Old 02-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Suspended

I'm not sure how "obvious" this is. But for several years, I believed the breathless hype from political ads, fund-raising letters, etc. that "This is the most important election ever!"

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that life goes on--and in most cases, goes on just fine--even if your side loses the election. You probably won't like everything that happens, but that's true of many circumstances, not just politics.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I thought Indians from India were displaced American Indian for far too long. My brother told me that lie.
Your post reminds me of this supposed tweet I saw online last week.

"Nate of Americans need to move back to India."

Don't know if it's real or not.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I'm not sure how "obvious" this is. But for several years, I believed the breathless hype from political ads, fund-raising letters, etc. that "This is the most important election ever!"

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that life goes on--and in most cases, goes on just fine--even if your side loses the election. You probably won't like everything that happens, but that's true of many circumstances, not just politics.
This insight comes with age. I remember how excited I was when I first participated in an election when I was 19. Now, with more than 30 major elections under my belt, I'm much more relaxed and conscious of the impact my vote really has. But that doesn't prevent me from trying, though my choices rarely win...
Old 02-09-2020, 08:48 PM

"Caucasians are from Caucasia."
"The U.S. is not a police state."
"Meditation reveals inner truths."
"Money isn't everything."
Old 02-09-2020, 10:03 PM

I was nearly 30 before Civil Rights became law.. And I never once wondered if black childres said "with liberty and justice for all" when they were forced in lock step by their handlers to recite the mumbo-jumbo before the flag.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't call this a "lie" in the strictest sense, since I kind of got there on my own rather than having it directly taught to me. But I was well into my teens before I understood that Jesus of Nazareth was put to death due to a dispute with his own people over their law. I'd always thought that the Romans put him to death for refusing to worship Saturn and whatnot.

As for "lies," I didn't fully disabuse myself of the fullness of what I was taught about American history until I was in my 30s. Pretty much the entire Springfield Public Schools District 186 history and social studies curricula were built on lies.

The Founding Fathers were flawed men who owned slaves, had less-than-evolved notions about the roles of women and the poor in governance and voting, and believed (some did, anyway) that the God of Christianity gave them the right, nay the solemn duty, to exploit and murder the Natives.

The Civil War was about many things, and yes, slavery was at the heart of the matter. But the war wasn't strictly about slavery.

Abraham Lincoln didn't do what he did from a place of loving the Black Man and believing that going to war to free them was the moral and right thing to do. It was considerably more nuanced than that.

....and so on and so forth.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
He had an unfortunately easily death (choked on some candy in bed)
I guess that would qualify as "an unfortunately easily death."
Quote:
and his widow put his real birthday on the tombstone. That caused a rift between the two that never was healed.
He came back to haunt her a lot, did he?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
This insight comes with age.
It also comes with being in a position where the bad shit resulting from the outcome of an election doesn't fall on you personally, but rather on other people who you have little if any connection with, beyond your shared humanity.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 AM

When I was young there was an insurance company called Wimpey. I guess we must have been insured with them, because otherwise there would be no reason for my father to very solemnly tell me that they were so named for the acronym We Insure Many People Each Year. Nowadays, I suspect not. At least, if you google that in quotes you get zero hits. Hmmm.

And: I have no idea how I "knew" this - it's more a misapprehension, or possibly an early urban myth, than a lie - but I was absolutely certain that (1) you can be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a bike, boat, horse etc (true); and that (2) if you are prosecuted for one of these offenses, your driving licence will be endorsed (absolute bollocks). This is something I was certain of since before my brother had that unfortunate..... well, let's just skip that, but I was certain of it until late last year when, challenged, I bothered to check. That's a period of about forty years, minimum.

Is that the record?

j
Old 02-10-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
It's perfectly true that you can taste soy sauce poured on your balls.

You just have to be very flexible.
My husband can do that.

I was well into my 20s before I realized that females peed through a separate opening, rather than their vaginas. And years later, I learned that there were actual women who didn't know that.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwik View Post

After she stopped laughing hysterically she told me "Bullshit!" and we did some internet research, and I discovered that for the better part of my life I had completely believed that this was the truth. Disney lies, folks, Disney lies.
It did make for some amusing Pearls Before Swine comics.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
It takes more than one sperm to fertilize an ovum, it takes a team to wear down the ova's cell wall to let one sperm successfully enter.
I did not know that...
[/Carson]
Old 02-10-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
More on this at
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...t-penetration/

In part,
"It’s possible for you to get pregnant without having sexual intercourse if, for example:

sperm get into your vagina – for example, if you or your partner have semen or pre-ejaculate on your fingers and touch your vagina
your partner ejaculates near your vagina
your partner’s erect penis comes into contact with your body near your vagina
The risk of getting pregnant in this way is very low because sperm can only live for a short time outside of the body. However, if you’re not planning a pregnancy, it’s important to know that it’s possible to get pregnant in this way."

Since this is the UK government National Health Service, I'd be inclined to trust it. Am I naive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
If semen gets on the skin of the perineal area, it can indeed lead to pregnancy.
Well, I re-learned something today. Serves me right for trusting my friends in college over my mom. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Well, I re-learned something today. Serves me right for trusting my friends in college over my mom. Thanks!
Did you see that a real doctor had asked for a cite for the latter claim?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 PM

I was well into my 20s, maybe even later when I learned that shaving did not make hair grow back faster or thicker. Like many other disproved lies, it comes from really pondering the question of HOW.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I believed glass was a semi-solid fluid until distressingly late in life.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:58 PM

People who believe in God are too stupid to know any better.

If you present proven facts you can change people's minds.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:26 PM

See when you are in the place half-way between sleep and awake? That's when the things under your bed are most active. Don't let your feet hang over the side!
Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 AM

When my grandfather was a boy - this would've been in the late 1800s - he attended a family gathering. His father and uncles were tending some grape vines. My grandfather announced that he wanted to help. The men told him that tending grape vines was extremely dangerous, delicate work that simply could not be done until much later in life.

My grandfather, in his late 30s, bought his first house... and, being an anxious sort of man to begin with, was made quite additionally anxious by the fact that the house came with Grape Vines in the back yard. Oh, no.. He'd never been given the official Now You Are A Man, Here Is How To Tend To Grape Vines information. What if he became injured or ill?

So, he went along to the public library and read a book about tending to Grape Vines.

And, then, it dawned on him for the first time that the men all those years past had just wanted to gossip among themselves without a small boy listening - and they had told a really bold lie to get him to go away... and he'd believed it for 30 years.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Pretty much this. Theoretically possible but highly unlikely unless a significant amount of semen is introduced into the vagina. It takes more than one sperm to fertilize an ovum, it takes a team to wear down the ova's cell wall to let one sperm successfully enter. And since most sperm will be desperately trying to penetrate things that are NOT the ovum, success depends on large numbers.
So what you're saying is, it does take a village. (Seriously though, I never knew that. Does that mean that there's an added chance of pregnancy in situations with multiple partners, because more sperm may team up, so to speak? Will a single sperm eventually succeed in penetrating the ova's cell wall, or will it exhaust its resources before?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I believed glass was a semi-solid fluid until distressingly late in life.
That's one I've also promulgated, and later on, had to disabuse my thesis advisor, a highly skilled and knowledgeable physicist, of.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post

And: I have no idea how I "knew" this - it's more a misapprehension, or possibly an early urban myth, than a lie - but I was absolutely certain that (1) you can be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a bike, boat, horse etc (true); and that (2) if you are prosecuted for one of these offenses, your driving licence will be endorsed (absolute bollocks). This is something I was certain of since before my brother had that unfortunate..... well, let's just skip that, but I was certain of it until late last year when, challenged, I bothered to check. That's a period of about forty years, minimum.

Is that the record?

j
It's a little hard to parse, but you think you can't be prosecuted for being drunk on a bike? Or in driving a boat? Prosecuted may not be the right word but you can indeed be cited, at least in my state (Colorado).

I don't know what you mean by saying your driving license could be endorsed but if it means points off your auto driver's license for the above infractions, well, I once had a cop tell me they COULD take points off. Of course cops can lie to you, and it hardly seems fair as you don't need a driver's license to ride a bike. But even if it wasn't true then, it's true now, you can get a DUI or drunk biking. I don't know if anyone has gotten one though.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:38 AM

"I do."
Old 02-11-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
When my grandfather was a boy - this would've been in the late 1800s - he attended a family gathering. His father and uncles were tending some grape vines. My grandfather announced that he wanted to help. The men told him that tending grape vines was extremely dangerous, delicate work that simply could not be done until much later in life.

My grandfather, in his late 30s, bought his first house... and, being an anxious sort of man to begin with, was made quite additionally anxious by the fact that the house came with Grape Vines in the back yard. Oh, no.. He'd never been given the official Now You Are A Man, Here Is How To Tend To Grape Vines information. What if he became injured or ill?

So, he went along to the public library and read a book about tending to Grape Vines.

And, then, it dawned on him for the first time that the men all those years past had just wanted to gossip among themselves without a small boy listening - and they had told a really bold lie to get him to go away... and he'd believed it for 30 years.
And that's when he let his guard down, and the grapevine encircled his neck, squeezing slowly at first. . .
Old 02-11-2020, 08:53 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
And that's when he let his guard down, and the grapevine encircled his neck, squeezing slowly at first. . .
Old 02-11-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
A round of applause for the winner of the greatest username/post combo of all time

Last edited by xizor; 02-11-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:55 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwik View Post
A year or two ago I was talking with my daughter, the wildlife savant of the family, and when the topic of lemmings came up and I told her that lemmings were such interesting creatures that controlled their population thusly: when there were too many lemmings to be able to survive on the meager foodstuffs available on the tundra, they would gather and leap into the water to drown, leaving enough lemmings to continue the colony.

After she stopped laughing hysterically she told me "Bullshit!" and we did some internet research, and I discovered that for the better part of my life I had completely believed that this was the truth. Disney lies, folks, Disney lies.
Disney not only lied, they completely fabricated the footage. The scenes were filmed near Calgary, where there was a suitable cliff over a river (not the Arctic Ocean). They had to import the lemmings, which don't occur anywhere near there. They used a turntable to film the "migration" and make it look like there were many more lemmings than they actually had. And then they pushed or flung the lemmings over the cliff into the water, to make it look like they were jumping.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I believed the Caucasian one for years. I believed the one about glass being a fluid for years.
I'm pretty sure I read here on the SDMB that the myth of vampires and werewolves was loosely based on an actual disease. Then I read an article here a few years later that this wasn't true. Now I'm just confused.
I don't know how long I believed George Washington never did anything wrong.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
It's a little hard to parse, but you think you can't be prosecuted for being drunk on a bike? Or in driving a boat? Prosecuted may not be the right word but you can indeed be cited, at least in my state (Colorado).....
Hi Suze

Nope, I don't think that - it's a two-parter, and I noted that part (1) was true, thus:

Quote:
(1) you can be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a bike, boat, horse etc (true);
Part 2 was false - in the UK, at least - so this is interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
......I don't know what you mean by saying your driving license could be endorsed but if it means points off your auto driver's license for the above infractions, well, I once had a cop tell me they COULD take points off. Of course cops can lie to you.....
Where urban myths start, maybe?

j
Old 02-11-2020, 03:20 PM

In Melbourne, no demerit points apply to bicycle/horse rider traffic offenses. Unless you use your drivers license for ID, and the officer fills in form incorrectly. Same, I've heard, in other places. If it's just a different number on the same form, an officer may not even correctly remember the numbers for a bicycle offense. If it's just a note in details section, the officer may neglect to note that it's a bicycle offense, or the back office may not interpret in correctly.

Probably the more often bicycle citations are issued, the less likely that mistakes are made.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:21 PM

I believed in the Christian God and the divinity of Jesus until I reached my early 20s.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
When I was in middle school, my mom told me that you could get pregnant without having sex. Something about how if bodily fluids are involved and your vagina is exposed, the fluids can find their way into your vagina and impregnate you. Since I never received any sex education (only abstinence education), it took me a while to be disabused of this notion.
This makes me question something I heard many years ago, that if you cum in a woman's mouth and you kiss her afterwards, you can accidentally impregnate her if you, then, give her head. Now that I think about it, this was probably started by a dude who really did not want to kiss his lady's mouth after a blowy.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer72 View Post
I sharted once. I could smell it, not taste it.
Could you smell it with your balls?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'm pretty sure I believed the old "you eat ten spiders a year in your sleep" chestnut at some point.

There are a lot of those. Perfectly smart people think that hair and fingernails grow after people die, or that humans only use ten percent of their brains, or that baby birds will be abandoned if you so much as lightly touch one, or that Einstein failed math. All these statements are false, but commonly believed, in part because there's rarely a compelling reason to know better.
Now I can hear the sound of my whole world crashing all around me...with my balls.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Disney not only lied, they completely fabricated the footage. The scenes were filmed near Calgary, where there was a suitable cliff over a river (not the Arctic Ocean). They had to import the lemmings, which don't occur anywhere near there. They used a turntable to film the "migration" and make it look like there were many more lemmings than they actually had. And then they pushed or flung the lemmings over the cliff into the water, to make it look like they were jumping.
Did the myth of the suicidal lemmings predate the film, though? If so, where did it come from? If not, well, why? What was the pitch meeting like that ended with '...and then we throw all the little furry bastards off a cliff, and film it. Step three, profit!'?

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 02-11-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:58 PM

1 - "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

2 - "your cheque is in the mail"

3 - a lie I got away with for some years in my 20's.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM

A grade school teacher told us that AD meant "after death," so between BC and AD there were 33 years not accounted for on any calendar. I probably believed that for 10-12 years.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:41 PM

Here's a post for two threads. When I was a kid my dad told me that the Japanese built a city called Usa, so that they could label stuff produced there as Made In USA. As the link indicates, not true (though in this case I suspect my father may have believed it himself.)

j
Old 02-11-2020, 05:54 PM
I was curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Did you see that a real doctor had asked for a cite for the latter claim?
I assume the request for a cite is for the claim that semen on the perineum can directly lead to impregnation, which is of course not possible. As the doctor already acknowledged, it is theoretically possible for semen that originated outside the vagina to make its way in there and cause pregnancy (e.g. trickling in there from the perineum), albeit unlikely. But I think it's a better sex education message to say "just because you came outside the vagina, doesn't mean it's impossible to get her pregnant" rather than "as long as you come outside the vagina, you're not very likely to get her pregnant", even though both are factually correct.

Last edited by Dead Cat; 02-11-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Did the myth of the suicidal lemmings predate the film, though? If so, where did it come from? If not, well, why? What was the pitch meeting like that ended with '...and then we throw all the little furry bastards off a cliff, and film it. Step three, profit!'?
Yes, all kinds of mythical explanations for their appearance and disappearance. Lemming populations boom and bust, leading to hoards of lemmings appearing suddenly (dropped from the sky?), getting into everything, and swimming randomly away from shore. Then, after a while, there are none. Like, none. They've all gone. Did they all walk out to sea?

Also, they are an arctic creature -- so they were almost mythical to begin with.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Don't let these beliefs hold you back.
Swallow as many spiders as you want. Nobody is stopping you but yourself.
One night while I lay in a sleeping bag, a spider crawled across my balls.

It tasted awful.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I assume the request for a cite is for the claim that semen on the perineum can directly lead to impregnation, which is of course not possible. As the doctor already acknowledged, it is theoretically possible for semen that originated outside the vagina to make its way in there and cause pregnancy (e.g. trickling in there from the perineum), albeit unlikely. But I think it's a better sex education message to say "just because you came outside the vagina, doesn't mean it's impossible to get her pregnant" rather than "as long as you come outside the vagina, you're not very likely to get her pregnant", even though both are factually correct.
The claim was
Quote:
If semen gets on the skin of the perineal area, it can indeed lead to pregnancy.
(my bolding) which is silly because there is nothing special about the skin. If you are going to provide good sex education then discussing it realistically is better rather than providing nonsense.

The pull out method has a very high failure rate from other factors, including men failing to pull out. That's what kids need to be told.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:36 AM

Balls to brain: "I taste something fishy here!"
Brain to balls: "Keep it up, we will eventually like it. Do NOT hurry!"
Old 02-12-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I believed the "blood turns blue after the oxygen is delivered; that's why veins look blue" myth way, way later than I should have. Like, my son who was in 4th grade corrected me saying "That's not what Mrs. Teacher said. She said that's a myth." So I looked it up. Oops.

"Oh yeah? Well my Mrs. Teacher Lady from back in the 1970s was wrong!"

I also believed ponies were juvenile horses until I read this thread.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 02-12-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:09 AM

If its burning its working
Old 02-13-2020, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
When my grandfather was a boy - this would've been in the late 1800s - he attended a family gathering. His father and uncles were tending some grape vines. My grandfather announced that he wanted to help. The men told him that tending grape vines was extremely dangerous, delicate work that simply could not be done until much later in life...And, then, it dawned on him for the first time that the men all those years past had just wanted to gossip among themselves without a small boy listening - and they had told a really bold lie to get him to go away... and he'd believed it for 30 years.
This reminds me so much of a post that I can't link to because I can't find it. Suffice to say, someone posted this exchange with her SO (paraphrased):

Her: Aw, this plant died.

Him: Wait, don't throw it out! Just pour in a lot of water.

Her: That won't work; it's too late.

Him: No, you can save a plant by watering it a lot. When I was in elementary school, we were growing flowers to give to our moms on Mother's Day, and I forgot to water mine, and the week before Mother's Day, it looked just like that. So the teacher told me to pour in some water, and the next day I came in and it was in full bloom. It grew overnight.

Her:.........................................................In however many years since then, you never figured out that the teacher replaced your dead flower with a live one?

Him:
Old 02-13-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
"Oh yeah? Well my Mrs. Teacher Lady from back in the 1970s was wrong!"
A very wise teacher once told us that much of what he was teaching would likely some day be proven wrong. He said school should be looked at as learning how to think, not what to think.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
I also believed ponies were juvenile horses until I read this thread.
This one is kind of iffy. Like millions of other examples in English, people use pony as a shorthand and most non-horse people understand the meaning. It’s more of a linguistic mistake than not understanding there are small horse breeds. I doubt if you were standing in front of an adult pony, you would think, ‘there’s a juvenile horse’.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:48 AM

"The beef in Jack in the Box all-beef tacos is actually soy"

"The meatballs in Subway subs are actually just bread"

In retrospect it seems like they would be setting themselves up for a massive lawsuit if a place called something meat when it was actually entirely non-meat.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
"The beef in Jack in the Box all-beef tacos is actually soy"

"The meatballs in Subway subs are actually just bread"

In retrospect it seems like they would be setting themselves up for a massive lawsuit if a place called something meat when it was actually entirely non-meat.
When I was a kid my dad told me Dairy Queen at some point was required to stop using “burger” to describe their high soy content patties. I think that was the origin of hunger buster.

This thread has made me question that.

Last edited by Lucas Jackson; 02-13-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:40 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
When I was a kid my dad told me Dairy Queen at some point was required to stop using “burger” to describe their high soy content patties. I think that was the origin of hunger buster.

This thread has made me question that.
There are an astonishing number of people who believe(d) that KFC changed it's name from Kentucky Fried Chicken because they stopped using chicken.