Old 02-09-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Wench View Post
There's still a long way to go but HE CAN COUNT TO TWO!!!
That's only half the couplet; can he buckle his shoe?

Glad to hear it!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:03 PM

Praying for him!! Tell him Pearl (that would be me, tho I don't Mump as much as I used to) sends her love.

As an aside, I am shocked , shocked I tell you, to find out Swampy and OYKW are gay.

(Yer right... that never gets old )
Old 02-09-2020, 08:11 PM

So, so happy.
More, more!!!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
That's only half the couplet; can he buckle his shoe? !
This is what I'm anxiously waiting for.

Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

The OW, heading off to the Jungle to buy The Holy Hand Grenade (they sell everything, don't they?)
Old 02-09-2020, 08:38 PM

Yep, you can buy one
Old 02-09-2020, 08:56 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
carnivorousplant, you're underestimating. I'd sure remember who you are, and so would most other Dopers. You've been on the Dope about 20 years, so add in all the people who are no longer on the SDMB would also remember you.

OW, I love the updates. Thanks so much for keeping us informed.
Humor. It is a difficult concept.

I am happy about the good Kopek news.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 PM

Best news I've had all day! I'm so happy to learn this! I'm betting there are lots of other numbers in that noggin. Looking forward to the day you can re-re-re-rewatch The Holy Grail together.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you ready?

They removed the sedation at 8:00 a.m. and it has to work its way out of his system. In about 24-48 hours after that, they can begin some neurological assessments. EEG today was negative for seizures. He’s moving his hands & feet slightly and has some responses to painful stimuli. His pupils are reacting to light. They’ve started giving him some nourishment through a tube, which he’s partially tolerating. He's still on the ventilator but it's been turned down.

And now the really big news: When the nurse did something with the suction, he opened his eyes REAL wide. The doctor was also there and told him to blink twice – and he did! And then did it again when she told him to! He can count to two – I was so happy!! There’s something cognitive in that head!

Hell, he couldn't do that on Pub Crawl back in 2011.
But great news!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:32 PM

Yay! Up to two!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
The doctor was also there and told him to blink twice – and he did! And then did it again when she told him to! He can count to two – I was so happy!! There’s something cognitive in that head!

And he can hear. And he can understand that he was being asked to count to two.

Yeehah! Multiple cheers for encouraging news!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:53 PM

Huzzah! Way to go Ruble! *hugs* to you OW. We appreciate that you're keeping us in the loop.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
Wait!! What?!?! OYKW and I are GAY!?!?
The hell? I thought you two were just joyful!

OW, sending more prayers and good thoughts and happy thoughts and all that jazz.

Da Jungle has announced they're not going to World Mobile; according to the news it's because of coronavirus, but we know better. They're missing a key element in their logistics team!
Old 02-10-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
I just got back from the hospital - very exciting update to follow as soon as I can type it up.
YAY!!!

C'mon, hurry!
Old 02-10-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
YAY!!!

C'mon, hurry!
See post #93.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:52 AM

Good to hear the exciting news, Old_Wench, and I hope Kopek continues to make improvements. Please take care of yourself, you spend so much time worrying about someone else, it's also you who needs some of those positive vibes.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!
Old 02-10-2020, 06:57 AM

How appropriate for Santa to benefit from some Christmas magic!
Old 02-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Praying for best outcomes and swift recovery.

You are so kind and thoughtful to keep us fully informed and we look forward to better days ahead.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Old 02-10-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Yay for the good news Old_Wench! I continue to keep Ruble in my prayers. Tell him I even have Whiskypalians prayin' for him!
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 AM

Best wishes. I’ve always considered him one of the good guys around here.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 AM

Don't get excited, I have no update yet today. As you can imagine, the visiting hours are fairly restricted and I'm going for the 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. session and will try to post when I get home.

In the meantime, I just want to say that I truly appreciate all of the good wishes, prayers, offers of help, etc. for both of us and I've been telling him about them too. You're all good people, if a little weird -- and if you've met Kopek, you know that I'm OK with weird.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:53 AM

Best wishes to you and kopek, one of the nicest posters on this board. I just found out this morning and I'm so glad to read the good news.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:00 PM

I'm going with 'no news' is good news!
()

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-10-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:22 PM

YAAAY, counting to 2 is a really big deal!
Old 02-10-2020, 09:38 PM

Brief update because I'm tired, hungry, frustrated and I don't want to be the responsible adult right now.

He's running a slight temperature, is off of a few more meds, they're watching brain swelling, they did a new EEG late this afternoon for results tomorrow. He's not tolerating the nourishment stuff well. He was making no movements and never opened his eyes while I was there. The biggest concern remains the oxygen deprivation. It's a disappointment after yesterday but the nurse assured me it's basically status quo.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brief update because I'm tired, hungry, frustrated and I don't want to be the responsible adult right now.

He's running a slight temperature, is off of a few more meds, they're watching brain swelling, they did a new EEG late this afternoon for results tomorrow. He's not tolerating the nourishment stuff well. He was making no movements and never opened his eyes while I was there. The biggest concern remains the oxygen deprivation. It's a disappointment after yesterday but the nurse assured me it's basically status quo.
It's a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself. Please be patient, be kind to yourself.

You're in my continued prayers.

StG
Old 02-10-2020, 09:43 PM

Old 02-10-2020, 09:45 PM

Praying for him, and for you tonight, OW.. *HUGS* Hang in there!
Old 02-10-2020, 10:19 PM

My late former mother-in-law was a nurse, and she told me something that's stood me in good stead: recuperation is not a continuum. Some days there'll be evident progress, and some days there won't be.

I'm still praying for him and for you.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brief update because I'm tired, hungry, frustrated and I don't want to be the responsible adult right now. quo.
Completely understandable. Be good to yourself, take care of yourself. If you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of anyone else. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You MUST make an effort to get rest and proper food. Sending my best wishes to you both.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

What everyone else is saying about taking care of yourself. Get as much sleep as you can, that heals YOU. Get regular meals of real food, not just stuff snatched in the hospital cafeteriaIif they have one, or not fast food. If you don't feel like cooking, treat yourself to a restaurant meal, where someone serves you, and don't feel guilty.

Will continue prayers for you and kopek.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:43 AM

Thanks, everyone. I know all of that but it had been a long, cold, rainy day and an always annoying lady on the morning bus made the mistake of saying something to me that was completely unnecessary and obnoxious (I looked her in the eye from across the aisle and said, "Lady, I have just had the most phenomenally shitty weekend, so do not start with me -- just do not start because you will not win.") She started to open her mouth again, saw the look on my face, and then thought better of it. Wise woman.

I was just looking forward to seeing his eyes open.

And yes, I am going in to work because it keeps me occupied and my co-workers are pretty darn nice (although I've decided not to share this with the whole place yet, just the people who need to know and HR).

And FCM, this is for you: I got a packet of stuff from a charity called Boys Ranch (never heard of them, certainly never sent them money, didn't even know that's where boys came from), but among the address labels, notepad, birthday cards and fancy stickers are -- are you ready? -- four cardboard coasters with our last initial and last name on them ("Enjoy these coasters with our compliments!"). I damn near fell over laughing. Do you have monogrammed coasters? If not, get on their mailing list and get some of your own!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

We just received that very same package from Boys Ranch. I also had to laugh. Note that the cardboard coasters have the initial printed on both sides. This way when the moisture soaks through the coaster (in about five minutes) the ink on the back can leave a nice imprint on the furniture or tablecloth. Nice touch.

I'm glad you are going to work but I hope you also feel that you can take some time off if you need it. But distraction is useful too. You're so kind to keep us all informed; know that we are all pulling for you and Kopek. And keep on giving the annoying people on the bus (or wherever) hell!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

HAH! No, I never received complimentary coasters in the mail from anyone, but I'll pass on the opportunity to receive even more junk mail. Also, good job with the woman on the bus - I'm sure she didn't learn a thing from the encounter, but her type probably never does.

Hmmm, did it occur to you that kopek didn't open his eyes just to screw with you? Would he yank your chain like that?? OK, maybe not. But you can grill him when he comes out of this. I won't reiterate all the advice that's been offered to you, but know that I (and we) remain with you in spirit thru this. We're all pulling for our friend!

Hang in there!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

!

Just remind him that he still has to confirm the rumor that I'm gay, WHAT?!?!? I'M GAY?!?!*

*INGO
Old 02-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Old Wench, I hope kopek is messing with you, concerning the eyes! Now, going to work sounds like a good thing, but how are you eating? And sleeping? I'm glad you got a chance to vent at the bus woman.

Ah swampie, you keep dashing my hopes. You're only six month older than me, you like good food, have a sense of humor, and are Whiskeypalian like me. If it wasn't for that one teensy thing,(well maybe not so teensy) I'd be after you like you can't imagine. Tell OYKW he has good taste.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:31 PM

I think he is screwing with you.

Hugs to both of you, even if one of you isn't aware of them.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And yes, I am going in to work because it keeps me occupied and my co-workers are pretty darn nice (although I've decided not to share this with the whole place yet, just the people who need to know and HR).
People were amazed at how much I continued to work when my husband was ill, but in many ways it was the only island of normal in a sea of overwhelming.... stuff. For a few hours I was occupied with something other than the calamities in my life.

If work helps you then by all means continue to work.

Do keep HR and other need-to-know people up to date with what's happening. You might want to look into FMLA even if you don't intend to use it right now so if you do need it you'll know what to do to get it.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
People were amazed at how much I continued to work when my husband was ill, but in many ways it was the only island of normal in a sea of overwhelming.... stuff. For a few hours I was occupied with something other than the calamities in my life.

If work helps you then by all means continue to work.

Do keep HR and other need-to-know people up to date with what's happening. You might want to look into FMLA even if you don't intend to use it right now so if you do need it you'll know what to do to get it.
That's exactly it for me too. Also, the hospital is right across the river and through the woods (well, a wooded park/commons) from my office -- I can see the Cardiac ICU waiting room windows from our office. I got my FMLA paperwork yesterday and once he gets a little further along so that the doctors have all of the information to fill it out re: assistance, etc., I'll give it to them. I've also got his medical leave request papers from Da Jungle which I'll take in tomorrow for completion.

I did not go in today. I had a very bad night and just couldn't do it. I finally got to bed around 6:00 a.m. (after making a pot of coffee and a pot of rice because for some reason that's what I wanted at 5:00 a.m.). When I got up, I went to our local diner for the best bacon cheeseburger ever and let them know about him.

Update in next post.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 PM

Tuesday:

Mostly good news: His temperature is down, all IV medications have been stopped, the ventilator has been turned down, and he's tolerating the nourishment now that his stomach has started moving things along. He is now completely warm, arms look better but hands are still swollen. He showed obvious discomfort and opened his eyes when the nurse did something uncomfortable with the ventilator suction. And I finally saw the bruising on his chest from the CPR.

The disappointing news is that the CPAP apnea ventilator test earlier today did not go well.

Overall, I think he's still a bit better than yesterday. The prayers are definitely working and I feel much better than I did last night.

I also had a wonderful bacon cheeseburger at our local dive diner and then procured dark-chocolate-filled medicinal Oreos.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:27 PM

Yay for betters and burgers! *HUGS* Prayers ongoing
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 PM

I'm sorry he's uncomfortable but he's feeling the pain and is expressing it. I think it's good news.
Take care of yourself.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:50 PM

I'm glad he's continuing to improve! My continuing well wishes to you both. :hugs:
Old 02-11-2020, 09:45 PM

Three cheers for medicinal chocolate; and more than that for encouraging news.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 PM

One thing about having a loved one who's critically ill: it reminds us of how complex each reaction and each movement is. The things we take for granted each day! I'm heartened by today's news. I'm glad you're looking out for yourself and enjoying small pleasures. And I' m still praying for both of you.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Good to hear there's some improvement. And dive cheeseburgers.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Yay for the good news! Also yay that you benefit from the medicinal properties of dive cheeseburgers and Oreos!
Old 02-12-2020, 06:50 PM

Yay for good news, dive burgers and oreos!
Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 PM

Where does one procure these dark chocolate filled medicinal oreos?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
Where does one procure these dark chocolate filled medicinal oreos?
I got them at Giant Eagle but I suppose you could get them anywhere Oreos are sold. No prescriptions are required.

No real update today, pretty much status quo, awaiting results from MRI to be done tonight, and for condition to improve appropriately for yet more tests. He'd damn well better be studying hard for these tests because I told him we will NEVER be going through this again.

Another convent full of nuns has been added to the prayer list, and he knows better than to piss off nuns.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Please keep the good thoughts, prayers, warm fuzzies, etc. coming.
I don't do this prayer thing very well but loads of good thoughts, warm fuzzies, and good wishes for the best possible outcome are on their way! Thanks for keeping us informed.