Old 04-19-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyPhil View Post
The Mueller Report clearly states there was no such evidence.
No it doesn't.

There was evidence that he was an agent for a foreign power. There was evidence that Russia attempted to recruit him. There was evidence that Russia tried to interfere with the election. The Mueller report (as far as we've seen) doesn't deny any of that.

What it denies is that the ensuing investigation uncovered any evidence that the Russians were successful in their attempt to recruit Page.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
The point is that they know he's not "an agent of a foreign government" because he has assisted the FBI in convicting an individual that was acting as "an agent of a foreign government".
I think I see a flaw in your reasoning. You seem to think that a person cannot be two things at the same time.

It is entirely possible to be an agent of a foreign government while assisting the FBI in catching a different agent of a foreign government. *

Back in the 80s, there were 2 LAPD police officers who were also mob hit men. Cops by day, contract killers on the side. If we were to apply your reasoning, the cops couldn't be contact killers because they were active police officers. But there were doing both. Not really living up to the professional standards and ethics of either job, I grant you, but they were doing it nonetheless.

I not saying he did or didn't, because I have no idea. I'm just saying that is possible

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Yeah, in this economy, lots of people have to get a second job. Thanks, Obama!
Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I think I see a flaw in your reasoning. You seem to think that a person cannot be two things at the same time.

It is entirely possible to be an agent of a foreign government while assisting the FBI in catching a different agent of a foreign government. *

Back in the 80s, there were 2 LAPD police officers who were also mob hit men. Cops by day, contract killers on the side. If we were to apply your reasoning, the cops couldn't be contact killers because they were active police officers. But there were doing both. Not really living up to the professional standards and ethics of either job, I grant you, but they were doing it nonetheless.

I not saying he did or didn't, because I have no idea. I'm just saying that is possible
The Mueller report makes it clear there was no basis for the FISA because if there was the FBI agents working with Mueller would have merely had to go to their colleagues to get the evidence used to get the FISA.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWave View Post
No it doesn't.

There was evidence that he was an agent for a foreign power. There was evidence that Russia attempted to recruit him. There was evidence that Russia tried to interfere with the election. The Mueller report (as far as we've seen) doesn't deny any of that.

What it denies is that the ensuing investigation uncovered any evidence that the Russians were successful in their attempt to recruit Page.
The Mueller Report contradicts this, see the quote I posted from the report itself.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The Mueller Report contradicts this, see the quote I posted from the report itself.
It would be quite easy for you to copy and paste the relevant section(s) from the mueller report that would back up your claim.

IOW - CITE?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM

I thought "agent of foreign power" just referred to someone who works on behalf of a foreign government? It's perfectly legal to be an agent of a foreign power, within certain limitations (e.g. you have to register as such).
Old 04-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
From the Mueller Report:

I ask again, why did the FBI lie about Carter Page on the FISA warrant?
As has been pointed out several times, you have a problem reading your cites in context.

Starting an investigation based on allegations of wrongdoing obviously has a lower standard of proof than what one may expect at the conclusion of the investigation.

Just because Mueller found that Carter Page is perhaps the dullest knife in the Trump drawer, which is really saying something, doesnít mean that a warrant to investigate Page is illegitimate.

If we listened to you, we would have nonsense where you would expect police not to start an investigation until there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt of someoneís guilt. This obviously results in a catch-22 where the facts of what happened canít be established without an investigation; but and investigation canít be started without all the facts being in.

The real story here is your obsession with one of the biggest dolts in America today, and making him out like heís been oppressed like Nelson Mandela.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
As has been pointed out several times, you have a problem reading your cites in context.

Starting an investigation based on allegations of wrongdoing obviously has a lower standard of proof than what one may expect at the conclusion of the investigation.

Just because Mueller found that Carter Page is perhaps the dullest knife in the Trump drawer, which is really saying something, doesn’t mean that a warrant to investigate Page is illegitimate.

If we listened to you, we would have nonsense where you would expect police not to start an investigation until there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt of someone’s guilt. This obviously results in a catch-22 where the facts of what happened can’t be established without an investigation; but and investigation can’t be started without all the facts being in.

The real story here is your obsession with one of the biggest dolts in America today, and making him out like he’s been oppressed like Nelson Mandela.
Nice post.

First, I’m not 100% clear of the circumstances surrounding Page’s 2013 assistance with an FBI matter, but I’m pretty sure it came about only AFTER he was caught on a wiretapped conversation offering assistance to some Russians. AFTER which he did agree to cooperate. And he did claim that his intent was not to help the Russians but to give them useless information. Which is sort of , well, maybe half of America would be inclined to believe that.

But even if an investigation clears someone, that doesn’t mean they never should’ve been investigated.

This is important to remember because Trump has been gas lighting half of America about how law enforcement works.

Andrew McCabe described the process in his book. I’m paraphrasing from memory and can’t dredge up all the details, but here’s the basic outline.

The FBI doesn’t just get a tip or hunch and decide to launch a full blown investigation. There are multiple levels of preliminary inquiry. For a FARA ( foreign agent registration) investigation, a couple of slanted Op-eds by a political consultant might be enough to launch a preliminary inquiry. An informant tip might be enough ( the recent high-profile Varsity Blues bribery cases were started because a guy being prosecuted for totally unrelated financial crimes had heard about the college admissions bribes from friends and was trying to make a deal.) My point is the bar for launching a prelimary inquiry is really low.

During the preliminary inquiry the agents can “ask around”, as it were. They may have a mutual friend go visit the suspect to poke around a bit and engage in friendly yet purposeful conversation.

If they find anything that confirms their suspicions they can escalate again, and subpoena phone* and bank records. *Just call logs, not the content of the conversations.

After this step, they can then unleash their full investigative powers. But everything is reviewed and discussed at every step.

With regards to Page, I think, given his history, that the FBI was properly alarmed when he turned up as an advisor to a major Presidential candidate. And that in and of itself would more than meet the very low bar to launch a preliminary inquiry.

And As for the clusterfucking that made them all look as guilty as hell.....remember Trump is a reality TV professional. He specializes in guiding and goading his underlings to do increasingly stupid stuff to curry his favor and sabotage each other. So they were all outdoing themselves to do things like arrange ultimately worthless meetings with Russians and take credit for crimes they had nothing to do with. And to leak to the press constantly. No wonder they drew attention.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 04-19-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller report
the investigation did not establish that Page coordinated with the Russian government in it efforts to interfere with the 2016 presidential election.
Does not imply

Quote:
the Mueller Report clearly states there was no such evidence.
Another direct quote from the Mueller report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller report
A statement that the investigation did not establish particular facts does not mean there was no evidence of those facts.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 04-19-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
The Mueller Report clearly states there was no such evidence.
How would one go about determining whether or not there was such evidence?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
There is no evidence.
Why is anyone even continue to argue? This sums up the entire argument very succinctly and tells you all you need to know.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Quote:
...issued more than 2,800 subpoenas, executed nearly 500 search warrants, obtained more than 230 orders for communication records, issued almost 50 orders authorizing use of pen registers, made 13 requests to foreign governments for evidence, and interviewed approximately 500 witnesses...
As you can see, a lot of resources were tasked to find this evidence, I think if it existed it would have been found. The key thing to remember is that many claimed the evidence existed but yet Mueller and his team couldn't find it.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:22 AM

Page 95 of the Mueller report is where section IV. A. 3. Carter Page begins.

That section contains a bunch of evidence that Carter Page was an agent of a foreign power.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
As you can see, a lot of resources were tasked to find this evidence, I think if it existed it would have been found. The key thing to remember is that many claimed the evidence existed but yet Mueller and his team couldn't find it.
You didn't answer my question.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question.
I did answer your question. Why do you think the Mueller team didn't find the evidence that many claimed existed with regards to the collusion/conspiracy with Russia?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is. I have seen many validly issued search warrants that don't result in the thing they're looking for being found. You don't judge a warrant with hindsight.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I did answer your question. Why do you think the Mueller team didn't find the evidence that many claimed existed with regards to the collusion/conspiracy with Russia?
Well, the (at least) 10 cases of obstruction of justice outlined in the Muller report may have something to do with it.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Mueller didn't find evidence that Page colluded with Russia to interfere in the 2016 election. Mueller didn't look for evidence that Page colluded with Russia in other ways, and the FISA warrant did not say Page's activities as a foreign agent were limited to the 2016 election. You are adding 1 and 1 and making 3.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 04-26-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
You could become a federal prosecutor and conduct an investigation.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:

That section contains a bunch of evidence that Carter Page was an agent of a foreign power.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWave View Post
If memory serves, two Russian intelligence agents (in recorded conversation) thought Page was too stupid to be a worthwhile asset. So he wasn't even considered a 'useful' idiot. Which doesn't exonerate Page in any way.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
If memory serves, two Russian intelligence agents (in recorded conversation) thought Page was too stupid to be a worthwhile asset. So he wasn't even considered a 'useful' idiot. Which doesn't exonerate Page in any way.
You are basically correct.

You can find out a little more about this on page 97 of vol. I of the Mueller report (in section IV. A. 3. Carter Page). That's the part of the report that contains a ton of evidence that Page was an agent of a foreign power.

For more info just follow the lead given by footnote 532 of the Mueller report, "See Buryakov Complaint; see also Indictment, United States v. Buryakov, 1:15-cr-73 (S.D.N.Y. Feb. 9, 2015), Doc. 10;" The Buryakov Complaint contains another pile of evidence that Carter Page was an agent of a foreign power.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:34 AM

I would quibble a bit with "agent", in the sense outlined above that he is too damn stupid to have "agency". For the same reason, I doubt that Il Douche is personally guilty of collaboration/collusion. The still, unblinking eye of the hurricane of shit whirling about him.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:56 AM

An incompetent buffoon who overestimates his abilities and thus fails in his attempt to successfully pull off a crime is still charged, and often convicted.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Easy Phil, are you under the impression that the Mueller probe’s goals included examining the circumstances surrounding the issuing of the FISA warrant on Page, for the purposes of either impeaching or validating it’s legitimacy?

It looks to me like you’re implying that.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
An incompetent buffoon who overestimates his abilities and thus fails in his attempt to successfully pull off a crime is still charged, and often convicted.
True, but Carter Page was never charged or convicted and more importantly the Mueller report concludes that no American conspired with Russians to interfere in the 2016 election.

Last edited by EasyPhil; 05-19-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Easy Phil, are you under the impression that the Mueller probeís goals included examining the circumstances surrounding the issuing of the FISA warrant on Page, for the purposes of either impeaching or validating itís legitimacy?

It looks to me like youíre implying that.
No, it's clear that isn't in the Mueller Report but what's clear is that the evidence that the FBI used to assert that Carter Page was an agent of a foreign power i.e. Russia, was not found or made available to Mueller's team since the report concluded that no American conspired with the Russians with respect to the 2016 election.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post

What does the evidence say? Why wasn't he charged?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Jays Fan

You were told where to look, literally given a page number. Just read it.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
conduct an investigation.
Hey; there's the answer to my question! Now, how should this be done, if investigating is not allowed?

The OP is an exercise in ridiculousness, presenting an argument that cannot be backed up or concluded. It rebukes the investigation for not already knowing what it would find out. It is just stupidity in written form.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-19-2019 at 08:59 AM.