Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMysteryWriter View Post
Interestingly I'm doing a google search about people being kicked off planes, and most of the time it seems to be because the passenger was being genuinely disruptive or abusive.
Oh absolutely.

I've never been on a flight where someone was kicked off, or acting anywhere near outrageous enough to warrant getting kicked off. I have been on at least one flight where $$$ incentive was offered to encourage people to take a later flight. I've never taken it myself, as I'm usually trying to make a connection and can't afford to miss it. Sorta kinda related, I've also been given the option of checking my bag for free, since I was planning to take it on the plane with me, but they ran out of space and were offering to basically valet your bags for you. That was pretty nice.

The only time I've ever had a seat change was when I was moved from coach to sort of a priority/stretch seating area (not a first-class thing, but where people who paid more and had member cards generally sat). A family had booked late and had young kids, so of course they wanted to sit together. I agreed to the move, because hey, I get more space! I also got to watch as everyone around me used their membership cards to view free entertainment and get free snacks. I was skipped over

I totally get anxiety - I don't get it so bad when it comes to flying, probably because I've flown a decent amount, and many times by myself. I'm flying solo to North Pole this summer, and while there are some nervous twinges, I'm also excited as hell I tend to get more anxious over other things, and I know how much it can warp your thinking. It's okay to ask questions, but don't make assumptions where none are needed. Sure, there have been rude flight staff in the past. Yes, accidents have happened with animals. That doesn't mean either are likely to happen to you or your pets. Just take this trip one step at a time, and do what you have to to take care of yourself and stay as low-stress as possible.

You'll be alright
Old 02-13-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I was surprised by the earlier story shared about the person in first class getting kicked out of their seat for the amputee. I'd wrongly assumed paying for first class would prevent them from doing that. Luckily, someone "volunteered" so they didn't have to call the cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
No one was being kicked out of a first class seat. The airline was offering incentives to get someone to choose to swap, and someone accepted their offer.
I'm the one who told the story. It was as Telemark said: the airline (American Airlines) was offering a free roundtrip to anywhere out of their own pocket, plus an extra set of amenities (the free drinks and better snacks) to someone who was willing to switch. I know the details, because I was in 1st class, and offered to switch, but I was in the first row, and that didn't work-- they needed someone in one of the other rows to switch, because there is no under-the-seat-in-front-of-you space in the first row, and they were rigging something for her to prop up her upper leg, and needed that space, plus the eaxta inches of 1st class. Apparently she had booked the exit row aisle for the extra legroom, because she had to keep her stump elevated, but didn't realize that she wasn't allowed to sit there; you have to be physically able to open the doors, and assist other passengers, and she walked with crutches, and I believe was a very recent amputee, so probably was taking opioids.

The airline simply could have told her "Sorry," can't fly this trip; go book a 1st class seat on a later flight." Instead, they made it possible for her to stay on that flight, and probably made the person who switched pretty happy. I was flying 1st because it was a long flight, and I wanted to make sure that I had both my carry-ons with me, and for the free wifi-- also because it had been offered as a last-minute upgrade for just a few hundred dollars (the reason I was in the less-desirable front row). A lot of people fly 1st because they like being waited on and drinking a lot-- they don't care that much about bigger seats. Whoever switched was probably very happy swilling free scotch in a smaller seat. And, IIRC, they refunded the 1st class portion of his ticket, but I don't think they charged the woman who was bumped up extra.

So basically the airline took a hit for the goodwill.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I'm the one who told the story. It was as Telemark said: the airline (American Airlines) was offering a free roundtrip to anywhere out of their own pocket, plus an extra set of amenities (the free drinks and better snacks) to someone who was willing to switch. I know the details, because I was in 1st class, and offered to switch, but I was in the first row, and that didn't work-- they needed someone in one of the other rows to switch, because there is no under-the-seat-in-front-of-you space in the first row, and they were rigging something for her to prop up her upper leg, and needed that space, plus the eaxta inches of 1st class. Apparently she had booked the exit row aisle for the extra legroom, because she had to keep her stump elevated, but didn't realize that she wasn't allowed to sit there; you have to be physically able to open the doors, and assist other passengers, and she walked with crutches, and I believe was a very recent amputee, so probably was taking opioids.

The airline simply could have told her "Sorry," can't fly this trip; go book a 1st class seat on a later flight." Instead, they made it possible for her to stay on that flight, and probably made the person who switched pretty happy. I was flying 1st because it was a long flight, and I wanted to make sure that I had both my carry-ons with me, and for the free wifi-- also because it had been offered as a last-minute upgrade for just a few hundred dollars (the reason I was in the less-desirable front row). A lot of people fly 1st because they like being waited on and drinking a lot-- they don't care that much about bigger seats. Whoever switched was probably very happy swilling free scotch in a smaller seat. And, IIRC, they refunded the 1st class portion of his ticket, but I don't think they charged the woman who was bumped up extra.

So basically the airline took a hit for the goodwill.
Sure, it was nice of the airline to give the lady a better seat.

What isn't nice is stealing money from someone else so they can do that nice thing. That was the part that bothered me. There is a HUGE price difference between a crummy coach seat and a nice first class one. And so to me the only thing that matters is that the airline would be stealing from the poor sap who "volunteered". Of course if he was a rich guy, hundreds of dollars might mean nothing to him, and he might consider it a charitable contribution or something. And maybe he does only care about being allowed to drink, and as long as he could do that he didn't consider his money stolen. I don't know. But for me, since I don't drink, I would very much feel robbed.

But then you clarified that you thought the airline did give the guy his money back, and if they did then no big deal. It's annoying but nothing else.

And I suppose if the voucher thingy was also for the same amount being taken then that might balance the books, as well. But I definitely wouldn't consider that them being nice since they've already stolen money. If the voucher was equal to the stolen money then it's simply belated restitution. If it's less then it's not even that. No thank you's from me.

Once they've given the money back then it doesn't matter the amount of the voucher because then it could actually be considered extra. I still probably wouldn't say thank you though because it's still them trying to apologize after taking something from me. Even if they gave the money back. Now we're simply even and whatever.

I guess technically it's still a loss for the airline since after giving the guy his money back they are out one first class fare, but that was their choice, and airlines are really really rich so I doubt they'd even notice what would amount to pennies to them. And then I guess they might end up being out one additional fare for the voucher, unless they kick someone else who paid off some other plane to accommodate the voucher guy. This could go on for quite some time, but eventually there would probably be an unpaid for seat somewhere. But again, it's still pennies for them.

But at least the story seems to have worked out well in the end for everyone. So yaays, I guess.

Now the amputee lady she lost her leg and had to pay the doctor for taking it. That must have sucked. Even if losing the leg might have let her keep her life, I'm sure she would have rather kept her life and her leg and her money. So that's a situation that cannot be balanced ever.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What isn't nice is stealing money from someone else so they can do that nice thing.
You're having a difficult time understanding the situation. No one stole from anyone. The person who bought a first class ticket was being compensated by getting free future flights, cash, and/or upgrades. They don't force anyone to give up their seats in these situations, they keep raising the compensation until someone thinks it's worth it to them.

You seem to have it in for airlines, when in fact there are no losers in this scenario. I don't know why you insist that there's a bad guy in this?
Old 02-13-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
You're having a difficult time understanding the situation. No one stole from anyone. The person who bought a first class ticket was being compensated by getting free future flights, cash, and/or upgrades. They don't force anyone to give up their seats in these situations, they keep raising the compensation until someone thinks it's worth it to them.

You seem to have it in for airlines, when in fact there are no losers in this scenario. I don't know why you insist that there's a bad guy in this?
Please read this again, TheMysteryWriter. And to add, there are people who jump at the chance to bounce a flight so they get compensation and ultimately end up on top. Just because one or two passengers have been dragged out (because there are safety reasons why a plane CANNOT fly when it's overloaded) does not mean that's what typically happens. It's exceedingly rare.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
Please read this again, TheMysteryWriter. And to add, there are people who jump at the chance to bounce a flight so they get compensation and ultimately end up on top. Just because one or two passengers have been dragged out (because there are safety reasons why a plane CANNOT fly when it's overloaded) does not mean that's what typically happens. It's exceedingly rare.
And to chime in, I have a friend who lives overseas who LOVES overbooked flights. She's gotten many free trips and upgrades that way and has used them for fun trips to places she'd like to go.

I'm going to urge you to seriously rethink your attitude towards airline personnel before you make the trip. Anxiety + hostility/ defensiveness is a bad combination for you and for the people trying to give you and your fellow passengers a safe and smooth flying experience.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:52 PM

I wouldn't call the airline in the example scenario a bad guy since we're assuming they gave him his money back. And something extra he might have been happy with. And they did something nice for the lady.

I guess "steal" isn't the right word since the guy in that story agreed to switch.

It's only stealing when the move is forced, but most of the time it's not forced because peeps are nice and volunteer. And sometimes they're even happy about it. And even when forced they usually get their money back eventually, and are given something extra.

I don't really understand being happy about any of that, but my brain detests change and unpredictability. I just want to sit in the seat I paid for and get to where I'm paying you to take me on time. And I hate changes and delays waay more than I'd like a free flight or cash or whatever.

But I accept that other people don't think like that and feel differently.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't call the airline in the example scenario a bad guy since we're assuming they gave him his money back. And something extra he might have been happy with. And they did something nice for the lady.

I guess "steal" isn't the right word since the guy in that story agreed to switch.

It's only stealing when the move is forced, but most of the time it's not forced because peeps are nice and volunteer. And sometimes they're even happy about it. And even when forced they usually get their money back eventually, and are given something extra.

I don't really understand being happy about any of that, but my brain detests change and unpredictability. I just want to sit in the seat I paid for and get to where I'm paying you to take me on time. And I hate changes and delays waay more than I'd like a free flight or cash or whatever.

But I accept that other people don't think like that and feel differently.
I am more like you - I have a plan laid out and I want to get there when I'm planning on getting there. Totally get that That said, for certain trips (like, say, where you aren't expecting a layover and you can arrive at any time, no issues), it could be totally worthwhile to take a cash incentive or offer of miles. It can be especially beneficial for people who travel a LOT, and less so to someone who hardly ever flies.