Old 02-14-2020, 04:49 PM

Who are you, O Cat?

Young yellow tomcat on doorstep. "Who are you?" was the first thing I said to him.

Does not look or act like a neighboring barn cat: meowing at house door, sleek coat not thick enough for a cat outdoors all winter. Much yowling. Doors shut inbetween my yowling neutered tom and Who-Are-You. Who-Are-You is now shut in spare bedroom, which I hope he's not pissing all over. (Yes, he has a cat pan. Also food and water, which he was pleased about.) He wanted back out, but for one thing I want to be able to let my cats out without a fight, and for another forecast for tonight is below zero F and he really doesn't look dressed for it. Looks to me like a mostly-but-not-quite-grown tom; very orange tabby.

I have called several neighbors; my vet.; the county humane society; the county Animal Control; and semi-local radio hotline, at the last of which I left a message (they run call-in listings early in the morning; I called them once years ago about a found dog and the people who'd lost the dog had just called in ten minutes before.) Vet. says if nobody turns up they can check him for a chip, though they're dubious that a tomcat is chipped (I suppose most people who get their cats chipped also neuter them. Balls are smallish but they look to me like they're there; and area around door sure smells like tomcat.)

It is possible I have another cat.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:07 PM

Well, we must come with a name.
I'm liking Cecil
Or Rudy, as in Rudolph Valentino.

Yay! New kitty!!
☺️
Old 02-14-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

It is possible I have another cat.
Yep, it's best to just accept your fate human slave.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Well, we must come with a name.
I'm liking Cecil
Or Rudy, as in Rudolph Valentino.
Who Are You? Tommy.

(Or maybe Roger.)
Old 02-14-2020, 05:31 PM

The translation of the meow in response to the question:

I am your new overlord. You have been selected to serve. Prove yourself worthy.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:53 PM

Yup, you have another cat. At least he's smart enough to meow at your doorstep.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 PM

Yeah, I've seen that before
Old 02-14-2020, 06:43 PM

I am fantasizing hearing a car coming up the road with people leaning out the windows calling for their cat. So far this does not seem to be actually happening.

The three cats who have been living here are none of them happy about the situation. Who Are You seems pretty relaxed about it; though he would prefer to come out of the room. I'm not at all sure that he realizes that he'd be coming out into an attack by two of the others (the Old Cat I expect would sit this one out.) They'd probably get over it in time; but tonight is not the time.

(I don't, somehow, feel that he's Cecil, or Roger. He's definitely not Tommy, who was a Siamese of my childhood. Maybe Rudy -- he is rather ruddy. Maybe he's Mert -- I've kind of wanted to name a cat Merton for years, because cats can say Mrrrt; though not all cats say it, and I haven't heard this one say it yet. But he'd better stay Who Are You? for now, just in case somebody shows up and answers the question. This is certainly a cat who's been in a house before; and well fed and patted.)

I can hear somebody upstairs saying "RRRRrrrrrrrrrrowWWwowrrrrr"; though not very loudly. And there's a good latch on that door, for situations just like this.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:16 PM

When I've brought foster cats home my 2 Siamese go into a snit like you wouldn't believe.
I've found just throwing the noob right in the mix and let fortune favor the luckiest(if the foster is well and in the right weight class)
My 2 are all noise it seems. You might get a slap fest over feeding time.
I do separately feed the noob.
Goes w/o saying YMMV.
It's never lasted 2 days. My cut-off would be a week.
Good luck with your little stranger.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Put a posting on your local FB pets lost and found page, and on your Nextdoor.com page. Just in case.

On Christmas Day my neighbors called me, asking if one of the two feral cats I was adopting through a local TNP program was loose, because they had a yellow tom on their porch and he wouldn't leave. I said neither of my ferals is yellow, but they could stick him in the extra crate in my barn - he was welcome to be a 3rd barn cat. For 3 weeks, he meet me in the pasture and walked with me to my barn, ate, and hung out for scritches. Then suddenly he was gone as soon as he came. None of the neighbor have seen him. We assume he might have come from some houses built behind my farm about 1/4 mile away, and went back when the weather turned colder.

StG
Old 02-14-2020, 07:25 PM

He's Hugh--Hugh R. Yu! Awww, kitteh.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Who Are You? Tommy.

(Or maybe Roger.)
You mean Tommy The Cat
Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Put a posting on your local FB pets lost and found page, and on your Nextdoor.com page. Just in case.
I don't do Facebook, and I don't think there is a Nextdoor group in my area, though it seems difficult to tell without signing up. A fair percentage of the neighbors are Old Order Mennonite, though, and not on the net at all; and the rest of us are pretty scattered; it doesn't seem to be what Nextdoor's set up for. (I did put the word out on the Mennonite grapevine, by calling one such neighbor. The cat's unlikely to be from such a household, though, as they generally only have barn cats -- those do wander through here from time to time, but they show no signs of trying to come into the house let alone of being entirely comfortable shut in a room in a house, and in February they'd almost certainly have thicker coats.)

There are some lost-pet sites on line, I think; I'll probably investigate some of those tomorrow if the radio doesn't turn up anybody.

Beckdawrek, I like to let cats get a good smell of each other under doors for a while before introducing. And Who Are You is a full tom, and one of mine fights hard enough that I've had to treat abscesses before from a meeting with a wandering tom out in the barn, never mind right inside the house. I don't think the fight would be all noise, if I let it happen now. By the time it's been a week or two, it might well be at least mostly noise; plus which, if Who Are You is staying, he's got a trip to the vet. in his future.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
He's Hugh--Hugh R. Yu!
That's a pretty good one!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Pictures! Of all the denizens.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:35 PM

I did take some pictures; but I don't have an account anywhere on a hosting site, and I gather that I can't upload them direct to the SDMB from my computer.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:14 AM

Flikr is free.
Personally for me, it's hard to use. I havn't figured it out yet.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:36 AM

Go to imgur.com and hit the "new post" button. Drag and drop your pic onto the square that shows up. When you see the picture, right click on it and "copy link location" then come here and paste it in the thread. Done!
Old 02-15-2020, 12:32 PM

Don't you have to set up an Imgur account first?

-- maybe I will get an account there; but I'm one of those people who actually have to read the terms first, for all the good it does me, as they generally amount to 'we can do what we want and you agree that you can't do anything about it.'

-- Cat is still in spare bedroom. Knocked some things over overnight; well, he's a cat. Wants pats with his food; is taking being shut up surprisingly well. Maybe despite that sleek coat he'd been on his own longer than I'd guessed and is right now just pleased to be inside. The others have stopped guarding the door, unless they see me going in there.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:58 PM

Imgur is great because no, you don't have to set up any sort of account you can just hop over and host a pic willy nilly--about 95% of the pics on reddit are hosted there. Once posted the pics are public though so I wouldn't drop anything there that has identifying information in it but cat pics? Most of the site is cat pics!
Old 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM

Ok does this work?

Who Are You?

https://imgur.com/a/nqmYDYq

That seems to link to the page; but I just realized there's a "copy" link, let's try that --

https://imgur.com/uom4Ew8

Last edited by thorny locust; 02-15-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:59 PM

Out of editing time --

-- those both seem to do the same thing. Can others either see the pic in the post, or get to it via the link?
Old 02-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Both work for me. He is a cutie
Old 02-15-2020, 04:12 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I saw the pic - pretty kitteh!
Old 02-15-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Out of editing time --

-- those both seem to do the same thing. Can others either see the pic in the post, or get to it via the link?
I see a lovely ginger butt eating his dinner, same photo for both links.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:49 PM

Oooh, so stripy! And my instruction to right click and copy link location is more specific toward, say, the Raffe where you can post inline pics--hit the picture button and paste the link to the specific .jpg. Otherwise, using the copy link on the page or copypasta of the URL of the picture are basically the same--you'll get to the page with the pic on it.

Congrats on your new overlord!
Old 02-15-2020, 05:14 PM

Awe, cute kitty. You could call him Donald since he's orange. But that would prolly be cruel to the poor cat. You wouldn't want the others to make fun of him. Daniel Tiger is always a good name, except for the initials.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:19 PM

OK, I have succeeded at picture posting!

Most of the pictures I took were just a kind of orange blur; I think he's mostly sleeping when he's alone (except for whenever he knocked all that stuff off the shelves during the night, of course -- nothing breakable); but whenever I'm in there he's generally moving.

I've posted him on tabbytracker, and checked the craigslist of lost cats within 50 miles of my zip code. Will be in town on Monday, and will put up some posters. If nobody surfaces by midweek, I'll make him a vet appointment, and have them check for a chip; not sure whether to go straight to neutering at that point if they don't find one (at the possible risk of a human turning up who didn't want their cat neutered) or just get him the first round of shots and wait to neuter at the three-week feleuk booster point.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:43 PM

He's a cute one, for sure.
Isn't that what they call a marmalade Tabby?
Old 02-15-2020, 05:59 PM

What beautiful markings! He deserves a wonderful name. I was thinking "Rubles," but maybe that'd feel odd to you.

I hope the others will accept him in time. How long are you going to wait before declaring him officially yours?
Old 02-15-2020, 06:29 PM

Nice place settings. Corning Ware, no?

I think he already owns the joint.

Congratulations!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:30 PM

He is a very pretty cat -- really striking markings.

Probably a couple of weeks before I'll feel fairly secure that nobody else is coming for him. I seem to have shifted from hoping that somebody does to hoping that nobody does, though.

Got to go feed the Old Cat now --
Old 02-15-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Nice place settings. Corning Ware, no?
No idea. We've had those grey plastic dishes at least since I was a child; 1950's, probably.

-- ah. What they say on the bottom is
Ever Ware
Arrowhead (over a graphic of an arrowhead)
Cleveland Ohio Made in USA
Brookpark Pattern
D B

(I think. Some of it's very small print.)

So no, not Corning.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:05 PM

He's beautiful! Thanks for taking him in! It doesn't sound like you're anywhere close to this, but take him to the vet before you introduce your cats. He needs the FIV and FeLV tests. You probably know that.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:40 PM

How about "Nonny" (short for Anony-mouse)?
Old 02-15-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I think so too.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
He's a cute one, for sure.
Name him "Jelly".
Old 02-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Anyone who is trying to find a home for a cat, already has.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Ok does this work?

Who Are You?

https://imgur.com/a/nqmYDYq

That seems to link to the page; but I just realized there's a "copy" link, let's try that --

https://imgur.com/uom4Ew8
Oh, my, those an interesting markings. Legend has it that Dick Whittington's famous cat was an orange tabby. Don't know why that popped into my head.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:59 AM

Handsome little fella! Hope he finds his home if he has one, even if that's yours.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
OK, I have succeeded at picture posting!
Congratulations!

The kitty's markings are marvelous. So pretty.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:02 PM

Pretty boy!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Out of editing time --

They both work. The first one (with the /a/ in the link) is a link to the album, while the other is a link to the individual picture. Since you only uploaded one image without clicking the button to add another image, the album and the single image are basically the same thing.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:37 PM

He's pretty, like sunshine. I'm afraid he may be an abandoned cat. I hate it when people do that crap but just sometimes it comes out better for everyone.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 AM

What a spectacular stripy tail he has.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:25 AM

He might have been abandoned -- but he's a young full tom, and it's February. He may have gone tomcatting and gone too far, and gotten lost; or may have gotten into a car or truck someplace, and gotten out again quite far from home.

I've put up several posters in the nearest village; and put classifieds in three different local papers. Combined with earlier described efforts, and with the anticipated chip check, I do believe I've done my due diligence (though one of the papers is a weekly and not out yet, and the widest readership of another is for their weekly freebie advertising version, which won't be out till Saturday.)

He's got a vet. appointment for Thursday; they'll check for a chip, and, if they don't find one, will inoculate him. The feline leukemia vaccine needs a booster three weeks later; if his previous humans haven't surfaced by then, I'll have him neutered.

While I haven't let him loose around the others yet, he's exchanged some friendly sniffs, while I held him, from a short distance with the previously-threatening neutered tom; who seems to have decided that while Strange Cat Outside was a Threat to be Driven Off, Cat Indoors And Starting To Smell Familiar is instead a likely friend. The Cat-Who-Maybe-Lives-Here-And-Maybe-Is-Just-Boarding is more dubious, and hissed at Who-Are-You's scent on my hands after I'd been patting him. The Old Cat is ignoring the whole thing, though I'm sure she knows he's there.

He might be Merton, by the way. He did say Mrrrt.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:32 PM

I'd keep him away from the others until he's been tested for FIV. It sounds like he is pretty used to humans though if he's already making noises at you.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 PM

Merrrrrton is an excellent name.

A very handsome cat.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I'd keep him away from the others until he's been tested for FIV. It sounds like he is pretty used to humans though if he's already making noises at you.
They'll test him when they inoculate, I think.

He's definitely very used to humans. A cat who's not used to humans doesn't let a human pick him up. Mert let me pick him up almost immediately, and let me carry him into the house; and has since then been more interested in pats than in anything else, even food, water, and getting back out of the room he's been shut into. Not that he hasn't made it quite clear that he wants those other things too. (The food and water he has, of course.)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:50 PM

No chip. Feleuk and FIV negative. Ear mites, which I had suspected. Abscess developing in one hind paw from a wound I'd missed -- he hasn't been limping.

Full round of inoculations. Injected antibiotic for the abscess. Ears cleaned out. Topical med useful against both ear mites and worms, for all four cats -- mine hadn't been wormed in a while, and this will keep them from catching the earmites before the med's had time to work on maybe-Merton. Appointment made for booster shots and neutering in three weeks. Vet-approved to mix with the others, though he shouldn't go outside until after the three-week appointment.

If his original humans show up now, I hope they want to pay the vet. bill; though I don't know that I'd blame them for refusing to pay for the inoculations if he's already had them.

Vet. thinks he's about a year and a half old or so -- probably a spring 2018 kitten. He has tartar on his teeth and barbs on his penis, apparently both unlikely if he were under a year (I didn't look at his penis, didn't realize vet was doing so when she did it); but he doesn't have that wide jowly face that full toms get, and she said that usually doesn't develop until they're 2.

She also said he might easily have covered as much as 15 miles over a couple of days out tomcatting; though my ads in assorted papers should cover that area and then some, at least unless we're measuring across the lake, but I'm sure he didn't swim across a couple of miles of lake in February. Possibly he's already left kittens in the gene pool; though it's quite likely that he got driven off by a succession of barn cat toms -- he has the size and condition to potentially win a fight, but doesn't seem to have a high feline belligerence level.

When I brought him back home, Resident Neutered Tom was in the kitchen. I tried putting maybe-Merton down on the floor a couple of feet away. Maybe-Merton turned away and went to explore a different part of the kitchen. Resident Male proceeded to sniff the cat carrier Maybe-Mert had just gotten out of. After a couple of minutes I put Mrrt back in his room for now; but it looks to me like neither of them wants a fight.