Old 02-05-2020, 05:16 PM

Tell me who to vote for in the primaries

I'm looking for a candidate who can unite the center and the Left, who is the smartest person in the room, who has meaningful government experience, who has demonstrated interest in foreign policy (which is where a president has the most impact), and who is a crusader but who knows and can work within the system.

Preferably not someone pushing 80.

Most of all, I want someone who will fight the ongoing takeover of the government by authoritarians.

I'm leaning toward Warren but also have a positive impression of Buttigieg. Don't know anything about Klobuchar.

This person doesn't have to be the most electable - it's just the primaries.

(Of course I will vote for the Dem nominee in November.)

Who should I vote for in the primaries?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:19 PM

You have a difficult list. From your first sentence, I'd say Warren fits the bill, but then your second sentence comes in... I don't think there is a younger person who can do everything you want from your first sentence (Biden & Klobuchar can't unite the center & Left, Buttigieg does not have meaningful government experience, etc).
Old 02-05-2020, 05:23 PM

Maybe Klobuchar. I don’t think she’s offended anyone.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:41 PM

Biden canít unite the Center and the Left because the Left hates Biden. Also, there are signs heís slipping into senile dementia, so heís certainly not the smartest person in the room.

YMMV, but I donít think 8 years as Mayor of a smallish town counts as meaningful government experience, so thatís Buttigieg out. Obviously, this also excludes Yang.

Not pushing 80? Well, that knocks out Bernie and Bloomberg.

Iíve seen no meaningful evidence that Warren and Klobuchar are any more knowledgable about foreign policy than any other candidate. Warren, in particular, has always been far more focussed on domestic issues like reining in the banks and getting Super-PAC money out of politics than sheís been on foreign affairs.

Honestly, I donít know if thereís a single candidate who fits all your criteria. There are plenty of online tests which would probably be more helpful. Try: https://www.isidewith.com/

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 02-05-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Buttigeig seems the best match for what you're looking for. However he is young and hasn't had enough time to really build up experience within the system.

Bloomberg will alienate the left (if he buys the primary with his wealth).

Biden isn't very intelligent.

Sanders and Biden are both close to 80, so is Bloomberg.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Warren is old, has no strong foreign policy views, and is very authoritarian.

Klobuchar is the closest to your criteria.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:43 AM

Warren is the best fit for “uniting the center and the left” for sure. Not sure about foreign policy, but she definitely nails the intelligence and character aspects, and she is a leader in the fight against authoritarianism.

Pete and Amy are the other candidates who could bring together the center and the left MAYBE but I think the Bernie contingent will have more resistance to them.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm looking for a candidate who can unite the center and the Left...
I think you're already getting into "I want a magical unicorn" territory with that first half-sentence, at least during primary season. Indeed, pretty much any time a candidate STARTS to look like they can do that, as Warren did for a while back in the fall, supporters of the other candidates are instantly going to pile on and destroy as much of the unity as they can -- they have to, for their own preferred candidates to have any chance at survival. Hopefully, once the primaries are over, everybody will come to their senses and pull together behind whoever gets the nomination; but having vicious, pitched battles between different factions of a party is kind of the point of primary season. (Historically, Republicans have been better than Democrats at recognizing that this is all theater, and getting behind the candidate in August that they swore they detested in February; but if Democrats can't manage to recognize it THIS year, then we deserve what we get.)

Ugh, I hate primary season. I want it to be over already.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I'd agree that Klobuchar is probably closest to what you've described. But it's also one of those questions of "You can have it fast, you can have it cheap, or you can have it well-built -- pick any two out of the three."
Old 02-06-2020, 04:54 PM

I just read in the Times today that 45% of the Bernie Boys will not commit to vote for any other Dem in the fall. These are the ones who sat out the last election (apparently a few even voted for Trump as a "disruptor") and gave us president Trump.

From what I've seen, Klobuchar might be the best but her candidacy has stalled. Buttigieg? Awfully thin resume. I like Warren, although I wish she would realize that her medicare-for-all is a non-starter, not that I don't agree it is best. As I said elsewhere I would vote for a pile of steaming horseshit ahead of Trump.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I just read in the Times today that 45% of the Bernie Boys will not commit to vote for any other Dem in the fall. These are the ones who sat out the last election (apparently a few even voted for Trump as a "disruptor") and gave us president Trump.

From what I've seen, Klobuchar might be the best but her candidacy has stalled. Buttigieg? Awfully thin resume. I like Warren, although I wish she would realize that her medicare-for-all is a non-starter, not that I don't agree it is best. As I said elsewhere I would vote for a pile of steaming horseshit ahead of Trump.
Uh, if you're going to quote a statistic that's dramatically at odds with every other reported data on the subject, it is customary to provide cites. Thanks in advance.