Old 02-07-2020, 04:36 PM

A mundane victory, please add yours

Yesterday I had some rare time alone at home, I was getting things ready for today and being productive. I looked in my closet and saw a pair of pants that I had forgotten about, so I tried them on. Excellent in the waist but too long (a pet peeve of mine).

Well, what to do? I ripped the hem, cut off the excess, pinned and hemmed them to the right length.

Hey! They are the correct size now! Victory!

What is your mundane victory of the day?
Old 02-07-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labor View Post
Yesterday I had some rare time alone at home...
This qualifies as a mundane victory by itself in my book.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I needed square boxes of tissue for my house, and bought a rather large pack from Costco.

Got home and realized I'd recently purchased a pack of square-box tissues, and I was completely out of rectangle-box tissues to sit on top of the toilet. So now I have too many square boxes and no rectangle boxes.

Next day, installed a new toilet*, which has a different setup and can no longer accommodate rectangle-box tissues. But square box fits just fine. Woohoo!

*No I didn't install a new toilet just because I had the wrong shape of tissue box! It was already planned for

Last edited by ZipperJJ; 02-07-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:46 PM

This is my last day of bed rest after recent surgery. Yay!
Old 02-07-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Managed to caulk around the kitchen window. Been getting sugar ants and I think that's where they're coming in. Also changed out the spray head on the kitchen faucet.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:18 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I slept through the night mostly. Now that Iím working overnight that a rarity for me on my days off.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:30 PM

The county inspector signed-off today on the backup generator installed this week. Now we can dare think of an EV.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 PM

Went shopping with DIL. I'm feeling really good right now, so, I didn't regret going 10 minutes down the road.
Got some stuff I need.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:14 PM

I usually wake up around 2-3 am to use the bathroom, and I don't sleep well after that. Today, the clock said 1:58. I realized that a lot of light was coming in through my room-darkening curtains, and was wondering who could be shining a light in the 2nd story. Than I looked at the clock again and realized it said 7:58. I slept through the night! And school is closed today, so I got to sleep in! Woohoo!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:18 PM
SD Curator of Critters

A couple of years ago I got into a game of chicken with a taxi driver who refused to let me merge into "his" lane. The result was a draw: I took his side view mirror, and he took my passenger side door handle.

The door handle was smashed in enough that whenever anyone was in the passenger side, I had to go around after they got out and slam the door to make sure it was properly closed. But I don't often have passengers, and it wasn't a big enough hassle to spend the money to take it to the shop and get it fixed.

So a couple of days ago I decided to see if there was anything I could do to fix it myself. I managed to get a screwdriver in behind the handle and pop it out so it now works perfectly! Whoo-hoo!

Last edited by Colibri; 02-07-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 PM

I finished up running our school book fair today. I had a good group of older kids who made it a lot easier. Last night, when I stayed late because there was a parent meeting that would result in selling a lot more books, I made a big production out of leaning back in a chair while kids handled the transactions (I did watch and make sure they didn't mess up, which they never did). A couple of parents said they looked like a well oiled machine. Next week they get a pizza party.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Opened a cupboard to get the spice grinder and both the immersion blender and a roll of vacuum sealer bags fell out. I caught them both before they hit the counter. Not bad for a geezer.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:48 AM

Sent in my *for realz* last law school application. I figured I was going to stop at the end of December, particularly as it was already late in the cycle, but after much thought and quiet reflection decided there was one more institution worth shooting for.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:48 AM

I took a wild guess at the date of Christmas 2025 - and I was right! How 'bout that? It's the 25th December. Again! You don't believe me? Cite.

On reflection, maybe that's less of a mundane victory for me and more of a crushing defeat for humanity.

j
Old 02-08-2020, 07:37 AM

The dog was sleeping on the couch next to me. I heard a thud and looked over. He had fallen on the floor. I made sure he was okay, and gave him some love. It's what I would want if I did an embarassing thing.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:48 AM

I've been waiting a month or so for three consecutive no-rain sunny days to spray a weedy area with some herbicide. I'll give credit to the Rain Gods; they made it happen yesterday. Woohoo!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:05 AM

I had a couple of shelving units at work that were no longer being used. Yesterday I took them apart and transported them home, where I reassembled them in our garage, where they were sorely needed. Total work time was about 20 minutes.

My gf is acting like I brought peace to the middle east.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:13 AM

One by one the under cabinet LED lights were burning out, since it was virtually impossible to find local replacements I eventually forgot about them completely. Until I went to clean the undercabinets and discovered a horror show of splatters and gunk covering them and rediscovered the light fixtures. How much of a pita was it gonna be taking out the old bulbs to find replacements via the internet? no problem at all, and found the right bulbs in a jiffy at 1000bulbs. They shipped they came, I replaced them and reinstalled the now clean and shiny fixtures back under th clean undercabs and viola let there be light again! Victory dance in the kitchen!
Old 02-08-2020, 12:46 PM

I survived the flu.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:52 PM

Akiko has finally consented to freely share "her" toys (AKA all objects that a dog might play with) with her new brother, Yoshi. The two of them now play with each other until they are exhausted.

(I will post pictures when I can - right now Flickr is mocking me for trying to upload new photos.)
Old 02-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Finally found the right converter to hook a garden hose to the overflow valve on our boiler! Emergency release now flows in a hose to the sink, instead of filling a bucket that needs to be emptied by hand.

Gravity and water flow - the miracle of physics !
Old 02-08-2020, 04:24 PM

Happen to come into possession of a bunch of iPod Nanos (2nd gen). A few were easy to reset/cleanup and get going again.

Today I did the first tough one. Cannibalized a 2GB one for parts and got a 4GB one going. Might do another one later today. (That will require soldering.)

Of course, once I bring a dead device back to life it's time to imitate this sane doctor.

This sort of stuff is what I do for fun.

(I'm going to be fixing an 8GB model at some point. It's black. The only color that model came in initially. Who knew Jobs was a fan of Henry Ford?)
Old 02-08-2020, 05:05 PM

I didnít squeal like a pig during my prostate biopsy. But now I have tinnitus that sounds like banjos....
Old 02-09-2020, 01:33 AM

After weeks of research, I finally decided what my next car will be. It's the Subaru Crosstrek, in THAT COLOR! I'll probably be getting it this spring, and for the first time in my life I'll be paying CASH! W00T!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
After weeks of research, I finally decided what my next car will be. It's the Subaru Crosstrek, in THAT COLOR! I'll probably be getting it this spring, and for the first time in my life I'll be paying CASH! W00T!
Nice. We will be in the market for new cars soon. Iíve been very happy with my Subaru Outback so we will probably get another one and then maybe a dual cab tray back ute so we can throw the mountain bikes on the back easily.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:00 AM

I got out of a speeding ticket by being cooperative and asking for just a warning.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I got out of a speeding ticket by being cooperative and asking for just a warning.
You can hardly call that a mundane victory. For you, resisting the urge to come out with a smartass one-liner is on a par with Iwo Jima.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

My wife has been away all week, caring for her mother, who has had some health issues. They are on a plane heading here right now. So I spent most of yesterday cleaning the whole house, vaccuuming all three floors, installing a grab rail in the guest bathroom, straightening up, hanging a couple of pictures she wanted me to put up, etc. This morning I did the last few touches, cleaning the shower, putting out the trash, running the dishwasher.

Just to be clear, these are not tasks she usually does, that I'm virtue-signalling by doing once in a blue moon. She has a stressful job, works long hours, and makes the lion's share of our family income. I do nearly all the house cleaning all the time, but usually spread out the tasks in a monthly rotation, a few each weekend. Yesterday I did almost everything, substantially more than the regular weekend routine, so that the house will extra nice for my wife and MIL on their return.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:05 PM

We just had a power outage due to a wind storm. My wife uses a C-PAP machine and this was a big problem for us. (We have gas logs and a gas water heater, so we had hot water and heat in the house.) I had a spare car battery sitting around and found that it would hold a decent charge. Once our power came back on (after 48+ hours), I ordered a $30 inverter from Amazon. I got it today and tried it out for the C-PAP. It works perfectly! I ran it for a few hours and estimate that it will run the C-PAP for at least three 8-hour periods. Whooo-hooo! Now I just have to remember to keep the battery on a trickle charger.

Last edited by ZonexandScout; 02-09-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I would name that car Punkin. Do you name your cars, and if so, what will you call this one?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Oh. Yay! New orange car on the road!! The Orange Menace welcomes your new Crosstrek! Beep beep!! See you on the road!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-09-2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: SOM
Old 02-10-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
You can hardly call that a mundane victory. For you, resisting the urge to come out with a smartass one-liner is on a par with Iwo Jima.
Always nice to meet a fan of my work.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Oh. Yay! New orange car on the road!! The Orange Menace welcomes your new Crosstrek! Beep beep!! See you on the road!
I just bought one of those a few months ago. I am liking it quite a lot. In that orange color too. I can always find it in the parking lot.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
We just had a power outage due to a wind storm. My wife uses a C-PAP machine and this was a big problem for us. (We have gas logs and a gas water heater, so we had hot water and heat in the house.) I had a spare car battery sitting around and found that it would hold a decent charge. Once our power came back on (after 48+ hours), I ordered a $30 inverter from Amazon. I got it today and tried it out for the C-PAP. It works perfectly! I ran it for a few hours and estimate that it will run the C-PAP for at least three 8-hour periods. Whooo-hooo! Now I just have to remember to keep the battery on a trickle charger.
Very cool. Would you mind sharing a bit more about how this works? Does the inverter keep the battery charged, or allow you to run the CPAP from the battery, or both?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:27 AM

Continuing to play with the iPod Nanos. Got the "no power, for parts only" black 8G one going by just cleaning and resetting a connector. Up to 6 out of 10 fully working ones plus one partial one. Plan on getting 7 fully working ones out of this batch.

But the real victory: The o-ring holding the stem that turns the paddle in the bread machine went south a couple months ago. I ran out of old replacement o-rings and have been trying some others. The problem is that forcing the stem+o-ring in is difficult to do and causes damage so the new one breaks down very quickly.

Had an idea at 3AM night before last: Cut a straw, slip it over the stem, put o-ring on (the straw holds it in place), push into opening, remove straw. Turns out I had to make a slit in the straw to allow it to fit but that also made it easier to remove. A little bit of olive oil and voila, it worked. Went on easily, turns well.

Imagine that, something you think of at 3AM actually worked!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:49 AM

A couple:

After owning the house for over a year, I finally put the wire rack shelves in the hall closet. It's the attic access so I had to keep the shelves out until after the insulation was installed. By the time that was done, I was used to not using the closet. But now my house is a little neater.

Passing the little free library that's just been placed in front of the downtown old folks home, I saw it had a bunch of Chick Tracts in it. I removed them before they poisoned anyone's mind.

Lastly, with next weeks paycheck, I will have enough saved up to select a new home improvement!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:08 AM

Tuesday morning (yesterday) I noticed a big branch had fallen from the white pine next to our barn. It was a big branch, but it looked like it did not fall very far and the barn roof looked fine.

I got home from work at 3 pm, got out an extension ladder and chainsaw, and managed somehow to safely get the limb off the barn roof. I cut it into manageable sections and hauled the wood to our current burn pile. I felt I'd really accomplished something.

Last night when my gf got home from work I told (bragged) to her about what I'd done. Turns out the limb had fallen four days before I'd noticed it and the tree guy had already been called. He's there now, taking the entire white pine as well as three other problematic trees. The job was prepaid, so my three hours of work didn't even save us a penny.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:44 AM

I had my annual physical today. My weight was one pound less than it was on my home scale!! Yee Haw! My blood pressure was fantastic and I didn't have to fight with the doc to get the prescription for my estrogen pills renewed. She said I still have at least another year that I can take them. Yee Haw!

Another Crosstrek owner here! I have a 2017 in Desert Khaki. I LOVE it. It's the perfect car for me. Enjoy!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
Very cool. Would you mind sharing a bit more about how this works? Does the inverter keep the battery charged, or allow you to run the CPAP from the battery, or both?
Well, they call it an inverter, but it's really just a 12 VDC to 24 VDC power supply. The 12 VDC side has a cigarette lighter plug and the other side has a coaxial connector to power the CPAP. She has a ResMed Airsense 10 (I think that's right) and I found the unit on Amazon. I bought a cigarette lighter socket with ring connectors ($9) and screwed it to the terminals. I happened to already have a little 2-amp battery charger and I just keep it charging the battery in the utility room. The battery has a handle and weighs about 25 pounds. I think you can get smaller, lighter Li-ion batteries that will do the same thing.

The power adapter claims that it may draw as much as 12 amps from the source, but it doesn't seem to draw anywhere near that much. In any case, I got the lighter socket with a 15 amp in-line fuse.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:23 PM

I finally asked my doc to prescribe an anti-depressant, and started taking that.

[John Astin]I'm feeling much better now.[/John Astin]
Old 02-12-2020, 03:15 PM

I was having brake light issues on my truck and figured out the turn signal/wipers/hazards/bright lights multi switch was bad.

Ordered the new part Monday, delivered Tuesday, and I had it installed in under 30 minutes. Needing to pull the steering wheel was the hardest part, and that was easy (truck old enough for no airbag, which would have made me reconsider doing it myself). Oh, and disconnecting 29 year old plastic electrical harnesses in freezing weather is delicate work.

Last edited by Dag Otto; 02-12-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
Nice. We will be in the market for new cars soon. Iíve been very happy with my Subaru Outback so we will probably get another one and then maybe a dual cab tray back ute so we can throw the mountain bikes on the back easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I just bought one of those a few months ago. I am liking it quite a lot. In that orange color too. I can always find it in the parking lot.
Guys you're killing me with the Subaru love - It's dividing my household, Outback vs Mazda CX-5

Answer me this, is it fun to drive?

COngrats love the Orange that's boldness.

Last edited by chela; 02-12-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Guys you're killing me with the Subaru love - It's dividing my household, Outback vs Mazda CX-5

Not really. I mean, it's not bad or anything, it's just normal. Mine's a diesel so it sounds a bit like a truck when it idles, it also gets pretty good fuel economy for a big car (35 mpg). It has fairly high suspension for a wagon so I have no problems with driving off piste. It hasn't been perfect, it had an issue with a turbo hose, and the airbags were subject to a recall, but even with the benefit of hindsight, it was the right car for us.

The outback is a bigger car than the CX-5. Cargo capacity is 1800 litres vs 1355 with the seats folded down. With the seats up the capacity is 512 vs 455 litres which suggests to me that there is a lot more leg room for the rear passengers in the Outback.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:55 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Tuesday morning (yesterday) I noticed a big branch had fallen from the white pine next to our barn. It was a big branch, but it looked like it did not fall very far and the barn roof looked fine.

I got home from work at 3 pm, got out an extension ladder and chainsaw, and managed somehow to safely get the limb off the barn roof. I cut it into manageable sections and hauled the wood to our current burn pile. I felt I'd really accomplished something.

Last night when my gf got home from work I told (bragged) to her about what I'd done. Turns out the limb had fallen four days before I'd noticed it and the tree guy had already been called. He's there now, taking the entire white pine as well as three other problematic trees. The job was prepaid, so my three hours of work didn't even save us a penny.
That sounds like a mundane Pyrrhic victory.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

This might be mundane, but I feel like it's a pretty major life accomplishment and one I'll remember for years.

My first grader told us over dinner that she'd learned in school about cheetahs: "They're the fastest land animals!"

I had something I wanted to tell her, but I had to think about how to say it. Finally, as we were cleaning up the kitchen, I spoke up.

"Honey, you mentioned how cheetahs are the fastest land animal. But I heard a really interesting radio story, about how some scientists were testing that, and it's not true. They were racing cheetahs against different dog breeds, and cheetahs were always faster, until they raced them against dachshunds."

"What?" my older daughter asked, astonished.

"You know, those little weiner dogs, with the tiny legs? Every single time, they were faster than the cheetahs! The scientists at first thought something was going on, like maybe the dachshunds were finding a shortcut on the track or something, but they realized that was ridiculous, because"

and here I paused thoughtfully,

"Weiners never cheat.

"And cheetahs never win."
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

I restrung my Fender strat and only poked one hole in a finger. Win!
Old 02-13-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:

COngrats love the Orange that's boldness.
We just bought a CX-5. Mrs R loves it; it's quiet and powerful and roomy and that beautiful candy-apple red color. If I were to describe the driving experience in one word, that word would be "serene". However, we're still figuring out all the electronics.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

For "fun to drive" from those makes, your choices are BRZ or MX-5.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I did a GIS for "mundane Pyrrhic victory" and yes, that's it!!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Off-topic - in school I called a battle that was won using a lot of fire a Pyrrhic victory... my teacher told me to go look up the term.

I still think it should involve fire