Old 02-08-2020, 12:57 AM

What's the most obvious lie you've ever believed past childhood?

I believed in the "you can taste sweet things on your balls" myth for the better part of a year.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:36 AM

What?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:38 AM

I was gonna say something about thunder, I dunno, maybe what causes lightning ... totally lost my train of thought by the time I got to the end of the O.P.

Taste what in the where now?
Old 02-08-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
I was gonna say something about thunder, I dunno, maybe what causes lightning ... totally lost my train of thought by the time I got to the end of the O.P.

Taste what in the where now?
There's a popular fact meme that says you can taste soy sauce poured on your testicles because apparently a 2013 study showed your testicles are home to taste receptors. The problem here being taste receptors don't equal taste buds.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylEsto View Post
I believed in the "you can taste sweet things on your balls" myth for the better part of a year.
I'd hate to know what you believed for the worse part of that year.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I was going to post something about American exceptionalism, but now I'm pretty much just adrift...
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 AM

Why did the OP persist in this belief for so long? For the curious, isn’t this the kinda thing that lends itself to a fairly quick determination?
Old 02-08-2020, 09:42 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Gives new meaning to the term dipping sauce.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Why did the OP persist in this belief for so long? For the curious, isnít this the kinda thing that lends itself to a fairly quick determination?
Only for half the population. The rest of us have to take someone else's word for it
Old 02-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

For a long time I persisted in the belief that strength and weight limits on bridges was tested by driving bigger and bigger trucks over your balls.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
For a long time I persisted in the belief that strength and weight limits on bridges was tested by driving bigger and bigger trucks over your balls.
OMG, youíre killing me.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:55 AM

When I was in middle school, my mom told me that you could get pregnant without having sex. Something about how if bodily fluids are involved and your vagina is exposed, the fluids can find their way into your vagina and impregnate you. Since I never received any sex education (only abstinence education), it took me a while to be disabused of this notion.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:22 AM

Hmm. OP joined in 2017. One post then, and his second post, the OP.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:27 AM

Elaine was right. I don't know how you guys put up with those things.

Dennis
Old 02-08-2020, 11:52 AM

I was going to say the Holy Trinity, but that seems sort of inappropriate for this thread.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I'm pretty sure I believed the old "you eat ten spiders a year in your sleep" chestnut at some point.

There are a lot of those. Perfectly smart people think that hair and fingernails grow after people die, or that humans only use ten percent of their brains, or that baby birds will be abandoned if you so much as lightly touch one, or that Einstein failed math. All these statements are false, but commonly believed, in part because there's rarely a compelling reason to know better.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I sharted once. I could smell it, not taste it.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
When I was in middle school, my mom told me that you could get pregnant without having sex. Something about how if bodily fluids are involved and your vagina is exposed, the fluids can find their way into your vagina and impregnate you. Since I never received any sex education (only abstinence education), it took me a while to be disabused of this notion.
This one's definitely a lie? I'd swear I've read of this in reputable medical sources. Obviously any way semen can get into the vagina could possibly lead to pregnancy. Artificial insemination, for example.

It might be that externally exposing semen to a vagina is an unlikely cause of pregnancy. And it might be that, in the majority of cases where somebody claims this happened to them, there actually was sex. But, is it actually a lie?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
More on this at
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...t-penetration/

In part,
"Itís possible for you to get pregnant without having sexual intercourse if, for example:

sperm get into your vagina Ė for example, if you or your partner have semen or pre-ejaculate on your fingers and touch your vagina
your partner ejaculates near your vagina
your partnerís erect penis comes into contact with your body near your vagina
The risk of getting pregnant in this way is very low because sperm can only live for a short time outside of the body. However, if youíre not planning a pregnancy, itís important to know that itís possible to get pregnant in this way."

Since this is the UK government National Health Service, I'd be inclined to trust it. Am I naive?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'm pretty sure I believed the old "you eat ten spiders a year in your sleep" chestnut at some point.
. . ..
Don't let these beliefs hold you back.
Swallow as many spiders as you want. Nobody is stopping you but yourself.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:16 PM

"Free beer tomorrow".

This wasn't even meant to deceive; just a throwaway joke on my regular bar's LCD. Yet I dragged my new girlfriend there the next day just to see the same display. Hormones, I guess.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

"Oh, you don't want any of that pecan pie. It tastes yucky."

Said by several of my aunts, usually while holding a plate containing a slice of pecan pie.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:23 PM

For a very long time I believed in the existence of pineapple trees.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Don't let these beliefs hold you back.
Swallow as many spiders as you want. Nobody is stopping you but yourself.
swallowing may also prevent pregnancy.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
Since this is the UK government National Health Service, I'd be inclined to trust it. Am I naive?
No, you're not naive. This one is definitely true. Just ask my oldest sister, born six months after my parents were married.

Last edited by bobkitty; 02-08-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:02 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
No, you're not naive. This one is definitely true. Just ask my oldest sister, born six months after my parents were married.
Premature and 8 lbs.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
I was going to post something about American exceptionalism, but now I'm pretty much just adrift...
Exactly what I was going to post. With hindsight I'd say the reality dawned on me when I was about 30 (1980). No particular trigger- I just realized what silly bullshit the "greatest nation on earth" schtick was.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 02-08-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
More on this at
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...t-penetration/

In part,
"Itís possible for you to get pregnant without having sexual intercourse if, for example:

sperm get into your vagina Ė for example, if you or your partner have semen or pre-ejaculate on your fingers and touch your vagina
your partnerís erect penis comes into contact with your body near your vagina
The risk of getting pregnant in this way is very low because sperm can only live for a short time outside of the body. However, if youíre not planning a pregnancy, itís important to know that itís possible to get pregnant in this way."

I would think it's possible, the same way it's possible for me to win the lottery twice. I'm sure somebody out there has done it, but it will never be me and I will never know them.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:41 PM

"Beatniks are cool."
"Poetry is cool."
"Poverty is cool."
"Normalcy is uncool."
Old 02-08-2020, 02:44 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirviii View Post
I would think it's possible, the same way it's possible for me to win the lottery twice. I'm sure somebody out there has done it, but it will never be me and I will never know them.
Pretty much this. Theoretically possible but highly unlikely unless a significant amount of semen is introduced into the vagina. It takes more than one sperm to fertilize an ovum, it takes a team to wear down the ova's cell wall to let one sperm successfully enter. And since most sperm will be desperately trying to penetrate things that are NOT the ovum, success depends on large numbers.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Premature and 8 lbs.
It's like you've met my mom!
Old 02-08-2020, 05:37 PM

Not so much a lie but an assumption on my part. It was not all that long ago that I learned that ponies were not young horses.

mmm
Old 02-08-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Not so much a lie but an assumption on my part. It was not all that long ago that I learned that ponies were not young horses.

mmm
Almost everyone not a horse person seems to think that, so don't feel alone. Some of it is not knowing the nomenclature (foals are young horses, ponies are short horses), some of it is lack of observation (they look entirely different) due to lack of interest.

I know nothing about vast areas of human endeavor (football? cars?) but I can't remember a time I didn't know what ponies were.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:06 PM

"Too much sex is a bad thing, you will get desensitized to it"
Old 02-08-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
With or without soy sauce?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 PM

I was still somewhat a kid at the time but I believed that the first time you are stung by a bee, you'll be OK, but it will cause you to be potentially fatally allergic to all subsequent bee stings for the rest of your life. I thought that was how the anaphylatic shock stories worked.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
If semen gets on the skin of the perineal area, it can indeed lead to pregnancy.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk fusion View Post
"Free beer tomorrow".

This wasn't even meant to deceive; just a throwaway joke on my regular bar's LCD. Yet I dragged my new girlfriend there the next day just to see the same display. Hormones, I guess.
Was FREE BEER the name of the house band?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:23 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
If semen gets on the skin of the perineal area, it can indeed lead to pregnancy.
Got a cite for that claim?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
"Oh, you don't want any of that pecan pie. It tastes yucky."

Said by several of my aunts, usually while holding a plate containing a slice of pecan pie.
"Is it sweet though? Here (zzzzzzzzip) let me have a taste..."
Old 02-08-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
There's a popular fact meme that says you can taste soy sauce poured on your testicles because apparently a 2013 study showed your testicles are home to taste receptors. The problem here being taste receptors don't equal taste buds.
It's perfectly true that you can taste soy sauce poured on your balls.

You just have to be very flexible.
ďIt may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.Ē
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 02-08-2020, 11:50 PM

That the government did not lie.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:20 AM

Regarding another 'tasting' myth:

In high school, we did the experiment of touching various flavoured cotton tips to parts of the tongue, to highlight how the tastebuds are 'grouped'. You probably did the same thing - you are supposed to taste 'sweet' things near the front of the tongue, bitter at the sides etc.

I couldn't get it to work - it just tasted almost the same all over, and I could taste everything everywhere. I thought my tongue was broken. I worried about this for years, and when (as a young man) I tried my first beers, I didn't like them - obviously because of my broken tongue (because all my mates loved beer, didn't they?). But that must be the problem, because I was taught in school that my tongue was abnormal.

Eventually I worked out that if I disagreed with 'accepted wisdom' or doctrine, I should investigate further. I may be mistaken or misled. Or maybe the original information I was given was wrong, or incomplete, or misinterpreted. Science is not a thing - it's a method.

I was rather disconcerted to find out the tongue map had basically been disproved in the 1930s.

Last edited by Wallaby; 02-09-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:00 AM

I'm with Rocketeer.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:12 AM

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
"Anyone can learn to win at blackjack."
"Don't trust anyone over thirty."
"Pennies are worth saving."
"Details don't matter."
Old 02-09-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
My mother’s aunt got married and moved to Las Vegas with her husband in the 1920, when travel from northern Utah was more difficult.

They had a honeymoon baby at the proper nine months but did t come back for a visit for a couple of years.

Long story short, it wasn’t until her cousin had grown up and had difficulty obtaining his birth certificate that he found out his mother had been lying about his birthday by a couple of months.

He had an unfortunately easily death (choked on some candy in bed) and his widow put his real birthday on the tombstone. That caused a rift between the two that never was healed.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:27 AM

I thought Indians from India were displaced American Indian for far too long. My brother told me that lie.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:51 AM

As a child, Sunday evenings were reserved for viewing The Wonderful World of Disney on the television before bedtime. My brothers were not interested when it was a wildlife show, so I remember watching one such show with my mom that was focused on the flora and fauna of the arctic. It was a very interesting show, and I accepted everything that was shown as truth, because, you know, Disney wouldn't lie, right?

A year or two ago I was talking with my daughter, the wildlife savant of the family, and when the topic of lemmings came up and I told her that lemmings were such interesting creatures that controlled their population thusly: when there were too many lemmings to be able to survive on the meager foodstuffs available on the tundra, they would gather and leap into the water to drown, leaving enough lemmings to continue the colony.

After she stopped laughing hysterically she told me "Bullshit!" and we did some internet research, and I discovered that for the better part of my life I had completely believed that this was the truth. Disney lies, folks, Disney lies.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:45 AM

well, this isn't quite a lie, and it isn't from my childhood,but.....

for several years when I was in college I kept an image in my mind that if I ever took a trip to the fjords of Norway, I would actually see parrots with beautiful blue plumage.

(yes, folks, Monty Python destroyed my mind.)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk fusion View Post
"Free beer tomorrow".

A friend of mine has an ancient, yellowed, cardboard sign that says, "FREE BEER TOMORROW" hanging over his bar. He occasionally has someone who sees the sign on a Friday night and then returns Saturday night for the free beer.

Quote:
How near, would Newark count?