Old 02-05-2020, 06:58 PM

Republicans will introduce a resolution to censure Pelosi for conduct during SOTU

For making little tears in each of the 10 pages so she would be able to tear up the entire speech first try? A reporter at The Hill wrote an opinion piece that said Pelosi should resign. That this sort of behavior sets a bad precedent. So was this a net gain for Pelosi and / or democrats? Will the censure vote be along party lines? Politics as usual on both sides I suspect.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:03 PM

At least she didn't yell "you lie" during the speech.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:04 PM

Cite - Representative (AZ) Paul Goser's Twitter account.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
At least she didn't yell "you lie" during the speech.
Yes he was censured for that.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:07 PM

Come on. This is rewarding her with the attention she wanted.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Come on. This is rewarding her with the attention she wanted.
And red meat thrown to both fan bases. I'm thinking of political win win.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:17 PM

Then Democrats will just try to censure Trump for not shaking Pelosi’s hand or such. I’m not surprised but she didn’t need to stoop to that level.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 PM

I'm not happy that she did it, but I do have some sympathy for her statement that it was better than the alternative. And I can't decide if I think Republicans should keep their mouths shut about what is proper behavior, decorum and respect, or if it would be more fun to hear them actually say those things. It's obviously pointless to introduce the resolution in light of the clear support she received from her caucus afterward.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:03 PM

She merely tore up the speech, he tore up reality.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:32 PM

I think her demeaning clapping at Trump was perfect for that time. This, I don't know. Seems petty. But she's a lot more politically savvy than I'll ever be, so perhaps this is one of those "for history's sake" things. Time will tell.
In any case, it's not a big fuckup or anything; come on, she was insulting Donald Fucking Trump. She could have flung shit at him chimpstyle and still outclassed Trump and his party.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:33 PM

C'mon, it's not like they're gonna impeach her or anything; we all know how that turns out.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Clearly, we need to have witness interviews before this censure can go forward. This means calling in Pence and Trump to tell their versions of the story, under oath, and subject to cross-examination. Plus the speechwriter - truth is an absolute defense to misconduct, so we need to determine whether the speechwriter knew there were untruths in the speech.

Also, I heard the whistleblower has a political agenda. We need to get to the bottom of that.

Did I mention that Pelosi and everyone who was in the room is subject to Speaker privilege, which she can invoke to prevent them from offering any evidence? After all, we have to look out for the prerogatives of the Speakership, not just this Speaker. Considering a censure would irrevocably change the balance of powers between the branches, you know, and if she thought that tearing up the speech would help her win re-election, then the act was in the public interest and you canít hold that against her.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:02 PM

Actually, censuring Pelosi would be a mistake for the Republicans, IMO.

Up until the time of impeachment, Pelosi had put together a long winning streak of beating up Donald Trump in the public eye. Impeachment changed the dynamics and turned Donald Trump the bully into Donald Trump the victim, or "Donald Trump the sonofabitch but the sonofabitch we'd rather remove than giving over that power to the House and Senate." Pelosi has struggled on how to handle impeachment, which is something her base wanted but much of the country was never committed to and she knew it. Pelosi's been in an awkward position the last few weeks.

Try to censure her, and it would be the same reaction among Democrats as it was for Republicans defending Trump. Almost everyone in the party would defend her. Sure, some might publicly say "I wish she hadn't done it in public, but..." It would give Nancy her footing back.

Go for it, I say.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Sure, they should censure Pelosi for ripping up the speech.

Right after they remove Trump for trying to extort a foreign nation into aiding his campaign.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:17 PM

God forbid the people who support a treasonous pedophile have their views on decorum assaulted.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers2B1 View Post
Yes he was censured for that.
With almost all Republicans not seeing a need for that "inconvenience". Foreshadowing the current asinine 3 monkeys act of the Republicans, it was the Democrats and a few Republicans back then that did agree that he deserved to get a "resolution of disapproval".

Last edited by GIGObuster; 02-05-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

"Resolution of disapproval"?

Did they make that up on the spot? Misdemeanor, petty misdemeanor, and itsy bitsy teeny tiny no-no? That's not even "Bad Joe! Go lay down by your water dish!"
Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 PM

It really is rich that anyone from the party of Donald Fucking Trump would have the stones to blart about decorum, but hey, go for it. Introduce a motion of censure in the Democrat-majority House. I'm quite sure the representatives will give it all the consideration it deserves.

Or better yet, draft a bill mandating that pieces of paper containing the President's words shall only be disposed of reverently, like all those anti-flag-burning bills that never seem to go anywhere.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

Were the Republicans' feelings hurt?

Fuck their feelings.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

There is definitely a slice of Republicans who feels the Democrats should be punished for daring to impeach Trump and punishing Pelosi would just be a good start. Trump's acquittal (has that been made official yet? I've lost track...) would just empower the bullies.

The fact that she's an uppity woman just makes them salivate that much harder.

Last edited by Broomstick; 02-06-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by eenerms; 02-06-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Were the Republicans' feelings hurt?

Fuck their feelings.

This.

Bill Maher made the point last week; we need Dems in the chamber yelling out "You Lie" during his address. No more of this "nice guy" nonsense.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Matt Gaetz is the guy filing the resolution. He's the same guy who stormed the HPSCI SCIF, bringing with him his phone/personal electronics, which is prohibited by a huge red sign on the door.

If he wants a vote on the Pelosi resolution, there should be a vote on stripping him of his access to classified information.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:30 AM

Pelosi meets expectations by standing up to Trump.
That is difficult to do, with an Orangutan in the room, since she keeps to the high ground and plays by the rules.
So, sometimes she has to play by the Orangutan's rules.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

The Republicans introduce a resolution censuring Nancy, the democrats introduce one censuring Trump.

Let's see how long the R's want to argue that tearing up a bunch of paper is the offense that merits censure.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:48 PM

Gee, I wonder if it will pass the House. Just gonna wait here on the edge of my seat until then.

Question: When the House votes on a resolution of censure, is it customary for the Speaker to have a paper copy of the resolution in question to refer to during the vote? Asking for a friend.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 02-06-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
She merely tore up the speech, he tore up reality.
He tears up so many things that they pay people to put those documents back together.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:45 PM

I'm sure she will feel duly chastised.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 PM
born to be shunned

I've stated my (low) opinion of Pelosi before. But I have to admit to leaving the sound off and just basically watching her during the speech. Yeah, in some ways she brings shame sometimes not just on our party but our species as well. But dammit -- she is entertaining about it! Her facial expressions and total lack of interest and sitting out most of the applause moments; it was just classical!
Old 02-06-2020, 08:09 PM

It would have been nice if someone had been able rig up an audio that would repeat the "You lie" guy so it would be in his voice. Awfully hard for the Republicans to condemn that, given that it would only remind people that their guy did it first.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

But what color suit was she wearing while she did it?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:53 PM

The Medal of freedom for Limbaugh is a disgrace. He used to insult and harass Chelsea Clinton on the air when she was 13. He shouldn't be honored at all by any US interest.

But I wonder: Did the baboon get upset that nancy didn't get his speech bronzed? Speech over, it's hers. And most important she was doing it for the 63 million voters that dumpy was disrespecting and ignoring. That was their, my, sotu speech. Don't rain on my parade.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:55 PM

She should have "corrected it" with a sharpie.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:02 PM

"Bring shame on our species" ?

Maybe we should all take a little break from social media...
Old 02-06-2020, 10:45 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
"Bring shame on our species" ?

Maybe we should all take a little break from social media...
No -- actually from "Night Court". I first picked it up from the character Bull Shannon during the first run of the series. Now what we all should take a little break from is assuming we know what is in anothers mind all the time.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Does censure carry any penalty beyond an official "tut-tut"?

Honestly, it seems near worthless to me these days (regardless of who they are doing it to or for what reason). Perhaps in the FFs time their sense of honor being impugned in such a way was a big deal. I doubt anyone cares much these days.

That it is used so casually in this case only undermines its value more. Kinda like Rush Limbaugh getting the Medal of Freedom. It demeans its value to worthlessness (and to be fair it has been given out too casually before this too as a political treat by other presidents...this is just the straw on that camel's back).
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 02-07-2020, 01:23 AM

Obviously Republicans have no standing to attack Pelosi given what they have enabled with Trump but I don't think Pelosi did the right thing either. The whole thing is an example of how Trump has poisoned all of US politics. Democrats seem to have this notion that Pelosi is a master tactician who is beating Trump week after week, for example with her supposed masterstroke of delaying the Senate impeachment trial. The reality is that Trump's approval is at 44%, close to an all-time high. I think impeachment was the right thing to do but the fact remains that Democrats completely failed to dent Trump's approval which is what matters. Trump has a lot of vulnerabilities but if Democrats can't come up with better lines of attack, they may well lose the election.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 AM

The Trump family business is malfeasance. The Pelosi family business is politics. I'll wager on Ms Pelosi's instincts.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
She should have "corrected it" with a sharpie.
Red one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschrodinger View Post
I'm not happy that she did it, but I do have some sympathy for her statement that it was better than the alternative.
I must have blinked. What's the alternative?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Puke her guts out leaps to mind.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Red one.

I must have blinked. What's the alternative?
Burning it Using it as TP. Seriously, irony is just lost on these people.

Last edited by E-DUB; 02-07-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
No -- actually from "Night Court". I first picked it up from the character Bull Shannon during the first run of the series. Now what we all should take a little break from is assuming we know what is in anothers mind all the time.
We all do need that break tho. It's a permafact. (;0
Old 02-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Does censure carry any penalty beyond an official "tut-tut"?
If it is a censure against a Representative, I think it comes with a Severe Glaring At.

Seriously, I think the censured person has to stand in the well of the House as the censure motion is read, but that is pretty much it.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

One thing it did was completely blow up any coverage of the actual speech itself, so just for that alone it was a savvy move.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:53 PM

I don't try to hide that I despise "Skeletor" Pelosi and any political failure she has is oh so sweet, but even I am at the point now where: Trump was acquitted so can we all move on and at least tolerate each other for the next 9 months?
Old 02-07-2020, 02:17 PM

Some Republicans were offended by this. I would think they would be even more offended at being lied to by Trump for well over an hour.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
If it is a censure against a Representative, I think it comes with a Severe Glaring At.

Seriously, I think the censured person has to stand in the well of the House as the censure motion is read, but that is pretty much it.
With their chewing gum on their nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
I don't try to hide that I despise "Skeletor" Pelosi and any political failure she has is oh so sweet, but even I am at the point now where: Trump was acquitted so can we all move on and at least tolerate each other for the next 9 months?
I'm guessing no.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Burning it Using it as TP. Seriously, irony is just lost on these people.
At least I know what "irony" means.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:50 PM

Frankly, I think the whole Democratic caucus should have walked out before it started. Giving him even the little bit of legitimacy that conforming with ceremony like it's business as usual is giving up at least some high ground.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
The events of later that same day make this the shortest-lived expression of hope in the history of the SDMB.