’s fallen another 1.2 percent under Trump.

Article from last month:

Trump boasts the US economy is the best it's ever been under his watch. Here are 9 charts showing how it compares to the Obama and Bush presidencies

Quote:
* President Donald Trump has repeatedly pointed to the nation's steady economic health as the strongest indicator of his success, calling it "terrific" and "the greatest in the history of the country."
* But how does his handling of the economy compare to his immediate predecessors, Barack Obama and George W. Bush?
* Presidents receive a lot of credit when the economy is performing well and a barrage of criticism when it doesn't, despite the fact they don't exactly wield direct power over it.
* A closer look at the Trump economy reveals a mixed picture.
* Here are 9 charts tracking the highs and lows of the Trump, Obama, and Bush economies on key indicators like gross domestic product, unemployment, wages, and the federal debt.
And remember, in a 2016 interview with Bob Woodward:

Trump’s nonsensical claim he can eliminate $19 trillion in debt in eight years

Quote:
Donald Trump: “We’ve got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt.”

Bob Woodward: “How long would that take?”

Trump: “I think I could do it fairly quickly, because of the fact the numbers…”

Woodward: “What’s fairly quickly?”

Trump: “Well, I would say over a period of eight years. And I’ll tell you why.”

Woodward: “Would you ever be open to tax increases as part of that, to solve the problem?”

Trump: “I don’t think I’ll need to. The power is trade. Our deals are so bad.”

Woodward: “That would be $2 trillion a year.”

Trump: “No, but I’m renegotiating all of our deals, Bob. The big trade deals that we’re doing so badly on. With China, $505 billion this year in trade. We’re losing with everybody.”

— exchange during a Washington Post interview, March 31, 2016

Of all the wildly impossible assertions made by Donald Trump, the notion that he could eliminate the nation’s $19 trillion in debt in just eight years ranks near the top. Trump suggests he can manage this feat simply by cutting better trade deals.
Trump seems to be a little off pace on this, although to be fair to him, he does have a lot of experience with debt.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Politico live blogger: "We have now entered the Stephen Miller portion of the SOTU Address"
Old 02-04-2020, 10:10 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

He is going to eliminate AIDS??
Old 02-04-2020, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Christ on rollerskates, he's all over the place from one thing to another thing then back to something mentioned earlier; I think his speechwriters have despaired of keeping up one consistent arc.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 02-04-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
NPR has a Live Fact Checker on the SOTU here.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:18 PM

Never a miss an opportunity to threaten Iran, amirite?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:18 PM

Who decided that “war fighters” was an acceptable synonym for “soldier”? Sounds like something that someone with a limited grasp of English would come up with out of desperation.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Yes but once unemployment gets to around the 3 percent range it's very difficult to make it go down further. It's like a pitcher's baseball ERA; easy to go from 10 to 4 but hard to go from 4 to 2.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:22 PM

If you thought the Rush Limbaugh medal moment was cheesy, you ain’t seen nothing yet. We just had a surprise soldier homecoming.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Yes but once unemployment gets to around the 3 percent range it's very difficult to make it go down further. It's like a pitcher's baseball ERA; easy to go from 10 to 4 but hard to go from 4 to 2.
Pro tip: don't try sports metaphors. It's embarrassing for everyone.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Yeah...you can never get to zero percent unemployment (there are always some people out of a job/between jobs for one reason or another).

I forget exactly but IIRC 3.5-4% unemployment is considered "full employment".

That said I am dubious of the numbers. I do not think it is telling the whole story. If employees were so hard to come by then Econ-101 tells us wages should increase as employers compete for workers. But that is not really happening.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 PM

Pelosi tearing up his speech! LMAO
Old 02-04-2020, 10:29 PM

Pelosi fully showed her ass tonight. Will make for a good number of campaign commercials. It's the SOTU. Sit there and applaud or don't, but don't shuffle papers and look around like a sniper is after you. The ripping up of the speech was low class.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 PM

Donald Trump fully showed his ass tonight. Will make for a good number of campaign commercials. It's the SOTU. Don't stand there and lie to the American people and look like a proud baboon. Donald Trump is lowno class.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-04-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Pelosi fully showed her ass tonight. Will make for a good number of campaign commercials. It's the SOTU. Sit there and applaud or don't, but don't shuffle papers and look around like a sniper is after you. The ripping up of the speech was low class.
A big chunk of the electorate has embraced low class.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I did find her shuffling papers and pretending to read them while ignoring the president to be silly. Too obvious with no upside.

Tearing the papers...meh. Not classy but...meh. A minor "fuck you" towards the president. Given the circumstances it was the best she could manage. (Remember he refused to shake her hand at the beginning...tit-for-tat.)

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 02-04-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 PM

I'm not watching live on TV but I want to see a youTube highlights version later.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 PM

Man...the Dem response is so bad. Clearly written before the SOTU and not a response at all. Low effort.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:44 PM

Unless you do something totally memorable in a bad way, like Marco Rubio’s bottle of water, the response to the state of the union is instantly forgettable. Nobody cares.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:46 PM

All I could think of watching this was how divided the Congress was. Remember when Obama asked people to pair with someone from the opposite party? Remember when the Congresspeople did it?
Also, am I the only one who suspects that some strings were pulled to get that little girl skipped ahead in line to get her school choice, or to get that soldier home at just the right moment to surprise his family? What about all of the other children waiting in line for school options who watched somebody skip ahead of them by agreeing to be a feel good moment for the President.
I have nothing against feel good moments but not if they take away from the lies in the speech. I lost track about 3 minutes in. Everything is the best ever. Meanwhile, I have seen patients with Trump’s new “better” insurance which BTW does NOT cover preexisting conditions, and limits patients to three doctor visits a year. Good luck if you need weekly chemotherapy. Also, I hope that the mother with the extreme premie had good insurance to cover what must have been a multimillion dollar bill. I worried I’m going to have a stroke. Why did I watch this?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I did find her shuffling papers and pretending to read them while ignoring the president to be silly. Too obvious with no upside.

Tearing the papers...meh. Not classy but...meh. A minor "fuck you" towards the president. Given the circumstances it was the best she could manage. (Remember he refused to shake her hand at the beginning...tit-for-tat.)
Well, he didn't shake Pence's hand either and was in the process of turning around before she extended her hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aC9zQX01T8
Old 02-04-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Also, am I the only one who suspects that some strings were pulled to get that little girl skipped ahead in line to get her school choice, or to get that soldier home at just the right moment to surprise his family? What about all of the other children waiting in line for school options who watched somebody skip ahead of them by agreeing to be a feel good moment for the President.
Certainly these were all staged moments. Limbaugh's "shock" at getting the Medal of Freedom, the soldier and whatnot. All staged events. The whole thing is managed down to the littlest thing, there are no real surprises in the SOTU address (true for any president).

Hopefully the soldier was due to come home anyway. If he was cherry picked and jumped the line for a photo OP moment then, if I were him, I would be deeply embarrassed and upset. As nice as it is to go home and see his family explaining it to the other soldiers in his unit who didn't get to go home would suck. That said, as a soldier he has no say in it. Not his doing at all.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Why did I watch this?
I didn't. I suggest you don't.

Don't normalize this sonofabitch.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Well, it would have had more impact if she had wadded it up, doused it with lighter fluid, set it on fire, and lobbed it into the Republican side of the chamber, while laughing maniacally. If he makes a 2021 address, she ought to do just that.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Certainly these were all staged moments. Limbaugh's "shock" at getting the Medal of Freedom, the soldier and whatnot. All staged events. The whole thing is managed down to the littlest thing, there are no real surprises in the SOTU address (true for any president).

Hopefully the soldier was due to come home anyway. If he was cherry picked and jumped the line for a photo OP moment then, if I were him, I would be deeply embarrassed and upset. As nice as it is to go home and see his family explaining it to the other soldiers in his unit who didn't get to go home would suck. That said, as a soldier he has no say in it. Not his doing at all.
I very much agree. I don't like these human interest stories in the SOTU but that barn door was left to the goose and the gander who struck while the iron was running out the door striking the horse who was made to drink the water.

However, I thought that was one of the most stunningly powerful arguments for school choice ever made, even though the use of the little girl as a prop was in poor taste.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Pelosi tearing up his speech! LMAO
Sinead O'Connor called. She wants her gimmick back. Or at least a fist bump when the Speaker has time.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 02-04-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Who decided that “war fighters” was an acceptable synonym for “soldier”? Sounds like something that someone with a limited grasp of English would come up with out of desperation.
That term has been in common use for at least the past ten years, and I think it probably has to do with the fact that the military has become more professional and thus more of a "warrior caste" and less of a commonly shared rite of passage as it was in the past. Also, Marines are equally involved in combat as the Army, and they're not soldiers. And Navy SEALS who have been more involved in military operations in the past decade, are technically sailors, but the term "warfighter" seems to be more appropriate for them as they do not spend their time literally sailing on the seas. Only members of the Army are considered "soldiers." If you're referring collectively to members of all the branches of the military, your options are basically "troops" and "warfighters." And I guess they figured the latter sounds cooler.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Totally low class. Trump should have moved on her like a bitch. Grabbed her by the pussy.

Or maybe he should have just shown how good he is at mimicking the physically disabled.

Or maybe he should work harder at making fun of his opponents’ hard-to-pronounce names.

If there’s one thing that describes the Dem. party, and Pelosi in particular, it’s “low class.” She should take a lesson from Trump or Medal of Freedom winner Limbaugh on how to be classy.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 PM

Remember that young woman who testified before Congress that she felt that health care insurance should cover contraception? Rush Limbaugh took to the airwaves and make the repugnant (and logically dubious) connection that this made her a whore.
This is the guy who just got the Medal of Freedom.