Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy available at BBC

The BBC has an online version of the classic Infocom Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy available to play. They've added some (static) graphics and a nice interface, plus all the clues you'll probably need after not playing it for umpty years.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 PM

It's been on internet archive and elsewhere for 800 billion yrs. HOWEVER, I'm still going to go play it again over at The Beeb.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 PM

nice i never got any f'n where on that game i hs .... and when the teacher ordered the hint book idiots lost the pen for it and used a highlighter which killed off the print
Old 02-07-2020, 12:44 PM

I'm trying to remember if it had documentation-based copy protection, the way a number of the later Infocom games did. (For example, in Leather Goddesses of Phobos, you had to type in something like "Kweepa" at some point every 11 turns or so; you only know this if you read the comic book that comes with the game.)

Here's a clue:
SPOILER:
Don't forget your toothbrush when you leave Earth - otherwise, you might end up stuck in the game forever.
At some point, Marvin asks you for something, and it'll be something you don't have if he can.

Here's another, which is something I didn't like about the game:
SPOILER:
There is a location where it lists the directions you can go in, but if you choose one of them, it says, "We were only kidding about (being able to go there), and IIRC, you actually have to go in a direction not listed.
There is also one where you have to type in "look" more than once before you actually find what you need.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:57 PM

The version of Hitchhiker’s that I had on my Mac didn’t have that copy protection.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:53 PM

I remember trying to play it on my Mac in 1984. Most maddening game evah.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:50 PM

I was never able to finish any of those Infocom games without the hints. Maybe it was because I was still an adolescent and not clever enough yet, but I have no idea how people did it.

Part of the problem was, as has been discussed before, there were ways you could get stuck without knowing you were stuck, wandering around the game world forever trying everything you could think of, having no way of knowing you missed the chance to get an item you no longer have access to and needed to restart the game.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:35 AM

I had this for the Apple ][. I remembered not liking it for some reason, then started playing using the link above, and now I remember. Sometimes, you just have to type the same thing over and over again -- right at the beginning, you type "wait" like four times to get the tractor to stop. Other text-based games that I played never did that.

Anyway, cool interface anyway!
Old 02-08-2020, 02:04 PM

I remember being thwarted for a week by telling the computer to go "Port" when it needed to go "Starboard". Nothing wrong with my thinking, it was just Douglas's sense of humor crashing my reality. I don't think I ever finished it.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:10 PM

I remember playing with a friend in high school on his commodore 128. i remember making it to the Vogon ship, but don't remember after that. I just gave this a look and I like the interface better then just the command prompt of old.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
I was never able to finish any of those Infocom games without the hints. Maybe it was because I was still an adolescent and not clever enough yet, but I have no idea how people did it.

Part of the problem was, as has been discussed before, there were ways you could get stuck without knowing you were stuck, wandering around the game world forever trying everything you could think of, having no way of knowing you missed the chance to get an item you no longer have access to and needed to restart the game.
Oddly enough Hitchhiker's was the only Infocom game I ever beat without hints. It took a long time, and I lost track of how many times I restarted.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:26 PM

This wasn't a game; it was an exercise in torture. Do I really want that frustration again?
Old 02-09-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
This wasn't a game; it was an exercise in torture. Do I really want that frustration again?
How much do you hate yourself?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Just donít panic.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
How much do you hate yourself?
As much as a relapsed smack addict who just stole $40 from my daughter's jewelry box.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Just don’t panic.
I have my towel.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
As much as a relapsed smack addict who just stole $40 from my daughter's jewelry box.
Very good then. Don't forget the junk mail.