Old 02-08-2020, 12:40 AM

Warm fuzzies sent.

My Eldest Nephew and First Godson is taking Confirmation today, I'll be thinking of you guys.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:42 AM

I'm so, so sorry, Old Wench. Here's hoping kopek rallies soon. Hugs.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Best wishes to you and Kopek. May he have a full recovery.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Yipe! Hang in there, both of you!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:39 AM

You are both on my prayer list. XOX
Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

kopek I'm begging you: Please pull through this and get well. I miss you.

And Old Wench healing thoughts your way.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:01 AM

Haunt Club Heather and Mike and Joel are praying for him but will keep things quiet as you prefer.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:02 AM

Very sorry to hear this; best wishes on a recover and to your family.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sending healing wishes and feel free to vent here all you need to
Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 AM

Just so you know who we're talking about here...

Ruble (Kopek → Ruble; most Mumpers {MMPers} get a nickname).
  • Ain't right in the head.
  • Has two females in his life, Old_Wench...& Bessie.
  • Doesn't directly post pics to the Dope; he usually emails them to me to post for him.
I have these pics because I posted them for him back in July when he went on an outing with Bessie. The setup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Tomorrow is Cow Appreciation Day.

Ruble, if you can get rubber chickens in time, I bet they'd give Bessie a free oil change & some C-F-A social media publicity for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
My free sandwich was terrific. Spidey may post pictures later but ---------- I walked in and the older lady at the counter asked if she could help me. I pointed over my shoulder with my thumb and asked "does that qualify for a sandwich or do we need to consult the rules committee?" She looked out the window and at the same time the young lady next to her did as well. Turns out the younger one was the manager. She said "Oh God - that SO counts!" The lady I originally spoke to said "But you have to ride it in" but as I started for the door she seemed to change her mind about that part. It was fun and I am glad I did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Thanks to everyone for all of the prayers, good wishes, etc. We both truly appreciate them.

The good updates I have are that (1) the hospital didn't call me overnight, so there's no new bad news; (2) I finally got in touch with his brother & his wife, who are on a cruise to Greece; they get home to Florida tomorrow but I don't expect him to come up here for several reasons, and I'm perfectly fine with that -- it's on his conscience, not mine; and (3) I talked to my aunt (the nun) and she's got the whole convent praying even harder than they usually do.

I also contacted The Jungle to apply for medical leave for him to protect his beloved job (trying to be optimistic here), and arranged for his favorite manager (the one he hit in the face with a pie) to get in touch with me personally. The young lady I spoke with at his job site was devastated when she realized who I was talking about and that Santa was seriously ill. I told her he's going to be really pissed when he wakes up and sees that the doctors had to shave off part of his beard to insert a catheter into his neck (more optimism there).

I'll be going back to the hospital this afternoon and will try to update later.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
Haunt Club Heather and Mike and Joel are praying for him but will keep things quiet as you prefer.
I had a voice mail from one of the club people (Chris H., if you know him) last night so I knew something got posted somewhere. That's OK - I was trying to keep it somewhat quiet (1) until I got in touch with his brother, and (2) I can't deal with a barrage of e-mails & phone calls at this point. I need to wait until we have some answers, good or bad.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:55 AM

I forgot to say in my earlier message -- if any of you have our phone number (Spiderman, Kayaker, others?), feel free to call me. I feel like you're all part of our family -- sorry about that.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

So sorry to hear this, Old Wench.

Kopek is one of the best!

Prayers coming. And internet {{{{hugs}}}}!
Old 02-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Prayers
Old 02-08-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Wench View Post
I had a voice mail from one of the club people (Chris H., if you know him) last night so I knew something got posted somewhere. That's OK - I was trying to keep it somewhat quiet (1) until I got in touch with his brother, and (2) I can't deal with a barrage of e-mails & phone calls at this point. I need to wait until we have some answers, good or bad.
I sent a PM to Heather and Mike because they know Kopek from coaster events. They're worried about him and I'm keeping them posted. Heather was my college roomie and she's the one who got me into going to Knoebels.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I sent a PM to Heather and Mike because they know Kopek from coaster events. They're worried about him and I'm keeping them posted. Heather was my college roomie and she's the one who got me into going to Knoebels.
That's fine, they're good friends. I just talked to Chris and he told me it was a private message. His VM to me was very hard to hear and I misunderstood what little was comprehensible. As you can imagine, my brain is fried right now.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:53 PM

I totally understand. My husband had a cardiac arrest shortly after we got married. He was put in a coma, hooked to more machines than I knew existed, and it made me a little loopy. He had to have his wrists restrained because he kept trying to pull out the tubes. It was touch and go for a while. He recovered and I have high hopes for Kopek.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:30 PM

Update du jour:

I just got back from AGH and there's some small positive news.

They've removed several of the medications, they've warmed him back up and there is some small response to painful stimuli, and he's back to being sedated rather than paralyzed. His heart rate is back up slightly but they seem to be OK with it. His left arm (which had the IV infiltration) is probably about halfway back to normal. They told me the hip appears to be fine.

He did respond very slightly when the nurse called his name loudly but he ignored me when I did the same thing moments later. I told her that's because he quit listening to me years ago.

I told him about all the people here & elsewhere who were sending him prayers, good vibes, etc. I reminded him that he told me that meeting swampbear and OYKW is a goal of his (he told me it had something to do about confirming a rumor that they were gay; anyone know anything about that?), so he'd better hurry up and get his butt out of that bed.

The OW
Old 02-08-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
He had to have his wrists restrained because he kept trying to pull out the tubes.
His are restrained too. When the nurse wasn't around, I told him he was kinky.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:41 PM

Oh, that sounds like good news. Thanks for the update.
Keep 'em coming.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I told him about all the people here & elsewhere who were sending him prayers, good vibes, etc. I reminded him that he told me that meeting swampbear and OYKW is a goal of his (he told me it had something to do about confirming a rumor that they were gay; anyone know anything about that?), so he'd better hurry up and get his butt out of that bed.

The OW
Wait!! What?!?! OYKW and I are GAY!?!? Well, that would explain some of the ummm... stuff we do to each other. Old_Wench tell ruble I said I.N.G.O.*

*It Never Gets Old
Old 02-08-2020, 07:46 PM

I'm glad to hear that there is hopeful news. If you can work in a joke about FCM and her coasters we'll be doing really well.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I'm glad to hear that there is hopeful news. If you can work in a joke about FCM and her coasters we'll be doing really well.
I love coasters. The Phoenix is a particular favorite, especially the front seat. Ditto Ravine Flyer II, Twister and The Beast. Which ones does FCM consider to be "her" coasters?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:44 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
I reminded him that he told me that meeting swampbear and OYKW is a goal of his (he told me it had something to do about confirming a rumor that they were gay; anyone know anything about that?), so he'd better hurry up and get his butt out of that bed.

The OW
GRAY. He's an old guy, of course he's gray. Oye.

If Mrs. Plant, (v.3.0) were to post that I was in the hospital, most of the MMP people would post, "Who?".
Old 02-08-2020, 08:48 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Everyone's a comedian!!!

Glad to hear about Ruble's hopeful signs! He's just ornery enough to pull thru and make this a big joke.

And take care of yourself, too, OW! I don't know If you remember, but we met eons ago at norinew's memorial gathering. I hope we can all meet again soon.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I love coasters. The Phoenix is a particular favorite, especially the front seat. Ditto Ravine Flyer II, Twister and The Beast. Which ones does FCM consider to be "her" coasters?
The kind you put under your glass

Glad to hear there is some positive news.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:52 PM

Not me, Carni*
I would know who you are.
(Make sure I'm listed in your will, I claim your DVDs).

Someone tell Mom, it wasn't me who left water marks on the tables. I was careful, even though someone stole all the coasters.

(*nickname)
Old 02-08-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Everyone's a comedian!!!

Glad to hear about Ruble's hopeful signs! He's just ornery enough to pull thru and make this a big joke.

And take care of yourself, too, OW! I don't know If you remember, but we met eons ago at norinew's memorial gathering. I hope we can all meet again soon.
I remember that. It was also on that trip that we discovered a new coaster (my kind, not yours) at Adventure Park. We stopped on the way back home.

All of you should show up at the hospital. That will either wake him up or make him think he's having a real crazy dream!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Prayers said at Mass tonight.

StG
Old 02-08-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I remember that. It was also on that trip that we discovered a new coaster (my kind, not yours) at Adventure Park. We stopped on the way back home.

All of you should show up at the hospital. That will either wake him up or make him think he's having a real crazy dream!
Hmmmmm….according to Googlemaps, if I hopped in the car right now, I should make it sometime around 6:30 AM EST. I wonder if the MMP could get a group rate a motel.

Glad he's improving a bit. Tell him I'll spot him an order of scattered, smothered, covered chunked the next time y'all come to Beach Bend.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:11 PM

carnivorousplant, you're underestimating. I'd sure remember who you are, and so would most other Dopers. You've been on the Dope about 20 years, so add in all the people who are no longer on the SDMB would also remember you.

OW, I love the updates. Thanks so much for keeping us informed.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 PM

Thinking of you both. Good luck and stay strong.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Or else he'd think he'd gone to Hell.

Thanks for keeping us informed OW {{{{{OW and Ruble}}}}}.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
If Mrs. Plant, (v.3.0) were to post that I was in the hospital, most of the MMP people would post, "Who?".
And we Death Poolers would be going, "damn, I'd put him on my list for next year, but he's not exactly a celeb, is he?"
Old 02-09-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
And we Death Poolers would be going, "damn, I'd put him on my list for next year, but he's not exactly a celeb, is he?"
That and it would violate the "No Dopers" rule.

So glad to hear ruble is improving. I'm sure he would get his butt out of that bed if he wasn't tied down.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:50 AM

Old_Wench, I wanted to thank you for keeping us all up to date on his condition. It’s truly a mitzvah.

He and I never interacted much - I think we mostly post in different threads. He’s just one of those Dopers I like seeing around. I knew he was a PA guy and liked motorcycles, though. Didn’t know about the roller coaster thing.

I have only been to Knoebel’s once and it was ages ago, but it was a blast - except for the part where my so-called friends talked me into taking the front seat on the log flume - I spent the rest of the day in drippy britches. I think a Knoebel’s dopefest must happen this summer. (Knopefest?) I’m staying away from that log flume though.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:24 PM

You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:57 PM

Any news today? You are both in my thoughts.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:06 PM

I just got back from the hospital - very exciting update to follow as soon as I can type it up.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:09 PM

Yay!!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just got back from the hospital - very exciting update to follow as soon as I can type it up.
YES! Everyone here has been hoping for good news!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Are you ready?

They removed the sedation at 8:00 a.m. and it has to work its way out of his system. In about 24-48 hours after that, they can begin some neurological assessments. EEG today was negative for seizures. He’s moving his hands & feet slightly and has some responses to painful stimuli. His pupils are reacting to light. They’ve started giving him some nourishment through a tube, which he’s partially tolerating. He's still on the ventilator but it's been turned down.

And now the really big news: When the nurse did something with the suction, he opened his eyes REAL wide. The doctor was also there and told him to blink twice – and he did! And then did it again when she told him to! He can count to two – I was so happy!! There’s something cognitive in that head!

There's still a long way to go but HE CAN COUNT TO TWO!!!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:24 PM

Omg, that's great!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:26 PM

I've been refreshing this thread since it was posted, excited for good news... I'm glad he's doing better! Warm fuzzies and lots of prayers to the both of you!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:28 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

That is outstanding news -- thank you for sharing it with us!

Continued prayers and positive thoughts for you both.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Good news for sure!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:37 PM

Yes!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Terrific news!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

So, to quote Sesame Street: the number of the day is 2!!! YAAAAAY!!!